The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do simmers "hate" sims 3?

I started playing sims 3 in late June and I really love the game (except for the rabbit holes, STUPID *** bugs, unrealstic features like how their hair doesn't flow in the wind when on a motorcycle) and I like their EPs - even though I only have Am and [soon] LN.

Don't really get the point of Showtime, but whatever. Hopefully it'll turn out all right.

ANYWAY! I once wanted to get sims 2 pets but the graphics didn't look to good and neither did their EPs (now that I look back, I see that they're the same as S3) and I don't understand why people say S2 is better than S3?

Comments

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited December 2011
    I started playing sims 3 in late June and I really love the game (except for the rabbit holes, STUPID *** bugs, unrealstic features like how their hair doesn't flow in the wind when on a motorcycle) and I like their EPs - even though I only have Am and [soon] LN.

Don't really get the point of Showtime, but whatever. Hopefully it'll turn out all right.

ANYWAY! I once wanted to get sims 2 pets but the graphics didn't look to good and neither did their EPs (now that I look back, I see that they're the same as S3) and I don't understand why people say S2 is better than S3?

I have played both the Sims 2 and the Sims 3. There are parts of the Sims 2 that I did enjoy...in fact, I may end up getting the game again one of these days, if I can. I have to say that in some ways the gameplay *was* better in the Sims 2 than in the Sims 3.

The reason most people prefer the Sims 2 is because the game is more in-depth than the Sims 3 is. I prefer the Sims 3 because it suits my gaming style better; but that doesn't mean that I think TS2 isn't good. It just doesn't happen to be my cup of tea at the moment.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited December 2011
    It's a massive list of things. Pretty much, it's a combination of Sims 2 having more content per EP, having EPs that tended to be more fun, having a lot of things Sims 3 is still missing, the difference in the seriousness of glitches, and... Well, it goes on, but let's just say it's one massive load of ever-growing frustration.
  • Options
    beaglelover2008beaglelover2008 Posts: 4,758 Member
    edited December 2011
    Mostly because it doesn't work very well anymore... But otherwise, it would be so FUN.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2011
    Because they seem to forget all the problems we had with Sims 2 or how empty it was and how much they all complained until we had all the eps. They got spoiled by 9 eps and 14 sps and all kinds of free stuff and think they had so much more than they get now. As someone who did not forget and who played Sims 1 and 2 and now 3, I remember all the game breaking bugs and the tons of complaints about looking for the next ep the day after one had just come out because they were bored already. Just goes to prove they all have lives out side of the sims and I have no life. hehehe. Just like now, back then they asked for things they had had in sims one with all the eps and said the game should have came with everything they had in Sims 1.

We go through this with every Sims series - I can just imagine it will never change and no one will admit to how great the game was until the next base game comes out and has nothing in it, and has bugs as par for the course.

Just like they all scream if Maxis was in charge it would be better when the Maxis team is the one there that made Sims 1, and made Sims 2 sans Will Wright that is, and they also make Sims 3 and Sims social and Sims medieval, and MY Sims. Same people. Just get used to it and enjoy your game. As one who can recall ever ep and every bug we ever contend with I can assure you Sims 2 was not thought of very highly when they had hardly any eps and had jump bugs, and sound loop bugs, and disappearing sims, and sims getting stuck in cars. Never mind the problems with the game freezing but time still passing - same old same old. Just ignor it. i have given up. i tried to remind people, but as usual they think I am a nut because they have apparently forgotten. i don't see how, but apparently.

I on the other hand think EA is getting even better with each rendition and this one is far superior for the most part than the other two, considering is has only half the ep and a quarter of the sps Sims 2 did at this stage.

Unlike most other Simmers I sent Sims 2 packing the same week Sims 3 came out and never felt compelled to see it ever again. I like to move forward I guess. I did the same thing with Sims 1, only I waited a few weeks before I sent it packing. I actually did reconsider sending off Sims 1, but for the little boy who wanted it so bad. I was really wishing for it as I sometimes found Sims 2 unplayable, especially after BV came out. In fact I even tried to trade to get my Sims 1 back for the Sims 2 I was so frustrated with the way it kept destroying harddrives and DVD players. Sims 2 had a problem with high end equipment apparently as my friends had 4-5 year old pcs and had no problems at all. So go figure. So I can see why a lot of these fine folks had less problems than I did, bit the earlier bugs I mentioned before BV came out with Securom on it, a lot of simmers had those problems no matter how old or new the pc was.

But the mom of the little boy didn't want him to have Sims 2 because of woohoo. I understood. He was just 9 by then. Sims 1 did not have pregnancy or anything like that.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    wzw1177wzw1177 Posts: 1,140 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Actually I don't think simmers here "hate" the Sims 3. You should know one thing, most simmers on this forum have strong feelings about this franchise. We love the Sims, the Sims 2, also the Sims 3. So it's natural simmers have high expectations on this game. The so called "hatred" shows simmers really care about it.
  • Options
    MiloBeanMiloBean Posts: 770 New Member
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the bear.
    But, for the record, I play both,(depending on how the mood hits me)and I personally find TS2 much less frustrating than TS3.
  • Options
    3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    edited December 2011
    I have formed the impression that some of the Sims 2 fans just never gave 3 a chance. Like Writen_Reg said they try to compare the whole Sims 2 series to the partially finished Sims 3 series. I personally prefer Sims 3 to Sims 2. Yes there are things that I wished were different, like the babies and resturants, but they are't deal breakers for me.
  • Options
    VRStevensonVRStevenson Posts: 4,396 Member
    edited December 2011
    I unfortunately did not get to play sims 1 or 2, but i think what i hear the most from ppl who prefer sims 2 is there was more humor and charm to the game. now, i dont know the personally but that is just what seems to be the biggest disappointment. And things like the ever-swaddled babies and no toddler to toddler interactions and such...seems like an oversight when one of the big draws to the game is raising families. Many just straight up skip the baby stage because they really are quite boring.

• Options
    IvinoraIvinora Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited December 2011
    I started playing Sims 2 again short while ago
    I wonnit to do it right by slowly installing expension packs in the order they came out cause i kept hearing well people keep getting spoiled by having everything in Sims 2 and nothing in Sims 3

To me graphics =/= playstyle lets make this clear, i don't believe that games are bad cause they don't look good. I get that some ppl don't get attracted to dated games. But that just makes me wonder if you had a PS1 and you loved lets say Tomb Raider, and you play them again now. Are the graphics stopping you from enjoying it?

Now here's what i like/liked about Sims 3:
    +Being able to change colour on your items and make them look like you wonna.
    +Open World, and i'm one of the few that doesn't hate the Rabbit holes they have their charm.
    + Building a house is abit easyer
    Those are in my eyes the changes i loved the most.
    What i don't like:
    -Bugs and glitches (and idk why but ever since LN i have been getting to many)
    -How sims look? (In sims 2 yes they don't look as attracted but i don't have problems making eich sim look dif. then the last :/ wich i really cannot seem to do in this one, they always somewhat look alike even with other make-up, skin defaults ect.).

And that first one is why i gave up on the series sadly, I have alot of other hobby's and a job to maintain, everytime i had time and felt like playing sims, i ended up having to fix something before i could actually play it again :/ I do like the comunity for fixing my problems but it annoys me cause they aren't the one getting the money... .

Sims 2 well its alot like sims 3 with the downsides of what i +'d for Sims 3 but that's it the animation is more fun to watch for sims 2 (atleast it is for me).
    And to me the expension packs really do feel like they give you MORE then sims 3.
    I played both the base game for Sims 3 and sims 2 now and i do admid sims 3 feels like it had more to it BUT like i +'d, i feel this is BECAUSE AND ONLY BECAUSE you can colour your furnishings/wallpapers. Other then that basegames are about the same really You do have alot more jobs to go with on Sims 2 though... .

Now outside of basegame, I installed the Uni. one a few days ago and here is where i started to feel that the Sims 2 really felt more complete on expension packs, I always got dissepointed fast on sims 3 (i am not joking when i say some like LN got me bored after a day, WA got me intrested for a few weeks though so i do feel they did do well with that. though alot of people had too many bugs coming with it). But i do remember going like oh can i do this? then go oooooh i can't :(.

So yeah this is kinda my vieuw on Sims 2 and Sims 3 maybe i'll give sims 3 another try ? though i doubt it, i do keep lurking in forums see how things are (hoping they'd improve). But for now I have to say i haven't felt the spark for Sims 3 since WA, wich is ashame if you ask me.

But to me Sims 3 so far is turning into my personal FFXIV had high hopes but failed to give them to me and ever since been the baddest apple in the bunch of the series P:
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited December 2011
    Some like soda and some like tea get the point. :wink:

As for me well I get the impression there milking the crap out of this and have forgotten what made the previous versions good like a simple diving board or game tables.

Yes they built it but we the fans made it famous.
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited December 2011
    I don't hate it. I'm disappointed with it, but I try to tolerate it. I mean, I want to like this game so much, but I don't know, something essential is missing. And I can't place it. :(
  • Options
    LukeysEmmyLukeysEmmy Posts: 746 Member
    edited December 2011
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Because they seem to forget all the problems we had with Sims 2 or how empty it was and how much they all complained until we had all the eps. They got spoiled by 9 eps and 14 sps and all kinds of free stuff and think they had so much more than they get now. As someone who did not forget and who played Sims 1 and 2 and now 3, I remember all the game breaking bugs and the tons of complaints about looking for the next ep the day after one had just come out because they were bored already. Just goes to prove they all have lives out side of the sims and I have no life. hehehe. Just like now, back then they asked for things they had had in sims one with all the eps and said the game should have came with everything they had in Sims 1.

We go through this with every Sims series - I can just imagine it will never change and no one will admit to how great the game was until the next base game comes out and has nothing in it, and has bugs as par for the course.

Just like they all scream if Maxis was in charge it would be better when the Maxis team is the one there that made Sims 1, and made Sims 2 sans Will Wright that is, and they also make Sims 3 and Sims social and Sims medieval, and MY Sims. Same people. Just get used to it and enjoy your game. As one who can recall ever ep and every bug we ever contend with I can assure you Sims 2 was not thought of very highly when they had hardly any eps and had jump bugs, and sound loop bugs, and disappearing sims, and sims getting stuck in cars. Never mind the problems with the game freezing but time still passing - same old same old. Just ignor it. i have given up. i tried to remind people, but as usual they think I am a nut because they have apparently forgotten. i don't see how, but apparently.

I on the other hand think EA is getting even better with each rendition and this one is far superior for the most part than the other two, considering is has only half the ep and a quarter of the sps Sims 2 did at this stage.

Unlike most other Simmers I sent Sims 2 packing the same week Sims 3 came out and never felt compelled to see it ever again. I like to move forward I guess. I did the same thing with Sims 1, only I waited a few weeks before I sent it packing. I actually did reconsider sending off Sims 1, but for the little boy who wanted it so bad. I was really wishing for it as I sometimes found Sims 2 unplayable, especially after BV came out. In fact I even tried to trade to get my Sims 1 back for the Sims 2 I was so frustrated with the way it kept destroying harddrives and DVD players. Sims 2 had a problem with high end equipment apparently as my friends had 4-5 year old pcs and had no problems at all. So go figure. So I can see why a lot of these fine folks had less problems than I did, bit the earlier bugs I mentioned before BV came out with Securom on it, a lot of simmers had those problems no matter how old or new the pc was.

But the mom of the little boy didn't want him to have Sims 2 because of woohoo. I understood. He was just 9 by then. Sims 1 did not have pregnancy or anything like that.

*applauds this post* I couldn't have put it better if I tried. :)

I totally see where you're coming from, OP; there are certain users who just moan on and on about the game and it does make you wonder why they bother coming here :/
  • Options
    zekrayatzekrayat Posts: 1,855 Member
    edited December 2011
    Most don't.

You have to remember that ideas and feedback is full of people trying to make a case for the game going in a particular direction, so often it's going to seem like they hate what's currently there when really, they just want to see some changes or an idea carried out. The obvious comparison for TS3 is TS2, so I think that's why people bring it up constantly as a model for what they want. I personally prefer TS3 to TS2 but I'm sure even I've had a whine that makes it look like I didn't (over the clone-face-townie glitch, in case anyone was wondering. Dear god do I hate that face.)

Most people who own the game will probably never come on the forum, unless they have a bug and need help, so you are far more likely to see the person whose game crashes whenever anyone within a ten mile radius thinks of a horse than the person whose game has no noticeable problems. That leaves a lot of Simmers out there who don't have a problem with the game, whose voices just aren't as loud as the one posting "WHY DO MY PETS HAVE NO FACE?! HOW DARE YOU NOT INCLUDE WEATHER?!?!?" in every thread.

There are a couple of people who genuinely seem to hate everything about TS3 and only want a remake of TS2 (and yeah, they can be a little irritating when they start off on a rant in threads that WEREN'T initially about how awful TS3 is), but I think they are rare. You don't see them that often unless you go on certain threads.

