Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it just me or do all the kids basically look the same?!

For those of you who have played around with CAS for the child stage is it just me or...

I just feel extremely limited in my creation of children that I feel no matter what I do they all look the same. They can't have severely chubby cheeks or even be fat!? Being a fat kid growing up, it kinda hurts that I can't make them well fat. Once you zoom out (at least IMHO) not matter what I do it looks like the same little child no matter what I do. The features are just so limited to a certain size, my issue is the noses.

To me it just seems no matter how hard I try to change the "ethnicity" of the child sim they always end up looking anglo/western with different color skin plastered on...

Am I just being crazy lol?
paperman12.gif

Comments

• Options
    SassouSassou Posts: 52 Member
    Nope. I think that's an issue EA hasn't fixed since Sims 2...
  • Options
    renzillarenzilla Posts: 725 Member
    I understand what you're saying, but when you mix parents with very different genetics, it shows. :) Example of the parents and their four children below.

9ax1cl.pngnxu80k.png
    1z1wprr.pngbf5nbl.png
    j7z1on.png2uh5ysn.png[

The thing is children look different because of small details, like their lips, eyes, and nose, so at a glance they can all look very similar.
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    OhhTiffany wrote: »
    For those of you who have played around with CAS for the child stage is it just me or...<br />
    <br />
    I just feel extremely limited in my creation of children that I feel no matter what I do they all look the same. They can't have severely chubby cheeks or even be fat!? Being a fat kid growing up, it kinda hurts that I can't make them well fat. Once you zoom out (at least IMHO) not matter what I do it looks like the same little child no matter what I do. The features are just so limited to a certain size, my issue is the noses.<br />
    <br />
    To me it just seems no matter how hard I try to change the "ethnicity" of the child sim they always end up looking anglo/western with different color skin plastered on...<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Am I just being crazy lol?

Yes, you are.

They look different.
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    They are different, I'm certain face morphs in kids aren't that defined and developed until puberty kicks in. Just like IRL.
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Well, the kids bodies don't have the adjustments in CAS that the adult bodies have, so it is kinda limiting. But their faces aren't too bad. I made these boys, and I'm pretty abysmal with CAS so I think they didn't turn out too badly:

Boys.jpg
  • Options
    OhhTiffanyOhhTiffany Posts: 55 Member
    > @renzilla said:
    > I understand what you're saying, but when you mix parents with very different genetics, it shows. :) Example of the parents and their four children below.

> The thing is children look different because of small details, like their lips, eyes, and nose, so at a glance they can all look very similar.

All 3 of those children have the same nose shape as well as face shape. It looks like you took the same kid 3 times and pasted a picture of a different face on the child's head.

I just feel like I can't really do much to really make them look different. I totally understand that there features are smaller so at a glance they would be harder to pick up but at the same time @anneplays kids irl look different ^^^, I wish I could post pictures but I just feel so limited when creating children. I know I can change them but not to a degree where I truly feel they are different.

I guess maybe its because I can't make them fat, give them an actual large nose, or give them a big head. All qualities I know that kids posses.
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    All 3 of those children have the same nose shape as well as face shape. It looks like you took the same kid 3 times and pasted a picture of a different face on the child's head.

Because of genetics?
    I wish I could post pictures but I just feel so limited when creating children. I know I can change them but not to a degree where I truly feel they are different.

May I give you a hint? Create them as young adults. When you are done, age them down. They'll look pretty different.

• Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited October 2014
    Go try to make a kid in sims 3; they really do look identical. At least sims 4 kids don't look like ax murderer sociopaths.

But seriously yeah. I think the sims have had this issue for a long time.
  • Options
    > @pguida said:
    > OhhTiffany wrote: »
    >
    > All 3 of those children have the same nose shape as well as face shape. It looks like you took the same kid 3 times and pasted a picture of a different face on the child's head.
    >

> Because of genetics?

