Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How family friendly should The Sims be?

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,717 Member
    Chungy wrote: »
    I was never really allowed to play any of the Sims games until I turned 18, not even TS4. My mom was an avid player of the console versions of the Sims games, but just wasn't comfortable with me playing them on my own. Nowadays, I wouldn't mind if future games went in either direction as long as it's still fun. I'm sure mods for those who do want a little more spice will suffice as they've always done.

@Chungy If it's on the internet, there is no way to stop the option for becoming corrupt. If I were a parent, I would do the same- You have very smart parents.

If the Sims franchise want it to be safe for kids, they would have to design a separate game that can not be modded, like the console version.
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited September 2023
    Something else (let us know in the comments below)
    I voted for something else…

I do not want more adult themes, and I don’t think adult themes make games, tv shows, or movies more interesting. In fact, I lose interest in media that gets to caught up in that stuff.

One of my favorite mythical creatures, the merfolk, have been associated with many adult themes, but I do not like merfolk because someone associated them with that.

I like merfolk because they represent a mysterious and magical being that lives in an undersea world that is mysterious, chaotic, and serene. They are the mythical creatures that best represent the oceans that cover 70% of the Planet Earth, and we know more about outer space than the oceans! The allure of merfolk for me has always been the wonders of the world they come from.

So, I don’t want more adult themes. I don’t know if I want things to be more spicy either.

I have used MCCC to fine tune some of the gameplay. I turned off the autonomous serenades, and I used MCCC to remove a lot of the autonomous flirting… I’ve had my sims halfway across the neighborhood que the flirty introduction with a random sim on the console. Meaning, some of the autonomous flirting was really unusual…

That being said, I absolutely enjoyed the spicy gameplay with a non-commital sim in Henford-on-Bagley when I played on the console.

I had one of my mermen get involved with a premade that came with cottage living. She ended up in the middle of a love triangle that made things very interesting. Officially, she was in a relationship with my merman, but she also had a tendency to flirt with two other male sims and attempted it with an unflirty sim that knocked on the door of their home after she moved in with my merman.

I remember having my merman brake up with her and he was smiling when he broke up. My memory is kinda vague, but I remember him having an angry moodlet after catching her cheating right after he proposed to her. He had multiple happy moodlets… I think he might’ve been energized, flirty, and/or sad… the point is, he had the most interesting mix of moodlets that made him happy enough to be smiling when he broke up with her. When the happy moodlet passed, after the brake up, he was angry. Like, if there was something spicy about the game that would be interesting, it would be having a sim navigate their vast range of emotions and sentiments while in a relationship with a sim like that premade.

I didn’t need adult themes to distract from that complexity, and the tendency to put her relationship at risk fit her traits.

Now, for sims that go on their first date… I’ve started to either outright delete or “force to leave” sims that try to interject themselves into a romantic conversation between sims on a date… like, the social event is active and etc… these strangers were not invited, their interjection into the date is unwelcome, adult sims, not young adult sims, disrupting dates between teens while also being complete strangers is off putting, and the dating sims do not have the traits that would make this ok. Like, if a sim involved in the date had the evil, non-commitment, unflirty, jealous, romantic, maybe the alluring romantic aspiration trait, or some other trait that would lead a sim to actually get involved in those situations… maybe it would make sense… but the tendency for townies to interject themselves uninvited is frustrating. It often doesn’t make sense and it happens way too often.

So, I don’t think I have an exact answer. There are situations where I would expect a sim to make a mess of their romantic and friendly relationships Because of their traits, but there are times that the traits don’t align with the situation created when a townie decides to interject themselves where they don’t belong (or it happens so often that it becomes annoying).

