Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you build a house?

I am a very bad builder but I want to become good builder but I always make my house boxy and too big so there is loads of space! Can you please tell me how you build houses so I can try your technique also is it wierd to go through ideal home and real home magazines to get ideas?
xyIcMqt.png

Comments

• Options
    whitneyngwhitneyng Posts: 574 Member
    No its not weird to go through magazines. I sometimes search Google for nice homes. Just to get inspiration or ideas then improvise the homes and architecture I see to my own liking.
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    Yeah, looking at real house plans is the way to do it if you want to build a better fake house.
  • Options
    HunterInShadowHunterInShadow Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2015
    As has already been said, getting inspiration and building tips from sources outside the game is perfectly fine. You might want to google around for Sims 3 house building videos and building tutorials as well. And of course, the important thing is to spend time building in-game, practicing and learning how to build and finding the most comfortable way to build things for yourself. If you find it tough to start from scratch, Build Mode also has ready-made blueprints (look for a caliper/compass in build mode and click on it) you can just drop onto your empty lot and play around with.

I've set up a specific game save just for testing builds and techniques. You don't even need a Sim living on the lot to build, Edit Town mode is available at the start of any new game, all you need to do is go to the Options menu (... Button) and select Edit Town... The you just pick any empty lot or an empty house and click on the build mode button (hammer and saw crossed over a house). Using this method, you don't have to care about money and can build whatever you want. This is the only way to edit and create community lots (parks, beaches, bars, gyms etc.) since you cannot have Sims living on them.

If you want to edit an occupied house (somebody is alredy living in it) you must either evict them first and then edit the lot, or select them as your active household and then enter Build Mode from within Live Mode. Note that in this case you are limited by whatever funds the household has.
    "Never tempt the Predator into a Bloodlust." - HunterInShadow
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited March 2015
    I use my tablet to scroll sites like eplans and then save images (floor plans) of houses I like. Then I start building, sometimes I have to demolish many times to get what I want. When I attempted to build a house over a fishing pond? That required a bunch of start overs because I had the house two stories up into the air because I wanted Sims to be able to fish under it. I wanted to build a true swamp house that was very elevated.

It took months before I got to the point where I don't need to count every little square to make sure I'm getting stuff right, I still find myself counting though because I like things perfectly centered.

It's basically trial and error.

Give a it go, you will soon discover your own style and the best way for you to build.

Don't be hard on yourself if you only build boxes (that's a called contemporary *winks*).

I don't tend to use EA pre-builds or the pre-builds of others for inspiration because I'm not a fan of clutter or the over use of "MOO" (move objects on) and many of those build do those things extensively. I also really like to stick to a particular color palette throughout the entire house. However, when I was learning to make things (like dormers and Victorians) I did study how EA made the houses in Moonlight Falls. Then I carefully recreated the houses by counting out the grid boxes and did it a few times till I was sure I had it down and then I was off to try and make my own houses.

The one thing Sims 4 has over Sims 3? Is that you can just move the entire room if you mess up instead of having to demolish and start over. Minor thing given everything else we have, lol.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I like to look at houses while I am waiting at red lights or for trains and imagine what the layout would be like. I do the same with houses on television shows. I have made the little Spenser house from Psych and the home from season three of House of Cards. I have also tried to make several of the homes that I have lived in, and that is always a lot of fun. I just wish there was a way to stack the staircases (if there is a way, I have never been successful at it). Building has always been one of my favorite things to do in the Sims, and the lack of CASt is one of the biggest reasons I quit TS4 and came back to TS3.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    ThatDoggoneGirl7ThatDoggoneGirl7 Posts: 1,314 Member
    @listles I think this is your moment to build your dream house 'cause that's what I've been doing in Sims since Sims 2. Focus on how you want your dream house look like and you're good. :smile:
    tumblr_nb96gvx67j1rn427xo2_500.gif
    ♬ "Smile, what's the use of crying. You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you just smile.." ♬
    Michael Jackson
  • Options
    moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    edited March 2015
    You can try to build houses on small lots, so that you won't be building large boxes but small boxes :mrgreen:
    After that you can save the house then place it on a larger lot if you want more space to work on the terrain.

It always helps when you imitate from real floor plans with furniture arrangements in it, so that you can know for sure how much space and what kind of shapes of rooms are needed. I did this a lot when I started to get obsessed with building and I even try to build houses from other games.

There a lot of building tutorials online. For example, I read these and found them very useful:
    simension.de/category/sims-3-english-tutorials/
    nene.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=609

Or you can watch tutorials and speed build clips on YouTube, which are also interesting and inspiring.

