Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Behind The Sims: Tuesday September 12

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 722 Member
    I'm waiting to see what the pack actually is, but I must admit I did cringe at the mention of 'the hustle', like "late capitalism and worker exploitation, I am so not here for it. Like I said though, I'm reserving judgement, it was just a little something that made me think, 'whoa, no thanks'.

What I would really love to see (besides more occults, dear god where are more occults, I want them, give them to me!!!), ahem, things I'd love to see would be a pack or an upgrade where Sims workers could form their own unions and engage in industrial action like strikes, and working to rule. You could have other Sims turn up to a venue only to find it's closed due to a strike for better working conditions, and then have different reaction options, for example, or have the option for a Sims worker to scab and break the strike for teh dramaz. B)
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,982 Member
    edited September 2023
    I must admit I did cringe at the mention of 'the hustle'
    true but then again
    it could also be like "side hustle"
    creative hobbies to make money? freelance careers?
    or maybe like ordinary jobs like maid, handyman etc?

or finally being able to set our own sims for npc worker roles?
    or... ok simmingal i see we are starting to make wild guesses
    that literally no hint is pointing at
    and its just your wishful thinking
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I'm waiting to see what the pack actually is, but I must admit I did cringe at the mention of 'the hustle', like "late capitalism and worker exploitation, I am so not here for it. Like I said though, I'm reserving judgement, it was just a little something that made me think, 'whoa, no thanks'.

What I would really love to see (besides more occults, dear god where are more occults, I want them, give them to me!!!), ahem, things I'd love to see would be a pack or an upgrade where Sims workers could form their own unions and engage in industrial action like strikes, and working to rule. You could have other Sims turn up to a venue only to find it's closed due to a strike for better working conditions, and then have different reaction options, for example, or have the option for a Sims worker to scab and break the strike for teh dramaz. B)

@GrimlyFiendish I hope that they don’t go the underpaid worker route with capitalism or worker exploitation… because that is all too much of a very real thing today.

That part of “realism” aside, I definitely hope they release more content for occults soon. There are many MANY realistic things I want a break from while playing the sims and I am hopeful that they introduce more whimsical AND magical content in the future.
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I must admit I did cringe at the mention of 'the hustle'
    true but then again
    it could also be like "side hustle"
    creative hobbies to make money? freelance careers?
    or maybe like ordinary jobs like maid, handyman etc?

or finally being able to set our own sims for npc worker roles?
    or... ok simmingal i see we are starting to make wild guesses
    that literally no hint is pointing at
    and its just your wishful thinking

@Simmingal hopefully it’s just allowing sims to fill certain npc roles… I don’t know how I feel about having played sims work certain service jobs though…

Also, it takes a bit of work, but I think it is possible to create a sim specifically for NPC roles. I can’t remember all the exact details, but you need sims at a certain level, and there might even be a hidden trait you need to give the sims…

However, I’ve seen my sims living in Sulani fill the entertainer and food stand job… I have a screenshot of my sea witch working the Islander food booth. :D

There are definitely some npc jobs that can be easier to set up for played sims to be a part of, so it might involve making it easier to set that up…

I still need to see the video, but I’m hopeful that they don’t take this too seriously or make this too ultra realistic…
  • Options
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    @GrimlyFiendish I hope that they don’t go the underpaid worker route with capitalism or worker exploitation… because that is all too much of a very real thing today.

That part of “realism” aside, I definitely hope they release more content for occults soon. There are many MANY realistic things I want a break from while playing the sims and I am hopeful that they introduce more whimsical AND magical content in the future.

I suppose I hear the word 'hustle' and just automatically think, "Okay, well then give us sims with the right to unionise and strike". I do like my game to be as drama free as possible, but if they are going to go the whole 'hustle culture' route, then I'd want some balance with that. Like I would not want one of sims getting notifications that they needed to 'embrace the hustle more' in order to get a promotion, or whatever, without being able to say, 'Yeah nah, that's not how it's going down, my sim workers have rights' (cue sims singing 'solidarity forever' in simlish). B)

Totally agree on the not tipping it too far towards capitalism and worker exploitation, which unfortunately is the first thing I think when I hear a word like 'hustle'. :|

• Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    Metior_Ice wrote: »

I suppose I hear the word 'hustle' and just automatically think, "Okay, well then give us sims with the right to unionise and strike". I do like my game to be as drama free as possible, but if they are going to go the whole 'hustle culture' route, then I'd want some balance with that. Like I would not want one of sims getting notifications that they needed to 'embrace the hustle more' in order to get a promotion, or whatever, without being able to say, 'Yeah nah, that's not how it's going down, my sim workers have rights' (cue sims singing 'solidarity forever' in simlish). B)

Totally agree on the not tipping it too far towards capitalism and worker exploitation, which unfortunately is the first thing I think when I hear a word like 'hustle'. :|

@GrimlyFiendish Something I’m still a work in progress on is not jumping to conclusions with the first thing I perceive when I see something. It can be extremely easy for perception to lead to false assumptions.

But I’m definitely with you, if things go the way you described, I definitely want my sims to have the option to say no.

For now, I’m hoping that occult players get the spotlight next year after an entire year of realism content.

I want more magic, myth, whimsy, and fantasy in my game!

But more than anything, I’m super excited about the stuff packs returning! That’s the thing I’m most excited about, and I’m choosing to focus on the positive possibilities that can come with that!

Stuff Packs for the Win!

It’s probably going to be a couple days before I can watch the replay of the behind the sims! So, I’ll definitely share my thoughts after that.
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 439 Member
    TIL "capitalism" is just a catchall term for any business practice one finds problematic.
  • Options
    TIL "capitalism" is just a catchall term for any business practice one finds problematic.

Late capitalism (I realise I didn't include the 'late' portion of the description in my previous post, my bad), a stage in a capitalist system where practices become increasingly exploitative. Capitalism in and of itself is not necessarily bad, late capitalism, or late stage capitalism can be, because it includes things like worker exploitation. So yeah there is a difference, at least in my book.