Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Good laptop for Sims 4

Hi. Next year I am getting a laptop to use in school and to play sims 4 on. I know they have it for macs now so I am open. I have always loved iOS but I don't like Cromebooks. My price range goes up to 1,300(plus tax of course). Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    olyanaesmeolyanaesme Posts: 338 Member
    In my personal opinion, I think a PC would be the best choice for The sims 4. Haha, I however am a Mac user and it works fine, but PCs usually are a little smoother with downloading CC and Mods. But if you really want to go for a mac, I would suggest a MacBook Air. I got mine for only about 1,000 dollars (with student discount). It's very light, portable, and I think it's great for gaming too!
    Hope this helped❤︎
    Happy simming
    we way too young to get old <3
  • Options
    Alexis35220Alexis35220 Posts: 6 New Member
    Thanks for your opinion. It was hard to decide if I wanted the air, pro, or just the Macbook.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Dell Alienware with a SSD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Sims 4 isn't very demanding. Any laptop in the $600-$1000 range would probably max out the if it has a dedicated GPU. This laptop, for example, is overkill and would play Sims 4 (and pretty much any game) without any problems:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-59418222/dp/B00K6ZIO2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428021265&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+gaming+laptop

Plus it's well under your budget, so you save some money.

• Options
    BunnDaleBunnDale Posts: 165 Member
    I bought an Alienware M18 for this game and it is smooooth as a whistle
  • Options
    Alexis35220Alexis35220 Posts: 6 New Member
    Thanks everyone. I will take them into consideration next year.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited April 2015
    Sims 4 isn't very demanding. Any laptop in the $600-$1000 range would probably max out the if it has a dedicated GPU. This laptop, for example, is overkill and would play Sims 4 (and pretty much any game) without any problems:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-59418222/dp/B00K6ZIO2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428021265&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+gaming+laptop

Thats no overkill for the sims 4. Thats about right or better. As you add eps this game will get more demanding. Laptop specs should exceed recommended requirements for this game since all requirements for this game are desktop not laptop.

we are already seeing people having trouble with intel chip. They wont survive all eps. Lower end dedicated grapics cards will be effected to with more eps

$1000 and up laptop. $800 and up desktop
  • Options

Thats no overkill for the sims 4. Thats about right or better. As you add eps this game will get more demanding. Laptop specs should exceed recommended requirements for this game since all requirements for this game are desktop not laptop.

we are already seeing people having trouble with intel chip. They wont survive all eps. Lower end dedicated grapics cards will be effected to with more eps

I realize adding EPs will cause the game to be more demanding over time, there's no need to tell me that. It's also common knowledge that integrated chips are bad for gaming, at least for anyone who takes the time to do some research before purchasing a PC.

I don't think a high end gaming laptop is necessary for TS4. The worlds are very small, the textures are flat/simple, the game only loads one household at a time. I doubt it will require more than a mid-range GPU even with more demanding EPs like Seasons. I'm not claiming to be a tech expert, but I am familiar with computer specs and what the game needs to run well -- good processor that reaches 2.5Ghz or higher, 6 - 8GB of RAM, and a decent dedicated GPU, such as the Nvidia 840m or the Radeon 8750m. That already exceeds the system requirements. And you certainly don't need to spend $1000 to get that if you shop around... you can find laptops with those specs for around $800.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Also, to the person who originally posted this, I didn't realize the Lenovo laptop I linked you to was almost sold out. Since you're saving up to purchase one next year, I suppose that doesn't matter. Lenovo and Asus are really good brands in my opinion and you get much more for your money spec-wise. Keep that in mind when you're looking around. Also, if you're in the US, Newegg tends to have some pretty great deals on computers.
  • Options
    Melbana9Melbana9 Posts: 262 Member
    i love the msi gp 70 my husband bought me at cristmas :)
  • Options
    KjrockPlayerKjrockPlayer Posts: 305 Member
    My lap top doe's me I keep it up to date with graphics card patch's please read my sig
  • Options
    Juliee101Juliee101 Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2015
    i am using a hp pavilion
    it runs fast with the sims
  • Options
    pangaea67pangaea67 Posts: 13 New Member
    > @Alexis35220 said:
    > Hi. Next year I am getting a laptop to use in school and to play sims 4 on. I know they have it for macs now so I am open. I have always loved iOS but I don't like Cromebooks. My price range goes up to 1,300(plus tax of course). Thanks.