LOL I know, I guess... For example when I'm trying to create my cousins which all looked very similar as kids but at the same time different...
    I guess you just don't understand what I'm getting at. Of course you can make them "look" different but recently when I was trying to create, the Darling family from peter pan sibilings just started to mush together, or I wanted to make the little kid from up and I couldn't make him even remotely as large as I would have liked. I can't give them large chins to allude to a double chin. I had a BIG nose as a kid and my boyfriend had a head as big as the empire state. I can't create that, that's all I'm saying..

> OhhTiffany wrote: »
    >
    > I wish I could post pictures but I just feel so limited when creating children. I know I can change them but not to a degree where I truly feel they are different.
    >

> May I give you a hint? Create them as young adults. When you are done, age them down. They'll look pretty different.

Every time I do they really lose on some qualites that I love. Fat teens go to being skinny kids, ect. Thank you so much for your tips though I do appreciate it. If I'm being honest with myself the only way I think i'd be happy is if the "sliders" were unlocked I guess.

I felt more in control with toddlers from sims 3 than I do with kids now...
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    Go try to make a kid in sims 3; they really do look identical. At least sims 4 kids don't look like ax murderer sociopaths.
    Cannot unsee. :|
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,097 Member
    I was going to recommend the same thing as pguida, make a young adult and age them down. I rarely make kids, but that's what I do if I'm making a teen in Sims 3.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    > May I give you a hint? Create them as young adults. When you are done, age them down. They'll look pretty different.<br />
    <br />
    Every time I do they really lose on some qualites that I love. Fat teens go to being skinny kids, ect.

I see your point. Still, they'll regain those qualities as they age.

• Options
    I think the reason child creation may be a little limited is because those features will be amplified as they get older. So, if a nose, for instance, is too big on a kid, yet a normal-looking big, the same nose would look monstruous in a adult and not human-like.
  • Options
    pguida wrote: »
    I think the reason child creation may be a little limited is because those features will be amplified as they get older. So, if a nose, for instance, is too big on a kid, yet a normal-looking big, the same nose would look monstruous in a adult and not human-like.
    That's true. Giving a child sim a small-ish chin often makes them grow up without a chin. :|
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    mulboro wrote: »
    That's true. Giving a child sim a small-ish chin often makes them grow up without a chin. :|

Hence why I create young adults and age them down.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I've gotten in the habit of checking their later life states to make sure they don't look too odd, but for the occasional family I don't plan to age up I just go nuts.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options

I've gotten in the habit of checking their later life states to make sure they don't look too odd, but for the occasional family I don't plan to age up I just go nuts.

I live for aging.
  • Options
    AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member
    edited October 2014
    Yeah I don't know, they look different to me XD This isn't Skyrim.
    rvbRMVD.jpg
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member

I made a thread about this not long ago. It seems life stages in this game normalize your Sim's appearance.

I tried to make Jen & Kira Sim's from the dark crystal.

Its not just the OP, Sims children do look the same because they are normalizing features.

Without childhood.

2qi93d2.jpg

After childhood.

123bhp0.jpg

Its no wonder people praise the genetics system in TS4, it holds your hand so you can never fail at it.

The game already has parameters or limits on how big a nose can possibly be for example, so there is really no need for the normalization.

• Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    @vlaxitov, that's a huge difference! At that rate we'll wind up with same-face syndrome all over again. It's as if the game said, "Nope! You can't have an interesting profile. You can only have X and you will like it." I'm also glad you mentioned limits. Everyone talks about how great CAS is and I really haven't found it to be as flexible as advertised. (Could be operator failure, too.)
  • Options
    constanceconstance Posts: 1,379 Member
    No I don't think all the kids look the same. I do think that the boys are a lot cuter than the girls tho
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    constance wrote: »
    No I don't think all the kids look the same. I do think that the boys are a lot cuter than the girls tho

The first gen kids might not look the same but come 5th-6th gen they're going to be pretty normalized.

• Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    Sounds familiar to other sims games that way. And you can make kids fat? if you click on their bodies, it gives you a slider bar for them. I mean, they can't be morbidly obese, but they can be overweight.
  • Options
    @gayars I want them to be obese lol, think of the underdog stories!!
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    So, puddingface is apparently still a thing.