Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computer shuts down when playing Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    LordMaru4ULordMaru4U Posts: 4 New Member
    my second screen is a Cintiq> @rosemow said:
    > LordMaru4U wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow
    >
    > I just tried everything you suggested and it still keeps on crashing.
    >
    > here is my info:
    >
    > pastebin.com/L4aPcjeM
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > pastebin.com/L4aPcjeM
    >
    > Hello
    > Your computer should handle the game well.
    > I am wondering if the issue is caused by you having dual graphics cards or using dual screens . Are you using dual screens? One resolution is different to the other resolution. Try just using one screen, and see if the issues remain. If the issues are not occurring, then add the second screen, using the same resolution.

I'm still in the same situation. any other solution?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    LordMaru4U wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow
    >
    >
    > here is my info:
    >
    > pastebin.com/L4aPcjeM
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > pastebin.com/L4aPcjeM
    >
    > Hello
    > I am wondering if the issue is caused by you having dual graphics cards or using dual screens . Are you using dual screens? One resolution is different to the other resolution. Try just using one screen, and see if the issues remain. If the issues are not occurring, then add the second screen, using the same resolution.

I will tag @phoebebebe13 to see if she can also help when she next comes onto the forums.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    >
    > @rosemow
    >
    >
    > here is my info:
    >
    > pastebin.com/L4aPcjeM
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > pastebin.com/L4aPcjeM
    >
    > Hello

if you have two video cards , you need to disable one. The sims won't work in Sli. The 980 card is too powerful for the game. You need to use Vsync
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    @rosemow

I just tried everything you suggested and it still keeps on crashing.

here is my info:

pastebin.com/L4aPcjeM

You need to disable sli. The game does not support dual cards.
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001167.htm
    Dual cards in general are not recommended for gaming unless you are playing in 4K resolution. They can cause trouble in allot of games.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Panda12399Panda12399 Posts: 4 New Member
    I had the same issue as well earlier in January after the PC game update(Jan 14ish?). I was playing the sims and suddenly my computer shut off, when I turned it back on 30 mins later a message on the screen said:

"All settings were reset to default values. The previous overclock settings have failed, system has been restored to its default settings. Press F1 to run setup. Press F2 to load default values and run setup. Press Alt+L to load Last known good configuration values and continue."

I chose Alt+L and it sent me to BIOS, I didn't touch anything there, just exited and computer restarted. I backed up all my files in case something happened. I started up Sims again and same thing happened after 10 mins of playing. This time my computer wouldn't turn on at all! I thought it was my PSU that got blown out, so I replaced it and that was not the fix. I took it to a repair shop and they told me my RAM was damaged which was preventing my computer to start POST, so I ended up having to replacing that as well.

Fast forward to last night (Mar 27), I updated Origin/The Sims 4 and played for a few hours and everything seemed fine. Today when I started it up I got the same overclock message as above and did the same steps (Alt+L, exiting BIOS). I've never had this experience with any other games I play (PUBG, Overwatch, etc). I updated my graphics card drivers and searched for others drivers that may need updates and disabled all my CC/Mods folder. I haven't played since removing my mods just because I don't want something to happen to my RAM again or worse.

DxDiag: pastebin.com/run29cqz
  • Options
    Panda12399 wrote: »
    I had the same issue as well earlier in January after the PC game update(Jan 14ish?). I was playing the sims and suddenly my computer shut off, when I turned it back on 30 mins later a message on the screen said:

"All settings were reset to default values. The previous overclock settings have failed, system has been restored to its default settings. Press F1 to run setup. Press F2 to load default values and run setup. Press Alt+L to load Last known good configuration values and continue."

I chose Alt+L and it sent me to BIOS, I didn't touch anything there, just exited and computer restarted. I backed up all my files in case something happened. I started up Sims again and same thing happened after 10 mins of playing. This time my computer wouldn't turn on at all! I thought it was my PSU that got blown out, so I replaced it and that was not the fix. I took it to a repair shop and they told me my RAM was damaged which was preventing my computer to start POST, so I ended up having to replacing that as well.

Fast forward to last night (Mar 27), I updated Origin/The Sims 4 and played for a few hours and everything seemed fine. Today when I started it up I got the same overclock message as above and did the same steps (Alt+L, exiting BIOS). I've never had this experience with any other games I play (PUBG, Overwatch, etc). I updated my graphics card drivers and searched for others drivers that may need updates and disabled all my CC/Mods folder. I haven't played since removing my mods just because I don't want something to happen to my RAM again or worse.

DxDiag: http://pastebin.com/run29cqz

@chesterbigbird Thanks
  • Options
    LordMaru4ULordMaru4U Posts: 4 New Member
    My brain hurts, too much info can only take so much. But anyways, thanks everyone for helping me, it's wonderful to have everyone be helpful and supportive in these situations. My game is working again and I'm so happy. :smile:
  • Options
    My brain hurts, too much info can only take so much. But anyways, thanks everyone for helping me, it's wonderful to have everyone be helpful and supportive in these situations. My game is working again and I'm so happy. :smile:

Hello @LordMaru4U
    It is great that your game is working again :)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    If anyone has Windows 10 they have no power in when updates are installed and sometimes that is why a Windows 10 PC closes down to restart itself on its' own. You can sort any Windows update restarts by scheduling a set time for them to be installed when you aren't wanting to use the PC.

There is also a setting in the older PC's (I've forgotten where) when you can force the PC not to restart when you have problems. It is the default setting in earlier versions unless changed. If I get problems with Sims 4 I press Control, Alt and Delete to get Task Manager to close down any problem programs or close Sims 4.

