Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does the Sims 3 look dark on windows 8

Comments

• Options
    TreborHG_93TreborHG_93 Posts: 259 Member
    @ceejay402 I have already tried that. It has nothing to do with lighting since the PC looks well, except when I start The Sims 3 game. I have played The Sims 3 with compatibility mode off, but the game started to crash whenever I would go into map view. This stopped when I turned on compatibility mode and set it to windows 8. The only issue is that windows 8 is not displaying the game well enough. Everything is up to date and this is not a dell issue. It's an issue with windows 8 trying to run the sims 3 and I want to know how to run the game without the screen looking dark, like in the image in the thread I posted above
  • Options
    HunterInShadowHunterInShadow Posts: 302 Member
    Windows 8/8.1 should be capable of running the game without any compatibility tweaks. Although mine runs on a completely different hardware, it still runs fine without any tweaks involved. I suspect that this is a hardware/game issue, not an OS issue. You might want to also google around for other people having similar problems to see if there are any pointers towards solving th problem.
    "Never tempt the Predator into a Bloodlust." - HunterInShadow
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    @ceejay402 I have already tried that. It has nothing to do with lighting since the PC looks well, except when I start The Sims 3 game. I have played The Sims 3 with compatibility mode off, but the game started to crash whenever I would go into map view. This stopped when I turned on compatibility mode and set it to windows 8. The only issue is that windows 8 is not displaying the game well enough. Everything is up to date and this is not a dell issue. It's an issue with windows 8 trying to run the sims 3 and I want to know how to run the game without the screen looking dark, like in the image in the thread I posted above

ok i do understand your frustration but as your link showed dimming issues have been around for a while though i will say i have seen a serious drop off in the last year, heres the other thing iv seen it mostly be a laptop related problem its either software related or settings but i have to ask questions to determine which.

now the OS part of the equation further makes me suggest you stop by your laptop maker site and see if everything is up to date., i also suggest looking at their forum to see if others are reporting dimming issues, because it could be you merely only need to reinstall intel drivers. now note laptops are different from desktops many makers release their own card drivers so its important to learn first which drivers are compatible with your system and again this is model and maker specific

and for the link you provided above did you look at the link i provided in it there are a few suggests like shutting down igfxpers.exe that helped others

and lastly know the old problem with win 8 for the game was largely because certain basic files were added here's see my note here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/659923

good luck
  • Options
    @ceejay402 again, it has nothing to do with dimming issues with the computer since it only happens with The Sims 3 game while on full screen. If it was a dim issue, it would happen with other games or when I am doing other things on the laptop. No one has reported issues with dimming on this laptop. It's an issue that many people are having running the sims 3 with compatibility to windows 8. I would just like to know if there is a way to fix this issue since it has been reported by many people with different laptops
  • Options
    @ceejay402 again, it has nothing to do with dimming issues with the computer since it only happens with The Sims 3 game while on full screen. If it was a dim issue, it would happen with other games or when I am doing other things on the laptop. No one has reported issues with dimming on this laptop. It's an issue that many people are having running the sims 3 with compatibility to windows 8. I would just like to know if there is a way to fix this issue since it has been reported by many people with different laptops
    perhaps you do not mean to sound rude and perhaps you do not understand software conflict but it does not require every program to have the same issue for it to be one. there is a software reason why you cant run the game in 8 and there is a software reason why it dims in compatible mode. further more as you have read its software changes that have helped others to resolve their similar issues you merely need to troubleshoot with your until you find what steps are the ones that resolves yours, again good luck
  • Options
    @ceejay402 I'm coming off as rude? That's not my intention. If it's a software issue, then it's an issue with every laptop since everyone running The Sims 3 on compatibility with windows 8 is having this problem. I just want to check if someone has found a solution to this issue without having to turn off compatibility mode.
  • Options
    thank you and i can attest it is not an issue that every laptop running the game in compatible mode had. but even if you think that then you should be addressing the need to run the game in compatible mode since no one is required to run it in that mode. i have highlighted many possible things that can be at play i suggest again starting with simple steps that helped many others

troubleshooting is a process and can many times requires you to repeat steps. there is no straight forward answer to a problem that some have on different laptops, so its trial and error process. and if you arent actively trying things then you arent going to solve the problem.

for example it is still unclear to me if you have recently even tried to launch the game without compatible mode, driver updates OS updates could have addressed the issue. and you yourself admitted to playing the game unplugged again not clear if you have made sure that wasnt a factor for the game to dim or crash. my game can crash on my laptop if i have it unplugged because of my power settings.

