Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Books & Scenes!!!

MiffoShortMiffoShort Posts: 1,901 Member
Hello everyone :)

Welcome to the "Books & Scenes" thread. This thread is for any writers or aspiring writers :) Here on this thread you are welcome to post any books, scenes, characters or ideas you might have! Any books and scenes are welcomed and if your struggling with ideas or characters then post that too, myself or another Simmer will help you soon enough.

The books you post can be of any genre, happy, adventure, horror, romance etc. And it also doesn't have to be a proper book, you can post scenes if you would prefer or just post a character you have created and see what sort of feedback you will get :) Any ideas are welcome here!

Anyone is welcome to post on this thread, so please, don't hesitate and come and join in with the fun :) .

Matthew.
Post edited by MiffoShort on

Comments

• Options
    SylvSylv Posts: 885 Member
    edited January 2015
    This is a great idea. Sadly I cannot commit to writing a story, although I am an ABSOLUTE BOOKWORM AND I LOVE TO READ! I'm really curious to see what fellow Simmer's come up with.
    Post edited by Sylv on
    tumblr_naeqm3rHmH1tca3q3o1_400.gif
    Origin ID: SylvRo
    Sims 4 Current Household: Generation 11

• Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    that's an excellent idea, I love to read books but when I want to write something, I'm stumped for idea's.
  • Options
    Hello @SimmySammyWammy: Maybe if you can’t commit to writing a story then you should just write scenes which eventually build up to a story :) That’s what I do and it works for me.

Best of luck.

Matthew.

Hello @rosemow Thank you rosemow :) I am glad you like the idea of the thread. I’ll be updating it with one of my own book scenes later on.

Matthew.

@midnightpearl: I’m glad you like the thread :) Feel free to post any books or scenes you might have. Or if you don’t have any books or scenes and just an idea post that here and perhaps we can build something out of it together?
    On this thread there are no bad ideas!

Matthew.
  • Options
    Hello everyone. I finally found a scene to share with everybody :) Its 22 pages long according to Microsoft Word so please don’t feel like you have to read all of it.

It’s something I wrote a while ago, so sorry if it isn’t very descriptive or is a little plain!

Enjoy...

Matthew.

Base Camp

They had parked the campervan in the clearing and the three dark blue Land Rover Discovery’s were parked just a little away from it. Behind the campervan was the red faced cliff. Matthew was glad of where the campervan was parked; it meant that no dinosaurs could come from behind. The dinosaurs could only come from the front of the left or right, even though it didn’t seem like it this was quite an advantage. It meant that they didn’t have to worry about “behind” attacks. Dinosaurs were well known for sneaky behaviour, hiding in hedges, behind trees, in shadows or some-times even in caves! They had a sneaky nature and this sneaky-nature and caught a lot of men and women out over the years; there had been one time when Matthew was just twenty two years old when he had almost been ripped to pieces by a group of baby T-Rex, though the actual dinosaur name of the species is Tyrannosaurus Rex. Matthew got out of one of the Land Rovers and immediately checked the ground for any dinosaur footprints. If there were loads then the expedition group would have to move, camping in a dinosaur next would mean a lot of bones and grinding of teeth...
    The Velociraptor’s were thought to be the most dangerous of all the dinosaurs, however in Matthew’s time he had noticed that the Tyrannosaurus Rex was the most dangerous, it was big and for its size was extremely stealthy and managed to move through forests almost undetected. Most dinosaur-related deaths were caused by the Tyrannosaurus Rex. It had the best of the best lethal weapons, its tail was usually used to hit its prey and then once they were on the ground it usually bent down and its two little hands would hold down the prey and then it was dinnertime!!
    Though then again another one of the most lethal dinosaurs was the Velociraptor’s!
    Raptors were an incredible species of dinosaur. They were about 2 meters tall, had long tails, two eyes a beak-like snout and two arms and two legs. The feet were one of the most impressive things though! Raptors only have three twos, two toes and then the middle toe which is slightly raised above the others and is curved. This middle toe is how most Raptor’s kill their prey...
    The Raptor’s are also believed to have incredible eyesight and an incredible sense of smell. According to the Order records the Raptor’s are capable of smelling blood or poison from just over a half a mile away. The Raptor’s also have long tails and are capable of jumping incredibly high. Raptor’s can jump about as high as a double Decker bus. Their long curved legs are thought to be the reason as to why they can jump so high!

