Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vargfjell, the Rugged Land of Vikings and Tyrants

QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
edited February 26 in Nominated Threads
vargtitle.jpg

A cold mountainous island off the coast of Norway, Varfjell is often described as a harsh yet beautiful place. Most of the activity is concentrated within the large castle town resting in the foothills; its name changed numerous times to honor whichever pompous lord occupied its palace. This however ended after the reign of Olaf Tharaldson IV, whose murderous antics greatly diminished the town’s population. Since the dismissal of Tharaldson, the castle town grew and prospered under the control Lords Melankoli, Sanguine, Koleriske, and Flegmatisk. Regardless, the majority of Vargfjell’s frigid island remains a desolate wasteland, save for some old Viking Settlements and Recluse hideaways.

Versions:
Beta Version 3 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, and Showtime. Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff.
Version 1 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, and Supernatural. Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff.
Version 2 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, and Supernatural. Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff. Has a grassy terrain as opposed to a snowy one. Intended for Seasons, but not required.
Version 3 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, and Island Paradise (Finally). Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff. Download from Mediafire instead of Sims 3 Exchange.

Related Downloads:
Martinov's Maze A large half-timbered estate with an unusual floor plan.
Huset paa bakken A strangely-shaped rustic dwelling.
Vittra Hill An old shingled house on a knoll.
Castle Draugr A small castle made from black stone. An edited version of the one that comes with the world so that it fits more smoothly on flat lots.

Lead Roles:
VBio1_zps3b21c2d5.jpg
Olaf IV and Ingrid Tharaldson
Olaf and Ingrid Tharaldson were the most notorious rulers of Vargfjell. Olaf had the innocent slaughtered without hesitation while his wife was too busy committing adultery to put an end to Olaf’s madness. Eventually, an unidentified stranger arrived in town and compiled an angry mob of peasants to overthrow the Tharaldsons. Unfortunately the mob grew beyond the control of their leader, and thus they murdered all of Olaf and Ingrid’s children and servants, with exception to their youngest daughter. Even worse, the mob failed to capture the lord and lady so that they could kill them in the most painful and humiliating way imaginable, so the Tharaldsons survived.

VBio2_zps635a92d4.jpg
Emil Koleriske
Emil Koleriske is the current mayor of Vargfjell. While he clearly has an anger issue, Emil is often seen as an effective decision maker and politician. Of course, there is another side to Emil, an Emil who seals his wife in a barrel and dumps her into the sea. An abusive husband, Emil is also a terrible father; all of his children are lunatics.

VBio3_zps3f084230.jpg
Viola Koleriske
Unfortunately for Emil, the tide was in favor of his wife, Viola, and it brought her back to shore. Immediately, Viola contacted the authorities, but Emil had conspired with them. Claiming her story to be laughable and insane, Emil’s men had Viola committed to an illegitimate asylum for a few years until Emil's ploy was uncovered by less corrupt officials. Emil himself remained unlinked to the conspiracy. There is a reason why Viola never looks too happy.

VBio4_zps5c53e600.jpg
Mack Martinov
Although Emil is pure evil, others do terrible things out of true insanity. Mack Martinov, a man who moved to Norway from the United States, is a miserable soul who spends his days spying on people and searching Vargfjell’s hinterlands for corpses. Mack, having no friends and a son who hates him, practices necromancy as a hobby. It debatable as to which of the Martinov brothers is more disturbed, for Mack’s younger brother has done some horrible things as well.

VBio5_zps16ec2f26.jpg
Kjetil Valen
Kjetil is another horrifying character of Vargfjell. He tries his best to come across as polite and charming, but it is really difficult for people to get comfortable around a man with fangs and red eyes. He’s just “misunderstood,” so he claims. Surely there is somebody out there who he can backstab for his own personal gain.

VBio6_zpsef1450cc.jpg
Erling Draugr
Apparently Vargfjell has no shortage of bald-headed vampires. Unlike Kjetil, Erling was born a mortal hundreds of years ago, before the Tharaldsons took power. The oldest living thing in Vargfjell, Erling has a kindly demeanor despite the uncontrollable hunger for blood.

VBio7_zps6a50f9b6.jpg
Maximilian Melankoli
Yet Vargfjell also has no shortage of shady villains. Maximilian Melankoli is the younger brother of a more honorable Nikolaus Melankoli. A thief and a liar, Max is despised by his family along with anyone who has the misfortune of running into him before sunrise.

VBio8_zpse8f2389a.jpg
Birgitta Melankoli
Like her uncle, Birgitta is no gem either. Although her parents seem like kind people, they happened to raise a daughter who has a tendency to set her fellow classmates on fire. Birgitta hates people, and if she could help it, she would wipe everyone off the face of the earth. Is this nonsense, or is she legitimately a sociopath like Uncle Max?

