Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the Science Career Broken?

3 days ago I started an adult Sim in the Science career of GTW and she was getting promotions all the way to LEVEL 3 (JUNIOR TINKERER) and 4 breakthroughs but then she got stuck there. She doesn't get a light bulb above her head when doing all the activities marked with light bulbs but she does get focused and really focused or whatever it is and yet still no 5 or 6th breakthrough and no promotions. This morning I finally had her quit her job and get re-hired and she started at LEVEL 2 (APPRENTICE INVENTOR) and yet again hasn't moved forward in her career and still does not get the light bulb or breakthroughs. What the heck am I doing wrong or is the science career borked?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    MeaganJo wrote: »
    3 days ago I started an adult Sim in the Science career of GTW and she was getting promotions all the way to LEVEL 3 (JUNIOR TINKERER) and 4 breakthroughs but then she got stuck there. She doesn't get a light bulb above her head when doing all the activities marked with light bulbs but she does get focused and really focused or whatever it is and yet still no 5 or 6th breakthrough and no promotions. This morning I finally had her quit her job and get re-hired and she started at LEVEL 2 (APPRENTICE INVENTOR) and yet again hasn't moved forward in her career and still does not get the light bulb or breakthroughs. What the heck am I doing wrong or is the science career borked?

Does this career require higher logic? I know in the doctor career it hurts your Sim if you don't have high logic. Even logic skills at seven still leave the Sim confused as to what the machines diagnosis was. The game never says, hey you need logic. It's just a given, I think. That's why some of the machines they can practice on gives logic skills.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MeaganJoMeaganJo Posts: 4,343 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Does this career require higher logic? I know in the doctor career it hurts your Sim if you don't have high logic. Even logic skills at seven still leave the Sim confused as to what the machines diagnosis was. The game never says, hey you need logic. It's just a given, I think. That's why some of the machines they can practice on gives logic skills.

Thank you for the response @Cinebar. My Sims logic is at level 10. She was finally able to get to Level 3 yet again but still doesn't get the light bulb above her head when very focused and supposedly working on a breakthrough and still only has the first 4 breakthrough's, she can take thoughtful shower's, tinker on this and that, ponder moves on the chess board, stargaze, analyze, use the microscope, weed and water, read and yet no 5th and 6th breakthroughs and still can't get past Junior tinkerer just like yesterday and the day before. :(
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    Strange! I was getting breakthroughs willy nilly.
    When my sim was in the shower he got them most. He would have to be in there awhile (make your sim go in while really dirty) and they'd just pop up.

Do you play with CC? Did you yank it out and test? :confused:
  • Options
    Xoxk9 wrote: »
    Strange! I was getting breakthroughs willy nilly.
    When my sim was in the shower he got them most. He would have to be in there awhile (make your sim go in while really dirty) and they'd just pop up.

Do you play with CC? Did you yank it out and test? :confused:

@Xoxk9 my game is completely mod and cc free so nothing there to cause any issues and have finally gotten to the point where I am using the testingcheats true and making needs static to try and keep the very focused up. I'll send her jogging and fishing and digging to try and get her real dirty then try to get her focused again and try the thoughtful shower that way. :) Crossing fingers.
  • Options
    @Xoxk9 ok so I got my Sim super dirty I'm talking she couldn't get any dirtier she had plenty of energy as she was able to get a good nights sleep, I got her focused but she wouldn't get very focused and then put her into a nice long thoughtful shower and absolutely nothing happened. :(
  • Options
    Ugh! That's a real bummer! I'm not sure then. "/

Sometimes when my game glitches (it wouldn't let my sim use the fridge for no good reason <___<) I used the repair function in origin and that surprisingly fixed it.

repairgame_zpsvryzmqb4.png

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ugh! That's a real bummer! I'm not sure then. "/

Sometimes when my game glitches (it wouldn't let my sim use the fridge for no good reason <___<) I used the repair function in origin and that surprisingly fixed it.

repairgame_zpsvryzmqb4.png

Good luck!

Where do I find this repair game in Origin? I've never seen it before.

Ope never mind I figured it out and trying it now. I hope this works if not well then it will sadden me.
  • Options
    Let us know! *crosses fingers* I'm curious if repair game actually fixes it!
  • Options
    Let us know! *crosses fingers* I'm curious if repair game actually fixes it!

Sadly it didn't work, I am at a complete loss and don't know what else there is that I could possibly do to get this working correctly besides start completely over and well that is just not happening unless I find a mod to up all my sims skills again because the endless hours of learning was quite enough for me. Erg arg.
  • Options
    BokimbolBokimbol Posts: 503 Member
    It seems all the careers break in some way over time. The cop career the perp gets arrested but won't come back to the police station. All the cops disappear and the cons come and go. In my doctor career, first the new patients and now the other doctors stopped showing up. Ironically this particular problem the Op mentioned hasn't happened to me yet.
  • Options
    Bokimbol wrote: »
    It seems all the careers break in some way over time. The cop career the perp gets arrested but won't come back to the police station. All the cops disappear and the cons come and go. In my doctor career, first the new patients and now the other doctors stopped showing up. Ironically this particular problem the Op mentioned hasn't happened to me yet.