Matthew had met dinosaurs many times and he wasn’t an expert on dinosaurs but he did know a lot about them, especially their hunting patterns. Dinosaurs hunted usually in packs and all of them had a good sense of smell and that’s why their killings were so quick and often quite gory. A dinosaur pack is about as lethal as it gets. In his time Matthew had learnt to expect attacks from the front, behind and the sides. Only on rare occasions do dinosaurs attack solo, but even then, survival is classed as rare. The Order had long ago fought the dinosaurs of to uncharted locations, such as Reptilian Island. If the dinosaurs were in human territory then the poor humans wouldn’t stand a chance!
    Matthew, like most species, found dinosaurs extremely interesting though. But because of a dinosaurs lethal side they were almost impossible to study. Some scientists in the past have studied dinosaurs, but most of them got injured in the process and didn’t try again and some even died!
    After the first study related death, the Order banned studying dinosaurs up close. Nowadays experts study dinosaurs from afar as they don’t want to die and also because the Order doesn’t want dinosaurs interfered with. The dinosaurs are in their own natural habitats, such as Reptilian Island, and disturbing them is strictly forbidden! Except for rare cases like the one Matthew was in now.
    Matthew stared at the ground and saw no animal footprints. The area looked as if the dinosaurs never came in to the clearing, this was good, and it meant that they were clear to set up base camp here. Professor Philips looked at the ground and then at Matthew and said: “Looks clear to me Matthew. I doubt the dinosaurs ever come up here, as there aren’t trees here I doubt they feel comfortable here. They probably feel to exposed”
    “Yes” Agreed Matthew. “Dinosaurs are well known for going in to hiding. The dinosaurs at Navito Forest often stay in the trees and civilization has touched them. So the ones here are likely to be...”
    Professor Philips interrupted him. “Extremely vicious and will most likely get agitated by any unknown noises” Said Professor Philips in a quieter tone. Mathew gave a stiff nod.
    Melissa came from the campervan and was holding a Shotgun. She was also wearing a light green t-shirt and blue jeans. She also wore a brown belt and attached to the belt was a knife holder which had a knife inserted in it.
    “Ah Melissa” Said Terrance.
    “Hi Terrance” She said with a smile. “Your gun girl is all ready in case bullets need to be fired – Ye-Haw”
    Just as Matthew had guessed, Melissa was Texan and her accent was incredibly alluring. But she wasn’t a city-girl she was a proper country-out in the action girl who probably looked danger in the eyes and scared it away! Matthew liked her already; she was the sort of person he’d love to join his team. Though the gun thing, Matthew thought, that would have to go!
    Melissa walked past Matthew and got down on to her knees and practiced her range and shot distance. She didn’t shoot at all; she had been pre-warned by Terrance about disturbing the dinosaurs and any other wildlife that might be on Reptilian Island. Will came out of the campervan next; he was a 25 year old man with blond spiky hair. He wore a light safari-like t-shirt, brown shorts and dark boots. He also wore black sunglasses and a light coloured cowboy hat. Slung over his should was a dark green jungle coloured backpack. Will was Will Thompson and had been a traveller for 5 years now and had trained with only basic animals such as, lions, tigers, and bears and had even once been attacked by a cheetah but by luck he had had a friend with him and had been rushed to the nearest hospital. Will took one look at the clearing and then he looked across at the dense forest. It looked massive and looked as if it went on for miles and miles.
    “Whoa” Will gasped astonished. “This is amazing. How has civilization stayed away from here for so long?”
    Terrance chuckled at Will.
    “Will the animals here are rare and very dangerous. The Order tries to keep visits to the island limited” Said Terrance simply with a smile. Will frowned.
    “Then why are we here?” He asked.
    “Will, we are here because a fellow friend of mine has gone missing. If we are lucky then he remains alive somewhere here on the island” Said Terrance with a hopeful smile. Will smiled too.
    “What animals might we find here?” He asked curiously. Terrance looked across the clearing at the dense forest as if he could see the animals that existed in there.
    “Dangerous ones Will, very dangerous ones. We must try and avoid them” Said Terrance. Matthew walked to Terrance’s side.