All of that being said, I am wondering if my merfolk having the alluring trait is causing townies to be “attracted” to them. I’m not exactly against merfolk having an alluring attribute that gets the attention of townies… I mean, one of the most common tales about merfolk is how they use their looks to lure in sailors to drown them… but c’mon. Can I have one date that doesn’t involve a sim interjecting themselves into the couples romance. And if they do decide to interject themselves… can it be a parent, family member, or a townie that is closer to the same age as the couple… I’m not exactly against a sim trying steal a date if they are the same age. Depending on the combination of traits a sim has, that could be very interesting. And please, you do not need adult themes to “enhance” those interactions.
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited September 2023
    I do want to add… the other 2 sims the Cottage Living Premade interacted with did seem jealous of my merman and often watched the couple from afar… that relationship was by far the most interesting and complex triangle of relationships I’ve seen in the game, and because it happened while I was on the console, it was something that happened without mods and cc.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,153 Member
    I like it just as it is.
    It's good now. Sims 4 no longer looks like it caters to 5 to 8 year olds. I like it as PG Teen. ;)
  • Options
    BelalucinaBelalucina Posts: 863 Member
    edited September 2023
    There is already too much spice and crime in The Sims to be family friendly!
    I like it the way it is, but I don't consider it to be a family friendly game. It's more for teens and up, and I think that's how it's marketed. So it's fine the way it is? Lol.

When I think family friendly I think for young kids. I don't think young kids are playing the sims. Whether or not they should be is up to their parents.

ETA: I guess the question was whether or not it should be family friendly or not. It's rated for teens so let's keep it for teens. It would be a different game in whichever direction you went with it (more kid friendly, or more adult). I think how it is now is most balanced to suit most players. I don't think it needs more adult content. And as many have pointed out, there's mods for that.
    Post edited by Belalucina on
    Just in case no one has told you today, you are loved. <3
  • Options
    SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    I would actually like it if there were more modest options, both in personality of the sims and in wardrobe. My kids' mom always said, "Modesty is the best policy." And in my own life, since we've been married and had kids, she has influenced me to be more modest. I think it makes everything in my life easier to manage and more meaningful.

In Sims, I don't mind there being party-options too. But modesty doesn't really have strong representation. There's a lot of quirk, but not enough proper lifestyle. I would want it to be more balanced so I can play sims that value simanity a bit more and not to be so selfishly driven.
  • Options
    mollie1998mollie1998 Posts: 446 Member
    There is already too much spice and crime in The Sims to be family friendly!
    I love my sims family because my sims are a mommy and a baby
  • Options
    hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    I like it just as it is.
    I don't want to see drunk Sims or them doing anything sexually vulgar or gory. There's no entertainment in that, it's not interesting, it brings nothing to the game, it's just graphic content for the sake of it that media everywhere is already full of. This is why The Sims is wonderful and unique, because its level of mature content is fine for a 12yo to enjoy all the way up to the elderly. It should be left exactly like that. Catering to just a select few who enjoy mature content isn't the way to go at all when it should be accessible for anyone. Also, there would be an issue of little kids playing because of its mature content we'd be trying to steer them away from.

No, just leave The Sims as it is.
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'd like it more spicy/adult and would totally buy an adult pack!
    I do like it as it is but I'd be up for making it spicier. Um, I do have some more complex themes in my game though I don't play with mods. I think I play with all types of sims through different phases of life and it's not always like that but some of them ... do not struggle socially. Sure, I play with some nice happy families but some of them wind up that way for a reason. Cough cough.

Anyway, I'd be interested in content related to that theme. I prefer romance over more violence for sure. I mean, I don't go that far into gothic themes but I have a few active vampires. Wolfgang Munch is a mob boss and is not a nice dude. I've had a few other Sims on the more challenging side of life. Then, I go back to the happy cheery families but not all the time. I like having flexibility to explore different themes. Erm, a lot of them do because I tend to play fairly social Sims.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,555 Member
    I like it just as it is.
    Yes, you could have a toggle on/off option but kids, for a dare, will toggle all the spicy options on.
  • Options
    pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 541 Member
    I like it just as it is.
    I like it the way it is. Mind you, I have played with mods in the past...and don't now.
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I don't care, I use mods to make the game more spicy/violent/adult.
    I use just one spicy mod, and I use it strictly for comedic purposes. I won't eleborate further, other than to say it creates some very funny scenarios lol
  • Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    I'd like it more spicy/adult and would totally buy an adult pack!
    I would like TS1/TS2 level of humor back, to make the game more spicy. I wouldn't mind an adult pack either.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000