March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Grey/opaque windows -

BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
A lot of users are reporting an issue whereby the windows are greyed out/opaque in their game. This seems to be all those with integrated Intel graphics. If you are experiencing this please can you post here. I need to know what graphics card you have and what operating system you are running. You can find this information by clicking on the Apple icon, top left of your desktop then selecting About This Mac. Please also state whether you have Laptop Mode enabled in the in-game graphics options. You may need to scroll down the window to see the Laptop Mode option.

I already know some people's specs. which I have detailed below in the second post. The more people who post the better, EA need to know so they can hopefully work on a fix :)

UPDATE 20.02.15 - this issue is affecting ALL non-Retina users with integrated Intel graphics who have Laptop Mode enabled. When Laptop Mode is disabled, windows appear as normal but performance is significantly diminished, sometimes even causing crashes. A workaround may be to lower graphics settings
apple-signature.png
Post edited by BluebellFlora on

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited May 2015
    - Bugged windows -

brookesaywhatx:
    Graphics card: Intel HD 3000 384 MB
    Operating System: Yosemite 10.10.2
    Laptop Mode: Yes
    - disabling laptop mode slightly reduces performance -

EAfan99:
    Graphics card: Intel HD 3000 512 MB
    - disabling laptop mode causes the game to crash -

Jazzpuz:
    Graphics card: Intel HD 4000 1GB
    - disabling Laptop Mode significantly reduces performance -

conday884:

carby84:

Chumcha:
    Graphics card: Intel HD 5000 1.5GB
    Laptop Mode: No

rickyvann:
    Graphics card: Intel Iris 1.5GB
    - disabling Laptop Mode reduces performance -

Jazmyne4u2:
    Graphics card: Intel Iris 6100 1.5GB
    Operating System: Yosemite 10.10.3
    - disabling Laptop Mode reduces performance -
    seperator.jpg

- Normal windows -

MasonGamer:
    Graphics card: Intel HD 4000 1GB (Retina)
    Laptop Mode: No
    - enabling Laptop Mode doesn't cause the glitch -
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Yay I'm at the top od the list lol sorry. Btw loving the new avi, Bluebell. Oh and I am getting the grey windows as well and I do have laptop mode on. Do I like the look of my windows? Not really but I'm getting used to it actually. As long as my game runs as smooth as it does on high settings.
    1FKDfKj.png
    EAfan99 wrote: »
    Yay I'm at the top od the list lol sorry. Btw loving the new avi, Bluebell. Oh and I am getting the grey windows as well and I do have laptop mode on. Do I like the look of my windows? Not really but I'm getting used to it actually. As long as my game runs as smooth as it does on high settings.

Lol ;) I found an amazing cheap app called Fotor on the App Store, it's great for fiddling with pictures.

What happens if you untick Laptop Mode, do your windows look normal?
    apple-signature.png

Lol ;) I found an amazing cheap app called Fotor on the App Store, it's great for fiddling with pictures.

What happens if you untick Laptop Mode, do your windows look normal?

Yeah they do but my game crashes.
    1FKDfKj.png
    @EAfan99 ok, thanks for confirming.
    apple-signature.png
  • rickyvannrickyvann Posts: 5 New Member
    Hello! I've just installed The Sims 4 on my MacBook Pro and have noticed greyed out windows.
    Graphics card: Intel Iris 1536 MB
    Operating system: Yosemite 10.10.2
    Laptop mode: On
    rickyvann wrote: »
    Hello! I've just installed The Sims 4 on my MacBook Pro and have noticed greyed out windows.
    Graphics card: Intel Iris 1536 MB
    Operating system: Yosemite 10.10.2
    Laptop mode: On

Do they appear normally if you disable Laptop Mode?
    apple-signature.png
  • rickyvannrickyvann Posts: 5 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > rickyvann wrote: »
    >
    > Hello! I've just installed The Sims 4 on my MacBook Pro and have noticed greyed out windows.
    > Graphics card: Intel Iris 1536 MB
    > Operating system: Yosemite 10.10.2
    > Laptop mode: On
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Do they appear normally if you disable Laptop Mode?