    “Terrance avoiding them is going to be all but impossible” Said Matthew simply. “The dinosaurs are extremely clever, especially the carnivores”
    Will looked at Matthew astonished.
    “Dinosaurs!!!” Will gasped.
    “Didn’t you know?” Matthew asked puzzled. Will shook his head.
    “No I didn’t” Said Will with a wide smile. Terrance sighed a tired sigh.
    “Will gets excited fast” Terrance sighed. “I wanted him to find out as late as possible...”
    “You should have told him earlier, he’s unprepared now” Said Matthew crossly.
    “No I’m not” Said Will hotly. “I’m very prepared. I have read all the dinosaur books”
    “Reading isn’t enough y’all” Said Melissa as she jumped up from the ground still holding her shotgun. “Yeah, ya’ll have to have experience. Dinosaurs operate in strange ways”
    “Really?” Will said.
    “Yes” Answered Matthew. “Dinosaurs stick to the shadows and are extremely vicious when it comes to territory. The carnivores are incredibly vicious; they move quickly and use stealth to their advantage. Even the big ones are stealthy. From experience, you don’t see them until their ready to kill...”
    Matthew paused and looked at Will. He had gone very pale but somehow he still looked very excited.
    “R...really!” Said Will anxiously.
    “Yes” Said Matthew, Melissa was nodding in agreement.
    “Wow” Exclaimed Will excitedly. A few birds flew from the trees as his yell echoed around the clearing.
    “Quiet” Hissed Terrance worriedly. He looked at the dense forest. The forest was so dark and crowded with trees that Terrance couldn’t even see the ground, meaning that any animal or dinosaur could be lurking in the shadows. He shook the wild thought from his mind and turned back to the campervan. But then he gasped, behind the campervan was the reddish orange cliff face and above the tall cliff was the blue sky – except! The sky was no longer blue and far of in the distance Terrance could see hundreds of grey clouds that were all approaching the island. A low rumble of thunder filled the air; almost everybody looked towards the forest for any signs of a dinosaur, but to their relief it had been thunder and not anything from the forest. As another rumble of thunder sounded another person came from the campervan. It was a 27 year old man named Derrick Willis. Derrick had brown curly hair and was wearing a white buttoned shirt, blue jeans and white trainers. He was the technical man of the group and had designed all of their computers, the phones and some of the weaponry. Derrick exited the campervan and looked up at the darkening sky.
    “Looks like thunder Terrance” Said Derrick with a sniff. “Think it’ll affect the animals?”
    “I doubt it” Said Matthew. “There’s probably mean loads of storms on this island. The animals are probably use to it by now”
    “Well, I sure hope so” Said Derrick with a weak smile as he sat down on the grass. Matthew smiled too and then looked back at the many trees of the jungle, he had the feeling they were being watched by some-thing or someone...
    Terrance walked to Matthew’s side.
    “So McCain, from all your experience what’s the best way to work around dinosaurs without being detected?” Terrance asked quietly.
    “You can’t” Matthew said simply. “When we enter that forest our scents will be on the trees and in the grass. At some point a carnivore will find the scent and will then hunt us...”
    “Uh Mr. McCain” Said Derrick as he jumped to his feet. Matthew turned and faced Derrick.
    “This deodorant was created by myself and contains a gas. It’s a gas that smells like the dinosaurs, as you will already know, dinosaurs all smell, well, pretty much the same so this should allow us to pass through the forest, undetected” Said Derrick simply.
    “That’s amazing” Smiled Matthew. Will looked anxiously at Derrick, and asked: “Um, what exactly do dinosaurs smell like?”
    “They smell all swampy and stink of dead carcasses. Mainly because of where they live and how often they hunt for food” Said Derrick with a smile. “However I did add a few sweet smells to my special spray and after testing it in Navito Forest I am thankful to say that I managed to spend several hours in there without even one dinosaur finding me...”
    “When do we begin sir?” Melissa asked Terrance. Terrance checked his watch and then said: “Tomorrow morning, at about 6 or 7’00a.m. we’ll head out in to the forest as a group. Nobody splits from the group – ever! So tonight get a good night’s sleep and we’ll all take it in turns to watch over the clearing”
    “Right-o sir” Said Will with a smile, Terrance nodded at him and then went inside of the campervan.

