Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Translation for Simlish

I was wondering... is there any way that there may be a dictonary of sorts that we can use to translate the simlish language?

I know that some say our little 'sim-beings' are just garbling along, but I think not. I have a feeling that like other languages across the world they have a system like chinese or japanese where a symbol can mean a word, and depending on how it is used or said, the words can change.

Any help or ideas of where I might be able to find a translator for Simlish to english?

Ivory
mbytI0Z.png
The Universe & I have agreed to disagree with each other!

Comments

• Options
    HARRYwasHEREHARRYwasHERE Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited August 2010
    Nope its pretty much gibberish. The person recording it is just given an emotion or situation and says the first thing that comes to their mind
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited August 2010
    I was wondering... is there any way that there may be a dictonary of sorts that we can use to translate the simlish language?
    Simlish is an artificial language which was first used in SimCopter and later in the Sims, the Sims 2 and the Sims 3. There is a dictionary at http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?&openItemID=item.2,item.43,item.61,item.41,item.23&threadID=8d04f2582c30dca38b0a2d07d28fb420&directoryID=2&startRow=1#5b3c9c18c3808d99f1e04c01fdb828ea
  • Options
    VALLEXVALLEX Posts: 3,113 New Member
    edited August 2010
    I thought it was gibberish too because sometimes I hear my sim saying a really nasty word in greek.Probably I overheard...
  • Options
    EmEmEmmaEmEmEmma Posts: 317 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Oh, no I don't think it's gibberish.

I downloaded some of the songs in simlish on my iPod (yes I am that sad!) and can now sing some of it in simlish on the normal version, my friends get all freaked out!

but I would like to learn more about the language.
  • Options
    ricmckinneyricmckinney Posts: 2,371 New Member
    edited August 2010
    EmEmEmma wrote:

I downloaded some of the songs in simlish on my iPod (yes I am that sad!) and can now sing some of it in simlish on the normal version, my friends get all freaked out!

It is just gibberish. :| Sorry. But it would be funny if they made it its own language with a grammar structure and everything. I don't think I'd learn it, but I'm sure some people would. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    HARRYwasHEREHARRYwasHERE Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited August 2010
    EmEmEmma wrote:

Well for the songs they pretty much find gibberish words that fit to the beat of the song.

I doubt EA would spend time to actually make it a language.
  • Options
    mistressbsbmistressbsb Posts: 38 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I think it would be cool to speak simlish with other simmers. Other ppl would b wondering what we r saying. I like the saying "fretashe futon"
  • Options
    gizmo86v6gizmo86v6 Posts: 249
    edited August 2011
    EmEmEmma wrote:

It is just gibberish. :| Sorry. But it would be funny if they made it its own language with a grammar structure and everything. I don't think I'd learn it, but I'm sure some people would. :mrgreen:
    Dead on arrival: Esperanto.
  • Options
    OnAvieOnAvie Posts: 1,611 Member
    edited August 2011
    I don't think it's gibberish; I've heard some repeated phrases, in simlish songs as well as in the game. From what I've gathered, "Sul Sul" means "Hello", "Nooboo" means "Baby", "Wush" means "Hush" etc.
  • Options
    fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited August 2011
    There was a full dictionary around, well several of them, when Sims 2 was the big thing. Sims 3 has less language than Sims 2 so people maybe just cant be bothered trying to decode it.

It's all gibberish anyway but in Sims 2 it was more expressive so meant a bit more to the player. I play with the sound down as I can't stand listening to the same loops over and over in this game.
  • Options
    SunnysunnysunsSunnysunnysuns Posts: 308
    edited August 2011
    It's gibberish since it would take so much more time and money to record several thousand lines of dialogue and translate them into 20+ languages... it would be too much data for one DVD. The conversations would also get repetitious after awhile, cue complaining. Contrary to popular belief, computers do not pass the Turing Test. (Before anyone asks, the Milo demo was faked.) Cleverbot can almost carry a seamless conversation in English, but it's not like it understands what it's talking about. It's simply writing out a pre-written reply when you type certain words and phrases into it. Computers are nowhere near the intelligence of fruit flies, much less humans. Physicist Michio Kaku writes in his book "Physics of the Future" that while we may have household robots and AI in the future, they will be specialized for only one task, and will react only to specific, clear, formal phrases.

