Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mansion Rooms

I am planning on building a massive mansion in the sims 3 and need loads of room ideas. I am planning to build about 200 rooms in the main mansion and a few other buildings with stuff. Please post ideas below-they are greatly appreciated :)

Also if anyone can tell me a 64x64 lot in any sims world that has a beautiful vista moodlet please tell me-thanks! TO THE FIRST PERSON WHO TELLS ME OF A VALID ONE THEY WILL RECIEVE A GIFT FROM ME ON THE STORE!

As the project progresses I will post pictures and updates and when it is done there will be a download. I try to incorporate all sensible contributions so do contribute to this thread. Happy Simming! :D

BTW, EP's and SP's I have are:
World Adventures, Late Night, Ambitions, Generations, Showtime, Island Paradise, Supernatural, Pets, Seasons, University Life, Hi-Tech Loft, Town Life, Fast Lane and Outdoor Living-I also have quite a lot of store stuff: Sunlit Tides, Monte Vista, Hidden Springs, Stones Throw Greenhouse and other stuff. :)

This is the thread where I make updates on the mansion building: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/742169.page#11806227

Comments

• Options
    FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited February 2014
    The lot in Sunset Valley up by the Landgraab and Alto mansions gives the moodlet.

As for rooms, try:
    a greenhouse
    a spa
    a parlour room, with a billiards table
    formal dining room
    informal dining room
    art studio
    meditation room

Edit: The lot's I listed might only be 60x60, but if you don't mind removing the Central Park from Sunset Valley, it gives the moodlet and is 64x64
  • Options
    jamescounselljamescounsell Posts: 35 New Member
    edited February 2014
    The lot in Sunset Valley up by the Landgraab and Alto mansions gives the moodlet.

As for rooms, try:
    a greenhouse
    a spa
    a parlour room, with a billiards table
    formal dining room
    informal dining room
    art studio
    meditation room

Edit: The lot's I listed might only be 60x60, but if you don't mind removing the Central Park from Sunset Valley, it gives the moodlet and is 64x64

Thank you so much for your help-i have sent a gift to you :)
  • Options
    MartuniMartuni Posts: 702 Member
    edited February 2014
    A library with a secret bookcase/door to a basement laboratory.
    Media room
    Nursery with adjacent play room and nanny's quarters
    Butler's quarters
    Room off the kitchen - pantry on one side, coffee bar on the other
    Morning room (cafe table/chairs, lots of greenery and large windows)
    Teen hang-out room
    Exercise/gym room
    HUGE walk-in closet (like a room) off the master bedroom
    Basement natatorium (swimming pool)

Those are just off the top of my head. ENJOY, and yes, post pictures of your progress!

Cheers, Martuni
  • Options
    kmsim15kmsim15 Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited February 2014
    Other rooms you could add:

A library room with wall to wall bookshelves as well as perhaps a chess table. For decoration you could add the globe from the decor section.

You could also have a separate study with a desk and computer (although you could combine this with the library room).

A music room with a piano and some or all of the other instruments available.

A gym with different workout equipment, a stereo, the ballet barre if you have the Skylight Studio venue from the store. Some mirrors and maybe one of the decorative lockers that are in the decor sections. You would probably want to build a bathroom that is connected to this room. You could even place the gym and spa next to eachother with a shared bathroom between them.

A ballroom might also be nice, you could put down the dance floors from Late Night as well as perhaps a professional juice bar where your sims could practice their Mixology or you could hire a bartender if you throw a party. And you could add a stereo to this section.

You could also build a dojo with the martial arts equipment from World Adventures.

A rec room would be nice with a tv, pool tables, arcade machines, stereo and other play items.

A nursery for babies and toddlers

A separate play room with toddler learning toys and stuffed animals and the playpen and walker that came with the Children's Learning Center if you have it.

And of course you may want to add a nice garage for nice cars and maybe the fixer upper car from Roaring Heights if you have it.

