Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do simmers "hate" sims 3?

Comments

• Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited December 2011
    LauriApp wrote:
    I have formed the impression that some of the Sims 2 fans just never gave 3 a chance. Like Writen_Reg said they try to compare the whole Sims 2 series to the partially finished Sims 3 series. I personally prefer Sims 3 to Sims 2. Yes there are things that I wished were different, like the babies and resturants, but they are't deal breakers for me.

Hmm, I kind of agree. I can only go with what I have though; All EPs for 2 and 2 SPs (for now), All EPs for 3 and 1 SP. Sims 2 had humor, it had charm, it was far more fun, it was daft at times but it was and still is fun and wonderful to play. I have no glitches whatsoever, never did with Sims 2. Sims 3 has glitches, yes mine crashes so far but as I said it's probably my own fault. But I never had to download mods for Sims 2 to get it to stop lagging, to get rid of stupid random build up of cars/sims/crap. I do with 3. Sometimes my game doesn't even want to load, and I don't even have the new patch.
    I can play Sims 2 for hours and not have to worry about saving every half an hour because just in case my game crashes causing me to lose a lot of gameplay. I don't have to worry about my dogs and cats suddenly morphing into these disgusting creatures for a few seconds, I don't have to watch my toddler age up and turn into a monster because something in the game caused it.
    I've given Sims 3 plenty of chances, I still play and enjoy it. But I don't enjoy half as much as Sims 2 because I can't, I'm constantly on tenderhooks expecting something to go wrong. Yes, it's partially finished, but I have a partially finished Sims 2 series too.
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    MiloBeanMiloBean Posts: 770 New Member
    edited December 2011
    It seems like a lot of people think it's unfair to compare a partial series to a completed series. Totally understandable.
    Would it be more fair to compare the first five expansions of TS3 to the first five expansions of TS2?

• Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited December 2011
    MiloBean wrote:
    It seems like a lot of people think it's unfair to compare a partial series to a completed series. Totally understandable.
    Would it be more fair to compare the first five expansions of TS3 to the first five expansions of TS2?
    It would be much better to compare the remakes:
    World Adventures - Bon Voyage
    Ambitions - Open for Business
    Late Night - Nightlife
    I still don't think it is a very fair comparison, but it is better than comparing TS2 to the TS3.
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited December 2011
    Callum9432 wrote:
    MiloBean wrote:
    Late Night - Nightlife
    I still don't think it is a very fair comparison, but it is better than comparing TS2 to the TS3.

after installing family stuff in ts2 i relised it was just like gen
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Callum9432 wrote:
    MiloBean wrote:
    Late Night - Nightlife

after installing family stuff in ts2 i relised it was just like gen
    I agree, I've heard people say that before.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited December 2011
    I'm one of those who did give Sims 3 a chance. And... ultimately, in the end, I walked away from it. Too many glitches, too much work to get around them, too little content in each EP...

Let's face it. With the possible exception of World Adventures, every EP released in Sims 3 thus far has compared poorly to its Sims 2 counterpart. And that's only leaving an even worse taste in my mouth and the mouths of others.
  • Options
    synndarellasynndarella Posts: 135 Member
    edited December 2011
    Im not sure what settings you are using but there is a HUGE difference between 2 and 3 on my screen
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm one of those who did give Sims 3 a chance. And... ultimately, in the end, I walked away from it. Too many glitches, too much work to get around them, too little content in each EP...

Let's face it. With the possible exception of World Adventures, every EP released in Sims 3 thus far has compared poorly to its Sims 2 counterpart. And that's only leaving an even worse taste in my mouth and the mouths of others.
    I think Pets was much better than TS2 version as well, but Celebrities and Vampires in Late Night sort of ruined it for me, and Generations was just a glorified SP, so I can kind of agree with you.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited December 2011
    Callum9432 wrote:

I think Pets was much better than TS2 version as well, but Celebrities and Vampires in Late Night sort of ruined it for me, and Generations was just a glorified SP, so I can kind of agree with you.

I can't argue with the Pets part. I should have included it as a possible exception in my post :lol:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Callum9432 wrote:

I can't argue with the Pets part. I should have included it as a possible exception in my post :lol:
    I forgot about Ambitions as well. It is a bit more complicated though. I liked it, and it was good as a new idea, but when you compare it to OFB, it too, would go in the 's-crap pile' :lol:.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I won't be able to live with myself any longer if I don't apologize for that 'scrap' joke.

I think I got a little too Ambitious with it :lol:.
  • Options
    may_nilanmay_nilan Posts: 950 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Callum9432 wrote:
    I won't be able to live with myself any longer if I don't apologize for that 'scrap' joke.

Oh dear lord my sides are splitting. :roll:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    may_nilan wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:

I even tried to find the
    do do do doo
    do do do doo
    do do do doo
    do doo
    tune from when a sim dies, to play in my post, but they didn't have it on youtube.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2011
    I guess just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then so is Sims versions. I would never go back to Sims 2 - I actually found OFB the most tedious and horrible ep of all the Sims 2. So i guess it depends on what one likes.

I found the Vamps in Sims 2NL a total joke and cartoon character. I liked Uni and Seaasons, but the rest were garbage. We couldn't recolor anything and never got any furniture that matched. You had to have Simpe or the game was unplayable as that is the only way you could recolor things. It only seemed like more content after all the eps and sps were out. Let this game have as many eps and sps as Sims 2 and you will see it is equally full. The sims 2 eps had about the same as these do and both sps always have about 60 or so things in both games. We only got full ep in Sims 1 where their eps average 135 - 165 items, but sims 1 had no sps. So it balanced out more or less.

But I don't really care what others think to be honest, I know I was not very happy will Sims 2 and it's destructive DRM, so I don't care how much i like the two eps that I did like, I would NOT go back to Sims 2 if someone paid me. I disliked it so much I gave it all away, it was not even worth selling in my book. But that is me and my very bad experience.

I can understand if you guys are having bad experiences with Sims 3. I've never had problems with this game. It play perfectly. I have never had a crash or error code. I have never had problems with patches, downloading, uploading, anything but this site. Sims 2 site was better. This site practically Liam's us to death. Makes me want to pop my neighbor in the nose because unfortunately he looks a bit like Liam.

But Sims 3 - TO ME _ is great and I love all the eps but LN. I don't like the high rises and city, and that is the only reason I don't like LN.

But to each their own. If it is up to me and they keep making eps and sps as they have been doing I will continue to be a very happy simmer - finally.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    may_nilanmay_nilan Posts: 950 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Callum9432 wrote:
    may_nilan wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:

I even tried to find the
    do do do doo
    do do do doo
    do do do doo
    do doo
    tune from when a sim dies, to play in my post, but they didn't have it on youtube.
    Oh dear lord. :lol:
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited December 2011
    Actually, there is a way to compare TS2 and TS3 fairly. Compare both games with the the same number of expansions. Even if you compare TS2 and TS3 up to the fifth expansion, TS3 still doesn't have half the things TS2 had at this time. TS2 had eight expansions and Showtime is coming out in March, so we only have maybe two or three expansions left and then TS3 is done.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dark Raven, are you the same Simmer from Sims 2 that used to make all the gorgeous Gothic neighborhoods and sims with all those wonderful stories? If you are I remember you very fondly, and I also recall you did not like Sims 3 style the minute you heard about it, because of your very creative style of play. i was a big fan and your sims were very Unique, your hoods and stories was astronomical, and I swear had it not been for your work alone I would have never made it through Sims 2 with all my game problems. I had like every download you every put up.

But I always wondered how you made out and if i missed anyone from Sims 2 - it was indeed you. As I was in to that same Dark Shadows style, loved the house of 7 Gables, and early Salem type hoods. So i truly understand your dismay, as the game is extremely hard for anyone who prefers that era and style to enjoy it in Sims 3. This game is not kind to lovers of CC for sure. i have - believe it or not - learned how to tolerate no CC. But I own everything from the store - which helps. i have tons of content that works well, but that Gothic style and that era style is sadly lacking in here for sure.

So if you are the same Dark Raven - hello - long time no see and glad to see you again. If you are not - sorry you're not - as I miss my old Sims 2 friend and her wonderful creations. But hello either way.

Sorry everyone else, but I just had to see if that poster was my old friend. It's been a good 3 years since I have talked with her. So forgive me please. and Thank you for your tolerance.

If you guys do play Sims 2 and her stuff is still around, check it out. The best gothic and Early american stuff around came from Sims 2 Dark Raven.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited December 2011
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    I found the Vamps in Sims 2NL a total joke and cartoon character.

I love the TS2 Nightlife vamps. Mine certainly don't look like cartoon characters, and having to protect them from the sun makes them vulnerable, which to me makes them more endearing and fun to play.
    Ns6wP.png

LGIkF.png

But I do use A LOT of CC and mods, and I love SimPE.

I'm really hoping TS4 is better. I do love the Sims, but TS3 just isn't what I wanted. Then again, I never had any issues with TS2.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Phantomfles, by this time in Sims 2, we had just gotten Seasons and that was followed by two SPs in a row 6 weeks apart - Kitchen and bath and the Clothing ep for teens. I remember it was something like H& M stuff. But seeing EA has not yet given us even 1 sp since Pets you can't count those.

