Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long does it take you to play a save?

crzy_gal_101crzy_gal_101 Posts: 1,856 Member
For me it takes about 3-5 minutes to get to the main menu and about 6 to 10 minutes to load a save
Official Katy Perry Sim: http://goo.gl/Vxo3Be

Comments

• Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited September 2014
    I get very similar times as those. I do have a fairly old Windows XP computer, Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570 graphics, so I don't expect great results from it.
    That is with 7 EPs, a fair amount of store and custom content and quite a few mods.
    It's got to the point that my game is struggling to load large worlds, with Isla paradiso being a no go, and I normally play smaller custom ones, so I have started to look into streamlining things a bit.
    I have a utility program called Sim Game Selector that allows you to turn on and off your EPs and SPs without having to uninstall them and I tried running the game with just IP and no mods installed and was stunned to find that Isla Paradiso loaded in just 2.5 minutes and ran smoothly, that is apart from the routing problems that exist in that world, which I could fix by using Ella Charmed fixes.

(Upgrading is just not an option for me unfortunately as I just cannot afford to do so.)
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    It takes me well under a minute to get to the main menu and my legacies take under a minute to load so it takes about a minute to get from opening my launcher to being in the loaded game.I have every EP and SP except for Ambitions,Showtime,Into The Future,HLS,Master Suite Stuff,70's80's And 90's Stuff and Movie Stuff.I also have loads of CC and Mods and it rarely takes more than a minute to load from the launcher.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I get very similar times as those. I do have a fairly old Windows XP computer, Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570 graphics, so I don't expect great results from it.
    Is your Win XP 32-bit or 64-bit?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    TadOlson wrote: »
    It takes me well under a minute to get to the main menu and my legacies take under a minute to load so it takes about a minute to get from opening my launcher to being in the loaded game.I have every EP and SP except for Ambitions,Showtime,Into The Future,HLS,Master Suite Stuff,70's80's And 90's Stuff and Movie Stuff.I also have loads of CC and Mods and it rarely takes more than a minute to load from the launcher.
    @TadOlson I'm so jealous, Ill show you my specs: Intel Celeron Processor N2830 (up to 2.40 ghz) (i tend to get a constant rate of 2.39 to 2.40 ghz), Intel integrated hd graphics, 4 gb ddr3 l memory 500gb hdd, once I can finally play the game runs from 20 to 30 fps.
    I have 64 bit windows 8.1
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    Is your Win XP 32-bit or 64-bit?

32-bit
  • Options
    I wish everybody had loading times like mine.I've got no idea why unless it's because my computer is overpowered for Sims 3.
  • Options
    Ill show you my specs: Intel Celeron Processor N2830 (up to 2.40 ghz) (i tend to get a constant rate of 2.39 to 2.40 ghz), Intel integrated hd graphics, 4 gb ddr3 l memory 500gb hdd, once I can finally play the game runs from 20 to 30 fps.

I'm impressed! I didn't think the N2830 would have enough power to run the game seeing what the specifications were, it's described very much as an entry level system. Someone on the technical forum is having trouble running the game with a very similar machine. maybe you could help them out?
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/787542/problems-playing-sims-3-on-new-laptop#latest
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    32-bit
    You may well already know this, but if you can afford it and if your processor can handle it (Core 2 duos would need to be checked out first -- some can but some can't), you might find quite a benefit to moving up to a 64-bit OS and adding more RAM. The game will never be able to use more than 4 GB -- practically speaking, 3.7 GB-- but with more RAM to work with overall the OS and other processes running in the background will take much less of a toll and leave more for TS3 to use.

Or it may be that you feel that it's not worth it and are happy that your system continues to function as well as it does, which is perfectly understandable as well.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    just timed it and it's 3 minutes 40 seconds

56 seconds on main loading screen
    2.7 minutes to load the save file

don't have all the expansions (i have world adventures, ambitions, late night, pets and seasons) probably over 2gb of custom content and store content

specs i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz, 8gb ram, amd r9 290 4gb graphics card, windows 8.1 64 bit
  • Options
    Zango11Zango11 Posts: 133 Member
    I have Windows 8 and only have the base game downloaded (I know I'm missing so much but I hate having to update the game in order to download them which for me takes about 7 hours but that's a different story) so it takes about 7-10 minutes to load altogether :)
  • Options

Ill show you my specs: Intel Celeron Processor N2830 (up to 2.40 ghz) (i tend to get a constant rate of 2.39 to 2.40 ghz), Intel integrated hd graphics, 4 gb ddr3 l memory 500gb hdd, once I can finally play the game runs from 20 to 30 fps.

I'm impressed! I didn't think the N2830 would have enough power to run the game seeing what the specifications were, it's described very much as an entry level system. Someone on the technical forum is having trouble running the game with a very similar machine. maybe you could help them out?
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/787542/problems-playing-sims-3-on-new-laptop#latest
    @sirguylittle I also play the game with sim detail to high, texture detail to medium, high detail lots 2, draw distance low, tree detail low, lighting low, visual effects low, edge smoothing low reflections mirrors only, object hiding and advanced rendering is enabled, im sure the game would run faster with lower settings, but i like to have detail in the objects and sims. In the sims 2 i have all settings to max.