Edit: I added my answer the same time as Martuni, so some of my ideas are the same as theirs :oops:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thank you all so far for your answers-they are a huge help, please keep contributing-the support is amazing!
  • Options
    cemole4235cemole4235 Posts: 344 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Wow, I only *wish* I had a computer that could handle 200 rooms! :lol: As for suggestions, I'd say every good mansion needs a gallery with fine artwork and sculptures :) I also like putting chapels in my larger homes. Not necessarily religious, but just quiet contemplative places with lots of candles.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So far I have just built the foundation of the house, the gate and a guard post at the gate :) Please keep ideas coming
    Regards,
    James
  • Options
    addicted242addicted242 Posts: 116 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Whoa 200 rooms! Sounds like a big project you got going on there. Some rooms that you could put in are a home theatre, a rec space with a billiards table, ski ball, domino's etc... you could even put in an additional bowling alley or a stage with instruments. You could add a indoor swimming pool and a secret study if you have that sliding door from Supernatural I think...A library and go nuts with the kitchen.

Depending on the style of your mansion your building the types of rooms could vary. The one's I've listed would go with a more modern day mansion, whereas as with older ones you'd have special rooms for certain occasions, like dinner parties, or separate studies and sitting rooms for different people. Plus servants would have a whole separate quarters. They would have their own kitchen, bathrooms, common area, bedrooms and such.

I'll see if I can come up with any more ideas...

Hope this helped! Cheers! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Whoa 200 rooms! Sounds like a big project you got going on there. Some rooms that you could put in are a home theatre, a rec space with a billiards table, ski ball, domino's etc... you could even put in an additional bowling alley or a stage with instruments. You could add a indoor swimming pool and a secret study if you have that sliding door from Supernatural I think...A library and go nuts with the kitchen.

Depending on the style of your mansion your building the types of rooms could vary. The one's I've listed would go with a more modern day mansion, whereas as with older ones you'd have special rooms for certain occasions, like dinner parties, or separate studies and sitting rooms for different people. Plus servants would have a whole separate quarters. They would have their own kitchen, bathrooms, common area, bedrooms and such.

I'll see if I can come up with any more ideas...

Hope this helped! Cheers! :)
    Thanks for the help-really good info-love the secret study idea with the door-i will definitely do that! The style I am going for is a traditional with a few modern twists-it will have red brick and nice windows with a slate roof but will have cool nooks and cranny's which are super high tech :D
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited February 2014
    A game room with pool table, chess table, dart board, etc..

A separate electronic game room with arcade machines.

A greenhouse or conservatory or both [you don't need the skylights, just big windows. the pots for the harvestables and lots of plants with a small sitting area].

If you build a ballroom, add a small 'service kitchen' next to it so that the food can be kept warm. Don't forget his and her bathrooms! You might also want a stage or musician's gallery.

A butler's pantry between the dining room and kitchen can hold dishes, a dishwasher and a sink. This is were food is prepped/ garnished for the table.

A private office off the library. Some mansions have an office for him, an office for her and an office for the butler.

A breakfast room off of the kitchen usually gets a lot of morning sun.

A private museum might take up several rooms.

A wine cellar with tasting table.

A garret for just storage [like an attic]

Lots of guest bedrooms with different themes [Miss Scarlet will be in the Chinese bedroom; put Mr. Green in the Blue Suite.]

Give each of the family bedrooms a sitting room and full bath.

A trophy room [if you have the lion's head and the antlers from the store], put fish on the walls, too, and hang the big sword fish from Island Paradise in the center.

A stable, a kennel, and a small 'zoo' filled with caged pets. If you really wanted to get exotic you could have a separate room for each type of pet [an Aviary, a Herpetology room, an Aquarium].

The Whitehouse has it's own private bowling alley, half-court gym and screening room.

A craft room with the sculpture station [and glass blowing thing if you have it].

Hope these help!

Edit - I forgot the pantry off of the kitchen!

• Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited February 2014
    You'll also need a ballroom complete with dance floor, DJ booth, and a raised platform for where the live band would perform. Don't forget the Late Night bar.

You'll need like a six or eight car garage with quarters for a chauffeur/mechanic above.

Stables for your horses.

Should also have a courtyard area with a fountain and benches to sit.

You'll need a separate laundry room either in the basement or somewhere near the servants quarters.

You'll need a billiard room with another LN bar.

Others have already mentioned a library. There's a nice one The Cat's Meow in Roaring Heights that could be an example.