That night the expedition group were all doing their own things. And Terrance had sent Matthew, Melissa and Will out in to the forest to fetch water. Matthew thought that it was stupid to come without any water but then again, he was sure there would be a stream or lake on the island somewhere. They walked from the camper-van and to the edge of the clearing. Matthew stared over the edge and at the forest; it appeared to get in to the forest they had to climb down the side of the clearing.
    “That’s why there haven’t been dinosaurs up here” Said Will. “They have to climb...”
    “Will they can climb” Said Matthew. “But your right it is interesting why they haven’t been up here”
    Melissa slung her shotgun over her shoulders and began to climb down. Matthew followed her lead and then Will climbed down too. The cliff face was like the one behind of the campervan. Dark red with a tint of orange, They reached the bottom and were stood in soggy wet grass that went up to their knees. Matthew turned from the cliff and looked at the forest, it was dense and dark and there were no signs of a road or path. They began to walk and took their first steps in to the forest as a light rain began to fall. Within seconds they were in the forest and the thickness of the trees blocked out all light and they were suddenly alone, not knowing who or what was around them. Matthew constantly had his eyes on the ground checking for any footprints, at the moment he hadn’t seen any but it was a guarantee that sooner or later he would find a footprint.
    “So then Matthew” Said Melissa. “How did you end up here?”
    Matthew looked up from the ground and at Melissa.
    “Well according to my boss a few members of my team and I are perfect for this expedition” Said Matthew with a tired sigh. Melissa laughed.
    “You didn’t want to come?” She said with raised eyebrows.
    “Not really no, I usually deal with demons in a city called Leatherbridge” Said Matthew simply with a smile. Melissa stared at him impressed.
    “You’re brave. I’ve heard legends about that city, is it as bad as they say?” She asked curiously.
    “No” Said Matthew. “It’s much worse...”
    Melissa and Matthew laughed. They came out of the dense trees and were now stood by a long stream that had many curves and bends. On the opposite end of the stream was more trees, not as thick as the ones they had just passed but the trees opposite seemed to be more jungle like, they were tall and next to them were bushes and ferns. Matthew could only guess that the animals would be lurking somewhere in that forest. He also noticed that on the other end of the stream there was a brown pathway that existed in the overgrown grass, it seemed to go downwards and out of sight next to the trees opposite.
    “That’s odd” Said Matthew. Melissa looked from the stream to where he was pointing and she gasped when she saw the pathway.
    “T...that can’t be right. There’s no civilization on Reptilian Island” She said anxiously. “Now that can’t have been made by no critters...”
    “I agree” Said Matthew worriedly. “OK we’ll get the water and head back, Terrance will want to know”
    As Matthew turned he suddenly realised something. As Melissa held out the giant bottle for the water he realised that Will was no longer with them...

