Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Translation for Simlish

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2012
    As has been said, I think it's mostly gibberish, but some words do have a translation like "sul sul" which means hello. And, judging from one of the school cheers in TS2: University "murphy" means Llama :lol:

Oh, and I've heard some of it is French as well. And some people have heard the word "giggidy" :lol:
  • Options
    legoman11245768legoman11245768 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Nope its pretty much gibberish. The person recording it is just given an emotion or situation and says the first thing that comes to their mind

it's not "gibberish" Will Wright, the creator of the Sims, and the rest of the Maxis development team, knew they wanted dialog in the game but thought a real language would be too distracting. Originally, they looked at Navajo code breakers from World War II, but eventually developed a "gibberish" language with a combination of Latin, Ukrainian, Navajo, and Tagalog.
  • Options
    bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited July 2012
    Actually, there is a pattern to the words!

I've been doing a project of my own, and I've been working on trying to create a Simlish-to-English dictionary using Simlish versions of real-life songs compared to the English versions! There appears to be a pattern, although I'm having difficulty understanding the grammar with contractions, and slang patterns!

If I can ever figure out the true translations, I'll post it online somewhere! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited July 2012
    Why bother?

I mean, seriously, I hope we never get a "definitive" Simlish-English dictionary. The beauty of Simlish is that it's a universal language; even the songs people learn in Chinese, Egyptian or French all have the same flavor; the only thing that changes is the tune.

I suppose some people aren't comfortable unless everyone around them speaks *English*, including their Sims, but I think that's mostly a shortcoming of English-only speakers. Europeans are generally speaking, multilingual, depending on what country they come from and how many official languages it has.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    maxverra1997maxverra1997 Posts: 1,506
    edited July 2012
    It's not gibrish or something. Some words are but i reconize some words from dutch. And the caracters are different. It would be fun if ea made a dictionary. I would totally buy it. Than I'm going to transelate every word from the game.
    Some words have a meaning. You see them come back in every sims game
    I speak multiple languages: dutch (i'm dutch), english, france, germen, greek
  • Options
    EmoKittyEricaEmoKittyErica Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2012
    it isn't gibberish, this is very noticable since sims 2 when they had real songs, you can catch certain words, and now that there's showtime you can catch some words in the songs. It seems to be something like piglatin with the letters switched around.
  • Options
    asel22355asel22355 Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    VALLEX wrote:
    I thought it was gibberish too because sometimes I hear my sim saying a really nasty word in greek.Probably I overheard...

What are he say
  • Options
    CyniminCynimin Posts: 97
    edited September 2012
    Like many said, it isn't gibberish. The words come from a combination of languages, I can't remember where I found it but at one point I came across a list of all the languages used. Occasionally you catch some in Lnglish, I caught at least one in Latin, and so on.
  • Options
    silliecrazzysilliecrazzy Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    Its not gibbarish but there is no offical translaton of the language. Some people can translate it because if you listen the repeat the words like when they say hello and good bye it's the same word all the time. And the songs are real songs they just turn them into simlish. I believe google has a translation but the making if the game never came out with a translation of the language.
  • Options
    maxjor928maxjor928 Posts: 3,016 Member
    edited December 2012
    I was wondering... is there any way that there may be a dictonary of sorts that we can use to translate the simlish language?

I know that some say our little 'sim-beings' are just garbling along, but I think not. I have a feeling that like other languages across the world they have a system like chinese or japanese where a symbol can mean a word, and depending on how it is used or said, the words can change.

Any help or ideas of where I might be able to find a translator for Simlish to english?

Ivory

Well, it's not gibberish.

"Sul-Sul" means "Hello", for example.

"Shooflee" is a cry of annoyance (Similar to swearing)

"Gerbit" means "Llama".

"Ibzy bibz ochoy!" is a happy expression (Like "YEAH!") It even sounds like Itsy bits of Joy!

Nooboo is Simlish for infant or toddler .
  • Options
    maxjor928maxjor928 Posts: 3,016 Member
    edited December 2012
    Callum9432 wrote:
    As has been said, I think it's mostly gibberish, but some words do have a translation like "sul sul" which means hello. And, judging from one of the school cheers in TS2: University "murphy" means Llama :lol:

Oh, and I've heard some of it is French as well. And some people have heard the word "giggidy" :lol:

I though it was "Gerbits/Gerbids/Gurbits/Gurbids" (Or something like that), not "Murphy" but it's Simlish, so it's hard to tell.
  • Options
    LegofanyodaLegofanyoda Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    Erpe wrote:
    I was wondering... is there any way that there may be a dictonary of sorts that we can use to translate the simlish language?
    Simlish is an artificial language which was first used in SimCopter and later in the Sims, the Sims 2 and the Sims 3. There is a dictionary at http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?&openItemID=item.2,item.43,item.61,item.41,item.23&threadID=8d04f2582c30dca38b0a2d07d28fb420&directoryID=2&startRow=1#5b3c9c18c3808d99f1e04c01fdb828ea
    Why does the dictionary take so long to load? No matter what I'm on, iPod, IE, or Chrome... It just won't.
  • Options
    topster05topster05 Posts: 1 New Member
    > I know that some say our little 'sim-beings' are just garbling along, but I think not. I have a feeling that like other languages across the world they have a system like chinese or japanese where a symbol can mean a word, and depending on how it is used or said, the words can change.

I did some research and there are translations but they are hard to find i suggest using carls sims 3 guide and then in the similish section somebody puts down a link for website that has translations
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi topster05,

This thread is more than 5 years old, so I will be closing it.

Necroing aka resurrecting thread like this is against the Forums Rules.

Thank you for understanding :smile:

-Mage
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top