You'll need safe room where you can keep your family valuables.

You'll need a room for your collection of artifacts from China, Egypt, and France

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Best Regards,
    Nik

Edited to add: one of the EA Store sets has an end table that looks like a safe. I'll see if I can find a link to it.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Schweighsr wrote:
    A game room with pool table, chess table, dart board, etc..

A separate electronic game room with arcade machines.

A greenhouse or conservatory or both [you don't need the skylights, just big windows. the pots for the harvestables and lots of plants with a small sitting area].

If you build a ballroom, add a small 'service kitchen' next to it so that the food can be kept warm. Don't forget his and her bathrooms! You might also want a stage or musician's gallery.

A butler's pantry between the dining room and kitchen can hold dishes, a dishwasher and a sink. This is were food is prepped/ garnished for the table.

A private office off the library. Some mansions have an office for him, an office for her and an office for the butler.

A breakfast room off of the kitchen usually gets a lot of morning sun.

A private museum might take up several rooms.

A wine cellar with tasting table.

A garret for just storage [like an attic]

Lots of guest bedrooms with different themes [Miss Scarlet will be in the Chinese bedroom; put Mr. Green in the Blue Suite.]

Give each of the family bedrooms a sitting room and full bath.

A trophy room [if you have the lion's head and the antlers from the store], put fish on the walls, too, and hang the big sword fish from Island Paradise in the center.

A stable, a kennel, and a small 'zoo' filled with caged pets. If you really wanted to get exotic you could have a separate room for each type of pet [an Aviary, a Herpetology room, an Aquarium].

The Whitehouse has it's own private bowling alley, half-court gym and screening room.

A craft room with the sculpture station [and glass blowing thing if you have it].

Hope these help!

Edit - I forgot the pantry off of the kitchen!

Thanks-these are great ideas-will definitely be implemented!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    You'll also need a ballroom complete with dance floor, DJ booth, and a raised platform for where the live band would perform. Don't forget the Late Night bar.

You'll need like a six or eight car garage with quarters for a chauffeur/mechanic above.

Stables for your horses.

Should also have a courtyard area with a fountain and benches to sit.

You'll need a separate laundry room either in the basement or somewhere near the servants quarters.

You'll need a billiard room with another LN bar.

Others have already mentioned a library. There's a nice one The Cat's Meow in Roaring Heights that could be an example.

You'll need safe room where you can keep your family valuables.

You'll need a room for your collection of artifacts from China, Egypt, and France

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Best Regards,
    Nik

Awesome-I love the safe room idea and the Garage idea with the chauffer/mechanic quarters+genius. All the other ideas are brilliant too! Thank you so much,
    Regards, James
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited February 2014
    Found it! Here's a link to the Safer than Safe End Table:

http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:67512

It's part of the Coffee Bean Hipster Loft set.

In addition to a room with a safe, you'll also want a vault room with one of the two-wide gates that can be locked. Shelving inside to hold your precious gems, jewelry, and such.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    Found it! Here's a link to the Safer than Safe End Table:

http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:67512

It's part of the Coffee Bean Hipster Loft set.

In addition to a room with a safe, you'll also want a vault room with one of the two-wide gates that can be locked. Shelving inside to hold your precious gems, jewelry, and such.
    Thanks so much :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think all of us posting have well-thought-out plans for when we finally get that winning lottery ticket... :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Here's a few more:

A bomb shelter under the basement

A big party room you could theme in different ways, like for a Christmas gift-giving party, kid's birthday, engagement party, etc.

A turret room for stargazing

This is a fun thread!
  • Options
    donnabaileydonnabailey Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 2014
    Martuni wrote:
    I think all of us posting have well-thought-out plans for when we finally get that winning lottery ticket... :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

A ballet studio is a must! The ballet bar and dance floor, polished wood floors, lots of big windows and mirrors along one wall, and a grand piano to accompany the dancers.
    Appaloosa Plains Townie Makeover Project!

The Claw Machine Diaries Challenge

Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Martuni wrote:

Hehehe, well when this is finished this will be my lottery spendings :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited February 2014
    As for the lot - I suggest in each of the worlds you are considering go to each 64x64 lot, copy it to the bin, then bulldoze it and change it to Residential if it began as Commercial - then enter the lot to see if it has the 'beautiful vista'. *you may need to move a sim into the lot and select him/her as the household to do this... not sure...