Hope you liked it :)
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Your book scene is great! :) You are a very talented writer! :) Your descriptions of the people are great! It was great reading what you wrote! It was interesting reading about the dinosaurs. Your story writing is very descriptive and the words that you use and how they are written brings the story to life, and makes us as readers feel that we are actually there, witnessing what you are writing and hearing the words that are being said and the thoughts that are being thought.
    Thankyou for sharing your book scene with us! :) The end to the scene left us wondering what would happen next!
  • Options
    Hello @rosemow :)

I am thrilled that you enjoyed my book scene :) It’s one I wrote a while ago but I kept it, I am quite glad I did keep it now :)

I am happy that you enjoyed it rosemow :) And that you found that you were really a part of the story. It’s always good knowing that the story makes you feel a part of it!
    Thank you for your lovely comment :)

Sending love and hugs to you :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    MiffoShort wrote: »
    Hello @SimmySammyWammy: Maybe if you can’t commit to writing a story then you should just write scenes which eventually build up to a story :) That’s what I do and it works for me.

Best of luck.

Matthew.

Hello @rosemow Thank you rosemow :) I am glad you like the idea of the thread. I’ll be updating it with one of my own book scenes later on.

Matthew.

@midnightpearl: I’m glad you like the thread :) Feel free to post any books or scenes you might have. Or if you don’t have any books or scenes and just an idea post that here and perhaps we can build something out of it together?
    On this thread there are no bad ideas!

Matthew.

cool, thanx Matthew :smiley:

• Options
    @midnightpearl: No problem :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    SylvSylv Posts: 885 Member
    The idea of dinosaurs was really cool. And yes, I agree with @rosemow that you make readers feel as if they're there watching it take place right before their eyes. If you have anything else, I'd be happy to read it.
    tumblr_naeqm3rHmH1tca3q3o1_400.gif
    Origin ID: SylvRo
    Sims 4 Current Household: Generation 11

• Options
    @SimmySammyWammy: Thank you for the lovely feedback :) I’m glad you liked it and I’ll happily share more scenes a little later on :) Was there anything you would have changed or did you like it all?

I’m glad you enjoyed my scene :) And thought of it as if you were in the book too :)

Happy Simming!

Matthew.
  • Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    Great stuff @MiffoShort

I really like the dialogue - that's one thing I really struggled with when I wrote. Any dialogue I wrote just sounded stilted and unrealistic, but I thought yours flowed quite naturally.

I hope Will is OK...! ;)
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    Hello @MegandtheMoon: Thank you for your kind words and feedback :) I always struggled with dialogue and description in my books when I began writing, but now (two years on) I like to think that I got the hang of it by now ;)

Well if you have any scenes then be sure to post them :) Remember all work is welcome here!
    I haven't finished this scene, I wrote it and then moved on to another one but from the way it was going I do believe that eventually Will got eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex :( Poor Will :'(

Sending warm and kind thoughts to you :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    @MiffoShort- Your scene is very interesting. It really captures a sense of adventure, which is very captivating as a reader. I love the dinosaurs, bringing them back to life and putting a modern spin on things is very refreshing. Very cool idea. :mrgreen: You certainly leave readers wondering at the end too, "oh no where is Will", mystery one of the best aspects of any story! I love it. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    @dreamerz13: Thank you for your kind feedback :) I am glad that you liked the scene and even more happy that you love the spin I put on the dinosaurs :) In a many books I have read I see a lot of the same material so I try and create my own material, if possible.

So glad you liked the scenes and the ideas :) If you have any books, scenes or ideas then please feel free to share them here with us :)

Sending you big HUGS :) !

Matthew.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Okay well, I will share from my NaNoWriMo novel, Towards the Light, as it's my pride and joy at the moment. This isn't necessarily my final version as I haven't done much editing and revision yet, I'm pretty happy with this scene though. I've tried to give it another run through for editing before posting, but if there's any errors in it please forgive them, I hopefully caught them all but I may have missed some still. This is the opening to the novel.

Also hopefully this doesn't cut me off, as it's pretty long (I don't even know what the limit is on the forums, just apparently they have one). *fingers crossed*

Around midnight a car whizzed past Celeste as she walked alongside the highway. She stuck out a thumb hoping they would stop and pick her up. It was a bitterly cold winter night and her car had broken down several kilometres back. She was unable to receive a signal on her phone and she was just trying to get into the town about 20 kilometres or so ahead where she could find shelter and warmth for the night. Like the few cars before they had kept driving, though the driver had slowed down for a moment and stared directly at he before looking back at the road ahead and speeding away. A couple drivers earlier had done the same, a couple had just whizzed past without noticing her at all, and one car had a passenger that had watched her like she was some kind of freak even tuning to stare out the back window until they were out of sight. How could people be so oblivious to her, and how could they be so heartless when they did notice her? How could anybody leave a young girl to wander the highway alone on such a cold and miserable night?

Celeste woke up snug and warm in her bed, a breeze was blowing her curtains through the open window and the smell of bacon wafted through the room. She looked at the clock on her bedside table and it was already 6:50am, she had to be up in 10 minutes. She knew it was pointless to sleep more although she wanted to; she’d hardly slept at all the night before, she’d been up late playing video games with her brother after a late dinner out with her family. Still, with only 10 minutes left anyway, and no time to take advantage of the snooze button. She gave in and slowly, and slightly grudgingly, got out of bed. Why did she have to be up so early again?

