Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Oh, @Cassee I just saw a thread on that over in the bugs forum recently... here it is. Sounds like it may have nothing to do with your stove placement and may be a relatively new bug.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    Great stuff being reported here, I should really make a list when I run into stuff because some of these I've encountered before but forgot to submit.
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    [*] Be careful with gate placement! If you hover a gate anywhere near fencing, the fencing disappears or gets graphically corrupted and cannot be replaced. This condition will stick with a lot even if you exit to the menu and reload your save. The only way to clear the issue is to restart the game.

I ran into this one while building Aïcha, and I think this doesn't happen when you try to place the gate with MOO off, though I admit I didn't test it further. All I know is that I was able to place the gate without problems with MOO off. (though obviously MOO is needed when you're trying to place a gate bigger than the fence)

As for the tête-a-tête window gap, I actually thought it had something to do with my anti-alias settings or my graphics card :#

The cooking problem Cassee mentioned is something I also ran into when playtesting Hip to be Square. Only happened once, but maybe some of the routing in general is borked? It's probably unrelated, but in Hip, I originally had the kitchen sink on one of the counters at the wall. The family insisted on washing their dishes in one of the sinks upstairs, completely skipping both the kitchen sink and the sink in the ground floor bathroom. No routing issues, because they could wash their hands and brush their teeth in both sinks, but the 'smarter' sims think it's more fun to waste 30 minutes by going upstairs to wash their plates. I had to move the sink to one of the counter islands to have them use it.
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • Options
    Yes, you're right @Cerrydd. I should have clarified that it's with MOO on. And I probably should take it out of the index and put it over on the Testing MOO list instead.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    Oh, @Cassee I just saw a thread on that over in the bugs forum recently... here it is. Sounds like it may have nothing to do with your stove placement and may be a relatively new bug.

Oh wonderful...leave it to me to enjoy the little pests EA/Origin decides to include with their games...Thanks, Ms Bry!
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm in the process of reviewing the 6/11/15 patch for issues and requests reported in our index. Have to take a break, but here's what I've found so far:
    • Regarding the bug we've reported: creating underground structure (basement/fountain/pool) on certain lots introduces a terrain slope and causes painted tiles on the slope to revert back to ground cover; they cannot be altered afterward (see pgs. 12-13). This bug still exists, and after reviewing Newcrest, Comfy Cubby has the issue in the lower right portion of the lot. All other Newcrest lots were okay.
    • 2/20/15 Enable columns to scale to the different wall height settings (requested by RyeCris16) <-- they now do!
    • We appear to have a new foundation style, In the Air. Can anyone confirm when exactly it was added? I didn't notice it prior to today's patch.
    • 4/29/15 Please let us apply a foundation style to exposed foundation (i.e when a basement is added). <-- can now do this!

More to come later!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Placing windows (Let There Be (More) Light and Look At This Stuff) on a 45 degree diagonal wall causes some clipping into the other wall:

tumblr_npso7aKOUu1s873l7o1_1280.png
    tumblr_npso7aKOUu1s873l7o2_1280.png

Placing a half gabled roof against a wall and then raising the roof, it overrides the wallpaint of the wall:

tumblr_npso7aKOUu1s873l7o3_1280.png

As a request: Not sure how feasible it is, but I'd like to see corner/quarter roof pieces, like on the top of this pier-house-thingy:

tumblr_npso7aKOUu1s873l7o4_r1_1280.jpg

edit: oh, btw, do the Newcrest lots have names? Mine don't, and I'm wondering if that's intended or if my game is messed up.
    Post edited by Cerrydd on
  • Options
    Chris2fer03Chris2fer03 Posts: 650 Member
    Hi Bry, thanks for running such a great builder thread, so many updates and testing going on. I wanted to comment on the air foundation, I noticed this while playing around with building a "bridge" over two ponds this past weekend. Maybe Sunday evening? Saw it available and I assumed it was a debug item since I had activated the debug list immediatley. Hope this helps!
    Gallery ID: chris2fer03
    ~Showcase Thread~ ~Photobucket~
    ophze_zps7vbzpsi9.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    My findings from the 6/11/15 patch are now complete:

Requests completed:
    • 2/20/15 Enable columns to scale to the different wall height settings (requested by RyeCris16) <-- they now do!
    • 4/29/15 Please let us apply a foundation style to exposed foundation (i.e when a basement is added). <-- we can now do this!