Got a used Dell M6500 for $300, plus I bought a RAM upgrade for it. Best balance of cheap and good IMO, here's my specs:
    -Intel i5 cpu, 4 logical cores
    -8 GB RAM (originally came with 4, aftermarket upgrade for $60)
    -hardware graphics (AMD 5890)
    -500 GB hard drives (it came with a 320 and I dropped in an extra 160 I had laying around in the second hard drive bay)

So yeah, buying used and doing some minor upgrades is probably how you get the most bang for your buck with laptops. When I got it, the back of the lid had a few cosmetic scratches but otherwise it was mint.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I realize adding EPs will cause the game to be more demanding over time, there's no need to tell me that. It's also common knowledge that integrated chips are bad for gaming, at least for anyone who takes the time to do some research before purchasing a PC.

I don't think a high end gaming laptop is necessary for TS4. The worlds are very small, the textures are flat/simple, the game only loads one household at a time. I doubt it will require more than a mid-range GPU even with more demanding EPs like Seasons. I'm not claiming to be a tech expert, but I am familiar with computer specs and what the game needs to run well -- good processor that reaches 2.5Ghz or higher, 6 - 8GB of RAM, and a decent dedicated GPU, such as the Nvidia 840m or the Radeon 8750m. That already exceeds the system requirements. And you certainly don't need to spend $1000 to get that if you shop around... you can find laptops with those specs for around $800.

Just my opinion.

Well my good gaming laptop cant even play the sims 4. EA's NEW patches are messing with some nvida users both desktop and laptop alike. We have several reporting. We have run several tests on vanilla games. Made reports with EA's higher ups techs and I was told not to play on laptop the games requirements are desktop. I have GTX 770M DDR5 3gb, 17 hq 2.4-3.4 turbo, 16gb ram. My laptop is not good enough per higher EA techs. This is their excuse for messing up this game. My sims 3 and all eps play fine on my laptop. My sims 4 was fine until the new patches.There are many threads I could give you Here is an interesting one this morning on Desktop Nvida. You should probably hang in the Tech threads more often. There are many who can no longer play this game ones that meet the requirements and ones that dont.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/825616/running-into-graphical-issues-since-last-update#latest

When playing any sims game always go by recommended requirements not minimum and this is for desktop. Laptops are weaker than desktop so laptop should exceed the requirements of desktop

ADD: these cards you mention for laptop Nvidia 840m or the Radeon 8750m are way below the desktop version of a GTX 650 desktop card. Laptop M cards should be GTX 760, 860, 960 or higher.

This is recommended for desktop on the sims 4 so yes you need a gaming laptop that exceeds these desktop requirements to play all eps. And thats only if they fix this game!

RECOMMENDED SPECS

PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
    MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better

Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    Hi. Next year I am getting a laptop to use in school and to play sims 4 on. I know they have it for macs now so I am open. I have always loved iOS but I don't like Cromebooks. My price range goes up to 1,300(plus tax of course). Thanks.

My suggestion to you is wait until you are buying one and post back in the tech thread and ask for a laptop. They always come out with new computers and will have new models by the time you are ready to buy. We have people who build computers in the tech thread so they would be the ones to ask for advice on a computer
  • Options

Just my opinion.

Well my good gaming laptop cant even play the sims 4. EA's NEW patches are messing with some nvida users both desktop and laptop alike. We have several reporting. We have run several tests on vanilla games. Made reports with EA's higher ups techs and I was told not to play on laptop the games requirements are desktop. I have GTX 770M DDR5 3gb, 17 hq 2.4-3.4 turbo, 16gb ram. My laptop is not good enough per higher EA techs. This is their excuse for messing up this game. My sims 3 and all eps play fine on my laptop. My sims 4 was fine until the new patches.There are many threads I could give you Here is an interesting one this morning on Desktop Nvida. You should probably hang in the Tech threads more often. There are many who can no longer play this game ones that meet the requirements and ones that dont.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/825616/running-into-graphical-issues-since-last-update#latest

When playing any sims game always go by recommended requirements not minimum and this is for desktop. Laptops are weaker than desktop so laptop should exceed the requirements of desktop

ADD: these cards you mention for laptop Nvidia 840m or the Radeon 8750m are way below the desktop version of a GTX 650 desktop card. Laptop M cards should be GTX 760, 860, 960 or higher.

