Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Highschool graduation causing other teens to age up.

GymeaLillieGymeaLillie Posts: 106 Member
The high-school graduation ceremony ages up other teen Sims. I am a rotational player - surely I am not the only one. It is quite distressing seeing my other teen Sims being forced to grow up without properly completing highschool, having their own birthday, or experiencing their own graduation traditions. Is there any way to stop other teens aging up?

(I am sorry if I have posted this incorrectly or done something wrong. I am an older player who hasn't used any kind of forum in a long time).

Comments

• Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    I am a rotational player too, but I have never had one of my played teen Sims age up autonomously. Maybe that's because I have enabled aging up only for the played houshold.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Gagea wrote: »
    I am a rotational player too, but I have never had one of my played teen Sims age up autonomously. Maybe that's because I have enabled aging up only for the played houshold.

I have enabled "aging up" only for the played household also. However, at the graduation ceremony, several Teens become Young Adults. The aging preferences make no difference. Various teens are aged up.

This isn't a problem unique to me, various websites discussing the graduation ceremony mention it. My question is: Is there any way to stop it?

• Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    You cannot stop it without mods @GymeaLillie . I also play rotationally and use my graduation_noaging mod to avoid it:
    https://www.seebee.de/sims4me/index.php?list=20
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    edited February 3
    83bienchen wrote: »
    You cannot stop it without mods @GymeaLillie . I also play rotationally and use my graduation_noaging mod to avoid it:
    https://www.seebee.de/sims4me/index.php?list=20

So mods are the only answer for something that shouldn't be beyond our control. Nothing changes after 24 years then. Thanks for answering, appreciated.

(Edit) P.S. Sorry, maybe not the whole 24 years. Just very disappointed. It's a big thing for rotational players. I will try the mod.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited February 3
    In the comments of this article about the graduation is said by the author that aging up happens even when aging is disabled in the options -.-
    This is so annoying and I think they don't even warn you about this (?)
    I'm so glad the Boys dropped out of school before graduation. I would have been devastated.
    db65e350ceb2261cd1a56436b9e2b3c12fd5d4d2.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    Bless you, @83bienchen, it worked. Thank you for doing what the game makers should have done.
  • Options
    You're welcome, @GymeaLillie.
    I can totally understand how this issue is pure frustration for rotational players.
    I had to go back to an older save when it first happened in my game. There also is no warning at all.
    Now that I think of it, skipping the graduation ceremony might be a workaround for Vanilla players - if you are willing to sacrifice the graduation event, that is.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    edited February 3
    83bienchen wrote: »
    You're welcome, @GymeaLillie.
    I can totally understand how this issue is pure frustration for rotational players.
    I had to go back to an older save when it first happened in my game. There also is no warning at all.
    Now that I think of it, skipping the graduation ceremony might be a workaround for Vanilla players - if you are willing to sacrifice the graduation event, that is.

I am tired of skipping pack features because of problems. That really is something that has had to be done for years. We pay for these features. Sorry to sound so negative - I actually put up with a lot in silence, without mods. However I recently added up how much I have paid over the last 24 years. Involuntary life "jumps" tipped me over the metaphoric edge.

• Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    Bless you, @83bienchen, it worked. Thank you for doing what the game makers should have done.

As far as I’m concerned, Bienchen does all the things the game makers should have done. 😁 I for one would have rage-quit playing when whims became wants if it hadn’t been for her Whim Overhaul.

Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Yeah, I find it annoying too as I also make background sims too! There are two things to keep in mind there:
    • Played sims will never be aged up for graduation ceremonies.
    • For unplayed sims, there's no in-game way to stop it.
      (well, except not going to the ceremony)

So, thank you for sharing the mod, @83bienchen . It's a lifesaver for rotational players!
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,975 Member
    edited February 4
    So, how do you graduate without going to the graduation? I play rotationally too, but keep aging off and haven’t taken any sins to graduation yet. I don’t use mods.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    So, how do you graduate without going to the graduation? I play rotationally too, but keep aging off and haven’t taken any sins to graduation yet. I don’t use mods.

@SheriSim57

I never used mods either, until now. This one is a huge issue for me, so this is my first exception.

I have just had my first teen graduate since getting the pack. She was sent her graduation certificate early for some reason, but from what I have read that doesn't always happen. However, she was Valedictorian and had rehearsed her speech, so I really wanted her to go. Plus, this is a game feature I've paid for and I am tired of skipping features due to glitches or oversights.

Regarding "but keep aging off" - that is the problem. Even if we have aging off, some teens will age up at graduation.

The mod was really easy, just put that one file in the mods folder. I think you can just put it in when you have a graduation and leave it out at other times, if that helps.