She followed the intoxicating smell down the hall and down the stairs into the kitchen. Her mom and dad were already up and in the kitchen and dining room, her dad was sitting at the dining room table reading the newspaper and drinking coffee and her mom was cooking breakfast.

“Good morning!” Celeste exclaimed cheerfully announcing her presence in the room, even as exhausted as she was she still felt cheery and happy; she just had a very bubbly personality.

Her dad looked up from his paper and started to fold it up and put it off to the side “Oh, good morning.”

“Oh good you’re up.” He mother exclaimed as she flipped over a pancake “I was thinking I should cook up an extra pancake or two for you. If you think you’ll eat them. It’ll be nice to know while I’m still cooking”

“I think it’s probably okay, mom. But thanks.” Celeste answered as she snuck past her mother towards the coffee maker.

They had one of those single cup coffee makers so that everybody could have what they wanted whenever they wanted and they didn’t have to make a big pot of the same thing. Celeste picked out her favourite coffee, Columbian medium roast, popped the cup in the machine, grabbed a large mug from the cupboard and put it under the machine and set the machine to the proper setting. Another great thing about those coffee makers she thought was that they brewed faster, and the faster she got her coffee the better.

“Are you sure?” Her mother asked as Celeste waited for the coffee to pour “You have a long day and a long drive ahead of you. You should make sure you have a big breakfast and are full and satisfied before you go. Who knows when you’ll eat next?”

“Yeah, I’m sure. I have some snacks in my car already if I’m hungry before I get to stop for lunch.” She grabbed her cup of coffee which had finished pouring and held it up “besides this right here is what I need the most. Load me up with a travel mug full of this and I’m set.”

“Well maybe I’ll just make them anyway. If you don’t eat them somebody will, but I’ll feel better if you eat them.”

“I really don’t think I will, but if it makes you feel better, I’ll see if I still have room later.”

Celeste walked over and sat at the table across from her dad and waited for breakfast; she always wanted to help her mom but she knew it was no use, her mother always refused help, and Celeste had learned to just accept it.

They were still waiting for her brother, Jake, and her sister, Emma, to get up as well. Her brother joined them about 15 minutes later and having finished cooking her mother went to go get her sister. Once they were back and seated everybody ate. They didn’t often eat together, usually just on the weekends and on special occasions or holidays, as they all got up at different times during the week. Usually they grabbed cereal or something whenever they were hungry. But it was a bittersweet and special occasion that day. It was the last time Celeste would be able to join them at breakfast and the last time she’d be home until Christmas; it was the day she left for university.

Breakfast was eaten in silence despite the fact that it was supposed to a nice family meal before Celeste left, nobody seemed to have anything to say; the last chance to have a nice conversation around the breakfast table and they were wasting it. Maybe everybody was just too grumpy from having to be up so early, her mom and dad were early risers, and Emma was unpredictable, but Celeste and Jake were late sleepers and were seldom up for a few hours yet though Celeste didn’t tend to be grumpy but Jake did. Or maybe everybody was just too sad, they were a very close family and it was hard to watch Celeste. Everybody did seem to eat a lot slower than normal though, likely trying to delay her departure and cherishing the last moments with her even if they were very silent moments.

She still needed to shower and finish packing after breakfast, though she needed to hit the highway and breakfast had taken longer than she expected so she rushed through both as quickly as she could. She skipped blow drying and straightening her hair and just pulled it back into a ponytail, and skipped out on the makeup. Normally she’d be concerned more over her appearance but since she was spending all day in her car anyway it didn’t matter much.

The things she hadn’t packed yet were mostly things she’d still been using like her journal, her laptop, and the book she’d been reading; she tossed all those in her laptop bag, and quickly shoved more clothes and some toiletries in another bag, she hadn’t pack toiletries yet though she had a couple bags of fresh supplies that she had bought ready to go so she was able to just toss those right in, and clothes she just wasn’t sure she had enough, though she’d never be sure of that.

Once she was done packing she grabbed her bags and started dragging the out to the car. She paused in front of the entryway to the living room where everybody was waiting “Okay guys, I’m ready to go”

They all followed her out to wait beside the driveway as she finished loading her car and got ready to take off.

“Okay, well. I guess this is it.” She said as shoved her bag of clothes and toiletries into the car, nestled her laptop bag securely down the side and slammed the trunk. She turned back towards her family, “This is goodbye.”