sadly i cant sit in front of your laptop and do the troubleshooting myself you could though seek a pro's help or contact your laptop makers customer service and ask why it dims in c mode or ask if others have requested hep with sims on the same model.
  • Options
    @igazor I heard that the "Errortrap" mod on NRAAS can stop the game from crashing? Is this true? I may use this to turn off compatibility mode and not have the game crash on me. Let me know please
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @igazor I heard that the "Errortrap" mod on NRAAS can stop the game from crashing? Is this true? I may use this to turn off compatibility mode and not have the game crash on me. Let me know please
    ErrorTrap is a highly recommended mod for capturing game breaking errors and other such conditions that can, left "untrapped," indeed cause games to freeze up and crash. But that's for in-game errors having to do with towns, sims, objects, and such. ErrorTrap runs alongside and around the game engine while monitoring for such conditions. It has no bearing on the way in which the TS3 program and your OS are working together and it has no ability in and of itself to just prevent the TS3 executable from crashing. Mods can't actually do that.

With compatibility mode off, your crashing upon switching into Map View is not an in-game issue. It is a software/hardware glitch. There's no harm in giving it a try as like all of our mods it's totally removable if you don't like it, but it sounds like the directions @ceejay402 were leading you in would be more promising.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    DrCuboidDrCuboid Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2015
    I had this too, I fixed it by using borderless windowed mode, here are the steps.

1. Download Windowed Borderless Gaming at westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/download
    2. Extract the .exe to anywhere.
    3. In The Sims 3, put it to windowed mode.
    4. Open WBG in the background with The Sims 3 running.
    5. WBG will be in the tray, right click and click add window, or press F3 on The Sims 3.
    6. Once you've done this, go to right click WBG, open game settings, select The Sims 3 and put the resolution to 1924 x 1084 (If you have 1080p, if not set it to your resolution and add 4 to both of the values).
    7. Set the offset to -2 -2
    8. Press apply, then ok.
    9. Check if the game is fullscreen, if not press F3 a couple of times, if it has messed up fonts, tweak the resolution and offset.
    10. ???
    11. Profit.

Hope this helps ;)
    My wishlist.

Currently working on Steampunk Savvy and would love some new male haircuts.

• Options
    @DrCuboid Whenever I try to open the file, Norton sends me a message that the file is not safe and then deletes it
  • Options
    DrCuboidDrCuboid Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2015
    Then disable Norton temporarily, and extract the files to a folder, and whitelist that folder. Or use something like Avast.
    My wishlist.

Currently working on Steampunk Savvy and would love some new male haircuts.

• Options
    Wade0911Wade0911 Posts: 1 New Member
    OK guys...new here, but I too had the same problem of the screen being dark while playing the Sims 3 on windows 8. I have resolved this issue completely and very easily. I tried everything compatibility all the way back to XP...compatibility for not displaying correctly, checked graphics drivers and on and on...etc. Well here is the easy fix for $20.00....LOL, just kidding...go to your game launcher icon, right click, go to property's, click on the tab named compatibility, you'll see a window that says...Run this program in compatibility for: with a check mark in the box...UNCHECK IT and click apply..the game will run smooth bright and beautiful and smooth as silk... :) FIXED!!!
  • Options
    HunterInShadowHunterInShadow Posts: 302 Member
    Please bear in mind that this particular problem does not appear on every laptop available. For an example my Samsung has no problems running The Sims 3 in fullscreen mode with no compatibility tweaks whatsoever. It does not look at all dark and runs just fine. I've been running it on both Windows 8 and 8.1, having no problems whatsoever.
    "Never tempt the Predator into a Bloodlust." - HunterInShadow
  • Options
    CookiesandCream111CookiesandCream111 Posts: 1 New Member
    I found that when I deleted my CC, my resolution wentry back to normal. I don't suggest deleting it all like I did, but deleting stuff you don't use. Such as: houses that you didnt like or Sim clothing, bair, jewelry that you never use.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    I had the same issue as you, and it's not something that happens only on Windows 8, it exists on Windows 10 too. The game loves lowering the screen's gamma to death. So changing brightness doesn't solve the problem, the culprit is the gamma only. Or at least, if your problem is really the same as the one I experienced.
    Always play in windowed mode. You can also increase your screen's gamma for everyday use in monitor calibration so you can try to make a "compromise" between the gamma you need for the Sims and for other software. Personally, I have a partition dedicated exclusively to the Sims 3 so that the super high gamma when I'm not playing the Sims doesn't bother me.
    The thing with Windows is that monitor calibration will always suggest a gamma that is too low for the Sims 3. So don't listen to what it suggests, and always keep your Sims 3 window open while you're calibrating so you can adjust the gamma to your liking. The tool is the same for Windows 10.
    technorms.com/15392/calibrate-display-windows-8-hidden-tool
    To people who have GeForce Experience, the Sims 3 gamma can be changed with it as well.