• Options
    igazor wrote: »
    32-bit
    You may well already know this, but if you can afford it and if your processor can handle it (Core 2 duos would need to be checked out first -- some can but some can't), you might find quite a benefit to moving up to a 64-bit OS and adding more RAM. The game will never be able to use more than 4 GB -- practically speaking, 3.7 GB-- but with more RAM to work with overall the OS and other processes running in the background will take much less of a toll and leave more for TS3 to use.

Or it may be that you feel that it's not worth it and are happy that your system continues to function as well as it does, which is perfectly understandable as well.

Aside from the cost factor, that looks like a no go unfortunately. I've never really thought about it, just assumed the CPU was 32-bit but it appears that it is 64-bit. The motherboard however can only support 4GB RAM and I have just tried running the Windows 8 upgrade assistant and it said the platform is not supported.
  • Options
    I also play the game with sim detail to high, texture detail to medium, high detail lots 2, draw distance low, tree detail low, lighting low, visual effects low, edge smoothing low reflections mirrors only, object hiding and advanced rendering is enabled, im sure the game would run faster with lower settings, but i like to have detail in the objects and sims. In the sims 2 i have all settings to max.

I think I have my settings a little higher than that, I too like lots of detail :) My graphics card can handle it but the CPU struggles to keep up. I might try your settings to see what effect they have on the game.
  • Options
    CalvinBruce_ukCalvinBruce_uk Posts: 576 Member
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I wish everybody had loading times like mine.I've got no idea why unless it's because my computer is overpowered for Sims 3.

Don't you play empty world's though?

• Options
    Aside from the cost factor, that looks like a no go unfortunately. I've never really thought about it, just assumed the CPU was 32-bit but it appears that it is 64-bit. The motherboard however can only support 4GB RAM and I have just tried running the Windows 8 upgrade assistant and it said the platform is not supported.

Ah well, just a thought. You wouldn't be able to cross-upgrade from XP 32 to Win 8 64 anyway. I was more thinking along the lines of 64-bit XP, although of course Win 7 would be better. In any event, a total reformat and install from fresh would be in order, which can be about as much fun as a root canal. And without being able to up the RAM, the benefit just wouldn't be there.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I mostly play empty custom worlds and even EA worlds take just a few minutes to load from launcher to game.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    And since I am sure you all really dying to know... :)

Late 2011 i5 quad, 2.70 GHz, 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M -- actually it's an iMac running Win 7 via bootcamp. All EPs except the final two, tons of CC, around 1/3 of the store, and just about enough mods to choke a moose.

Startup time is minimal.
    Time to load up a new game or one that has only been running for a few sim days = 1-2 minutes.
    Time to load up my monster 3-year old multi-generational legacy game encompassing 17 saved interconnected worlds = 11-12 minutes.
    Annoying sometimes, but still very workable.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @sirguylittle how long does it take you to save? It seems to take forever for me, and when i use buydebug and try to save the game endlessly saves and never stops.
  • Options
    @sirguylittle how long does it take you to save? It seems to take forever for me, and when i use buydebug and try to save the game endlessly saves and never stops.

In Riverview with a fairly new game it takes between 1-2 minutes. I haven't played anything like a legacy and am always starting over trying different things out. I save every night (sim days). I used to then continue playing but I had my first Error 12 recently and now save, then return to the menu and reload. I always use Save As.. never save and exit. I have not had a problem with buydebug, but have found that if I spend a lot of time in build mode, then continue to play, that it sometimes crashes on me. So if I use build mode, I will normally save as, exit to menu and then reload.
    I also use NRaas Overwatch and Error Trap which can help with fixing a lot of things.
    That's why I like playing small worlds, they load quickly, save quickly and don't usually crash when using build mode.
  • Options
    @sirguylittle I use save as too and It always saves successfully. I think it takes long to save for me is because i dont save often. Can you tell me what ea/maxis worlds are small worlds?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @sirguylittle I use save as too and It always saves successfully. I think it takes long to save for me is because i dont save often. Can you tell me what ea/maxis worlds are small worlds?

None of the offical worlds are small, whether from an EP or store bought, they are all large. You need to explore custom worlds if you want smaller ones. You need to choose carefully as there is a lot of rubbish on the Exchange, but there are some very nice worlds there also, as well as on sites like Mod The Sims.
    I would suggest looking at the Create A World forum to see what's available and would recommend Rflong7's worlds for a start.

I also found a nice little vacation world called Suvadiva Resort. You can play it like a normal world, but it also works well with NRaas Traveler as a vacation destination, so you can send your sims there for holiday and relaxation. You need IP for it as it has resorts, houseboats and diving lots on it.
    Note that it does not have much in the way of rabbit holes for business, just a grocery and bistro as it is meant for holiday purposes.
  • Options
    chorvageechorvagee Posts: 544 Member
    The timing is almost the same for me with 6 expansion packs and loads of CCs. I have to download an empty world just to edit some of my sims faster before introducing them to other neighborhood.
  • Options
    @chorvagee What are your specs, I'd love to see them.
  • Options
    FairyLights1FairyLights1 Posts: 759 Member
    I've never timed it, but probably 2 to 3 mins if I'm loading a game in one of EA's worlds. (At least on my old computer it was about that, my newer one is faster).

If it's one of my own custom worlds it takes no time at all, that's what I love about my dinky towns.

I never like to load too many sims in one world, my max for sim families in one world is probably 8 to 10. An over-crowded ship is never a good idea.
  • Options
    @FairyLights1 Do you have your worlds available to download, I'd love to see them!