Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Is Wrong With Romance In This Game?

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I have the problem is if the sim is boyfriend/girlfriend and they are living together it says that marry because one is a NPC service sim when they aren't.

I read about that bug. Someone said you had to go through each relationship and make sure they weren't involved with more than one Sim and make them break up. I didn't know they could actually 'go together' without our input or maybe the game just thinks they are if they are in a romance and so you have to either break up with everyone and or make sure to lower and get rid of all other Sims in the romance.
    @Cinebar I meant they can't marry and the thing is I had made that sim for her to marry but it wouldn't let me.

Right, and it's because the game thinks they are involved with another Sim in your Sim panel. Check those, you might be surprised.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I have the problem is if the sim is boyfriend/girlfriend and they are living together it says that marry because one is a NPC service sim when they aren't.

I read about that bug. Someone said you had to go through each relationship and make sure they weren't involved with more than one Sim and make them break up. I didn't know they could actually 'go together' without our input or maybe the game just thinks they are if they are in a romance and so you have to either break up with everyone and or make sure to lower and get rid of all other Sims in the romance.
    @Cinebar I meant they can't marry and the thing is I had made that sim for her to marry but it wouldn't let me.

Right, and it's because the game thinks they are involved with another Sim in your Sim panel. Check those, you might be surprised.
    Will considering how I play and the mods I have I think that they really shouldn't be able to get married though my game allows them to.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    alyseryan32alyseryan32 Posts: 54 Member
    Im glad im not the only one thinking the romance is dead in this game! I get that it may be more realistic because it is harder to flirt and gain romance with a sim but what if I just wanted to have a "friend with benefits" thing or yeah, have my sim who is married have a separate thing on the side. I do not want to spend hours trying to improve the friendship first before I can constantly just flirt without getting denied. I miss the chemistry the sims use to have with actual turn ons and turn offs, where certain traits made you attracted/compatible with one sims over another. I really hope they fix the romance side. I thought the main thing about the sims 4 was suppose to be about emotional driven but they missed one of the main emotional key aspects.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    what bothers me is their lips don't even connect in my game xd
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    GirlhawkGirlhawk Posts: 3 New Member
    Actually.... I found out that you just need to interact to let the sins "get to know" each other.... it's rather simple after I realised this. Quite logic too. You would like to know who you're dealing with I guess. Interact between sims so that I kniw a couple of personal things, like oh this person is vegetarian or oh he is jealous! When they both know a couple of traits of one another they will accept each others flirting attempts. Of course being flirty does help. Although I had a couple flirt for the first time over breakfast while one was flirty and the other was "very uncomfortable" cuz he had to go to the toilet
  • Options
    starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Seriously, I can't seem to get two Sim to like each other while out on public lots. Examples are all my Sims and or townies. I play rotational. So, I decided one business owner would spice it up with another of my Sims who came to her store often. It was very painstaking to say the least.

So, I switched to him so he could ask her on a date, again, slow going. Took her to some clubs etc. Finally they got some sort of relationship well enough to have first kiss out in public at one of Maxis clubs. Maybe, more flirting, more intimate conversations. Great....finally.

I made him invite her over since they were 'love birds', he met her at the door with a kiss. Bam. Over, romance was over. She was annoyed their relationship bars took a big hit, He threw her out. lol Fickle much?

O.K. another scenario, I had another female as doctor who worked with one of my other male Sims in game. Great, they get along well, let's see if I can get them together. This one worked much better, they were friends in no time. Out of the blue (not really but coded that way) he came to her house to visit. Great, I decided I would build up their romantic relationship. (Trying to do all this without any emitters in the homes or clubs etc.)

It worked, they are in love, and 'sweethearts' in the relationship panel.

O.K. that one was go, the other one with the other male was not.

Fine more testing. She saw both them at the grocery store. Time to cause some chaos. So, she flirted with the other male who is her boyfriend's best friend. He got a sad look, and walked off. His friend did become 'romantically interested' but just a bit. Then he refused anymore advances.

What? It was o.k. to flirt with you in front of your best friend to let him see what a cad she was? But as soon as he walks off, you decide you don't want anymore advances? Classic. And he was there with the girl which had turned him down for a kiss at his house, who were so supposed to be in love. They are now out in public all over when I don't play either of them. But If I play either one, they get all fussy about a kiss, etc.

Confessing attraction always winds up backfiring.

So, I decided I would make a female who would snag that one Sim who would not get into any relationship since the other one got upset he flirted though she loved him.

Doesn't work. I send her to a nightclub I built nightly (party animal) just to see if I can do this like we did this in TS2, playing both roles, from different households. She can flirt with the Sims, can say all sorts of things, but then it just goes too far and they loose all interests.

It's annoying. They can all be flirty from the room, or whatever, but as far as building relationships without moving Sims in together and playing both of them imho, is almost impossible in this game, and way too time consuming.

I can build two sims to the proposal stage within 1-2 sim-days before moving them in together. It's easy. One thing I learned is never flirt right of the bat if you go over that one day. Get the other sim comfortable first, then throw on the love. If they're not compatible, I run into the same scenario as you, and I generally wind up regretting getting them together. Right now, my one poor sim that I pushed it on because he was having the same issue it sounds like you're running into is trying to kill his wife. She's the biggest mistake he ever made.

As for the confess attraction: yeah. It always backfires. It never works for me.

Has anyone ever had confess attraction work? It's one of my big no-no interactions because I've never seen it succeed. I never "ask risque question" either, because, while I have had it work on occasion, it seems to backfire way more than other options.

