Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How can I make my game run smoother/faster?

Okay so my game is getting laggy and slow. I know it is most likely partly due to my CPU which doesn't quite reach the requirements, so other than buying a new CPU which I can't afford right now, How can I make it run smoother and faster? I have already tried mooving my screenshots and recorded videos, lowering the settings as much as I can without the game looking horrible and I have removed all CC but the pregnancy scanner mod, one set of freckles and one blush.

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    milly001 wrote: »
    Okay so my game is getting laggy and slow. I know it is most likely partly due to my CPU which doesn't quite reach the requirements, so other than buying a new CPU which I can't afford right now, How can I make it run smoother and faster? I have already tried mooving my screenshots and recorded videos, lowering the settings as much as I can without the game looking horrible and I have removed all CC but the pregnancy scanner mod, one set of freckles and one blush.

Make sure all your drivers are up-to-date and that you don't have other, optional software running. Play offline. If that's still not enough, upload your Library contents to the Gallery (so you can get them in-game later) and delete the contents of the Tray folder. If that still doesn't help, try moving older Saves you aren't using out of the Saves folder; keep them somewhere else. And you might also find that cleaning up the game folder helps:
    1. Put your Saves, Tray and Mod folders and Option.ini file on your desktop.
    2. Delete the rest of the The Sims 4 folder from your Documents > Electronic Arts folder.
    3. Start the game, exit the game, and put your moved items back.
    4. Delete the Scratch subfolder from inside Saves. Then start the game again.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    milly001milly001 Posts: 394 Member
    thankyou, i'll try theese
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Also keep in mind any other programs or background tasks that may be running and using valuable computer resources. There are programs like Razer's GameBooster that will automatically close everything (that isn't a system process) when you open a specified program such as a game, and then reopen it all once you're finished.

If the problem ultimately stems back to an underpowered computer, though, then there isn't really anything you can do other than upgrade your hardware. No amount of coercing will make the game run better if the hardware itself physically can not handle the game.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    simboy24simboy24 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > milly001 wrote: »
    >
    > Okay so my game is getting laggy and slow. I know it is most likely partly due to my CPU which doesn't quite reach the requirements, so other than buying a new CPU which I can't afford right now, How can I make it run smoother and faster? I have already tried mooving my screenshots and recorded videos, lowering the settings as much as I can without the game looking horrible and I have removed all CC but the pregnancy scanner mod, one set of freckles and one blush.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Make sure all your drivers are up-to-date and that you don't have other, optional software running. Play offline. If that's still not enough, upload your Library contents to the Gallery (so you can get them in-game later) and delete the contents of the Tray folder. If that still doesn't help, try moving older Saves you aren't using out of the Saves folder; keep them somewhere else. And you might also find that cleaning up the game folder helps:
    > 1. Put your Saves, Tray and Mod folders and Option.ini file on your desktop.
    > 2. Delete the rest of the The Sims 4 folder from your Documents > Electronic Arts folder.
    > 3. Start the game, exit the game, and put your moved items back.
    > 4. Delete the Scratch subfolder from inside Saves. Then start the game again.

thanks this totally worked
  • Options
    KawaiiPerfectionistKawaiiPerfectionist Posts: 29 Member
    > 1. Put your Saves, Tray and Mod folders and Option.ini file on your desktop.
    > 2. Delete the rest of the The Sims 4 folder from your Documents > Electronic Arts folder.
    > 3. Start the game, exit the game, and put your moved items back.
    > 4. Delete the Scratch subfolder from inside Saves. Then start the game again.

What do you mean by delete the rest of the sims 4 folder, do you mean everything like custom music, screenshots etc and also the TS4.exe, Please reply as my game is really laggy and slow
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello @KawaiiPerfectionist . I am sorry that you are having game issues,

Shut down your computer completely. Start the computer again, then launch the game and see if that helps.

Do you have cc/mods in your game? If you do, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if the issuea are still there.

If you are playing on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, do what is in this thread.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/863606/laptop-users-update-your-card-assignment-for-64bit#latest

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Remove some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.

Try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps. To do that ,
    Go to My Games in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

Have you been playing the same save game for a while? Try starting a new save game file and test to see if the issues remain.
  • Options
    @rosemow Thanks for replying! Ok , I'll try the things you suggested! I hope it works. Sorry to bother, but I also have another issue, when downloaded custom content, it shows up at the beggining listing my cc but when i go into CAS, nothing appears, however, my cc furniture appears in build mode, can you explain to me why is this?
  • Options
    @rosemow Thanks for replying! Ok , I'll try the things you suggested! I hope it works. Sorry to bother, but I also have another issue, when downloaded custom content, it shows up at the beggining listing my cc but when i go into CAS, nothing appears, however, my cc furniture appears in build mode, can you explain to me why is this?

Hello,
    The CAS items may be broken or conflicting with the game since the latest patches .

Try also moving your mods folder to the desktop. Start the game , and a new mods folder will be generated. Exit the game. Then put your mods/CC back from the old mods folder into the newly generated mods folder and see if they all appear in the game now.

