Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Enjoying the TS3!

Recently I found SN at a discount and had never played it so I installed it weeks ago but never got around to playing. I had time yesterday to play some and I tell you what happened to the Sims in this game? They are so much better than I remembered. They are so emotional and interactive! I hadn't played much this past year since the announcement of the TS4, so the last thing I had installed was Uni which I did play that EP a lot. And it seemed after that EP that the Sims were a lot more interactive in this game than before. I don't have all the EPs installed. Just ST, Seasons, SN, Uni, Ambs.

So, here is the story I am playing in my game and having so much fun! I moved in a couple I created months ago into the new SN town. It's beautiful. And creepy, and I love the mountains around it. He got a job as a fireman and she is a stay at home painter. Because you know, dealing with his type job is a handful. I was so happy to go back to just clicking on him and then her with ease to check on them. I had tried the TS4 but I thought it was lack luster. So, I wanted to play TS3 again and see if I prefer open world to closed loading screens.

But what amazed me is you know how I have fussed for years about the TS3 Sim just reading ALL the Time? This didn't happen this time! I was like what? It's so amazing! They moved in and the first time ever in my game, they were romantically interacting before they got in the door! Just like good ole TS2. No one grabbed a book and went to read. Nope, he went to the TV after awhile and that's not even a trait to be a couch potato.

I figured she would grab book, but nope she went to the TV too! I was like Yes! Finally they are giving up that need to read all the time.

They live in that cheapest 2 Bedroom house in that town..the only one they could afford. They are a lot of fun, and so romantic. No longer do they roll the same wishes. Nope the husband often rolls all kinds of wishes to talk to his wife, kiss his wife, woo hoo, and hug her etc. I was like 'what?' since when because never before in my games all these years I have tried to play the game, have these Sims been this interactive! Nope, they have walked around and read books and that was about it.

I was so happy! Because now I had the emotional Sim with the necessary interactions and gameplay (more than just romantic) back in my game and couldn't figure out how come this late in the game they are now so interactive. Then I noticed I had not put the game on 'Full' Free Will....LOL, all these months I had it set to Middle Free Will on The Slider....and once I had moved it to Very High, these Sims were super interactive, never grabbed a book to read but rather talk to one another, or watch the TV, or Paint or do something else. I only had to cancel out the book reading one time for this couple and ever since they have really had a great life, full of interactions, friends, and many fun wishes.

I was so happy when I took them to community lots they interacted with other Sims more than they ever had in the past! And SN is great EP, with the zombies, the ghosts, and the vamps everywhere at all the gouls' hangouts. I have a lot to discover about that EP and the Sims who live in that town, but right now, I'm trying to get them more money...just living on his salary is tough, lol, so they can have some children.

It's so great because they are so interactive, they ask for things like they used to in the TS2, not just the silly go to fall fest over and over etc. No, they have many different wishes now! Like someone improved the game?

And I have my open world (though I love rotational game play) where I can just jump back and forth to check on them and queue up stuff for them to do while I'm gone and not worry about them. And the textures are and scenery really are the best of the four. Glad I'm having fun again!
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    NaiaNaia Posts: 117 Member
    When I just started to play The Sims 3 it was boring to me,I couldn't to empathize to The Sims lives.It actually took some time until I could empathize into The Sims lives,and when I did I understood that this game is really funny,you can control the sims lives,even sims emotions got deeper than was in earlier sims games+open world which is really cool.I admit that this game without expansion packs would be pretty empty,because in base game you mainly have only rabbit holes but expansions make sims world wider without rabbit holes.So now The Sims 3 with all expansions for me got better than The Sims 2 with all Eps mainly because of open world,deeper emotions and more customization (color palette)
  • Options
    VRStevensonVRStevenson Posts: 4,396 Member
    edited September 2014
    The things that really amaze me in this game, and I don't know if it's just my imagination or what, but I notice that kids pick things up from their parents and I don't just mean traits.

I have one sim who is a Virtuoso, so obviously he's playing guitar and singing to himself all the time. He and his wife had 3 kids and none of them are Virtuoso or have any musical or artistic traits at all, but the youngest was ALWAYS wishing for a piano from the moment she aged to teen. I cancelled it a couple times thinking that it was random, but she kept on wishing for it so I got her one.
    She plays it all the time and her dad will play with her or just stand and watch. None of the other kids have wished to play an instrument.

