Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why haven't official sales figures been released yet?

ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
So the game has been out nearly nine months now which is as long as someone can be pregnant and give birth to a baby. I'm wondering, why EA hasn't released sales figures for the Sims 4 yet? I know there are these articles:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/electronic-arts-earnings-rise-as-digital-sales-surge-1430858652
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2015/05/04/electronic-arts-earnings-preview-new-battlefield-title-might-be-the-only-highlight-in-q4-report/ But there is nothing mentioned about the Sims 4.

But from an accounting curiosity perspective and since I know EA is a publically traded company, why haven't the figures been released yet? I know some Simmers hold some EA stock, so shouldn't they know how well the game is performing or not?

What we do know. Source: http://investor.ea.com/
"Maxis will continue to deliver great new content for The Sims 4, including another
expansion pack, multiple game packs and additional game updates for the growing Sims
4 player community."

"Third, full game downloads added $114 million to the quarter, flat year on year, with strong
sales of Battlefield Hardline, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and The Sims 4 offsetting the fall off in
Battlefield 4 and Titanfall sales. Our Origin service for PC gamers increased its monthly
player engagement levels by two-thirds over the previous year, and continues to strongly
grow revenue and users."

" As a reminder, the major non-sports titles last year were Battlefield Hardline, Dragon Age: Inquisition
and The Sims 4, all of which are wholly-owned IP.

Although the dollar’s rise has a negative impact on revenue, it has a positive impact on
expenses, since about 46% of our R&D expense is outside the U.S. This natural hedge is worth
approximately $100 million in FY16, and offsets the increased investment we’re planning for
new IP and our digital platform. As a result, we expect non-GAAP operating expense of
$1.98 billion, marginally down compared to fiscal 15."

So seems like the Sims 4 is offsetting some of the expenses of other games. The value of the dollar is helping with their expenses. The Sims 4 will get one more EP, more game packs, and more updates.

According to the NPD which can be iffy, the Sims 4 was the top selling computer game of 2014. I think with the game doing that well according to that, they would brag about it more.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/04/14/esa-dispenses-the-facts-about-video-games-and-gamers.aspx

So this isn't official but what I came out with using VGChartz. I know it is only physical copies, but it isn't bad.
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=sims+4&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200 Sims 2 amount based on: http://www.transformingnetworkinfrastructure.com/news/2005/feb/1114806.htm

Sims 1: 11.24 million
Sims 2: 4.5 million
Sims 3: 7.71 million
Sims 4: 1.69 million

Taking the ranges of the US prices only of $30-$70, sales could be anywhere from $50,070,000 to $118,300,000 for physical sales.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
Post edited by Scobre on

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Sims 4 has sold more copies than all of the Sims games combined. B)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    I'd love to see proof of that. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    FoxcrestFoxcrest Posts: 348 Member
    Cue the ones who swoop in with their amazon links and conjured up explanations proving the Sims 4 is a commercial success.

I eagerly await the new proof they have on hand
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I'd love to know that myself.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    I do find that odd, and it makes me curious since the CEO came out and said it was apparently selling well. To me them not releasing the sales figures hints otherwise.
  • Options
    dmel25 wrote: »
    I do find that odd, and it makes me curious since the CEO came out and said it was apparently selling well. To me them not releasing the sales figures hints otherwise.
    Yeah it is odd. I mean the Sims title is a big game. Why not release figures for it?
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    EA gave birth to Sims 4?! No wonder it's still all empty, it needs to grow into a toddlers ;);)
    LOL oh Bon, that is the comment of the day for me. <3 Thanks for making me laugh.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah it is odd. I mean the Sims title is a big game. Why not release figures for it?

Exactly, the Sims is huge so why not show the sales figures? My guess would be because they are not good, but that goes against what the CEO apparently says.
  • Options

Exactly, the Sims is huge so why not show the sales figures? My guess would be because they are not good, but that goes against what the CEO apparently says.
    I don't know, but I still would like to know. I mean it doesn't seem to be in the red, so why not show it off?
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    I think their emabrrased to release the sales figures. I think we all know this hasn't been as succsessful as they hoped.
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    EA gave birth to Sims 4?! No wonder it's still all empty, it needs to grow into a toddlers ;);)

Lol your comments always make me die laughing.
  • Options
    Because it's "too hard" and "too expensive" to release those sales figures. :lol:

Oh how could we forget it. Maybe "things change" and they don't want to release sales figures anymore?
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    LOL oh Bon, that is the comment of the day for me. <3 Thanks for making me laugh.