PS: When you are ready, you might want to try some custom contents (CCs) made by other players. Some players avoid using CC while others embrace it. There are a lot of gorgeous CC furnitures and building stuff that really complement the game contents, especially modern furnitures (I think) that the game lacks. I don't use CC in builds because I don't want to put too much pressure on my poor computer, but I did try it out for a period of time and it was awesome. Now I only watch pictures of beautiful houses with CCs built by other people lol.

tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

• Options
    The one thing Sims 4 has over Sims 3? Is that you can just move the entire room if you mess up instead of having to demolish and start over. Minor thing given everything else we have, lol.

Not just rooms. Ever wondered what the whole house would look like if it was turned around on the lot? Yeah, you can do that. In Sims 3 you'd be madly flinging around with the sledgehammer, but in Sims 4 you just go "lemmesee", select the whole house, rotate and plunk it back down in it's new orientation.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Not just rooms. Ever wondered what the whole house would look like if it was turned around on the lot? Yeah, you can do that. In Sims 3 you'd be madly flinging around with the sledgehammer, but in Sims 4 you just go "lemmesee", select the whole house, rotate and plunk it back down in it's new orientation.

Yeah, you can move things easier.

But....you can't recolor (no color wheel, no create-a-pattern, very limited choices, most furnishing don't match....sighs). You can't have basements. You can't have the house on a foundation with a garage that has no foundation.

One thing, not really worth it to me. I do wish at times that I could move things like that in Sims 3 but then I consider everything I would have to give up and just hug my Sims 3 game even closer.

Back to the topic at hand....

I forgot to mention (but then remembered when I read it in a post above) that I will often build on 30x30 or smaller lots. The reason is that it forces me to build small. It also makes it easier to plunk that house down anywhere. If I want to make it into a ranch? Plunk it down on a bigger lot and add a stable. It makes the house more versatile. I never build on anything larger than 30x30 because then I'm hunting around for a big enough lot.
  • Options
    Hey guys. The only problem I have with TS4 is that I can't rotate the whole house?
    ♬ "Smile, what's the use of crying. You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you just smile.." ♬
    Michael Jackson
  • Options
    Basements are something I do really love about TS3. I really like to make very small, cute homes. I like to make dorm room or trailer style homes, with cute little porches and large yards. This leaves little space for STUFF! So, I usually add a huge basement underneath for everything your Sims acquire, while keeping the look of a small home above ground.
  • Options
    Piperbird1 wrote: »
    Basements are something I do really love about TS3. I really like to make very small, cute homes. I like to make dorm room or trailer style homes, with cute little porches and large yards. This leaves little space for STUFF! So, I usually add a huge basement underneath for everything your Sims acquire, while keeping the look of a small home above ground.

I hide my stuff in the basement as well, I also tuck their cars away in the basement if I run out of room above ground since I like to build on smaller lots. Basements will serve as rec rooms with a garage to the side.
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    @listles ... A lot of great people have given you a lot of good ideas.

If you are new to actually building houses in the Sims game, it is good to start with "training wheels" sometimes.
    Instead of starting from scratch ... Take few existing lots and remodel them.
    Rearrange some of the doors and rooms ... Redesign the exteriors and interiors ... Add a basement and so on.

Get familiar with the tools and how to manage the build before you jump off into a blank lot.
    When you do start building a house from scratch ... Just take your time and do it right.
    If you don't like the way something looks, or if the walkways don't work out ... Don't get frustrated.
    Tear down and redesign what you need to ... And save often when you get to a point you are satisfied.

The best part is that the more you build, the better you get at building.
    Where you may get some help from outside plans ... Visit the Creative Corner and look at what some people have built.
    The stuff in the Creative Corner has been built in the game and to game parameters ... And you can get a lot of ideas.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    I too am not a good builder but I do the best that I can. I have picked up the free Home and Land For Sale magazines just so I can get an idea of what type of house I would like to try to build and then I can try to look up on the internet the floor plan for that type of house if it's not listed in the magazine. But of course some of the houses that do have a floor plan listed in the magazines are new houses in new neighborhoods but it still doesn't hurt to try to look up the floor plans for the older houses. And I also search the web for floor plans for houses that I might want to try and build later.