Otherwise I'd say, never really flirt* if your sim or the other Sim has a negative moodlet, and things are much harder in a group conversation as flirts, even well received ones, lead to awkward conversation in groups and that makes future flirts less likely to work. Normally if I get them in a flirty mood I keep moving forward, especially if both Sims are flirty as the bonus odds to succeed is great and if I don't use it here I have to use flirty interactions in a non-flirty mood to get them back to flirt at a future date, so backing off when flirty is basically a method to lower the odds of it working out (I never use flirty aura objects as they seem pretty creepy to me, but if you do you don't have to deal with this).

* Using flirt as any generic non-working social interaction, not just "flirt".
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Options
    CxpmemeCxpmeme Posts: 76 Member
    The same thing happens to me but its opposite. One of my sims has a "boyfriend" and when they are in public lots, there is romance between them but when they are in residential lots, the boyfriend wants absolutely nothing to do with my sim
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    starcrunch wrote: »
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Seriously, I can't seem to get two Sim to like each other while out on public lots. Examples are all my Sims and or townies. I play rotational. So, I decided one business owner would spice it up with another of my Sims who came to her store often. It was very painstaking to say the least.

So, I switched to him so he could ask her on a date, again, slow going. Took her to some clubs etc. Finally they got some sort of relationship well enough to have first kiss out in public at one of Maxis clubs. Maybe, more flirting, more intimate conversations. Great....finally.

I made him invite her over since they were 'love birds', he met her at the door with a kiss. Bam. Over, romance was over. She was annoyed their relationship bars took a big hit, He threw her out. lol Fickle much?

O.K. another scenario, I had another female as doctor who worked with one of my other male Sims in game. Great, they get along well, let's see if I can get them together. This one worked much better, they were friends in no time. Out of the blue (not really but coded that way) he came to her house to visit. Great, I decided I would build up their romantic relationship. (Trying to do all this without any emitters in the homes or clubs etc.)

It worked, they are in love, and 'sweethearts' in the relationship panel.

O.K. that one was go, the other one with the other male was not.

Fine more testing. She saw both them at the grocery store. Time to cause some chaos. So, she flirted with the other male who is her boyfriend's best friend. He got a sad look, and walked off. His friend did become 'romantically interested' but just a bit. Then he refused anymore advances.

What? It was o.k. to flirt with you in front of your best friend to let him see what a cad she was? But as soon as he walks off, you decide you don't want anymore advances? Classic. And he was there with the girl which had turned him down for a kiss at his house, who were so supposed to be in love. They are now out in public all over when I don't play either of them. But If I play either one, they get all fussy about a kiss, etc.

Confessing attraction always winds up backfiring.

So, I decided I would make a female who would snag that one Sim who would not get into any relationship since the other one got upset he flirted though she loved him.

Doesn't work. I send her to a nightclub I built nightly (party animal) just to see if I can do this like we did this in TS2, playing both roles, from different households. She can flirt with the Sims, can say all sorts of things, but then it just goes too far and they loose all interests.

It's annoying. They can all be flirty from the room, or whatever, but as far as building relationships without moving Sims in together and playing both of them imho, is almost impossible in this game, and way too time consuming.

I can build two sims to the proposal stage within 1-2 sim-days before moving them in together. It's easy. One thing I learned is never flirt right of the bat if you go over that one day. Get the other sim comfortable first, then throw on the love. If they're not compatible, I run into the same scenario as you, and I generally wind up regretting getting them together. Right now, my one poor sim that I pushed it on because he was having the same issue it sounds like you're running into is trying to kill his wife. She's the biggest mistake he ever made.

As for the confess attraction: yeah. It always backfires. It never works for me.

Has anyone ever had confess attraction work? It's one of my big no-no interactions because I've never seen it succeed. I never "ask risque question" either, because, while I have had it work on occasion, it seems to backfire way more than other options.

Otherwise I'd say, never really flirt* if your sim or the other Sim has a negative moodlet, and things are much harder in a group conversation as flirts, even well received ones, lead to awkward conversation in groups and that makes future flirts less likely to work. Normally if I get them in a flirty mood I keep moving forward, especially if both Sims are flirty as the bonus odds to succeed is great and if I don't use it here I have to use flirty interactions in a non-flirty mood to get them back to flirt at a future date, so backing off when flirty is basically a method to lower the odds of it working out (I never use flirty aura objects as they seem pretty creepy to me, but if you do you don't have to deal with this).

* Using flirt as any generic non-working social interaction, not just "flirt".

Yes, but never as an opener. My favoured lead that never seems to fail is Complement Appearance. That often works regardless of mood as well.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    It's a shame romance isn't autonomous. I've created two clubs with the same hangout to be romantic with each other and it's going nowhere.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited June 2017
    calaprfy wrote: »
    It's a shame romance isn't autonomous. I've created two clubs with the same hangout to be romantic with each other and it's going nowhere.

It can be if you're willing to use the Personality Please! mod, which I now consider essential.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Actually, I wish we could have a good way to keep sims from being romantic with any sim that walks by. I took Lillie and Alexander to the romance festival, granted they were at the romance festival and in a flirty mood from the tea, but Alexander has gotten 5 sim pregnant with 7 kids (all within 2 sim days) including his, now, wife. I turn my back for a second and Lillie has flirted with some random dude, ticked Alexander off, and now he's angry for over 12 hours. Like, dude... you have no right to get upset. Wait until Lillie finds out you've knocked up 4 other woman. Then we'll see mad.