Her mother had already started to cry and was the first to step forward. She threw her arms around Celeste and squeezed her tightly “Oh I’m going to miss you so much! But I’m so happy for you. Have a safe trip and of course don’t forget to call when you get there.”

“I’ll miss you too, mom.” Celeste started to tear up herself. “and I promise I’ll call as soon as I get there.”

Her father was next, he didn’t cry, but he did give her a quick hug. “I’ll miss you kiddo. Have a safe trip.”

“I’ll miss you too, dad.”

Like her father, her brother didn’t cry, but he didn’t try to hug her and protested when she tried to hug him. “Aww come on. I’ll miss you and I’ll be gone for months, just let me give you a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 hug.”

“I just don’t want you go and I know you won’t go without a hug. So no. I mean if you go who’s 🐸🐸🐸🐸 will I kick at video games.”

“Whatever you dork.” She laughed slightly “Just give me my hug, because I am going anyway.”

“Fine.” He grudgingly agreed and hugged her. She was glad he was still trying to tease her a bit, it made her smile and helped lessen the urge to cry.

Her sister, Emma, was last and she was crying harder than anybody. “Aww… it’ll be okay munchkin” Celeste knelt to her level and tried to comfort her.

“I don’t want you to leave” Emma responded pouting and folding her arms.

“I know, and I’m sorry. I’ll be home for Christmas though, it’s only a few months. And I’ll call all the time. Okay?”

“No. I don’t want you to leave at all.”

“Well, I’m sorry, but I have to. I’ll miss you so much. Just give me a hug, so it hurts less.”

She was still pouting and kept her arms folded, she refused to budge. “You have to call every day.”

“I don’t know about every day, but I will call as often as I can. At least once a week, I promise. Okay?”

“Fine” Emma kept crying but had come around to the idea of a hug, so much so that it was several minutes before she’d let Celeste go. Once Celeste managed to get free Emma went to cling to her mom, still bawling her eyes out.

“Okay well, goodbye. I’ll miss you all so much” Celeste looked at her family one last time turning around and getting into her car.

She rolled her window down so she could stick her hand out and wave as she drove off. Her family waved back until she was out of sight. Once she was out of sight Celeste let herself cry, she couldn’t fight it back any longer. She’d never been away from her family for more than a few days before, it was a bit scary leaving them, but mostly she was just going to miss them.

---

I'll probably take out that first paragraph eventually and expand it into a prologue but for now it's hanging out with the first chapter. :mrgreen:

Edit: Just sneaking in with a couple minor edits, they'll forever haunt me if I don't fix them. See I knew I might have missed stuff. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by dreamerz13 on
  • Options
    @dreamerz13:

Wow I absolutely fell in love with your scene :) It was a great scene, descriptive, full of character and at times was extremely heart warming :) Your scene was brilliant and I urge you to either continue with that scene or write more like it :)

I think my favourite bit was when they were all sat at the breakfast table. I could feel the atmosphere just by reading it :)
    Your scene truly was beautiful dreamerz13! Write and share more with us :)

You should write more :) As I have been told by a professional writer: "Writing can't be taught, it has to come from within!"

Best of luck dreamerz13 :)

Sending you many hugs.

If you or anyone else has any books or scenes they would like to share then please come and join us on the thread :)
    And I must quickly say, what you post on here doesn't have to be a book or a scene, it can be a fact book, a medical book or a book of science. Whatever you like basically :)

Hope to see you here soon :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Your first chapter of your novel is written so very well! @dreamerz13 :) You are very descriptive in your writing, and capture well the emotions of the people! We can sense and feel the different thoughts and feelings of each of the family members as they are saying goodbye to Celeste through your writing. You have captured the different ways and types of each of the members as they say their goodbyes, with the undertones that they will all miss Celeste very much and are showing it in different ways. The conversations between the family members and Ceieste are written well. Your building of the character of Celeste through the chapter allows us to create an image in our mind of what she is like. The first part of your passage/the prologue sets the scene for what will happen later on.
    Your writing is very great! Thanks for sharing a part of your novel with us :)
  • Options
    MiffoShort wrote: »
    @dreamerz13:

Wow I absolutely fell in love with your scene :) It was a great scene, descriptive, full of character and at times was extremely heart warming :) Your scene was brilliant and I urge you to either continue with that scene or write more like it :)

I think my favourite bit was when they were all sat at the breakfast table. I could feel the atmosphere just by reading it :)
    Your scene truly was beautiful dreamerz13! Write and share more with us :)

You should write more :) As I have been told by a professional writer: "Writing can't be taught, it has to come from within!"