Bugs/Glitches Fixed:
    • Cabinets placed on diagonal walls will not snap together; have to be placed next to each other via ALT (see pg. 6). AHQ report. <-- fixed
    • 6/9/15 Graphics Glitch - Tête–à–Tête window has gap which lets wall show through at certain distances (see pg. 22)

Additional Bugs/Glitches:
    • Regarding the bug we've already reported: "Creating underground structure (basement/fountain/pool) on certain lots introduces a terrain slope and causes painted tiles on the slope to revert back to ground cover; they cannot be altered afterward (see pgs. 12-13)." - this bug still exists, and after reviewing Newcrest, Comfy Cubby has the issue in the lower right portion of the lot. All other Newcrest lots were okay.
    • Regarding the bug we've already reported: "Sims cannot route onto low level foundation in certain areas on certain lots (see pg. 18 for full list of problem lots/areas)." - this bug still exists, and after reviewing Newcrest, the majority of the lots have the issue. I will provide the details in a follow up post.

Just a couple of additional notes:
    1. People have had success getting around the slope/tiles issue by building a basement across the entire lot and then deleting it. I thought perhaps that method would be a quick fix for the foundation routing issue as well, but unfortunately, it's not.
    2. Almost forgot to mention that we have a new "Custom Room Tool" added with the patch that is pretty nifty. We didn't ask for it, but we probably should have! It allows you to draw out a room from point to point, enabling some pretty complex shapes to get created much more easily (and still hold their identity as a room). The tool was added not only for rooms, but also for basements, pools, and fountains. Thanks to @SimGuruHouts and his team! :)
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
  • Options
    6/11/15 Bug - Sims cannot route onto low level foundation in certain areas on certain lots in Newcrest. Here are the details:
    • Optimist's Outlook - entire lot
    • Hillside Highlands - entire lot
    • Civic Cliffs - upper 3/4 of lot
      civiccliffs_zpsmvvyk90z.jpg
    • Cookout Lookout - all but lower right
      cookoutlookout_zpsymjgjpje.jpg
    • Sandy Run - entire lot
    • Tranquil Crescent - most of lot - bottom left, bottom right, and top right route
      tranquilcrescent_zpsmfoy4ha6.jpg
    • Asphalt Abodes - all but right 3/4 upper
      asphaltabode_zpsaoyny7c4.jpg
    • Avarice Acres - upper 3/4 of lot
      avariceacres_zpsgio4wxyv.jpg
    • Rippling Flats - entire lot
    • Twin Oracle Point - entire lot
    • Fern Park - lower half of lot plus a bit above on right
      fernpark_zps0ruz8t0u.jpg
    • Beech Byway - lot is okay
    • Oak Alcove - entire lot
    • Comfy Cubby - right and upper middle
      comfycubby_zpsmnke1tkp.jpg
    • Midtown Meadows - all of lot except a couple of small areas - top near left and bottom right
      midtownmeadows_zpsyr9gbhal.jpg

• Options
    @Cerrydd Looks like the graphics glitch with windows is true of any window that is big enough to intersect a diagonal wall; will add to the list. I'm not sure if the roof wall/room wall paint conflict is a bug or feature - will ask. I think that is a hexagonal roof, which we have requested. Yes, the Newcrest lots should have names; they do in my game.

@Chris2fer03 You're very welcome! :) Thanks for the info about the foundation; I think I did have bb.showhiddenobjects on while I was testing and noticed it. How odd that they would have a debug foundation style... :o
  • Options
    TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited June 2015
    Something that bothered me with the GTW EP was 'locked' Lot/theme specific objects. I can't be too sure if I was able to access all of other content at FutureSim Labs (the other profession objects) as I wasn't particularly concerned at the time. Actually, there's another bother, not being able to edit those Lots without sending Sims there physically. You can't just go take a look like other lots.

I suppose there could be reasons for that and it's not difficult to reserve a save with sims at each place but at first glance I wondered, "Where's all of the stuff?". :p Not a bug, just a gripe really...lol!

I also discovered a black anomaly on the ceiling of the first basement level of my build after I decided to plop a pool down there. It clears if you delete the pool space and Undo but it returns on going back into the game (it even seems to have 'saved' the original location of the octagon pool tool as it isn't quite uniform near the back):
    06-11-15_5-08%C2%A0PM.png

Edited for too many 'reallys' and also, I did notice that foundation...it looks awful when you place it down. :D At first I thought it was neat, but it doesn't seem to be invisible as it suggests.
  • Options
    Yes, it's the same thing with some of the objects designated for retail lots; you can only see them if the lot is flagged as retail, so it's an extra step if you want access to them on a non-retail build. And the extra step to edit those lots sounds annoying too @TheGreenLion. I haven't experimented with it myself because I haven't had any desire to modify/build one of the new career lots, and I haven't actually played the game other than to test issues and play test. Once you've got your career sim able to go to the lot, do you actually get to see the lot somewhere in one of the worlds? Or is it just a load screen, and you're on the lot? Then when you leave, poof?