Make sure also that you only have one resources.cfg file in the mods folder.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > KawaiiPerfectionist wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow Thanks for replying! Ok , I'll try the things you suggested! I hope it works. Sorry to bother, but I also have another issue, when downloaded custom content, it shows up at the beggining listing my cc but when i go into CAS, nothing appears, however, my cc furniture appears in build mode, can you explain to me why is this?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello,
    > The CAS items may be broken or conflicting with the game since the latest patches .
    >
    > Try also moving your mods folder to the desktop. Start the game , and a new mods folder will be generated. Exit the game. Then put your mods/CC back from the old mods folder into the newly generated mods folder and see if they all appear in the game now.
    >
    > Make sure also that you only have one resources.cfg file in the mods folder.
    Whatever cc i try, they never come up and I have two resource files, I deleted 1, but then when i opened the sims 4, they regenerated, and also I downloaded these cc hairs from a cc creator called Skysims, and i don't know why but her custom content shows up when nobody else's cc shows up.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > KawaiiPerfectionist wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow Thanks for replying! Ok , I'll try the things you suggested! I hope it works. Sorry to bother, but I also have another issue, when downloaded custom content, it shows up at the beggining listing my cc but when i go into CAS, nothing appears, however, my cc furniture appears in build mode, can you explain to me why is this?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello,
    > The CAS items may be broken or conflicting with the game since the latest patches .
    >
    > Try also moving your mods folder to the desktop. Start the game , and a new mods folder will be generated. Exit the game. Then put your mods/CC back from the old mods folder into the newly generated mods folder and see if they all appear in the game now.
    >
    > Make sure also that you only have one resources.cfg file in the mods folder.
    Whatever cc i try, they never come up and I have two resource files, I deleted 1, but then when i opened the sims 4, they regenerated, and also I downloaded these cc hairs from a cc creator called Skysims, and i don't know why but her custom content shows up when nobody else's cc shows up.

There should only be one resource.cfg file in the mods folder. If there are still two resource.cfg files in the folder, move both of them to your desktop. Start the game, then test to see if the cc items come up in CAS. Then exit the game, and check to make sure that there is just one resource.cfg file in the mods folder.
    Sometimes cc from particular sites don't appear in the game, whilst cc from other sites do. Other simmers have been having the same issues, using cc from particular sites,
  • Options
    Having two resource files isn't an issue because I downloaded A LOT of cc furniture with there being two resource files and I see all of the furniture I have downloaded. I'm just really upset that my cc clothes and makeup etc doesn't show up in CAS
  • Options
    Having two resource files isn't an issue because I downloaded A LOT of cc furniture with there being two resource files and I see all of the furniture I have downloaded. I'm just really upset that my cc clothes and makeup etc doesn't show up in CAS

Could you try testing with removing the two resource.cfg files like I suggested in the above post, because there was another simmer who had a similar issue to yours and found that when they only has one resource.cfg file in their folder instead of 2, all of their cc both CAS and build/buy mode items then appeared. If you haven't already done it, try testing by doing what I posted in the above post. It may help the issue.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14707568/#Comment_14707568
  • Options
    But even when there was one resource file, i didn't see my custom content in CAS
  • Options
    But even when there was one resource file, i didn't see my custom content in CAS

Hello.
    Are your CAS cc items from the same sites? Some simmers have issues with cc from particular sites not appearing in their game. Try downloading some CAS cc from a different site and see if that cc appears. You posted earlier that some other cc hair that you downloaded was able to appear in your cas, so perhaps try testing by downloading other cc by the same creator or a different one.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Have you tried letting the game generate a new one? Delete all your resource.cfg files (do a search to make sure you got them all) and let the game generate a new one. If you're still not seeing CAS, I'd be very suspect that a piece of incompatible CC or a CC conflict is causing problems.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    LanceSimmerLanceSimmer Posts: 4 New Member
    Guys I need help determining if my computer would work well with sims, and whats the best options to have high settings and play smoothly:

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5
    iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009)
    Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

I am hoping I can save up for a new computer, but I need to know what the estimated price it is going to be to have a high setting, smooth playing game. This is a family computer and we had it since 2009 so is it the age of the computer? Just give me suggestions that will give me the best price and best details there are. Thank You! o:) <3 B)
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited April 2016
    @LanceSimmer You might try asking the mac section of the forum on your older mac http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/813226/can-my-mac-run-the-sims-4-answers-can-be-found-here#latest

ps are you buying a new mac or pc?
  • Options
    LanceSimmerLanceSimmer Posts: 4 New Member
    Either one but probably Mac because my family shares it
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Either one but probably Mac because my family shares it

Than I would talk to the mac section. This section is for pc. If you decide in the end you want pc post back here to ask
  • Options
    rachluvsdaverachluvsdave Posts: 80 Member
    @rosemow, I feel like it's probably right in front of me but where can I find the "options.ini" file?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @rosemow, I feel like it's probably right in front of me but where can I find the "options.ini" file?

Hello @rachluvsdave .
    The "options.ini " file is in the Documents-electronic arts -sims 4 folder. In some games, it just says " options " , without .ini on the end of it. It is a file, not a folder.
  • Options
    rachluvsdaverachluvsdave Posts: 80 Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > rachluvsdave wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow, I feel like it's probably right in front of me but where can I find the "options.ini" file?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @rachluvsdave .
    > The "options.ini " file is in the Documents-electronic arts -sims 4 folder. In some games, it just says " options " , without .ini on the end of it. It is a file, not a folder.

Okay, thank you... That is what confused me. I was looking for a file with the .ini on the end.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > rachluvsdave wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow, I feel like it's probably right in front of me but where can I find the "options.ini" file?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @rachluvsdave .
    > The "options.ini " file is in the Documents-electronic arts -sims 4 folder. In some games, it just says " options " , without .ini on the end of it. It is a file, not a folder.

Okay, thank you... That is what confused me. I was looking for a file with the .ini on the end.

Hello.
    In some computers it appears as " options" and in other computers as " options.ini" . It depends on the file display settings that you have for your computer, whether it shows the .ini ending or not.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2016
    To determine what type of file you are looking at you have to enable File Name Extensions within each folder under the tab View. Correction: enabling the function covers all folders.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Can someone help me?, Why are all my objects kind of glitchy and the edges are like zig zags and they are not straight?