Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No underwater pool view from basements?

I built my Sims' new basement right up next to their pool and put in big windows, hoping to watch swimmers from below. No such luck. I was hoping for a view like this from Sims 3. Is this possible?

Comments

• Options
    jacqpinksjacqpinks Posts: 2,118 Member
    that is a little disappointing I will have to check this out in game
    Jacqpinks ♥'s The Sims
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    Looking more closely at the link I posted above, that person used cheats to accomplish the view. I never really paid attention to pools much in Sims 3 but for some reason I just thought you could automatically see what was going on from below. Which makes sense, but might be very difficult to program; I have no idea.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Looking more closely at the link I posted above, that person used cheats to accomplish the view. I never really paid attention to pools much in Sims 3 but for some reason I just thought you could automatically see what was going on from below. Which makes sense, but might be very difficult to program; I have no idea.

In TS3 you could see who was in the pool w/o cheats.
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    edited March 2015
    When pools were released, a guru said if windows were placed in a pool you wouldn't be able to see sims swimming through the window.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    dnmartyndnmartyn Posts: 282 Member
    you can, but there is a catch.

When I look at the side of the pool with my active SIM on the same level as the entrance to the pool, I can see her legs through the windows:

03-26-15_7-08nbspPM_zpsmzeh2tp1.png
    However, if my active SIM goes down into the basement, he can no longer see her:

03-26-15_7-09nbspPM_zpszlvvrivv.png
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    That's how I was looking at it from inside the basement
  • Options
    dnmartyn wrote: »

When I look at the side of the pool with my active SIM on the same level as the entrance to the pool, I can see her legs through the windows:

However, if my active SIM goes down into the basement, he can no longer see her:

Thanks for the illustration; this is helpful. Not realistic, but helpful! Per @candace92 's comment above, I see that it's an acknowledged limitation of this version of the game. Bummer.
  • Options
    QuaayQuaay Posts: 557 Member
    I could see into my basement room from the swimmer's view but not vice versa :( I was bummed because I put a couch down there just to sit and watch ppl swim. A guru had said something about making human fish tanks so I thought it would work that way.
  • Options
    BlargghhBlargghh Posts: 46 Member
    it's just like when you have a loft area above a living space. The game doesn't fully load anything that isn't on your current building level. Kind of a bummer, but understandable.
  • Options
    SenbreSenbre Posts: 997 Member
    edited March 2015
    No unless terrain tools and CFE cheat is returned
    Post edited by Senbre on
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    Hmm. Disappointing. :/
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited March 2015
    This is understandable since you can't see anything above ground level in basements. Have you tried doing this with a pool in a basement looking from the second level of basement? Does this even work with a pool in a second floor of a house seeing from inside? (Not an exterior pool)
  • Options
    dnmartyndnmartyn Posts: 282 Member
    MatheusBS wrote: »
    This is understandable since you can't see anything above ground level in basements. Have you tried doing this with a pool in a basement looking from the second level of basement? Does this even work with a pool in a second floor of a house seeing from inside? (Not an exterior pool)

It does the same thing

03-26-15_11-23nbspPM-3_zpsv8xrdw3o.png
    03-26-15_11-24nbspPM_zpsuzuj5e3w.png

• Options
    itsugitsug Posts: 1,613 Member
    This has for a very long time been an issue, and got nothing to do with basements actually.
    Try making a pool on the second floor with windows on first floor.
    Same result ^^
    Admin and on Support team of MC CmD @ Discord - https://discord.gg/Jcc8uRW
    MC CmD is available at https://deaderpool-mccc.com/
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member

The laziness of Maxis at its finest.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    itsug wrote: »
    This has for a very long time been an issue, and got nothing to do with basements actually.
    Same result ^^
    omg how much limitations this game have????????????????????????????????, ok what i gonna say probably look and sound like a hate but is impossible to not think like that:

why they are still using that so "limited" engine" everything is about limit!!!, forget open world now i could be more happy if they at last redo that game with a "better engineer" keep using a cra,p engineer look so "dumb*** from a game development perspective, this game is full of limitations due to the horrible choice of a outdated and cra,p engine.

tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    This defeats the purpose of even having windows against pool walls.....not everything had to be a decoration geesh, that's like going to SeaWorld and you see the whale in the tank but when go below to see the tank to get a closer look the whale disappear, just doesn't make sense oh well ugh
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I noticed this after pools were introduced. I made a second story pool that plopped down into the center of the house and had windows. I couldn't see the sim legs and was rather vexed by it. I no longer waste precious floor space with pools. They go in the backyard... far from my sight... if I use them at all. -.-

This definitely cuts into my creepy gameplay capabilities, so I do hope they update this at a later date.
    (A mad scientist needs creepy features in his house. :P )
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Well that plums. I just made a really nice basement for one sim family, with game room with an underwater view and now there's nothing to look at?? Bummer, but hardly a game breaker for me. (At least there will be some sort of light in the basement besides from a bulb, lol.)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    aws200 wrote: »

The laziness of Maxis at its finest.

It's not exactly laziness. They had the option to choose when building the engine, and they chose the latter for the P word that people have grown to hate (Performance).

It's easier to have Sims loaded one floor at a time, than have your processor animate Sims constantly throughout the game. In The Sims 3, the game didn't have to worry about constantly animating Sims around your Neighbourhood. In The Sims 4, while you're at home, there are 10 or so Sims walking around outside your house. To make that possible, they probably used this as way to reduce the stress on your video card.

Similar to how The Sims 3 would reload textures again, if you spent heaps of time on one floor. To save resources, the textures of other floors would be greyed out once you spent a certain amount of time on a specific floor, and would reload when you changed floors.
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    itsug wrote: »
    Same result ^^
    omg how much limitations this game have????????????????????????????????, ok what i gonna say probably look and sound like a hate but is impossible to not think like that:

why they are still using that so "limited" engine" everything is about limit!!!, forget open world now i could be more happy if they at last redo that game with a "better engineer" keep using a cra,p engineer look so "dumb*** from a game development perspective, this game is full of limitations due to the horrible choice of a outdated and cra,p engine.

The engine isn't outdated, it's just been built. It's engineered extremely well from an Online point of view. Everything that makes an online game work well, had been done. Except it's not Online anymore.
    Which is why it comes across that way.
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    edited March 2015
    jackjack_k wrote: »

It's not exactly laziness. They had the option to choose when building the engine, and they chose the latter for the P word that people have grown to hate (Performance).

Yep, it looks like the ability of 10 or more years old computers to run the game seems to have been a prime objective in the programming of the TS 4 engine / design of the game
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Proteus42 wrote: »

Yep, it looks like the ability of 10 or more years old computers to run the game seems to have been a prime objective in the programming of the TS 4 engine / design of the game

True.

However, when they were making the game online, performance is necessary. Now it's not so much but we are stuck with the engine ><

Considering how much they have changed the Sims 4 since launch, you can tell they are still converting the game from Online to Offline even now.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It's easier to have Sims loaded one floor at a time, than have your processor animate Sims constantly throughout the game. In The Sims 3, the game didn't have to worry about constantly animating Sims around your Neighbourhood. In The Sims 4, while you're at home, there are 10 or so Sims walking around outside your house. To make that possible, they probably used this as way to reduce the stress on your video card.
    Well, if that's true, that's pretty ironic to me. Making performance tradeoffs order to have more (annoying) Sims animated in a less open world. I personally would much rather see my Sim at home swimming from below than have my outdoor conversations continually and nonconsensually joined by meandering neighbors and visitors. But that's just me.

I'm not a games programmer and I'm not chalking this up to "laziness" as others have suggested. Whether it's for performance reasons or other reasons, I'm just disappointed is all.
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    @Proteus42 wrote: »

True.

However, when they were making the game online, performance is necessary. Now it's not so much but we are stuck with the engine ><

Considering how much they have changed the Sims 4 since launch, you can tell they are still converting the game from Online to Offline even now.

True ... they are still changing/adding so much with every patch, that the game at the end of this year might look much different (and hopefully also more enjoyable) than it was at the beginning of the year
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2015
    Yeah and the same was said about the SimCity Glassbox engine and how did SimCity fare? Not so well. The engine has a lot of limitations that may fare well for a dumbed down game that does not require a lot of technology.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen