Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 862 Member
    To be fair only early access is September and they said it’ll be ongoing for a least a year so they can take feedback and implement what they can from that! But i agree that animations do seem not that smooth/natural and does worry me a bit.

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,294 Member
    This looks kinda Jaring.I hope their mouths moved at the early access.The uncanny smiles while talking looks like a horror game.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,550 Member
    I hope the early release players really crack the whip on them about the character art style.

Even if they clean those up, they still look too dated for a 2024 game. I am getting Sims 3 character vibes already. Even though I managed to make a few TS3 sims I really liked, I was never happy with the Sims 3 character creator. I feel they are on track for the same situation with LBY.
    I don't want to go through that again and I am getting a little nervous about committing early dollars to them.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Ah I see they're going for the TS4 horror vibes of everyone always smiling.

The eye texture needs some serious work. I think eyes actually do a lot of the heavy lifting to avoid uncanny valley. I played Mass Effect Andromeda with a custom eye texture and I did not find the animations as jarring as most.
    Right now the little eyetracking mechanics they have going on looks way off because the texture is flat and lifeless. Exactly like Andromeda.
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 171 Member
    I'm not worried about the graphics. I can tolerate sims that look a little funny if the gameplay is there. And it is Early Access, which means they will be improving it as time goes. Also the two people having a conversation in the last clip both had odd skintones, which suggests the creator did that on purpose to show... something, I don't know. I've seen others which look more realistic to me in their past clips. I still intend to buy this game, though I will wait until after the September 12th to get it from steam, so I will see plenty of reviews by then too.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,176 Member
    What I posted to wrong place first,

Sims5 , most likely no (but sure I try if free "start")
    Paralives, absolutely no (but i don't think it ever is finished game, just my own opinion I don't need to justify to anyone)
    LBY, No occults, text based conversations, so far, no also.

But its just perfect, I save money to buy something in rl, I have my TS2 and TS4 I play both.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    One of the Sims great selling points are the Sims themselves, how well their feelings are animated and the charm of the Sims. Life By You's characters in the latest video lacked all of wht makes the Sims so special.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I hope they push back full release a bit it seems like all the attention has been put on the world and chat system and not much of the characters themselves the animation and character art team need to step it up. The skin tones look corpse like can we get something in the middle of Paralives blush to corpse like it's just too much one tone and to me the eyes seem dead and they move robotically.

I agree and do not mind waiting a little longer to ensure they get as close to getting it right as that character movements are a turn off.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited July 2023
    It really is the best thing that could have ever happened to a Sims game. Having some healthy competition. I do not mind waiting for LBY or Paralives to finish their development. Please do not rush. Take the time you need. Be satisfied with your product. This also includes the Sims.
    Post edited by Katlyn2525 on
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    It really is the best thing that could have ever happened to a Sims game. Having some healthy competition. I do not mind waiting for LBY or Paralives to finish their development. Please do not rush. Take the time you need. Be satisfied with your product. This also includes the Sims.

I'll certainly second that thought. A game that is not rushed for a quick money grab would be a welcome change in the life simulation genre. Take all the time you need to give us a game that is of high quality with a lot of content in the base game. B)
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I just hope that it (LBY) is enough of a financial success to become a serious competitor. Otherwise, it won't effect the market and EA much, unfortunately.

The game looks very rough right now although the concept of it is great. Hopefully they can pull it together before release because I want this to do well and be great!
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,094 Member
    Okay this looks good I've always wanted a height slider in game that animations work with. There's so much customization even torso/leg height separated glad I won't have to deal with the push pull system sliders are so much better.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member

It looks really good when the slider values are not extreme. Randomly generated characters should fall somewhere in the middle for control.

Also the slider for the glossiness of the skin should pretty much always be set to low for my visual taste - the glossiness and the bloom lighting effect together do not look good.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2023
    These characters are looking better and better. I'm glad to see sliders instead of push and pull, and it seems they have many more customization control sliders than in the Sim series. Looking forward to this.

I removed the video because after I thought about it, it may reveal too much skin for this site. And I should have paid more attention but was excited to see sliders and height sliders again.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,790 Member

Honestly, I thought a lot of the slider values looked awful. With max muscles, there were a lot of jagged edges. I've seen pictures of really muscular women, and the one in LBY isn't a good representation

I'm still excited for the early access because I'm willing to overlook graphical issues if the gameplay is good, but I'm not very impressed with how the humans look
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 171 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    These characters are looking better and better. I'm glad to see sliders instead of push and pull, and it seems they have many more customization control sliders than in the Sim series. Looking forward to this.