Edit : I didn't see how old this thread was and its second page, oops :#
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    I had the same issue as you, and it's not something that happens only on Windows 8, it exists on Windows 10 too. The game loves lowering the screen's gamma to death. So changing brightness doesn't solve the problem, the culprit is the gamma only. Or at least, if your problem is really the same as the one I experienced.
    Always play in windowed mode. You can also increase your screen's gamma for everyday use in monitor calibration so you can try to make a "compromise" between the gamma you need for the Sims and for other software. Personally, I have a partition dedicated exclusively to the Sims 3 so that the super high gamma when I'm not playing the Sims doesn't bother me.
    The thing with Windows is that monitor calibration will always suggest a gamma that is too low for the Sims 3. So don't listen to what it suggests, and always keep your Sims 3 window open while you're calibrating so you can adjust the gamma to your liking. The tool is the same for Windows 10.
    technorms.com/15392/calibrate-display-windows-8-hidden-tool
    To people who have GeForce Experience, the Sims 3 gamma can be changed with it as well.

Edit : I didn't see how old this thread was and its second page, oops :#

what kind of video card do you have? This game has no fps limiter. The game can ruin your video card if you don't cap your fps. Vsync only works in full screen mode. I would not advise anyone play in windowed mode if you have a med level to higher end video card.
  • Options
    I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. I don't have any issues for the moment. I've never seen it go over 60 fps.
  • Options
    I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. I don't have any issues for the moment. I've never seen it go over 60 fps.

Ok as long as it's not going over 60 your good. Its a laptop card and only has ddr3 vram so your fps may not go higher. For those who have higher GTX cards the FPS can get out of control and it will be worse in windowed mode.
  • Options
    But how is it possible to fix the lowered gamma in fullscreen mode ?
  • Options
    But how is it possible to fix the lowered gamma in fullscreen mode ?

I dont know. Im not on windows 10 but you can send user chesterbigbird a pm and ask her http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/chesterbigbird

also do you know what your resolution is? You need a GTX card to game in 1080p. The higher the resolution the higher the video card you need. GT cards are lower than GTX cards. If your in a higher resolution you may have better game performance by being in windowed mode if you don't want to lower the resolution especially since your card is not going over 60 fps in windowed mode. Your fps may drop in full screen if in a higher resolution.

Im on windows 8 and haven't had any issues. I play in Full Screen
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    If you mean the monitor, 1920 x 1080. This is an iMac, a BootCamp partition. Even when I installed Windows 10, the gamma was too low, and with the Sims it was almost impossible to play. I had to increase it almost to max. I think that there is a problem between Windows 10 and Apple monitors. There is also a temperature problem, the screen looks much more yellowish on the BootCamp partition than on OS X (theoretically 7000 K on OS X which looks more like 6500 K in practice, I visually guess about 5500 K on Windows which is too yellowish for my personal taste), but there is no way to adjust the temperature specifically.
    I'd like to manage to solve the two issues eventually, but I don't wish to play in fullscreen mode any longer on this computer. Maybe if I buy a gaming PC later, I will.
  • Options
    If you mean the monitor, 1920 x 1080. This is an iMac, a BootCamp partition. Even when I installed Windows 10, the gamma was too low, and with the Sims it was almost impossible to play. I had to increase it almost to max. I think that there is a problem between Windows 10 and Apple monitors. There is also a temperature problem, the screen looks much more yellowish on the BootCamp partition than on OS X (theoretically 7000 K on OS X which looks more like 6500 K in practice, I visually guess about 5500 K on Windows which is too yellowish for my personal taste), but there is no way to adjust the temperature specifically.
    I'd like to manage to solve the two issues eventually, but I don't wish to play in fullscreen mode any longer on this computer. Maybe if I buy a gamins PC later, I will.

Than you need @igazor or @BlueBellFlora if your on Mac. Since your bootcamping windows your game is still running off windows 10 so chester still maybe able to help you with windows 10 but lets see what input igazor and BlueBell give you since chester does not play on Mac
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you for your help :smile:

Your very welcome.