@EgonVM Thanks for this information too. A lot of my households that have been played are marked "unplayed" by me on purpose for a gameplay reason. I don't play every single household each round, so I need to age up "unplayed" households for one week at the end of every round to make everyone age evenly. Households with key gameplay moments get played, but others wait until another round. From what you have explained, I have caused teens without an upcoming birthday to be at risk. So at graduation, I could go through every single household with a teen and mark them "played", then change it all back afterwards. I guess only homeless townies would appear at the ceremony? This mod file takes a lot less time just to pop in when I need it. I appreciate the explanation though. I haven't seen that mentioned before.
    Post edited by GymeaLillie on
  • Options
    You can totally put the mod in just shortly before the ceremony starts and delete it after graduation.
    It's like with the mod that gets rid of pimples that have been stuck on a young adult Sim.

If you don't attend graduation, I had it happen that my Sims didn't get the graduation traits and/or diploma. That might be an unrelated issue though. The Sims 4 isn't great for rotational gameplay.
    I do have quite some Sims struck with midlife crisis goals and no midlife crisis to complete (also no milestone for getting through Midlife Crisis) because I rotated away from the family with the midlife crisis moodlet still active. I will certainly not do that again because it bothers me a lot.

Back to graduation: I did have issues with the graduation ceremony not loading at all when I set all teens in my save to 'played' before the ceremony. That was before I decided to do a mod for it, though, so it's been a while.

• Options
    Thank you all for the information about graduation and @83bienchen the information about Midlife crisis too! I personally would rather not have the game play features than have to worry about the glitches and bugs with them. I have had to cheat away lifestyles that my sims were not supposed to develop. And I cheat my dirt pile plants all the time now. I may just have to break down and figure out how to add and take out mods like your graduation one when I decide to have sims graduate. I was trying not to get into mod use, But so many of the features they are making in the sims 4 now are so bugged. A few expansions ago, I could download new expansions, and not worry about anything. With For rent it’s been unplayable with my rotations because I don’t want broken lots and things. I’m certainly going to have to think a bit before playing sims 5 when it comes out. I’ll be keeping a close eye on the competitors coming out, and how well and quickly the sims team are fixing the content for the sims 4. With them opening up the game free to people, and new people downloading broken packs that take months to fix, I can’t see how that is going to be a very positive thing for sims 5 going forward…..
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    @EgonVM Thanks for this information too. A lot of my households that have been played are marked "unplayed" by me on purpose for a gameplay reason. I don't play every single household each round, so I need to age up "unplayed" households for one week at the end of every round to make everyone age evenly. Households with key gameplay moments get played, but others wait until another round. From what you have explained, I have caused teens without an upcoming birthday to be at risk. So at graduation, I could go through every single household with a teen and mark them "played", then change it all back afterwards. I guess only homeless townies would appear at the ceremony? This mod file takes a lot less time just to pop in when I need it. I appreciate the explanation though. I haven't seen that mentioned before.

Yes, only teens generated randomly would age up.

The played and unplayed households is a different story. You can always use a birthday cake to age sims up earlier (bake a cake and add birthday candles), but I wouldn't make my played households into unplayed for several reasons:
    • Unplayed sims lose more relationships than played sims.
    • Unplayed sims may lose their mobile phone cover and umbrella preference.
    • Unplayed sims may be put in a NPC position (especially the unemployed ones). If the position requires a skill, they will get it. My retired sim once got into this predictament. She was then retired not from the business career, but from reflexionist career. Don't know how it is now, with Neighborhood Stories doing its things...
    • Building in unplayed households allows you building with infinite funds and no household inventory (like with community lots!). It could be a money exploit though...

The game has changed so much so I don't know a lot of unplayed effects, but essentially, unplayed sims tend to get reduced in their data so that the save file wouldn't get big. Thus unplayed sims seems to be meant for sims players doesn't care about...
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »

Yes, only teens generated randomly would age up.

The played and unplayed households is a different story. You can always use a birthday cake to age sims up earlier (bake a cake and add birthday candles), but I wouldn't make my played households into unplayed for several reasons:
    • Unplayed sims lose more relationships than played sims.
    • Unplayed sims may lose their mobile phone cover and umbrella preference.
    • Unplayed sims may be put in a NPC position (especially the unemployed ones). If the position requires a skill, they will get it. My retired sim once got into this predictament. She was then retired not from the business career, but from reflexionist career. Don't know how it is now, with Neighborhood Stories doing its things...
    • Building in unplayed households allows you building with infinite funds and no household inventory (like with community lots!). It could be a money exploit though...

The game has changed so much so I don't know a lot of unplayed effects, but essentially, unplayed sims tend to get reduced in their data so that the save file wouldn't get big. Thus unplayed sims seems to be meant for sims players doesn't care about...

I also noticed a couple of times when I marked played households as unplayed and then later put them back to played, that one sim in a family list her job, and with another household one of the sims career changed. The career change one was before neighborhood stories came out. My two rotational saves have neighborhood stories turned off too.