Yes the windows appear normally, but the smoothness of the game decreases slightly.
    @rickyvann thanks :)
    apple-signature.png
  • carby84carby84 Posts: 86 Member
    edited February 2015
    This happened to me as well. Turned off laptop mode and they appear as normal windows now. So far, I haven't had any crashes, but I haven't played for long stretches yet either, just a little here and there.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
    2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1GB
    carby84 wrote: »
    This happened to me as well. Turned off laptop mode and they appear as normal windows now. So far, I haven't had any crashes, but I haven't played for long stretches yet either, just a little here and there.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
    2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1GB

Thank you. How is performance overall when turned off? Is it about the same or diminished?
    apple-signature.png
    Does anyone have a screenshot of the windows?
    apple-signature.png
  • ChumchaChumcha Posts: 22 New Member
    edited February 2015
    intel 5000 1536MB has the issue too, turning laptop mode off is fine for me though. This is what my game looks like with it on

s9.postimg . org/ro6rtnt4v/02_20_15_7_11_PM . png
  • Srhxv8Srhxv8 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited February 2015
    @rickyvann‌ would you mind sharing your settings in the game, and how well they run without laptop mode on? I'm considering buying it for my new MacBook pro 13" retina, but I don't know if it will play it well. Thanks a bunch
    edited February 2015
    @Chumcha Thank you! Do you mind if copy the picture and add it to my blog? I will of course credit you :) Also, what operating system are you running?
    apple-signature.png
  • ChumchaChumcha Posts: 22 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Chumcha Thank you! Do you mind if copy the picture and add it to my blog? I will of course credit you Also, what operating system are you running?

nope thats fine! and I'm on Yosemite 10.10.2
  • JazzpuzJazzpuz Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2015
    @BluebellFlora‌

[quote="BluebellFlora;13336009"]

[color=darkred]Jazzpuz:[/color]
    [b]Graphics card:[/b] Intel HD 4000 1GB
    [b]Operating System:[/b] Yosemite 10.10.2
    [b]Laptop Mode:[/b] Yes
    [i]- turning off Laptop Mode significantly reduces performance -[/i][/quote]

Donno if it was yesterday's update or because I lowered some graphics settings or removed the 4 mods I had, but my game runs really smoothly now, without laptop mode on and with quite acceptable graphics and no grey windows! :)
    Chumcha wrote: »
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Chumcha Thank you! Do you mind if copy the picture and add it to my blog? I will of course credit you Also, what operating system are you running?

nope thats fine! and I'm on Yosemite 10.10.2

Thanks!

apple-signature.png
    Jazzpuz wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora‌

Jazzpuz:
    - turning off Laptop Mode significantly reduces performance -

Donno if it was yesterday's update or because I lowered some graphics settings or removed the 4 mods I had, but my game runs really smoothly now, without laptop mode on and with quite acceptable graphics and no grey windows! :)

Interesting! Can you up your graphics to what they were? See if the windows go buggy again?

apple-signature.png
    I have an update, my game won't crash if laptop mode is off but there is serious lag and a dramatic fps drop,
    1FKDfKj.png
    I have an update, my game won't crash if laptop mode is off but there is serious lag and a dramatic fps drop,

How are the windows?

apple-signature.png
    Windows are clear without laptop mode. grey with it.
    1FKDfKj.png
    Windows are clear without laptop mode. grey with it.

Still. Ok, I wanted to check because @Jazzpuz doesn't have grey windows anymore.
    apple-signature.png
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    I am also having this problem, I just noticed it yesterday. My windows are not gray though but actually blend in with whatever wallpaper is being used in the house. They are completely solid.

I am running on Yosemite 10.10.2, Intel HD 3000 384 MB. Laptop mode on. Turning it off doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY slow it down but it does get hotter much quicker with it off.
    WLfAA9V.png
    I am also having this problem, I just noticed it yesterday. My windows are not gray though but actually blend in with whatever wallpaper is being used in the house. They are completely solid.

I am running on Yosemite 10.10.2, Intel HD 3000 384 MB. Laptop mode on. Turning it off doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY slow it down but it does get hotter much quicker with it off.

Yeah some of my windows are blending in with the wallpaper too. I think it might have something to do with the fact those windows I put in from previous saves were recolor windows I got from MTS.

But yeah I checked my FPS prior to turning off laptop mode and it's not a lot (20-30) in live mode but compared to bootcamp, it's extremely smoother and definitely a lot better looking. But if I turn laptop mode off it drops to (6-17) FPS in live mode.
    1FKDfKj.png