VBio9_zps008139cd.jpg
Hedvig Flegmatisk
The Flegmatisks are pretty lazy and uninteresting people. They spend most of the day reading books and watching television, all except Hedvig and her brother, Bard. The two moved out into some cheap rustic house where they proceed to not talk to each other. While Hedvig is frequently bored with an uninteresting life, there is a lot on her mind. Will boredom turn her into somebody like that Martinov fellow, whose obsessions drove him to practicing necromancy?

VBio10_zpse70bb219.jpg
Christian Sanguine
Christian was supposed to be the heir to the Sanguine family manor, but his father was too fed up with paying for Christian’s many debts to even write him in his will. An eccentric man with a lavish lifestyle, Christian is currently riding the road from riches to rags as his debts catch up with him. Hedonism has been the Sanguine way for many years, but Christian takes it to another level of stupidity.

The Village has no official name since it has been renamed so many times. It takes up a large portion of the island and its main body is divided into four districts. Most of the architecture throughout the village is pretty consistent and somewhat Germanic in appearance, but there are subtle variations in each quarter.

The Central District features the local market, the library, and an old tavern. For the most part, it is a simple row of pale half-timbered buildings. Downhill is the cemetery, which isn't exactly part of the district.
Screenshot-166-1.jpg
Screenshot-176-1.jpg

The Gothic Quarter sits uphill, right next to the Central district. It has a slightly more morbid essence to it since its main attraction is the Bloody Brewery, a large vampire lounge. Also located here is the art gallery and laundromat. There is a diverse price range in housing, since there is the large Melankoli Manor located further up and a set of cheap apartments known as the Gallows directly across.
Screenshot-169-1.jpg

The Military District is downhill from the Gothic Quarter. It was not intended to be as pretty or colorful as the other districts, but it isn't quite an eyesore either. Here you may find the local gym and the fire station. Despite the name, there isn't a military base located here.
Screenshot-171-2.jpg

The Entertainment District the most cheerful part of the village due to its vibrant color scheme and nightlife. There are a couple of clubs located here as well as a salon. Further downhill is the jousting arena. The houses in this district are among the cheapest.
Screenshot-173-1.jpg
Screenshot-174-2.jpg

The Outer Village pretty much has everything left out of the castle town. There are even different ecosystems located here (inside domes). While it is a more practical setting than the walled castle town, it doesn't have that same feel to it. Nonetheless, it is an interesting place for travelers.
Screenshot-183-1.jpg
Screenshot-182-1.jpg
Screenshot-181-2.jpg
Screenshot-180-1.jpg

The Wilderness takes up about half of the island. Throughout are various differently sized houses. There is also a small Viking village located here. For the most part it is very mountainous.
Screenshot-177-2.jpg
Screenshot-178-2.jpg
Screenshot-179-2.jpg

The Melankoli Family dwells in the Gothic Quarter in a large house. Quite fitting to the neighborhood, they are cheerless dullards. Jacobine and Nikolaus have three daughters, two are off married, and one is living with them. Nikolaus also has a creepy younger brother named Maximilian and a sister named Celine, who is married to Frode Flegmatisk (stupid name). Jacobine is an offspring of Shaw Blightwood (a vampire from another neighborhood of mine).
Screenshot-160-2.jpg

The Koleriske family lives in the Military District, appropriately enough for such a headstrong group of bullies. Emil, the "king" of the household, as he calls himself is divorced and living with his three children, all have terrible anger problems. He also has a brother and sister, the latter is clinically insane.
Screenshot-162-2.jpg

The Flegmatisk family owns a house in the Central District. They are a peaceful yet strange group of individuals, best described as nerds. Celine and Frode have four children, two who are not in this picture since they live outside the lodge.
Screenshot-163-2.jpg

The Sanguine family of the Entertainment District are the opposite of the Melankoli family, fun, outgoing, and annoying. The man of the house, Gunnar, has an older brother named Christian, who failed to inherit the house since he was even more of an embarrassment than these people.
Screenshot-164-2.jpg

Lots:
momboqueen: interior of Second Defense
citytube: first floor of Gothic Quarter Museum and right building of The Hidden Washhouse
tashie_baby11: interior of Fat Trio

Worlds by Quailhogs:
Tribus (WIP)
Wraith
Huntsborough
Vargfjell
The Stoneshields and Fortress Rock
Grey Meadow

A Tale of Five Dystopias
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Another Quailhogs world to feast my eyes upon. :-o :D
  • Options
    ashleyadorableashleyadorable Posts: 7,254 Member
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, count me interested :O
  • Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, count me interested :O

ditto.