I just thought that was neat. :)

Edit* Oh and about the book reading, I do notice certain sims love to read and they don't have to be Bookworms. Just certain ones though, there are some I swear have never read a book in their lives!
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    I love Supernatural! (I did turn off the full moon after a while, though, because I got a little tired of the zombies.) And Moonlight Falls is a great town, especially with Seasons installed. I went back to TS3 a little over a week ago, and I find my sims very lively and reactive. The neighborhood has a lot of life too, neighbors are always hanging out doing something. The park festivals are full of life. I notice that my sims don't autonomously read too much unless they're bookworms.

Glad you're enjoying the game.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    ha123ha123 Posts: 972 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    I love Supernatural! (I did turn off the full moon after a while, though, because I got a little tired of the zombies.)

I love Supernatural but I turned off the full moon too. The zombies were soooo annoying and the lighting was annoying, but I thought that Moonlight Falls was gorgeous.

• Options
    GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    Supernatural is my favorite expansion.
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    I love supernatural to I am currently playing in moonlight falls, I love this world works great with seasons and pets, sometimes I turn off the zombies to unless my sims want to meet one.
  • Options
    Panther96Panther96 Posts: 1 New Member
    You're so happy because of TS3 thats really awesome! I'm an occassional sim player myself, I come in and out of playing in phases. Even though the Sims 4 just came out and my interest is up again, I decided instead to pick up Supernatural and Seasons (already had World Adventures Late Night Ambitions and University) just because I don't feel the need to toss TS3 away when I haven't even explored its full potential yet. Sims 4, just looking from the reviews and player feedback, seems to be quite shallow and doesn't have much of potential to begin with so hey why ditch the best there is for something worse just because its "newer." The graphics in TS3 are beautiful I think and the loading times aren't that bad as long as you make sure you don't have any nasty CCs. Overall though very excited for Supernatural almost seems like it will bring the game to a whole new level with its fantasy/fictional element.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I'm really enjoying TS3 in the way I was never able to before I got started with using Mods and that started with NRaas which I've currently got 59 package files from that collection in my game and it's made it playable and allowed me to have fun playing with my towns.I've got my game loaded with Mods and CC and it's fun playing the town legacy challenge which is played like it's TS2.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I went back to TS3 also, the vanilla version has TONS more to do than TS4 base game.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    The things that really amaze me in this game, and I don't know if it's just my imagination or what, but I notice that kids pick things up from their parents and I don't just mean traits.

I have one sim who is a Virtuoso, so obviously he's playing guitar and singing to himself all the time. He and his wife had 3 kids and none of them are Virtuoso or have any musical or artistic traits at all, but the youngest was ALWAYS wishing for a piano from the moment she aged to teen. I cancelled it a couple times thinking that it was random, but she kept on wishing for it so I got her one.
    She plays it all the time and her dad will play with her or just stand and watch. None of the other kids have wished to play an instrument.

I just thought that was neat. :)

Edit* Oh and about the book reading, I do notice certain sims love to read and they don't have to be Bookworms. Just certain ones though, there are some I swear have never read a book in their lives!

That's pretty neat. :o My Sim just made Chief of the fire dept. and now his fire prevention knowledge will be past down to his daughter. I don't know how that would work, but that is what it says. I just sometimes skim over the popups but that one was interesting.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AstroX1424 wrote: »
    I went back to TS3 also, the vanilla version has TONS more to do than TS4 base game.

Yeah, but I really enjoyed my Sim fishing near the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 caravan in SN. I loved the water and the moon shinning down with all those beautiful (non pink) rocks. :p Wow, he was able to swim all the way out (about four miles IRL) to those huge rocks in the ocean. Who would not love their Sim swimming in the ocean. Yeah, I know this came later (should have been in TS3's base) but still swimming belongs in a base game.

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    AstroX1424 wrote: »

Yeah, but I really enjoyed my Sim fishing near the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 caravan in SN. I loved the water and the moon shinning down with all those beautiful (non pink) rocks. :p Wow, he was able to swim all the way out (about four miles IRL) to those huge rocks in the ocean. Who would not love their Sim swimming in the ocean. Yeah, I know this came later (should have been in TS3's base) but still swimming belongs in a base game.
    -agrees-
  • Options
    I was one who kept saying these Sims are so robotic. Not necessarily, after I turned up the freewill..I must have turned it down midway for a video series I was making last year and forgot to change the settings back..lol. They have many facial expressions and emotions. It is sometimes funny. Yes, they are fleeting, but they are there.

I started noticing silly things. Like when he was off two days and had to go back and maintain the fire engine, it was way down like at 48 percent, maybe he was off three days for one of the holidays, soon as he fixed it, he got mad I mean immediately, (he's a hot head) and went to tell off the guys that work there (who do nothing all day). That was funny!