I agree. With the Sims 4, I know EA is really proud of their system, but I don't like it. I like being able to see on a list the various aspects that I can change. And not accidentally stretching a feature by trying to turn the sim so I can get a better look. I like how this looks. Especially with the height slider. I'm curious how genetics will work in the game.
  • Options
    DaveE1942DaveE1942 Posts: 3 New Member
    I have pre-ordered LBY, so will, I hope, get to try it in September. I really enjoy Sims 4, so may have to try Sims 5 at some point. One thing I wish EA (and LBY) would address is the matter of names. First Name and Last Name is OK in many circumstances, but really, Title, First Name, Last Name, Suffix would be better. e.g. Rt Hon Sir Aaron Fart-Politely MP is rather a mouthful in Sims 4! Even his family have to call him the whole lot, whereas IRL they might call him Arry.... I have a Sim called Lord Peter Potter. He owns several restaurants and his employees call him Mr Potter. They should call him Lord Peter or M'Lord really, and his family just Peter.
  • Options
    PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    I 100% will try LBY, but I must say the trailer does not excite me. Reminds me of some of those not-so-high-quality simulators that never even become a finished product. Like, I can see that characters can walk, and kiss, and cook and stuff but nothing that would be actually interesting so far. I do not find characters themselves to be ugly though, just the way they are animated is jarring. Why characters could move smoothly almost 20 years ago and now it looks like a lost technology :(
  • Options
    Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    I already pre-ordered LBY. It looks like a hybrid between sims 2 and 3. Sims 3 was always my favorite. I only hope that the animation of the characters will be better in the future and that it won't have the same lag as sims 3. :#
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member
    Really like the sliders and how much you can customize the body. B)
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited July 2023
    They should delete this video (see image below) on their youtube channel. I don't know why the most recent Character Creator video looked so good graphically but then this exists. This is scary.

g3gbr8c7j5rd.png

At the same time, graphics aren't everything. I'm gameplay-focused, I have preordered, and I'm excited to play LBY at launch.
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,514 Member
    They should delete this video (see image below) on their youtube channel. I don't know why the most recent Character Creator video looked so good graphically but then this exists. This is scary.

g3gbr8c7j5rd.png

At the same time, graphics aren't everything. I'm gameplay-focused, I have preordered, and I'm excited to play LBY at launch.

Indeed, this is an absolute scare fest, but I don’t think they should delete any of the videos that they’ve shared with their (potential) customers so far. It would be more interesting for both the players and the devs to be able to look back at the early stages of the development process and compare it to later, hopefully improved updates.
    In about a year’s time we should all be able to say:

“Now lads would ye all just look at this early stage LBY convo scare fest, so delighted those freakishly motionless mouths are no longer freakishly motionless when the humans ”verbally” communicate with one another. Aye, remember that time when these poor souls couldn’t even properly munch on a donut or share a passionate kiss due to that orifice being stuck at a perpetual state of whappiness. Stuck no more! How things have changed for the better! Hooray!” …(and so on and so forth)

That being said, if NOTHING changes at all I’d urge them to not just delete that video, but to do us all a favor and delete the entire game. 😆

I’m only half messing of course. Let’s see what happens.

Full body character customization looks pretty ok at this stage! - I’m sure ( I hope) it will improve in terms of graphics, but my gosh does this lady look tense! It’s understandable, it can’t be fun being objectified and getting modified like that. In fact, it must be rather agonizing. Someone should give the poor girl a shoulder and buttocks massage. Glad to have paid for early access to do just that. 😏

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2023
    How soon we forget. I recall nine years ago there were hundreds of complaints about TS4's bloom effect. It was horrible! I see people refer to it here in this thread about the blurry look of LBY. How awful the graphics for LBY look. Hopefully there will be options to adjust it. Because bloom will cause a blurry effect to objects and distance. An overall blurry game.

Lighting, I see complaints about how bad LBY looks and TS4 is great...well, back in the early days TS4 complaints were mounting into hundreds of complaints about lighting, and that green hue on Sims, walls, and the dullness of it all. Gaw how dull it looked! And it had nothing to do with the amber adjustments for light fixtures. I seem to recall hundreds of complaints of how much the desert was way too bright and hurt people's eyes. So did the loading screens and caused migraines. I assume people forgot TS4 got lighting updates and one big one, that most laptops can't even turn on.

I seem to recall the horror of the Joker effect about TS4 Sims that has been complained about since day one, and never adjusted that wide, frozen smile on character faces. Yeah, let's not go there again. Maxis doesn't seem to get it at all though there have been dozens of threads complaining about it by thousands of people.

I recall a look at early development pictures that the general public didn't see until right after TS4's release. Just google them, lol, I think people have forgotten squirrel girl. They were horrible. And or the blurred videos of building lots.

Point, not everyone loved TS4 graphics and or it's art style and they all went back to playing TS3. Or hung around long enough (years) to see some patches. TS4's graphic complaints were the bloom and lighting, sounds familiar. :p And the complaints in TS4 early before it went free, about how Pixar and pudgy it was, like you could stick them with a pin.<hello TS5's early look at Sims.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top