An Entrance Hall which leads to on one side a "Greeting Room" and the other side to a half-bath - the ER having double grand stairways

A Foyer that is smaller than the Entrance Hall and is first entered into - this should have a magnificent statue in the center

Mansions usually have "Double Parlors" which are mirror images of each other in all furnishings/decorations, each having identical deluxe fireplaces - and are separated by a wall of sliding doors that can be opened when a grand party is in progress

Concert room with raised dias for musical instruments/microphone for singers, and velvet/silk and wood luxurious chairs arranged in front of the "stage"

"Game Room" - one for adults, teens and children in addition to the playrooms for toddlers - the playrooms / one per floor

several "galleries" which have art works on the walls plus niches for statuary items - and are also hallways

room devoted to cats - room devoted to dogs - room devoted to birds and room devoted to smaller critters - plus a 'aquari-room' for fish with a wall of fish

a rose garden, flower garden, kitchen vegetable garden, fruit trees, herb garden

subterranean parking garage with several high-end vehicles

Also - check my patterns if looking for original and unique CAP patterns to use to recolor objects, floorings and walls - plus I would be happy to help you out in recoloring if you like my patterns and would like help in this way...

Good Luck!

• Options
    SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited February 2014
    I have had well-thought out plans for my winning lottery ticket since one year before California began the lottery. Mine include establishing a trust fund with a small portion that would keep me comfortable (of course buying and renovating or building a medium size home for me and a good car; the majority would be used in my "Homeless Foundation" which would buy properties, apartments-duplexes-condos-homes-mobile homes all around the city, placing single homeless to large homeless families in these, homes to all be fully furnished, equipped with all needs including food - and giving the choice of returning to college/tech school for training or just time to seek employment. They could live there for what ever amount of time it took to become fully self-supporting. When they are ready to move on the payback would be donating one full weekend per month for two years to helping others. The only catch would be totally random alcohol and drug tests - absolutely zero tolerance for either.
    Martuni wrote:

Here's a few more:

A bomb shelter under the basement

A big party room you could theme in different ways, like for a Christmas gift-giving party, kid's birthday, engagement party, etc.

A turret room for stargazing

This is a fun thread!
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited February 2014
    A while back, I built my sim a house with an indoor pool! Crazy? Maybe, but at lease my sim could go swim while it was snowing outside.

Other rooms maybe a turkish bath, gym, library and maybe a play room for the kids.

I get alot of my ideas from looking at various deckplans of different passenger liners (yes, including Titanic). Hope some of these help...
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    A while back, I built my sim a house with an indoor pool! Crazy? Maybe, but at lease my sim could go swim while it was snowing outside.

I love indoor pools!

I was crazy enough to build an indoor jumping course for my unicorn. It was fun to watch him and my Sim run through the kitchen between jumps. :mrgreen:

I also used to build big two-story atriums. I would leave one wall missing, and put a small pond, trees, rocks, flowers, etc. inside it. When I was finished, I'd place the final wall. It had a picnic area, grill, golf and other outdoor activities (using "moveobjects on" to place them).
  • Options
    snowplow19snowplow19 Posts: 158 Member
    edited February 2014
    Holy cow, 200 rooms! One of my bigger builds was a house with 103 rooms and that was exhausting! haha It was 3 full floors with a massive basement area. Off the top of my head the rooms included:

foyer
    main Living room
    main kitchen
    main dining
    library
    lounge
    billiard room
    main office
    basement stairwell lobby
    mud room
    3 Car garage with a "lift" to underground garage
    upper floor salon
    stair hall/lounge
    master suite- mstr lobby, mstr bath, mstr dining, mstr living, mstr bed, mstr office
    breezeway
    indoor poolside bar/lounge
    Ballroom
    10-12 guest bedrooms
    Servants quarters- kitchen, dining, laundry, butler suite, 5-6 bedrooms
    Basement level consisted of:
    Theater lobby and theater
    Gym lobby with display car behind glass
    Gym
    6 total separate male/female shower/bath area
    sauna
    lower garage