Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anybody know which cache to delete?

Like the title says lol anyone know which cache files to delete? I don't want to delete the wrong files and mess up my game.
oa8abb.gif

Comments

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    if you look in your doc files you will see a cache folder i have not tinkered around with the files to know if that is helpful or not to remove. nor have i seen more informed folks take of the files.

if you pull anything out dont delete just pull to desktop and test
  • Options
    aboutjeraldleeaboutjeraldlee Posts: 34 Member
    Delete everything from your "Tray" folder. Thay would clear and speed up the game!
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    @blam987, I deleted "localthumbcache.package" when I noticed that it had gone from 1300kb to 11,000kb. The next time I started my game, the file was back, and it was 131 kb, growing in subsequent games. I didn't see a difference in performance, but I'm pretty sure that as it gets larger it will cause lag.
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,658 Member
    Okay, so we can delete the "localthumcache.packet and everything from the Tray folder, right?
    My other question I asked in a separate thread which no one has answered is, where are our saves, as in my saves folder I have a ream of computer jargon and nothing which states my save as game. I found my Sims saved at Origin, so they're not saved in my files on my computer, right?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    blam987blam987 Posts: 462 Member
    Ohh ok thank you! and I have the same question as februrary lol
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    NightmareCandleNightmareCandle Posts: 531 Member
    edited September 2014
    > @aboutjeraldlee said:
    > Delete everything from your "Tray" folder. Thay would clear and speed up the game!

Yeah, it'll speed it up alright.
    It'll delete your ENTIRE LIBRARY.

-----

> @February11 said:
    > Okay, so we can delete the "localthumcache.packet and everything from the Tray folder, right?
    > My other question I asked in a separate thread which no one has answered is, where are our saves, as in my saves folder I have a ream of computer jargon and nothing which states my save as game. I found my Sims saved at Origin, so they're not saved in my files on my computer, right?

That computer jargon is your saves. Sort by date modified and each save will be the ones modified at the same time.
    Everything in the Tray folder is only safe to delete if you WANT to delete your ENTIRE library.
    ► ♦ 8XGb8hl.gif ♦ ◄
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for that, and no, I read elsewhere you don't delete your Tray file. I tested the localthunbcache, and that worked fine, so that's basically all we need to delete to stop masses of files building up?
    EDIT - I've just altered how to view files and it's made it far simpler to read.

Also, my saved sims aren't in my saved sims folder, they are in My Library in the Origin thingo in the top right of the loading screen and game screen, is that the way it's meant to be?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    So localthumbcache is the only one we can delete? ;o
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    blam987 wrote: »
    So localthumbcache is the only one we can delete? ;o
    So far that is the only one I've tested. From what I've been told the Tray is your saved games and your Saves is your Sims and houses.

MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    bluebythebookbluebythebook Posts: 65 Member
    Has anyone determined an answer to this question yet? I've tried tweeting a few Gurus to no avail.
  • Options
    Has anyone determined an answer to this question yet? I've tried tweeting a few Gurus to no avail.

Guess the game is too new to figure out right now >_< hopefully someone figures it out
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options

Guess the game is too new to figure out right now >_< hopefully someone figures it out

Me too. I've got a high end gaming PC and after 30 hours of gameplay I'm already starting to stutter a bit, and others have had the same experience. Usually, clearing out my game caches did the trick in TS3 when that happened. I guess I'll have to tone down my settings or something if it gets worse... but I really shouldn't have to do that with the set-up I have.
  • Options

Me too. I've got a high end gaming PC and after 30 hours of gameplay I'm already starting to stutter a bit, and others have had the same experience. Usually, clearing out my game caches did the trick in TS3 when that happened. I guess I'll have to tone down my settings or something if it gets worse... but I really shouldn't have to do that with the set-up I have.

Same here!!! when I play for too long my game starts to stutter for a bit, it did that in ts3 and deleting cache's helped
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    snootypatootysnootypatooty Posts: 499 Member
    Well here is one for you, today I browsed the community and now all that stuff is in the cache folder pictures and all I don't want clutter like that to pile up, dang it shouldn't put all of that in a folder just because I looked at stuff in the community there has got to be a way to delete those pictures out of that cache folder safely
    The mind will ever be unstable that has only prejudices to rest on, and the current will run with destructive fury when there are no barriers to break its force.
    My website bit.ly/185bQS My Chat website bit.ly/1NiCwCb My Blog bit.ly/OuqF0Y
  • Options
    Well here is one for you, today I browsed the community and now all that stuff is in the cache folder pictures and all I don't want clutter like that to pile up, dang it shouldn't put all of that in a folder just because I looked at stuff in the community there has got to be a way to delete those pictures out of that cache folder safely

You mean, you just browsed the Community? Not downloaded anything, just browsed, and it cached everything? Do nooooot like.
  • Options
    My saves files have collected a whole heap of stuff, I'm wondering if we can delete what had been saved yesterday and everyday before hand without affecting what we saved today. Until we hear anything definite, I guess the only safe one to delete is that localthumbcache
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options

OH WOW! I just looked in that folder and there's so much stuff in it!!! holy crap! can we delete those?
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    jacqpinksjacqpinks Posts: 2,118 Member
    Do NOT delete the tray folder it your library of Sims in your Library in the gallery
    Jacqpinks ♥'s The Sims
  • Options
    wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    deleting localthumbcache.package is ok right? Is that the only one, so far that is known of anyway, we can delete?
  • Options
    wickedjr89 wrote: »
    deleting localthumbcache.package is ok right? Is that the only one, so far that is known of anyway, we can delete?

Yes as far as we know
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    wickedjr89 wrote: »

Yes as far as we know
    Yup, I've deleted that one, that's a safe one. My Saves one is my nightmare. I played for ten minutes this morning and it added 59 saves of something, and i only did two save as (existing sims which should have just overwritten exiting files) so I don't know what's going on there!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    I am beginning to think it saves every thing in stead of overwriting, I had a few glitches on the first day so I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it and the funny thing is that even though it told me that all would be lost it wasn't when I reinstalled all the same stuff was there including the family I had created it was using them like townies because I saw one of the family members at the park with my new family so I had to go back into manage households and delete that first family so it would stop using them like townies. I had also unlocked the cave with the first family and when my new family member visited the park that cave is still unlocked even though she had not went there before. If this game is saving everything including what you browse in the community good grief I'd hate to think how much data will be packed on and I shutter to think about any XP at this point
    The mind will ever be unstable that has only prejudices to rest on, and the current will run with destructive fury when there are no barriers to break its force.
  • Options
    katelynnmcdanielkatelynnmcdaniel Posts: 304 Member
    Wait why is it good to delete some of the caches? I never deleted any with sims 3 so im lost...
  • Options
    If your game glitches out while playing a tmp.cache file is created in sims3 so if you don't delete it the data is still there when you start a new family or game etc so your glitches info is passed on and on, cache files should be replaced each time you launch the game if there is not one already there but that is sims3 I have no idea how sims4 is working all I do know is that it is saving way to much data even if you only have one family played and I'm not sure how this auto save is working or not working I myself would rather save my own game and it over write when I do and not have all those files in there
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    If these start to bother me. I just put them in a folder that I mark do not delete, then the game renews them and I put them up there in the folder and then they ask about changing the files and I do that. This way I just do not have to see them until I know exactly what I can delete and it not hurt the game. As said above DO NOT delete they tray folder! That is like your library. I would not be deleting things at this early stage, as you will get all kinds of misinformation until more people check this out, just put them in a folder for now and forget about them until a later date. That would be my advice.