Perhaps we'll have seamless English translations by The Sims 12.
  • Options
    SandrineDSandrineD Posts: 149
    edited August 2011
    IT will never happen since they made no effort to actually create a language structure. It could only ever be done as a fan effort but then that effort could all be destroyed by a new game release which would probably just ignore their efforts and churn out more gibberish nonsense.
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited August 2011
    no just jibbersih the sims is supossed have humor and but EA is creative enough with their anamations to make it so we can make out the just of what they are saying it doesnt take a rocket scientist i have no complaints on the matter and would rather play my game then worry about something so little and pointless
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited August 2011
    EmEmEmma wrote:

haha thats awesome and for the record the real artist do record the songs in jibberish
    i saw an interveiw of 3oh3 when they were talkng about how their single double vision was gonna be in the late night ep and they said that basically ea called them up and they just recorded it in jibberish lol
  • Options
    goodsumbyegoodsumbye Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Hi! no its not gibberish its a take on other languages check out wikipedia that will tell you. And I know the pixie lott songs in simlish and me and my friend sing it over the real song to freak people out ahahaha!!! :mrgreen: :thumbup:
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited February 2012
    The beauty of Simlish is that you can make it mean whatever you *want* it to mean. Sure, certain words and phrases have been accepted by the community to have meaning in general, such as "nooboo" for baby, "sul sul" and "dag dag" for hello and/or goodbye, but for the most part, the actual dialog is best left to the imagination. I always have my Sims carry on a conversation based on the thought bubbles I see over their heads...for example a siren icon can mean anything from "Cops are swine" to "Did you see the police car in front of the Goths the other night?"

It makes my game a lot more interesting for me to do it that way. I would not want to be bound by somebody elses's idea of what the words actually mean, seeing as how Simlish has such a limited vocabulary.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    CHEESEMONKEYSROOLCHEESEMONKEYSROOL Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2012
    EmEmEmma wrote:

Gasp! I do that too! I thought I was the only one :) I can sing Hot n Cold in Simlish and my friends keep telling me I should put 'Fluent in Simlish' on application forms when I start looking for jobs :lol:

And when they make the songs it isn't just gibberish. They take the song in a bunch of different languages and mix the words up for the artist to sing, but I guess that kinda makes it harder to learn about Simlish because the words could be anything and they don't stick to the same words for each song. Technically it isn't a proper language, but I wish it could be! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Marine6921Marine6921 Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    it's a mix of Russian and Greek played backwards. Though one word they say is a Greek bad word NOT played backwards.
  • Options
    SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited June 2012
    I don't think it's gibberish either (at least not completely), English is a pretty complex language since there's a word for pretty much everything! Other languages may not have as many (which is why you can sometimes pick the odd English word or name out of a string of Mandarin) since some words are shared and may have multiple meanings depending entirely on context.

With sims, if you get enough key words you can deduce what they're saying. For example: "Sul Sul" on it's own can mean 'hello' but sims might also say "Sul Sul Nooboo" when they put a baby in the crib. So "Sul Sul" can work like 'Aloha' as it means both 'hello' and 'goodbye' or in this case 'goodnight'. So there's definitely a set of keywords in there that don't change, but there are plenty of others that can bend with the context.

On the other hand, some of it's really broad. Like when they announce a promotion or pregnancy, I guess I'd have to look closer but it seems like they're always alternating between the same two phrases when they get a promotion, announce their engagement/pregnancy, etc. Not to mention, when asked about their day, they always give the same reply, unless they don't really know/like the person.

As for the music, that seems more like they want to sound like the actual song, so that people who know it in English can still sing along to it. It actually reminds me of Katakana in the sense that it takes English sounds and makes them workable in that language (in a metaphorical sense). I highly doubt EA intended that but that's what it seems like to me. Otherwise that's as close to gibberish as you're going to get.

In summary: The framework is there, it's just sloppy and incomplete. Your understanding of the situation depends more on the combination of the sim's body language and the pie menu option you just selected.
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited June 2012
    I remember reading somewhwere that simlish is a mixture of ruskie, mexican, and navajo.
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited June 2012
    I remember reading somewhwere that simlish is a mixture of ruskie, mexican, and navajo.

I heard that there was some tagalog in there too
  • Options
    rooroomay1509rooroomay1509 Posts: 2,693 Member
    edited June 2012
    they say a bad word in russian??? :shock: :lol: what is it? :shock:
  • Options
    Taffster74Taffster74 Posts: 530 Member
    edited June 2012
    From what I've heard, it's fractured-russian mixed with german and a couple other languages (possibly greek - not sure on that).
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited June 2012
    (bops skyscraperfan on the head) That's Spanish. There's no such thing as the "mexican" language...unless you count nuahtl.

And yes, it's a mixture of languages and nonsense sounds, but the actual vocabulary of words is very limited. I think there's only like 500, possibly as many as 1,000 all told.

As far as the songs are concerned, some of the words are in the original language, or at least enough so you can tell what song it is.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited June 2012
    I think some of it isn't gibberish and some of it is. 50/50 maybe?

I always thought it reminded me of korean, especially this song sounds very simlish to me. :-o
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top