I'm not able to see the picture you posted. Can you give me the specific steps to recreate the issue?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @BryonyRae Argh, apparently OneDrive has done something different with it's setup again. *shakes fist* Maybe just try a direct link until I can figure it out. https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=F97A30747314A6AD&id=f97a30747314a6ad%213279&v=3 (thanks forum filter, for breaking that link) I imagine all that is needed to reproduce it is make a 1st Basement level and place a pool in the floor so it effectively resides on the 2nd Basement level. I tried fencing it to create it's own room. In a weird way....ceilings can be colored after all. :p

Anywho, your last guess was correct. Your Sim just poofs to and from the profession Lot and you don't see it anywhere on the Manage Worlds screen. Like a hidden Lot, but with the added annoyance of not being able to go there if it isn't 'work time'. Another fun fact, two Sims working in the same place don't actually end up at the same Lot (by that I mean they are sent to two 'instances' of the same place)...so you never see the other Sim. It's very strange.

I found I needed at least two Sims (one at work and one at home) to properly test how things work out on a regular Lot. Unlike Debug items, you can't make copies of those items on a regular Lot either. Color me confused, lol. :/
    Post edited by TheGreenLion on
  • Options
    gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    I don't know if it is just my game or not, but all of Outdoor retreat bushes and flowers are no longer in the build mode library. The trees are still there. I have exited the game and gone back in and they are still missing. I am headed for bed, maybe when I start my cpu tomorrow, everything will be there. Until then could someone else please check.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    @BryonyRae could the routing issues on comfy cubby cause other problems?

I wasn't thinking about it and started a build on the lot and I've run into a couple of issues.

1st problem encountered.
    b4c41525539b5511e0491987111e817d.jpg
    When placing flooring to create the dock the flooring wouldn't place on one small stretch of ground leaving a 2x1 gap between the floor next to the sidewalk and the rest of the dock. To place the floor tiles I placed a small flat room, the L shaped one, I was then able to add the flooring I wanted for the dock. As you can see in the pic, the grey L on the ground, the room base glitches and shows at certain camera angles.

2nd problem encountered.
    36183b318a353418e609a87a64fb6e66.jpg
    After I placed the roof it vanishes any time I try to change the pattern. Point of fact after I initially placed it the only time it is visible is if I'm holding it as if to move it.

This is not a moo or tce issue as I don't use them when building until the very end if I'm trying for a certain look that can only be accomplished through moo or by unlocking all the hidden objects. Even then my use of moo is limited.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    @Cerrydd Looks like the graphics glitch with windows is true of any window that is big enough to intersect a diagonal wall; will add to the list. I'm not sure if the roof wall/room wall paint conflict is a bug or feature - will ask. I think that is a hexagonal roof, which we have requested. Yes, the Newcrest lots should have names; they do in my game.

Just as I feared... already noticed the new build tools don't have descriptions in my game either. Looks like I can reinstall the game for a third time *sigh* :s
  • Options
    rochelimitrochelimit Posts: 777 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm not sure what your question is, @rochelimit. Windows are not interactive objects (sims don't use them), and they have always been shift-able. With bb.moveobjects on, mirrors can now be shifted up on a wall; they can also be height adjusted either up or down when placed away from a wall, so there has been some progress since the post you're quoting. Mods can definitely bridge a lot of gaps in a Sims game, but many of us don't use them, and this thread is focused on changes that we want and/or need the developers to make to the game itself.

Sorry BryonyRae what I meant if mirror. There are many shiftable mirror available in fans site, up or down, on the wall, as easy as moving a pictures. Why can't a billionaire gaming industry like EA do something like this. DO SOMETHING EA!
  • Options
    @TheGreenLion I still couldn't see your picture, but I was able to duplicate the issue in game. I tried placing a variety of lights to see if they would have any effect, but none of them did:
    poolshadow1_zpsswgg8nnb.jpg

Something I noticed in my game that I wonder if you also experienced is the ragged black graphics along the water's edge?
    pooledgeragged_zps8ck9jfuq.jpg

This glitch gets weirder if you keep playing with it. I wanted to see what would happen if I moved that back wall a distance away from the pool:
    poolshadow2_zpszqne1wlo.jpg

Now the ceiling above the pool is lighter and the shadow falls to either side. It's easier to see without the ceiling lamps:
    poolshadow3_zpspccfxzus.jpg

However, what I discovered is that regardless of what you do that gets it to change a bit while you're building, once you go out to the neighborhood and come back into the lot, it will be a solid black shadow over the pool again. I will certainly add this to our index!

