Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anybody know which cache to delete?

Comments

• Options
    bluebythebookbluebythebook Posts: 65 Member
    Wait why is it good to delete some of the caches? I never deleted any with sims 3 so im lost...

In the Sims 3, over time some of the backup cache files could grow excessively large and slow down your game. Deleting would considerably help some people speed their games up, but as with all fixes, "your mileage may vary."

Here is an article explaining the process in Sims 3: http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/technicalhelp/slowgame.php

My question was wondering if there is a similar procedure we can perform with our Sims 4 files. For me, on my computer, the above process usually helped and I cleared those caches about once a week as part of my PC maintenance routine.
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,672 Member
    Well, this is odd. I checked files from last night and the old ones have miraculously disappeared on their own, and I have a reasonable amount in my saves and tray folders. I guess it;'s all trial and error at the moment!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    mysticdiva2mysticdiva2 Posts: 699 Member
    I copied the folder marked Cache to my desktop, and deleted all the thumbnails in it, except the one called file cache... After Testing the Game, everything is working fine.....Most of the files were thumbnails...
  • Options
    natashaspy55natashaspy55 Posts: 130 Member
    That is Great news, mysticdiva! Mine has 215 items in it including 5 temp files and I know we always delete temp files everywhere on our computers. I will make a folder and see. Did you lose your gallery?

And I can't find my Save files. Where are they. There is no Save folder and I have been playing over 5 days now. I do know that all the extra saves are autosaves. Carl Sims Guide says The Sims 4 does auto saves so you don't lose all your stuff.
  • Options
    > @mysticdiva2 said:
    > I copied the folder marked Cache to my desktop, and deleted all the thumbnails in it, except the one called file cache... After Testing the Game, everything is working fine.....Most of the files were thumbnails...

I forgot to quote you so you would be notified that I commented. Here it is. And thanks again.
  • Options
    OK, the quote thing is officially broken. I tried again and it won't set it up as a quote. Dang!
  • Options
    blam987blam987 Posts: 462 Member
    edited September 2014
    @MYSTICDIVA2 Lol I tagged her for you :D@natashaspy55
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    mysticdiva2mysticdiva2 Posts: 699 Member
    > @mysticdiva2 said:<br />
    > I copied the folder marked Cache to my desktop, and deleted all the thumbnails in it, except the one called file cache... After Testing the Game, everything is working fine.....Most of the files were thumbnails...<br />
    <br />
    I forgot to quote you so you would be notified that I commented. Here it is. And thanks again.

Your welcome... Thats what worked for me and I didnt lose anything from my game or gallery....Just Dont Delete the Tray.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Okay, so now we know we can delete the localthumbscache files, and everything BUT FileCache in the cache folder. So, is there anything else we can safely delete? Also, does anyone have anything in the SavedSimInfoData file? Mine is empty, I'm wondering if My Library in the gallery is the only place I can find my sims - or are they , too, in the Tray, but in computer jargon terms and not recognizable names? ( for want of a better way to expaline what I mean)
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    Let me expand on Ceejay400 post, I would not delete, just move to desktop or you can copy and paste in a new folder and write down where you pulled them from just in case you have to put them back. I do not delete any of my files until I am sure they are not necessary and if I screw up I can put them back. Some methods that was used on Sims 3 may not work on Sims 4.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Green_Girly100Green_Girly100 Posts: 296 Member
    I delete everything in the cache folder.... It is the only fix I have found for a problem I have where the game won't load.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Has anyone checked if we can delete the contents of the "lotcacheddata" folder?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    Localthumbs is fine, just makes the gallery load slower the next time you load it - tray is not okay, that's all of your saved lots and sims. Local thumbs will just fill up again when you open the gallery and go to the community page so, a bit pointless to delete it but, if it makes you happy.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    Has anyone checked if we can delete the contents of the "lotcacheddata" folder?

I hadn't thought about that one. I don't have much in mine, but my Saves file is building up.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    IntriligatorIntriligator Posts: 5 New Member
    edited September 2014
    > @bluebythebook said:

> Me too. I've got a high end gaming PC and after 30 hours of gameplay I'm already starting to stutter a bit

After 90 hours the problem has become worse and worse, loading times are now epic and stutters have increased. I am on a high (ish) spec laptop, i7, SSD, GTX675MX, Windows 8.1 16Gig ram etc.