Finally, preferring TS2 doesn't mean you hate TS3. I like to think nobody would spend lots of money on a game they genuinely hated.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited December 2011
    I like TS3 for what it is, I like TS2 for what it is. There is no comparing for me. These to me are 2 different games. I play both. I boyght Pets for TS2 and never installed it, it just did not appeal to me. I bought TS3 pets and installed it and play it whenever I play. So there are good and bad in both. I go back and play TS1 sometime for it's charm. I think that just like music, some like pop, others jazz and my favorite soul. But, that's just what it is. You like some and some you don't. I like soul music, but there are some country tunes I also like. So I think of it in the same way. When I want to play a certain way I play TS2 when another way, TS3 and another way, I play TS1. just like food I do not want to eat the same thing everyday. Just preferences
  • Options
    LOLitzmeLOLitzme Posts: 485 Member
    edited December 2011
    I've only ever had one problem with the sims 3, and that was my own fault (too much CC :roll: ). Anyway I think the sims 3 is good in my opinion. And Writin_Reg put the situation perfectly. :)
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited December 2011
    LauriApp wrote:
    I have formed the impression that some of the Sims 2 fans just never gave 3 a chance. Like Writen_Reg said they try to compare the whole Sims 2 series to the partially finished Sims 3 series. I personally prefer Sims 3 to Sims 2. Yes there are things that I wished were different, like the babies and resturants, but they are't deal breakers for me.
    I have formed that impression as well. When you say "comparing the finished Sims 2 to th partially finished Sims 3", I don't think tnhat is the correct way to put it. Comparing TS2 to TS3 is like comparing a tree to a plant, or Call of Duty games to Battlefield games. It can't and shouldn't be done. They are two different things. They have the same genre and theme, but that doesn't make them comparable. You wouldn't compare Harry Potter to the Wizard of Oz, but they both have magic as a main theme.
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Unlike most other Simmers I sent Sims 2 packing the same week Sims 3 came out...
    I still play TS2 sometimes, but not because I think it is superior. There are just a few reasons why I still play it, and some of them could still happen in TS3:
    1. Seasons - especially at this time of year, because I like my sims to celebrate a white Christmas.
    2. OFB - I like being able to own my own business.
    3. University - I like playing through the University stages
    4. Restaurants and Shops - I like open shops and being able to talk with other sims inside shops. I also like having ot buy clothes for my sims.
    5. My Sims - This is the biggest reason, I like to play with my legacy family sometimes. I'm only on the 2nd generation because I started about 1 month before TS3 came out.

I like both TS2 & TS3, they are both better than the other one, and both have weak points and strong points.
  • Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited December 2011
    I have to admit that I do "hate" TS3. Since I loved TS1 and TS2 so much, and the game has been my favorite hobby for so many years, I have tried and tried to make myself like it, but I just can't.

There are a lot of things that really bother me, like the rabbit holes, teleporting cars, larva babies, no weather, no playable restaurants, shops, beaches, etc., and I really don't want story progression (I'm a control freak) or care about the open neighborhood (my TS2 loading screens are short and don't bother me at all). But the main two things that keep me from playing TS3 and keep me playing TS2 instead are custom content and the Sims themselves.

I have never been able to become attached to the TS3 Sims. I can't stand the way they look (even with custom content and custom sliders), and I don't like the way they move or act. Their facial expressions seem even more exaggerated and cartoony than TS2, and they seem very robotic to me. They also don't need me or look at the camera the way TS2 Sims do. I simply don't find them endearing or care what happens to them, and becoming attached to my characters while getting caught up in their lives makes the game for me. It's what keeps me playing TS2 after all these years.

I also love to get creative with custom content, and I have much better CC (unique meshes - not just recolors) available for TS2. I actually like the way my TS2 game looks much better than the cartoony, over-saturated look of TS3. The objects (and Sims, for that matter) look much more detailed in my TS2 game. I have a high-end graphics card and loads of CC, and I love how realistic I can get TS2 to look. The lighting and other issues make it impossible to get the same level of detail in TS3. Don't believe me? Just compare base game objects like the burglar alarm in both games. The TS2 objects look much more detailed up close, and I find I can't play without that, even though I would like to have the TS3 water and sky in TS2.

So I'm sorry to say it, but for the way I play, TS3 is just a disaster. :(

• Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited December 2011
    I agree. I only played the original sims then in late 09 bought Sims 3. About a year ago, after hearing all of this complaining about how Sims 2 was better, I bought the sims 2 and every expansion except Pets and Bon Voyage. It was restricting, the sims didn't look realistic at all, and the sims were way too hard to take care of. I really didn't like the lack of traits and moodlets. The Sims 3 is much better in my opinion.
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say I hate Sims 3, as I do enjoy it when it lets me play (it crashes, but I think it could be a piece of CC that's causing it). Anyways, I don't like some of the changes EA are making to the game. The new EP just, I dunno I'm just irked by parts of it. Other parts of the EP look fun/great, but there are certain things that kind of ruin the idea and fun for me.
    I've been playing Sims 2, and all the love I had for that game has all come back. There are so many things, little things, that are in Sims 2 that make it slightly better than Sims 3 (my opinion).

I love playing both games, but at the moment I'm taking a break from 3 and going back to 2.
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited December 2011
    first of all if we hated the game we wouldn't play it

i've never seen anyone say they hate it
    and you said you havent played it so you have to find out for youself and the graphics really arent that bad in my opinion the sims look more normal in ts2 but either way thats a real poor excuse as to why you havent tried it out. people can explain and explain but you have to see for yourself.

most of us that arent happy with it are more so dissappointed in the game
    i think ts3 is a good game its just NOT and i repeat NOT EA's best work at all
    so heres my opinion
    the errors and glitches were never this bad for me atleast
    and the game play was better b.c it had the humor and the fun and the sillyness that i miss so much

there were so many interactions that EA took out.
    so of my favs include

if you went out on a date you actually could see inside the place you had a waiter/waitress and there were a ton of interactions like surprise engagment and the sims all around would clap
    you could feed eachother your food
    play footsie(i believe) and a ton more
    dating and romance is lacking this time around for sure

also with me every new ep they would announce i would be so excited for
    but now i'm kinda like ehhh... i wonder what isnt gonna be in the game

they released so much more items and interactions in the ts2 games too

they have gotton lazy yes i said it lazy and its just real dissapointing
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited December 2011
    Both games have bugs. Both games have pluses and minuses.

For me, I'm reconsidering reinstalling TS2 because I miss the humor. TS3 just doesn't have it and everything feels more hollow and invincible. I realized that when I bought the base for TS3 there would be little. I was ok with waiting and figured the ep's and sp's would flesh out the game. They did do that indeed. More objects were added and new interactions and experiences yet 5 ep's in and the new stuff still feels... I don't know how to describe it but empty. I absolutely LOVE the open neighborhood of TS3 and much prefer it to the loading screens of TS2. I LOVE the total customization of pretty much anything and everything. It's awesome how you can use the couch 30+ times and it feels different every time. These 2 things alone keep me here. I really do miss the humor though, and think of reinstalling TS2 all of the time just so I can play it for an hour and laugh again. Maybe after Christmas is over I'll get on installing it again when I have more time. TS3 really has yet to make me giggle the way TS2 did. I also remember doing the legacy challenge in TS2 and my families having to have more than 1 child because there was always a fear that your heir could die. In TS3, after the first few generations trying the challenge I gave up on siblings because there was no fear. Everyone just dies of old age. I'm sure a lot of people love this, but I find for me, it's making the game pretty boring. Combine the lack of "accidents" with no humor and meh. I've had ambitions since the day it came out and I was super excited to have a meteor death and explosions. Except explosions rarely kill anyone and I've only had ONE meteor, ever and it didn't hit anyone. :? Our simmies are too smart for death now and it's making my death flower bush pretty pointless.

Anyway, I still don't hate TS3, I'm disappointed with a couple of aspects and I'm disappointed with the digital/social direction they're going to take the game with Showtime but I still think EA needs to look at TS2 and add some things to TS3 that we're missing and not just at the objects but at the actual game play and give us some of our giggles back. :D
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    zekrayatzekrayat Posts: 1,855 Member
    edited December 2011
    and you said you havent played it so you have to find out for youself and the graphics really arent that bad in my opinion the sims look more normal in ts2 but either way thats a real poor excuse as to why you havent tried it out. people can explain and explain but you have to see for yourself.

To be fair, I don't think they really need an 'excuse' for not spending money on an old game they already have (and enjoy) the sequel to. I think the OP was just saying why they'd never played it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    kirkuk wrote:

To be fair, I don't think they really need an 'excuse' for not spending money on an old game they already have (and enjoy) the sequel to. I think the OP was just saying why they'd never played it.

I once wanted to get sims 2 pets but the graphics didn't look to good

thats what she said i could careless if she buys the games or not but saying you dont want them b.c of the graphics is not an excuse in my opinion
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LauriApp wrote:

i have been playing the games since sims 1
    so i was beyond excited about them continuing to sequel

when i got the base game i was oh cool you can customize everything oh cool we have cars right off the bat oh cool you have bikes etc

WA comes out even though it was different from BV i was still pretty content

but once more and eps came out i was like what are they thinking ?!?

we get boarding schools instead of university
    we get more and rabbit holes instead of venues
    we get this stupid real estate stuff instead of OFB
    we get showtime that was supossed to be about "life in a different format" and " never seen before"

i think they have gotton real lazy and i'm just dissapointed
    but i definatly gave the series a chance i mean i wanted it
    but i guess i just wasnt expecting what i got
  • Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited December 2011
    LauriApp wrote:

Ditto...!!