See that is sandbox to me. I didn't want to be told (like in TS4) he was mad because of (insert reason on screen)....No, I wanted to use my imagination and 'believe' he was so tired of coming in and having to repair the fire alarms and the truck that it was the last straw. He couldn't even take a holiday without the place going downhill. Because they never do any work. :p

Another thing that is hilarious is she is a coward, and before it didn't seem like a big deal in the game until I played the SN EP. She faints any time there is a vamp, werewolf, or ghost around. It's hilarious. So, I made him promise to protect her, right? So, they were at a community lot and this was the first time she saw a ghost she fainted, he was there but immediately went to where she was...that was so cute...he moved closer to her. See that is imagination, and sandbox. It allows the player to imagine he moved to where she was because she had fainted. He had to promise to protect her more often now, so she won't pass out so often since that town is full of creatures.

I'm not saying I love the moodlet system, I don't, but this game came a long way in the last year or so, after the Uni EP because Sims do interact more and seem to have more facial expressions and regular wants like the TS2.

Ha, I finally learned how to add roof sections without those horrible little jutting out sharp places where they connect. :s I took some of them off to see how they did it, and finally figured out..(after five years in this game) if I lower this pitch and that one over there or raise this one over here, then it all lines up perfectly and I can mix and match roof types on one house. I could do this in TS2 but never got the hang of it in TS3. Finally! duh...I'm slow..
  • Options
    I love supernatural to I am currently playing in moonlight falls, I love this world works great with seasons and pets, sometimes I turn off the zombies to unless my sims want to meet one.

Hey, why are all those vacant parks in SN? for horses or something? I don't have Pets, and was just wondering why there are so many empty parks in the world?
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    See TS3 isn't as bad as everyone thinks. I actually enjoy it quite a lot.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    bobyo2001 wrote: »

Yes, I have been it's worst nightmare, but actually I did enjoy the Ambs. careers somewhat but playing them through once is enough for me. I did enjoy the Showtime EP, for awhile until I played through the careers...that is where I think me and EA part company is the rpg factors in these later games. Then I really did love the Uni EP not because of the college courses, but because they became so interactive in that EP. It was fun to buy comic books, and eat out, I bet I put that coffee house kiosk thing in a lot of community lots since I don't have WA and don't have the 'register' etc. To me TS3 is overwhelming is one of my problems because it does have so much stuff. DLC, free DLC , Simpoint DLC, and the EPs came out so fast you couldn't take your time to figure out what all there is to do in them. That was always one of my problems with this game, too much, too soon! :D
  • Options

Yes, I have been it's worst nightmare, but actually I did enjoy the Ambs. careers somewhat but playing them through once is enough for me. I did enjoy the Showtime EP, for awhile until I played through the careers...that is where I think me and EA part company is the rpg factors in these later games. Then I really did love the Uni EP not because of the college courses, but because they became so interactive in that EP. It was fun to buy comic books, and eat out, I bet I put that coffee house kiosk thing in a lot of community lots since I don't have WA and don't have the 'register' etc. To me TS3 is overwhelming is one of my problems because it does have so much stuff. DLC, free DLC , Simpoint DLC, and the EPs came out so fast you couldn't take your time to figure out what all there is to do in them. That was always one of my problems with this game, too much, too soon! :D

That's why I don't have store or custom content.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    I know, I don't have much just bought Simpoints a few times, and I didn't buy sets, I spent it all on small items here and there. I nickeled and dimed myself. :p Like this for 25, that for 40 etc. I just can't hardly give $5.00 for DLC for an item but well, my Holmes in TS3 had to have that violin and I think that was the most expensive one object item I actually paid 500 Simpoints to get. I was so mad at myself but I can't play Holmes without a violin. I have always put him in my hoods/worlds since TS1 and his adorable head was in the TS1 CAS. I had to laugh at myself back then because I was going to make some characters when I got the TS1. So, I hadn't decided what head in TS1 he would have, so I just typed in Holmes and the Sherlock head popped up in the CAS and I was like "what?!" I was hooked ever since. :D
  • Options
    SimurgSimurg Posts: 361 Member
    edited September 2014
    Bashing TS4's lacking features through this article is pretty smart. I watched several LP's of TS4 but it's still not makes me excited. I watch Lifesimmer's LP's because she is crazy and has a great commentary imo, but even her those traits can't make me enjoy TS4. Instead, I watch her Generations LP.