Here is where I am at so far trying to fix this. I have 'repaired' the game in Origin. I have run CC Cleaner. I have got rid of mods. I have stepped down from Ultra to High. I have switched on laptop mode. During an IM conversation with 'HELP' I was guided through deleting the Origin folder in USER/appdata/local. You have to enable 'show hidden folders' to see this. If in any doubt about this then contact HELP yourself...

Unfortunately I then ran out of time so will have to resume my HELP IM tomorrow. Cant actually speak to anyone about this as I am I the UK.

As things have progressively got worse it would make sense that it was some kind of cache or 'saved game' issue. Nothing has improved yet. Hope it can be sorted soon.

EDIT: Just as a test I started a new version of the game on a separate partition on my C drive.

Time to travel back from the park to home lot in new game 15 seconds
    Time to travel the same journey in old version of the game (with 95 hours played) 121 seconds

I am not running mods. I have downloaded a couple of sims and lots from the community. It would be something of a personal tragedy if these downloads from within the game were causing the issue.
    Post edited by Intriligator on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I copied the folder marked Cache to my desktop, and deleted all the thumbnails in it, except the one called file cache... After Testing the Game, everything is working fine.....Most of the files were thumbnails...

@mysticdiva2: Whoa! This is a long delay in responding here. I took my cache file out of the game and put it on my desktop and had the game generate a new one. I lost SO much stuff that I had to put it all back in. DON'T delete the first cache file whatever you do!

Whenever my game gets even the least bit slow I just jump out, delete the localthumgcache and everything is speedy immediately. That one really does work great.

• Options
    TrendniqGamesTrendniqGames Posts: 82 Member
    If I delete the "localthumbcache.package" what will get deleted from my Sims 4 exactly? Or.. some what exactly? :o
  • Options
    If I delete the "localthumbcache.package" what will get deleted from my Sims 4 exactly? Or.. some what exactly? :o

That's your gameplay cache. Removing it can remove glitches that have built up in your game - things stuck in it's memory that shouldn't be. Generally speaking, deleting it occasionally can (but won't always) improve performance. The game will also take longer to show you Sim and household avatars the first time you reload a save after deleting that cache, but that's the only negative you can expect, and it's very much temporary.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    TrendniqGamesTrendniqGames Posts: 82 Member
    Thank you so much @luthienrising ! :D
  • Options
    MorpharMorphar Posts: 140 Member
  • Options
    Morphar wrote: »

That was posted before we'd all tried more files than that. This is a complete, harmless cache-clearing:
    1. Move (not copy) Saves, Tray, Mods, Screenshots, and Custom Music folders and the Options.ini file to your desktop. Delete the Scratch subfolder from inside Saves.
    2. Delete the rest of the The Sims 4 folder from your Documents > Electronic Arts folder.
    3. Start the game, and exit the game. Now you have a fresh Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 folder.
    4. Copy all the folders and the file back and start the game again.
  • Options
    I've had a new one generate recently it's called onlinethumbnailcache. Anyone else been getting that one?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    February11 wrote: »
    I've had a new one generate recently it's called onlinethumbnailcache. Anyone else been getting that one?

Yes, that's from looking at the contents of a GP or EP from inside the game, on the opening menu. It can be deleted if you like but shouldn't impede anything in-game either.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    February11 wrote: »

Yes, that's from looking at the contents of a GP or EP from inside the game, on the opening menu. It can be deleted if you like but shouldn't impede anything in-game either.

Thanks I was wondering what that new package file was. I though it was from Origin. When I called ea about the Nvida issues with the new patch they tried to tell me that new package file might have been created by windows and I was not buying that answer. Why would windows put a package file in the game?
  • Options
    SaraEmily0013SaraEmily0013 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi all I have a bunch of text documents called lastexeception and lastcrash all ending with a bunch of numbers, can these be deleted and does anyone else have them?!? Please help