Also if you press the Windows key the game will collapse to desktop and allow the PC to cool down a bit. I have a now older laptop and I save and collapse the game regularly and go and have a cup of coffee!
  • Options
    TheIrregularSuspectTheIrregularSuspect Posts: 6 New Member
    I don't really know if this is the same problem but my game will not start up at all. I keep getting the message:

"Can't run The Sims 4 due to the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and the latest video drivers are installed"

I don't understand what this means! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    @TheIrregularSuspect said:
    I don't really know if this is the same problem but my game will not start up at all. I keep getting the message:

"Can't run The Sims 4 due to the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and the latest video drivers are installed"

If it helps, I was trying to fix something else in the game (being able to do more than flirt in the romantic interactions) and was trying to make a back up file for my custom content and mods, but I accidentally deleted them along with my saves. The message first came up when I made the backup files and accidentally put them in the same place in the Electronic Arts folder, I had a dumb moment and forgot why it was there so I deleted it. But after deleting it the message still came up. So I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it again, but the message is still appearing!

I've even tried to start the game without my newly downloaded cc and mods but to no avail. I'm confused and a bit frustrated at this point.
  • Options

Hello @TheIrregularSuspect
    This link post explains about the issue. Try doing what is suggested there.
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/cant-run-with-the-video-card-in-this-system/
    Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate.
    If you are playing on a laptop, make sure that the game is using your graphics card
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd

If the issue remains after doing these things, could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    After you have saved your dxdiag info on your computer, go to the pastebin site https://pastebin.com
    and copy/paste the dxdiag info into the white box there. Press the button to create the new paste/pastebin text file.
    Then post here in this thread the web address of your dxdiag info that is on the pastebin site. You will need to replace the http in the address with h.t.t.p as you are a new member and can’t post links.

• Options
    @rosemow
    h.t.t.p.s://pastebin.com/ZTgHN5vq
  • Options
    @TheIrregularSuspect I'm adding to what @rosemow is telling you. You only have 4gb ram. You need 8gb ram to run windows with the game , origin and other programs. You can't just add ram sticks. You need to have same make and model ram sticks when upgrading.
  • Options
    @rosemow

Ahh got it working now! I just took it off Windowed mode
  • Options
    simxlysimxly Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm having the same issue but on Mac. My game has worked fine up until I updated my Mac to OSsierra 10.12.6
    It will load the game but as soon as it loads to the main menu it shuts down my computer as if i hard reset it. When it reboots it says "you shut down your computer because of a problem"
    I've deleted all my CC. And it's still having this issue. Very frustrating lol.
    Heres my other info on my mac

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 288 MB
  • Options
    simxly wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue but on Mac. My game has worked fine up until I updated my Mac to OSsierra 10.12.6
    It will load the game but as soon as it loads to the main menu it shuts down my computer as if i hard reset it. When it reboots it says "you shut down your computer because of a problem"
    I've deleted all my CC. And it's still having this issue. Very frustrating lol.
    Heres my other info on my mac

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

Hello @simxly
    It would be best to post on a thread in the Mac Tech section of the forums. Mac simmers there will help you
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • Options
    AccomandoAccomando Posts: 1 New Member
    I am having the same Shutdown problem. It's happening on 2 machines. Both are new Windows 10 installs, no dust. Nvidia 1030, 8Gb ram, i5, 256SSD with plenty of space, nothing else running except Skype(no video, just voice).

Tried Windows and Full screen.

At default settings (High) the game would reboot the PC as soon as the Gameworld is entered (after character creation).

When I lowered all the settings to medium and turned on VSYNC, the game can be played for 10-15 minutes before shutdown.

I can play Doom and other graphically demanding games just fine. Not sure what's going on. (I have Deluxe edition + Cats N Dogs)
  • Options
    Accomando wrote: »
    I am having the same Shutdown problem. It's happening on 2 machines. Both are new Windows 10 installs, no dust. Nvidia 1030, 8Gb ram, i5, 256SSD with plenty of space, nothing else running except Skype(no video, just voice).

Tried Windows and Full screen.

At default settings (High) the game would reboot the PC as soon as the Gameworld is entered (after character creation).

When I lowered all the settings to medium and turned on VSYNC, the game can be played for 10-15 minutes before shutdown.

I can play Doom and other graphically demanding games just fine. Not sure what's going on. (I have Deluxe edition + Cats N Dogs)

Hello @Accomando
    I am sorry that you are having these issues.

Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate.

Could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    After you have saved your dxdiag info on your computer, go to the pastebin site https://pastebin.com
    and copy/paste the dxdiag info into the white box there. Press the button to create the new paste/pastebin text file.
    Then post here in this thread the web address of your dxdiag info that is on the pastebin site. You will need to replace the http in the address with h.t.t.p as you are a new member and can’t post links.
  • Options
    Huntress1181Huntress1181 Posts: 186 Member
    Unexpected store exception, since yesterday while playing the sims. Has there been an update anytime lately? I checked my pc's health and such nothing, all drivers are up to date. Every thing is dusted within the pc. Just the Sims 4 keeps shutting down my pc now. Sadly and I really want to play.
  • Options
    Unexpected store exception, since yesterday while playing the sims. Has there been an update anytime lately? I checked my pc's health and such nothing, all drivers are up to date. Every thing is dusted within the pc. Just the Sims 4 keeps shutting down my pc now. Sadly and I really want to play.

Hello
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling origin and see if that may help with the issue.
  • Options
    Huntress1181Huntress1181 Posts: 186 Member
    Thanks rosemow! Worked great, no pc shutting down now after uninstalling and reinstalling Origin.
  • Options
    Thanks rosemow! Worked great, no pc shutting down now after uninstalling and reinstalling Origin.

You’re welcome :) I am glad that it worked.