Yeah I just bought this EP a few days ago and had the issue the first day and have been trying to get it to work since. I wasn't having issues with the Dr career besides my Dr Sim getting old and dying however his wife is just stuck and I've stopped the aging process now in hopes of her finishing it but don't see it happening. I have looked and looked to see if anyone else has had this issue but so far all I've seen is trouble getting to the final promotion or final breakthrough.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    There is a certain point in the science career where a sim is not required to have any more eureka moments for a while in order to get promoted. If I remember right that point was either level 3 or 4. A sim in the science career won't have any more eureka moments again until they reach level 6 or 7. Eureka moments isn't the only way a sim can advance in the science career, having them complete the daily tasks while at work helps too. And the more of those that they complete, the faster they will get promoted at work. :)
  • Options
    sunman502 wrote: »
    There is a certain point in the science career where a sim is not required to have any more eureka moments for a while in order to get promoted. If I remember right that point was either level 3 or 4. A sim in the science career won't have any more eureka moments again until they reach level 6 or 7. Eureka moments isn't the only way a sim can advance in the science career, having them complete the daily tasks while at work helps too. And the more of those that they complete, the faster they will get promoted at work. :)

I wish I was at the point sunman unfortunately getting 6 breakthroughs is a requirement with LEVEL 3 (JUNIOR TINKERER) to get to LEVEL 4 (SERUM SEQUENCER).
  • Options
    BokimbolBokimbol Posts: 503 Member
    What I find weird/interesting is why these glitches only happen to some people. Or even I will get one set of glitches and someone else will get another. With the science career my sim just chugged right through it. I always had more ideas than needed to get promoted. What I mean is I would get promoted and see what I needed for the next promotion and I already had enough ideas for it. My science career glitches were of the same variety as the others. The tourists either wouldn't show up or when they did the interactions I had to do with the tourists and or scientist were never offered to me no matter how many times I conversed with them. Luckily if I came back the next day I had a new set of doable chores. Not so with the other careers.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Thank you for the response @Cinebar. My Sims logic is at level 10. She was finally able to get to Level 3 yet again but still doesn't get the light bulb above her head when very focused and supposedly working on a breakthrough and still only has the first 4 breakthrough's, she can take thoughtful shower's, tinker on this and that, ponder moves on the chess board, stargaze, analyze, use the microscope, weed and water, read and yet no 5th and 6th breakthroughs and still can't get past Junior tinkerer just like yesterday and the day before. :(

Hey, thanks for the answer. So, it's more intune with moods that help with a break through then than a skill. I will try to remember that when I play that one, but yes, all the careers are bugged in some way as others stated. I get around them (so far) by not going to work with them, skip day and then go back and things have changed, etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    sorry to hear @MeaganJo i havent played the scientist yet. but it does sound like data corruption three things that could help:

some data corruption is fixed by restarting the game. this worked for me with doctors

also try repair GTW so at origin/my games under sims 4 i right click on GTW icon select option

and lastly if you cant make the pro work correctly quit and start up again.
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    edited April 2015
    Try using the promtion cheat this will make your sim getting promoted and tell if you got premoted and the light bulb is back i will put the cheat here in a minute

Edit:::use this cheat :: careers.promote Scientist

yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses! Well today it still didn't work so I ended up using the cheat careers.promote Scientist from @husseinandali to get to the 4th promotion of Serum Sequencer but that doesn't ensure breakthrough's so I ended up having to use testingcheats true {shift on my Sim} select Science and Scientist Breakthrough (All) which gives you 8 breakthrough's.

@ceejay402 I did use that nifty little fix from Origin but sadly it didn't fix this but did make fixes elsewhere. My Sim quit her job yesterday, I saved the game quit the game then went back in and started her up in the Science career again and that didn't work so then I saved a copy of the household and started over with a new game just a copy of the Sims and still nothing. :D Thanks so very much for taking the time to stop in!

@Cinebar ugh what a bummer, I don't like knowing that each of the careers are bugged in one way or another, I sure hope they make some fixes soon. I bought TS4 and ended up not playing it at all and then this EP came out and I decided to give it another go and bam I am already being bombarded with buggies. :(
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    @MeaganJo have you tried deleting your cache? It usually fixes things for me when I have Sims issues. http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    MeteoraStormMeteoraStorm Posts: 243 Member
    @MeaganJo Dies your Scientist have a high creativity skill? All the things that give breakthroughs seem to provoke the 'Inspired' emotion, which is associated with the Creativity skill. Try getting her into an Inspired frame of mind then doing the activities with the 'lightbulb' on them.

My best scientist was both a Genius and Creative. This worked for me.
  • Options
    SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    My sim is in the scientist career and she has most of her breakthroughs while fishing. I usually get her a moodlet solver on nights she needs to have her breakthroughs and just let her fish away.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    If you've passed level 2, you should have a chemistry table in the family inventory -- you can use that at home to develop serums and to get breakthroughs.

My Sim is at level 7 (I think -- could be at 8 by now) in the Science career. He gets breakthroughs working at the chemistry table, plus from fishing and gardening (his family has a pretty extensive garden).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SarlyssiaSarlyssia Posts: 61 Member
    I started the science career a few days ago and haven't had any problems for now. The easiest way of getting breakthroughs for me I have found is gardening. I planted about fifteen to twenty random plants and everytime my sim got promoted and tended the garden afterwards she got her breakthroughs quite quickly.
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    I play several scientists now and most are levels 6 and above. I did find that around level 4 or 5 I had to work a little longer (two more days) than usual for the promotion if I just did enough of the daily job tasks to get the Gold Performance. If I sent my sim off to jog or talk to her boyfriend on the phone during work hours it took another day or two to get the promotion. Make sure you don't miss out on other job requirements like Invent the Cloning Machine or something like that ;)
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I am not getting the lightbulb either when he does things that should work. Did anyone solve this?