*Takes trophy*

Lol your comments always make me die laughing.

Oh no! Not another death by laughter *Goes into hiding*
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

so can you post your copy of the report on that?

It really makes me wonder when they didn't hesitate to post previous incarnations figures or even their other titles.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    The most recent published EA financial results show that PC titles represent approx. 20% of net revenue broken down by platform. Console games represent approx. 67% of net revenue; those titles are probably of much more interest to investors. There are no specific earnings given for any title in the report, just a selection of hours-played type info, and that "for fiscal year 2015 EA was the #1 publisher on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles in the world." In the prepared comments that accompany the earnings call, lots of titles are discussed, Sims 4 included; no earnings numbers are given for any title. Sims isn't getting special secrecy treatment here.

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The most recent published EA financial results show that PC titles represent approx. 20% of net revenue broken down by platform. Console games represent approx. 67% of net revenue; those titles are probably of much more interest to investors. There are no specific earnings given for any title in the report, just a selection of hours-played type info, and that "for fiscal year 2015 EA was the #1 publisher on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles in the world." In the prepared comments that accompany the earnings call, lots of titles are discussed, Sims 4 included; no earnings numbers are given for any title. Sims isn't getting special secrecy treatment here.
    Battlefield Headlines was mentioned as the top performer though. That's what I don't get. EA was fine releasing sales figures for the Sims 1, 2, and 3 titles. Why is it different for the Sims 4? In a sense by not releasing, isn't the Sims 4 getting a special treatment? The other titles did fine having the financial sales figures shown for the game.
  • Options
    SimChic1 wrote: »
    Because no one wants to admit that something they've praised up and down was received so poorly by fans that they most likely lost a big chunk of their older fan base by essentially destroying what the series was built on.

Or maybe they tried but it's another that couldn't figure out how to do either.
    Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. Maybe the truth hurts. I doubt they were not able to do the accounting for the Sims 4 since the numbers for the financial reports for EA were done pretty detailed to the dollar amounts. If it was poorly done, it would have been rounded to the nearest 0s.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Battlefield Headlines was mentioned as the top performer though. That's what I don't get. EA was fine releasing sales figures for the Sims 1, 2, and 3 titles. Why is it different for the Sims 4? In a sense by not releasing, isn't the Sims 4 getting a special treatment? The other titles did fine having the financial sales figures shown for the game.

It's not special treatment unless you release sales figures for other games too. They aren't releasing sales figures for any of the games. What's different is how they're handling sales figures, period. That's not about Sims. Maybe individual sales don't matter as much to investors as overall revenue patterns, etc.? I dunno. Has EA stock plummeted since they stopped trumpeting individual title sales figures?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,452 Member
    SimChic1 wrote: »
    Because no one wants to admit that something they've praised up and down was received so poorly by fans that they most likely lost a big chunk of their older fan base by essentially destroying what the series was built on.

Or maybe they tried but it's another that couldn't figure out how to do either.
    Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. Maybe the truth hurts. I doubt they were not able to do the accounting for the Sims 4 since the numbers for the financial reports for EA were done pretty detailed to the dollar amounts. If it was poorly done, it would have been rounded to the nearest 0s.
    Oh the last part was a joke. You know, about how EA can't do stuff right lol They most likely found out the numbers and are withholding them.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @simchic1 appreciate the guote in your post from SimGuruHolms....nice to see that, just wish they would listen to us. I also agree that not releasing the info is proof that the game is not doing as well as they wanted it too.
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,452 Member
    @bekkasan I feel like a few gurus do listen to us. It's just that the big guys (which are often the ones I'm referring to in my rants when I say EA lol) overrule them.
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    Sims 4 is rumoured to be running at circa 1.7 million units.

EDIT:
    Rumour as per VGChartz.