This is recommended for desktop on the sims 4 so yes you need a gaming laptop that exceeds these desktop requirements to play all eps. And thats only if they fix this game!

RECOMMENDED SPECS

Hmm. My laptop maxes out TS4 (all settings on high, frame rates at steady 60 at all times w/vsync on) and I have not been having any major issues glitch-wise. Specs are Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50-3.5GHz), 8gb of RAM, and a Nvidia 840m 2gb. I also play TS3 with all expansions and most EPs on medium-high settings with no issues. I paid exactly $700 for it on sale.

Odd that you say EA is telling you that TS4 should be played on desktop, when they purposely dumbed down the game's system requirements so that it could be played on low end machines... actually I remember that being part of the marketing for TS4 before it launched. Also, if you follow the official Sims page on Facebook or Twitter, I see them telling customers who comment/tweet about playing the game on laptop that they should be fine as long as they go above the minimum requirements. Not trying to say you're lying, it's just odd that EA would contradict themselves.

And, I am aware laptops are weaker than desktops. Anybody who has researched gaming on laptops has probably had that drilled into their heads at least a dozen times. However, it is not practical for everyone to have a desktop, especially when you need you PC for school and you're on a budget. I'm done debating about this though, haha. :lol: I'm sure us commenting back and fourth is getting on the OP's nerves.
  • Options

Just my opinion.

RECOMMENDED SPECS

Hmm. My laptop maxes out TS4 (all settings on high, frame rates at steady 60 at all times w/vsync on) and I have not been having any major issues glitch-wise. Specs are Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50-3.5GHz), 8gb of RAM, and a Nvidia 840m 2gb. I also play TS3 with all expansions and most EPs on medium-high settings with no issues. I paid exactly $700 for it on sale.

Odd that you say EA is telling you that TS4 should be played on desktop, when they purposely dumbed down the game's system requirements so that it could be played on low end machines... actually I remember that being part of the marketing for TS4 before it launched. Also, if you follow the official Sims page on Facebook or Twitter, I see them telling customers who comment/tweet about playing the game on laptop that they should be fine as long as they go above the minimum requirements. Not trying to say you're lying, it's just odd that EA would contradict themselves.

And, I am aware laptops are weaker than desktops. Anybody who has researched gaming on laptops has probably had that drilled into their heads at least a dozen times. However, it is not practical for everyone to have a desktop, especially when you need you PC for school and you're on a budget. I'm done debating about this though, haha. :lol: I'm sure us commenting back and fourth is getting on the OP's nerves.

My Laptop maxes it out no issue. Dont have to play in laptop mode. Makes no difference. Something in the patches is attacking some not all Nvida users. Many were getting very loud noises from their fans, some over heating. My laptop has never got that hot until the new patches. I did not overheat but I would have if i continued but I exited the game immediately. It happened more than once. My dual fans are so quiet. Even when I pay the sims 3 no issues but not the sims 4. I never heard my fans like that. It only happens with the sims 4. I reported it to EA and when they dont want to take the blame for something their patches might have caused the answer is the requirements are for desktop not laptop. Haven't you read their TOS on how you cant sue them!

I know it is not practical for a lot of people who have a bulky desktop. Why I chose laptop. LOL I would not worry about op they are not buying a laptop until next year. LOL

This game specs are about equal to the sims 3. The game is just programed differently. I have the old sims 3 version where I use the TS3W so I dont need origin to play the game. The problem with the sims 4 is being locked into origin. It uses its own ram, It forces you to update, if someone is underpowered and gets hit with a new patch or adds an ep their computer cant handle they are done playing this game. They cant back patch to a prior patch to where their game might have worked. We are able to do this with older sims games that dont require origin. If a patch does them in its either buy a new computer or dont play. Why I state you should have the recommended requirements or above if someone wants to survive all eps patches, etc. Why EA put intel chips and old computer specs as the minimum requirements is beyond me. Many people dont know that laptops are weaker than desktop. They look at the specs dont realize its for desktop not laptop and buy low end laptops thinking they meet the requirements. These are people that probably wont survive all eps and ea wont be giving them their money back for a game they can no longer play.