With regard to career lots, I asked about the sim poofing because I suspected that the game is just building an instance of the career lot when your sim goes to work; the lot doesn't actually exist other than when your sim is in it. I assume, however, that once you've altered the lot, it stays altered, which means that the specifications for it are definitely saved and referenced somewhere, but it's probably just a database that the game pulls it from on the fly. That would mean that it would be pretty difficult for them to change programmatically.
  • Options
    @gmcrozier You are not alone; they aren't in the catalogue unless you turn bb.showhiddenobjects on. I have tweeted @SimGuruHouts, so I hope they'll address this one quickly.
  • Options
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn I was not able to duplicate your issue, although I built a similar structure to yours with walkway and two story building with the same roof. However, Comfy Cubby not only has the foundation routing issue but also has the slope/tile issue, which would definitely explain why you had trouble with floor tiles in that area (lower right is where it has the problem). The roof acted fine for me. Perhaps someone else following this thread could also give it a try. And when/if you upload the lot to the Gallery, if you'll provide the link, I will also try to work with it in game.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yup, OneDrive no longer works for me. Boo! The reproduction suits the purpose though, it's precisely what I was attempting to show (although didn't notice the dark pool edges, but it's fenced so perhaps that makes a difference):

More edit: However...the fence is completely dark near the lights on the outside.

06-11-15_5-08nbspPM_zps6k1y5tzx.png
  • Options
    Sorry @Cerrydd but yeah, I think that definitely calls for a clearing of your cache and a repair, if not a reinstall...

@rochelimit So the CC mirrors can be placed anywhere on a wall, shifting up or down? Do they actually still function as mirrors? I will have to hunt one down if that's the case, just to see it in action. I do understand and sympathize with your perspective; it's tough to see all this great stuff being done with mods and CC while it feels like we're waiting forever for stuff on our request list to get done or the bugs/glitches to get fixed. However, I think that EA is being hit pretty hard by a large variety of requests, probably more for TS4 than for any prior game because people seem to be so dissatisfied for a great many reasons. I'm sure they've got lists a mile long, and the build stuff is probably not that high of a priority compared to all the live mode stuff. I do hope that in time, we'll able to check most of it off, but we are going to have our patience tested.
  • Options
    Oh, yikes! I can see why you're not happy about that @TheGreenLion. Such a brilliant set up you've got there, and then...that shadow. :/ Can you look a little closer at those pool edges? Maybe temporarily put a wall along one side just to see? I don't want to report it if nobody else sees it, as it could just be my graphics card.
  • Options
    rochelimitrochelimit Posts: 777 Member
    Sorry @Cerrydd but yeah, I think that definitely calls for a clearing of your cache and a repair, if not a reinstall...

@rochelimit So the CC mirrors can be placed anywhere on a wall, shifting up or down? Do they actually still function as mirrors? I will have to hunt one down if that's the case, just to see it in action. I do understand and sympathize with your perspective; it's tough to see all this great stuff being done with mods and CC while it feels like we're waiting forever for stuff on our request list to get done or the bugs/glitches to get fixed. However, I think that EA is being hit pretty hard by a large variety of requests, probably more for TS4 than for any prior game because people seem to be so dissatisfied for a great many reasons. I'm sure they've got lists a mile long, and the build stuff is probably not that high of a priority compared to all the live mode stuff. I do hope that in time, we'll able to check most of it off, but we are going to have our patience tested.

EA better work with those. By the way please check this link for the shiftable (Sims2) mirrors http://classic.modthesims.info/member.php?u=3044163. Just click the buy mode and test it in your game, they work as easily and as perfectly in the game.

BTW, I would appreciate if you could support this idea for Toddlers and Tweens BryonyRae & thanks for actively replying comments
  • Options
    So I gave it a shot and walled off a section but I didn't see black edging. What is consistent though is that bright blue jagged edge on the water in your picture and the brown in mine change with the time of day. At Afternoon it's brown (in Oasis Springs lighting), and all other times various blue colors.

I think the black edging of yours is supposed to be reflection as well, in any case the basement should not be receiving outdoor light effects.

Another note is that where I place a tile of wall, light reflects off of it and not the fence. However a wall light *will* reflect on the fence.

06-12-15_11-40nbspAM_zpsxwhg1jv3.png