Best of luck dreamerz13 :)

Sending you many hugs.

If you or anyone else has any books or scenes they would like to share then please come and join us on the thread :)
    And I must quickly say, what you post on here doesn't have to be a book or a scene, it can be a fact book, a medical book or a book of science. Whatever you like basically :)

Hope to see you here soon :)

Matthew.

Thanks so much. :mrgreen: I'm glad you found it at times heartwarming, that's one of things I strived for most, so I'm glad it comes across.

I'll try to share more after, as I go through and get stuff polished up enough. I'm working on my favourite scene of the novel now (well I will be shortly when the house is quiet again XD), I'd really love to share that. It's a bit rough currently though (and it is brutal to edit so it's not a fast process). I'd love to see more of what you've written too, I hope you'll share more (I don't think I said that earlier, I meant to)

I like that saying, it's quite true. Some extent of writing is taught, that's the technicalities of it, but the emotions and imagery that make it good come from within.
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Your first chapter of your novel is written so very well! @dreamerz13 :) You are very descriptive in your writing, and capture well the emotions of the people! We can sense and feel the different thoughts and feelings of each of the family members as they are saying goodbye to Celeste through your writing. You have captured the different ways and types of each of the members as they say their goodbyes, with the undertones that they will all miss Celeste very much and are showing it in different ways. The conversations between the family members and Ceieste are written well. Your building of the character of Celeste through the chapter allows us to create an image in our mind of what she is like. The first part of your passage/the prologue sets the scene for what will happen later on.
    Your writing is very great! Thanks for sharing a part of your novel with us :)

Thanks so much! :mrgreen: I try to focus on my characters first and most in my writing, so your comments on them mean so much. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Hello @dreamerz13: Well it came across heart warming to me so you did a splendid job :) Your writing strikes me as it has been written by someone with a real passion and that's you. You write with passion and it really shows up through your scene, that's the second thing I noticed when reading your scene :) . Well once your done editing make sure that you do share some more scenes or books, I really enjoyed your last one!

I will share some more of my scenes, most likely tomorrow :) Until then, have fun writing and Simming!!!
    I also like that saying ;)

Sending big HUGS to you tonight!

Matthew.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    @MiffoShort Wow! I am not one that is interested in Dinosaurs, but I did read your story!
    Very interesting :D It held my interest all the way thru!

I love how you went into so much detail...described what the people were wearing, what they looked like.........so I felt like I was right there with them!

You sure went into details about the names and described how the dinosaurs looked too. I am glad we don't have to worry about them in RL :|

I have bookmarked this and will definitely come back to read the next chapter (so curious now where Will went) LOL

I will be back in a bit to read dreamerz13 story also!

*Big Hugs*
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hello @charlotteprice: I hope your having a nice day so far :) I'm so happy that you enjoyed my book scene and felt as if you were there too. I try and be as descriptive as I possibly can. Being descriptive was a real problem for me a few months ago :) So glad you enjoyed it!

I like dinosaurs and before I wrote the scene I did quite a bit of research in to them, found out which ones were carnivores and which ones were herbivores. I like to research in to things like that before I write about them :) That way once I am done I can give them a unique twist or personality.

I am so happy that you liked the scene, especially as you aren't very keen on dinosaurs :) Feel free at any point to share your own books or scenes :) And yes you should read @dreamerz13: scene, it is very good and is full of emotion and powerful parts that really make you a part of the story :)
    Yes dinosaurs aren't around anymore, I wouldn't want to see a live one either :p

I'll be sharing another scene later on, but before then I have to update my first post on this thread. I want to explain this thread more professionally and also a bit more clearer :)

Have a great day @charlotteprice: :)

Sending you much love and many Big HUGS :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    @charlotteprice: You wouldn't want to come face to face with one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pCgGojeGjM

;)

Matthew.