I admit, CAS is perfect but game needs some time and EPs to become enjoyable for me. I'll try it later. I'm so happy that others are enjoying it.

As for enjoying TS3, I created a new game and made the most beautiful house I've ever created. My sim went to uni, got that degree and started working. I took him to jog early in the morning on his day offs at shoreline of Sunset Valley. And sometimes I make him took his dog for a walk around the town. I'm still enjoying it and I haven't tried everything that game offers. For example I still haven't tried genies.

I planning to try some challenges as well. TS3 won't get old for me I guess.

Edit: Forgot to add. I had 7 sims other than my sim in a coffee house. Community lots are not that deserted in my game. Somebody said that, number of other sims in c. lots depends on your system and I've just added 2 gb of ram to my pc so maybe it's the reason.

This post is not to mock/insult TS4 or simmers who enjoys it.
    5a46jk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Simurg wrote: »
    Bashing TS4's lacking features through this article is pretty smart. I watched several LP's of TS4 but it's still not makes me excited. I watch Lifesimmer's LP's because she is crazy and has a great commentary imo, but even her those traits can't make me enjoy TS4. Instead, I watch her Generations LP.

I admit, CAS is perfect but game needs some time and EPs to become enjoyable for me. I'll try it later. I'm so happy that others are enjoying it.

As for enjoying TS3, I created a new game and made the most beautiful house I've ever created. My sim went to uni, got that degree and started working. I took him to jog early in the morning on his day offs at shoreline of Sunset Valley. And sometimes I make him took his dog for a walk around the town. I'm still enjoying it and I haven't tried everything that game offers. For example I still haven't tried genies.

Where am I bashin the TS4? I did point out some differences in how the TS4 play styles don't suit my play styles as far as what I think is sandbox. It's true I think TS4 stepped even farther away from that concept even more so than the TS3. And TS3 is full of rpg goals, too. But for the most part you can ignore them and turn off just about everything in it and just play.

ETA: I agree, I have four or five EPs and I haven't even scratched the surface, I was excited for a new The Sims game but I really need to play what I have and let those who need something new because it's new, play the TS4 and just play what I have and stop wasting my money...because I haven't tried a third of what is in TS3. And after ten years of playing the TS2 I still discover new stuff every time I play it, if I step outside my comfort zone. :D
  • Options
    SimurgSimurg Posts: 361 Member
    Simurg wrote: »

Where am I bashin the TS4? I did point out some differences in how the TS4 play styles don't suit my play styles as far as what I think is sandbox. It's true I think TS4 stepped even farther away from that concept even more so than the TS3. And TS3 is full of rpg goals, too. But for the most part you can ignore them and turn off just about everything in it and just play.

ETA: I agree, I have four or five EPs and I haven't even scratched the surface, I was excited for a new The Sims game but I really need to play what I have and let those who need something new because it's new, play the TS4 and just play what I have and stop wasting my money...because I haven't tried a third of what is in TS3. And after ten years of playing the TS2 I still discover new stuff every time I play it, if I step outside my comfort zone. :D

Sorry I meant to say "pointing out differences". But I understand the aim of your thread and I agree with you.
    5a46jk.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, I take spurts and go back to TS2 when I really want to build some different type lots like jungles and caves etc. That doesn't seem to fit in the TS3 worlds so much but can work in my custom hoods in TS2. I actually played virtual villagers in my TS2 one time. :p I made huge lots with mountains and jungles and caves and all sorts of weird land structures, like volcanoes and placed several couples to populate all the lots which I imagined were little islands each new generation would have to travel to start a new life with their own tribes. It was hilarious since I didn't let them have much electricity. That didn't come until many generations later, after they had traveled to so many islands and so many generations and learned to use fire, and build more than a lean to, and invented the wheel.. :wink: In TS3 I do play more cookie cutter Sims and I honestly do like playing the families in this game if I can get the kids to stop obsessing about homework. Because even I like the open world though I am a rotational player.
  • Options
    xVioletSimmerxxVioletSimmerx Posts: 78 Member
    sims 3 sims arent the lifeless robots everyone claims. they're actually pretty good.
  • Options
    SkySky Posts: 62 Member

The real question is will we say this about TS4 in a few years' time? I'm not so sure about that unless they make some big changes and release some amazing EPs.
  • Options
    Sky wrote: »

The real question is will we say this about TS4 in a few years' time? I'm not so sure about that unless they make some big changes and release some amazing EPs.

I'm positive I'm going to stick with TS3 for a loooong time. TS4 doesn't look promising at all.
    oh3cjs.jpg