I already did the comparisom. Sims 2 did average 2 sps between every ep. Sims 3 only does 1 sp between eps. But Sims 3 has had the store active since the beginning. Sims 2 did not even get the Sims 2 store going til the third or was it the 4th year. I just recall the baby stuff I bought from it.

But stuff wise, they are about equal.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited December 2011
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Dark Raven, are you the same Simmer from Sims 2 that used to make all the gorgeous Gothic neighborhoods and sims with all those wonderful stories? If you are I remember you very fondly, and I also recall you did not like Sims 3 style the minute you heard about it, because of your very creative style of play. i was a big fan and your sims were very Unique, your hoods and stories was astronomical, and I swear had it not been for your work alone I would have never made it through Sims 2 with all my game problems. I had like every download you every put up.

But I always wondered how you made out and if i missed anyone from Sims 2 - it was indeed you. As I was in to that same Dark Shadows style, loved the house of 7 Gables, and early Salem type hoods. So i truly understand your dismay, as the game is extremely hard for anyone who prefers that era and style to enjoy it in Sims 3. This game is not kind to lovers of CC for sure. i have - believe it or not - learned how to tolerate no CC. But I own everything from the store - which helps. i have tons of content that works well, but that Gothic style and that era style is sadly lacking in here for sure.

So if you are the same Dark Raven - hello - long time no see and glad to see you again. If you are not - sorry you're not - as I miss my old Sims 2 friend and her wonderful creations. But hello either way.

Sorry everyone else, but I just had to see if that poster was my old friend. It's been a good 3 years since I have talked with her. So forgive me please. and Thank you for your tolerance.

If you guys do play Sims 2 and her stuff is still around, check it out. The best gothic and Early american stuff around came from Sims 2 Dark Raven.

Hey you!

I was wondering if you'd remember me. :D Let's just hope TS4 (eventually) is something we can both enjoy. I've really missed you and all the old gang from the BBS, and I want to get back into the game. It has been awful not to be as involved in this version.

Anyway, it was so nice to see you again, Writin_Reg!
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited December 2011
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Phantomfles, by this time in Sims 2, we had just gotten Seasons and that was followed by two SPs in a row 6 weeks apart - Kitchen and bath and the Clothing ep for teens. I remember it was something like H& M stuff. But seeing EA has not yet given us even 1 sp since Pets you can't count those.

I already did the comparison. Sims 2 did average 2 sps between every ep. Sims 3 only does 1 sp between eps. But Sims 3 has had the store active since the beginning. Sims 2 did not even get the Sims 2 store going til the third or was it the 4th year. I just recall the baby stuff I bought from it.

But stuff wise, they are about equal.

I wasn't adding the stuff packs in at all because well, they only contain stuff and (usually) don't contain any new interactions.

The TS2 store opened up mid 2008, and though it did contain some exclusive items like the TS3 store, the exclusive content was outweighed by all the content from expansions and stuff packs that you could buy individually.

However, if you only compare the expansions, TS3 is still lacking in fun interactive objects like TS2.
  • Options
    ThisSIMisCrazedThisSIMisCrazed Posts: 3,719 Member
    edited December 2011
    I don't think people "hate" The Sims 3 at all. At least I don't. I'm just extremely disappointed at how it is turning out so far. The quality has gone downhill from The Sims 2. The gameplay for The Sims 2 was much more in-depth, funny and quirky. We were able to do what we wanted without dumb quests or forced to have rabbithole props. They didn't try to shove store items down our throat or dumb down the gameplay to appeal to 12 year olds. Plus, the expansions were fantastic compared to what they have now. 40 bucks for a pack that adds nothing except a couple things they forgot in Late Night and crappy Facebook messaging? It seems like they don't have any idea what to do anymore. The base game was pretty good and they had plenty of opportunities to improve upon it but failed at every one. The Sims 2 on the other hand, got better every time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You are the same Raven. Yeah. Oh figures, i finally find you again and I have to leave for theraphy. Oh but your sims are better than ever. Just gorgeous.

Hopefully i see you again sometime. Keep creating - you are truly the best.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    dumb down the gameplay to appeal to 12 year olds.
    I agree with a lot ofwhat you said, except for this part. Here in the UK TS3 is PEGI 12+, so it is designed for 12 year olds as well. I can kind of see your point though.
  • Options
    ThisSIMisCrazedThisSIMisCrazed Posts: 3,719 Member
    edited December 2011
    Callum9432 wrote:
    dumb down the gameplay to appeal to 12 year olds.
    I agree with a lot ofwhat you said, except for this part. Here in the UK TS3 is PEGI 12+, so it is designed for 12 year olds as well. I can kind of see your point though.

I guess 12 is a bad number, then. :lol:

My point is that The Sims is a Teen game here in the US, but there is virtually nothing Teen about it anymore. Showtime seems like it was designed for girls who just stared middle school.