tee-hee. snow and stuff.
  • Options
    ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited December 2011
    I love it! "Winter is Coming" for Westeros fans: http://www.westeros.org/
  • Options
    morakemorake Posts: 74 New Member
    edited December 2011
    :O I've been looking for an icy world just like this for AGES!
    me so excited now! :D
  • Options
    may_nilanmay_nilan Posts: 950 New Member
    edited December 2011
    I can't wait for this to be finished. It looks like it's going to be epic! :shock:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I gathered your interest (not worded well). This is the first finished building for the world. It is the most care I put into a starter home, it being fully furnished and costing around $16,500. This actually wasn't too difficult since some of the furniture that came with Pets was pretty cheap.
    Screenshot-17.jpg
    Screenshot-14.jpg
    Update: Gave the house a friend; Estimated between $15,000 and $16,000.
    Screenshot-18.jpg
    Screenshot-19.jpg
    Unfortunately, because of the pace that I work at, this world may take a while to finish.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    VanillaTwilight93VanillaTwilight93 Posts: 349 Member
    edited December 2011
    Yay another Quailhogs world, I love your other two worlds! :mrgreen:
    It looks amazing! :D
    I really love those starter houses! Are you going to include pets lots?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I will include the pets lots. I will probably put them in some kind of dome since it seems a bit inappropriate to have a cat jungle in the snow.
    Update: Here's a house intended for a middle-upper class family. It's very similar to most of the houses I build. There will be a bit more variety once I get to the downtown area (I have no intention of building skyscrapers for this world.)
    Screenshot-20.jpg
  • Options
    OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm excited. The snow and stuff looks awesome. I enjoy both of your worlds very much and I'm thrilled you are starting a new one. :]
  • Options
    FroggieSimFroggieSim Posts: 645 New Member
    edited December 2011
    I can't wait to see more! It looks awesome already, the finished product will be wonderful!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is the community pool:
    Screenshot-23.jpg
    It's in a dome.
    Screenshot-24.jpg
    This is the standard downtown architecture. It is similar to that in New Hades, Fortress Rock (of my other world).
    Screenshot-22.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yes, I have been working on this world. I built a small mixed use area outside of the castle town, simply to dump the character-killing rabbit holes that would not fit in at all with the main area's theme. I added some mixed use buildings to compliment the extraordinary plain architecture of the major rabbit holes, now looking like a decapitated version of downtown Fortress Rock.
    Screenshot-39.jpg
    Screenshot-40.jpg
    Screenshot-41.jpg
    Screenshot-42.jpg
    Screenshot-43.jpg
    Here is the first complete house of the castle town, obviously modernized because it has a garage.
    Screenshot-45.jpg
    Screenshot-38.jpg
  • Options
    NofravellNofravell Posts: 975 Member
    edited January 2012
    Woo! A new world! This one looks just as amazing as the other two. And I still haven't managed to play through them completely. Lucky I have a few days of me-time coming up. ;)

I like the look of this town. And the name. It's the Norweigan spelling of the word "Vargfjäll" I belive.

I like how you work with textrures in CAW. They seem very real in game. :)
  • Options
    VictoriousSimmerVictoriousSimmer Posts: 2,715
    edited January 2012
    Looks great! I can't wait to get it(:
  • Options
    bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited January 2012
    Looks PERFECT for the Snow Mountain-themed Story Mode world I was imagining to build next!
    Will there be any tombs?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks guys; I'm happy you like it. I will probably add tombs, but use them sparingly, as they are sometimes a nuisance for me to construct due to the game's annoying mechanics regarding tomb items.
  • Options
    LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited January 2012
    I'm super excited to about this world. I don't have any snowy world's on my game yet and this one looks amazing. Keep up the wonderful work :)
  • Options
    gh0ulgh0ul Posts: 26
    edited January 2012
    Wow, it looks awesome! Before I saw the downtown area I almost shouted FUS RO DAH!!! 8) (That's not to say the downtown doesn't look cool, it just brought me back to thinking of the real world again)

Love the name too, you're going to have a herd of us Norwegians and Swedes stalking this thread!

Nofravell: Yep; "varg" is also used in Norwegian, although "ulv" would be the most common name of it nowadays (which I believe is the opposite in Sweden?). It's also a male name, albeit rare - if you don't count black metal pseudonyms, of course. :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, I'm not very keen on language, I just thought that "varg" sounded a lot better. The world may have a lot of mistranslations in it being that the building names and lot addresses are in Norwegian (the streets also have the numbers placed after the road name). The lot descriptions are in English.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm moving along in the development of the walled city.
    Screenshot-57.jpg
    Screenshot-49.jpg
    Screenshot-54.jpg
    As of now, half of the buildings are furnished, while others are just shells. Here's another house I added out in the wilderness.
    Screenshot-55.jpg
  • Options
    ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited January 2012
    This looks fantastic. I'll be watching this thread for sure.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I just uploaded the house in the last picture of my previous post. The sim I intend on moving in is not included with the download. Here's the link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5027909
    This lot is great for those who enjoy landscaping because there practically isn't any.
  • Options
    steph_444444steph_444444 Posts: 1,875 Member
    edited January 2012
    I find that the architecture style you're using is a lot like that in Hogsmeade village, from Harry Potter. Has a very magical feel to it.
  • Options
    WedWed Posts: 174 Member
    edited January 2012
    Wow, another world to bookmark! Jeez, so many good worlds in progress. I love your previous one, so I am waiting for this one to be completed as well. I love the snowy environment. Very good work. Keep it up!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top