Now some of the houses that I had built are ones that I am familiar with the layout/floor plan of the house because I had been inside of them. Take for an example the house in my avatar is my childhood home. I did have a hard time trying to get it right but I finally did and I love the way the house turned out. The first house that I did build was my in-laws rambler house. I had even built the apartment building that I live in which is a rambler style building in TS2, so I tried to build it in TS3 but couldn't make it fit on the biggest lot there is. So I ended up just building the unit that we are in but I don't have any photos of it.

This is my in-laws house which I chose to do as it was the easiest to make. This is the front side of the house. It looks small compared to this photo but it has a lot of room on the inside.. :)
    screenshot_original.jpg

This is the backyard of the house... :)
    screenshot_original.jpg

And this is the layout of the house. Over the years, my father-in-law added the 2 back rooms which is the family room and the bedroom and in-closed the carport to make it into a small living room where he watches his TV at. Now when I started building this house, I started building it from their master bedroom and worked my way around the house... :)
    screenshot_original.jpg

This here is my Grandparents trailer that they had when they were still living. I spent a lot of time there and think about their place quite often, so I decided to build it in TS3. I also built their place in TS2... :)
    screenshot_original.jpg

And this is the floor design of the inside... :)
    screenshot_original.jpg

And the other 2 houses you see in my signature are ones that I used my imagination with when I wanted to build a couple of houses for my sim that I made in CASt to look like an alien even though he is not a real one. So I wanted to build some houses that kind of looked like space-type homes... :)

• Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    Looks good. Here's a tip I've found useful (when I remember to do it). If you're taking pictures in build/buy mode, switch to the Terrain Paint tool. That hides all of the grid lines. Which is really annoying when you are trying to actually paint, but good for pictures. Just remember to hide the cursor under something so it doesn't show up in the pictures.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    bklienhart wrote: »
    Looks good. Here's a tip I've found useful (when I remember to do it). If you're taking pictures in build/buy mode, switch to the Terrain Paint tool. That hides all of the grid lines. Which is really annoying when you are trying to actually paint, but good for pictures. Just remember to hide the cursor under something so it doesn't show up in the pictures.

Yeah I had a friend point that out after I took these pictures. So now I try to remember whenever I want to take a screenshot but sometimes I do forget every once in awhile... :p

• Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited March 2015
    I highly recommend the You Tube Channel Sim Supply

He is a great builder and they have good tutorials. Plus he does really funny Let's Plays as he's a builder basically and has no idea how to play the Sims. He usually just builds. So when he does try to play he doesn't know what is going on half the time usually to funny results.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    This thread inspired me go revisit a world I modified over 2 years ago. I'm happily going through and fixing my boxy houses and making them better.

We all start out making boxes, since it was a Colonial inspired world there are many of those houses that were built so boxes as I'm just making the interiors better now that I know a little something more about it all.

Just wanted to point out that boxes can be a style, too.
  • Options
    To help keep room size under control, a lot of the time I will create just two walls and then fill in the furniture the way I want it. That way I don't end up with the huge empty room problem.
  • Options
    @Piperbird1 D'aww. I just noticed your avatar. Oh my, sooo cuteee. :love:
    Michael Jackson
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I have my sims start with empty lots and build a box at first and add to it so it becomes something else later when they're ready to start a family or need more house.I also build boxes for tiny starter homes and those are meant to be for newcomers just moving into town and they'll move to bigger homes.
    @everybody-I've noticed most of you have added things the EA builders don't add like back doors to the houses.I've remodeled a few EA houses by adding the missing back doors to the house.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited March 2015
    I just use the premade houses and change the interior a bit. I hate building, but I do like furnishing.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    @Piperbird1 D'aww. I just noticed your avatar. Oh my, sooo cuteee. :love:

Looks a lot like someone I know. The reason why I don't need an avatar like that is that I have one of those cuties IRL, and that one looks very much like him. He likes sitting on my old desktop computer now and then. Haven't seen him bow out that far, unless I scratch him under his cheekbone.

As you can see from my Avatar, I also tend to prefer the Feline side of life.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    If I build from scratch and it is to be a house I put my new family onto an empty lot and start adding rooms needed for them to survive. I often first place a free wooden floor so I know where rooms are going to be placed on the lot. Placing this floor first also makes sure the walls are placed on a flat surface. If the surface isn't absolutely flat you can find the grid on top of the walls can show gaps that make it impossible to lay a floor on the second level.

Then I adjust the layout and furnish and decorate according to requirements of the particular game, or just because I may get fresh ideas as I go along. My houses are in a constant state of redevelopment.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I usually adapt real-life floor plans to something that can work in the game (no ultra-narrow hallways or routing nightmares like that).
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr