Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim changing traits through gameplay (Growing Together)

Hi there Simmers! I was just wondering if someone who owns the new pack could give me some insight on how the trait switching works?

I see that through gameplay you can get pop ups asking if you want to switch one trait for another, but from what I understand you can also get a pop up simply asking if a Sim should have a particular trait, and doesn't suggest a swap. What happens there? Does it become an extra trait, or does it swap out a random one?

Comments

• Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Yes, it becomes an extra trait. With discoveries your sim can have up to 6 traits (3 from CAS and 3 from gameplay).
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Yes, it becomes an extra trait. With discoveries your sim can have up to 6 traits (3 from CAS and 3 from gameplay).

Oh that's awesome! Thanks. :)
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited March 2023
    While I still wish the game offered more traits to choose from, I have to say I do enjoy this new feature. So far it has happened for three different Sims I am playing and the suggested new trait always made sense in context. I didn't accept all of them but I especially enjoyed when one of my Sims - who has been in a relationship for a long time - was offered the 'loyal' trait. That's exactly how this trait makes the most sense imho. The Sim now has 4 traits, btw. I wonder if you can play a Sim with the 'non-committal' trait in such a way that the game suggests replacing it with 'loyal'. Or vice versa.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    edited March 2023
    While I still wish the game offered more traits to choose from, I have to say I do enjoy this new feature. So far it has happened for three different Sims I am playing and the suggested new trait always made sense in context. I didn't accept all of them but I especially enjoyed when one of my Sims - who has been in a relationship for a long time - was offered the 'loyal' trait. That's exactly how this trait makes the most sense imho. The Sim now has 4 traits, btw. I wonder if you can play a Sim with the 'non-committal' trait in such a way that the game suggests replacing it with 'loyal'. Or vice versa.

I had a Sim decline a new trait and they haven't been offered another one since. They are stuck at 5 and I played with them for a couple weeks doing different things, never a new offer.

I also had them use a re-traiting potion or whatever it's called to change their original 3 traits. I wonder if that had something to with them never getting an option for more traits after.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023
    6 will probably be interesting with the compatibility too. More of a chance you will have a trait other sims like but also that they will dislike.
    I wonder if you can play a Sim with the 'non-committal' trait in such a way that the game suggests replacing it with 'loyal'. Or vice versa.
    I saw a screenshot somewhere where a simmer made Don Lothario into a stand up boyfriend changing his trait like this 😂
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    6 will probably be interesting with the compatibility too. More of a chance you will have a trait other sims like but also that they will dislike.
    I wonder if you can play a Sim with the 'non-committal' trait in such a way that the game suggests replacing it with 'loyal'. Or vice versa.
    I saw a screenshot somewhere where a simmer made Don Lothario into a stand up boyfriend changing his trait like this 😂

Yes I had Don propose to Katrina and immediately a box popped up asking to replace his Noncommittal trait with Loyal.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »

I never thought I'd see the day! :D
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member

Unless it conflicts with a trait your sim has. In that case, the trait can get replaced.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

Unless it conflicts with a trait your sim has. In that case, the trait can get replaced.

Oh, interesting. Haven't thought about that. 🤔
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    You can choose to ignore them too, my poor sims needed a nap after getting home late from vacation and the game is like he is feeling lazy, rude lol.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    I do have to mention that sims can have max of three self-discovery moments. This means after 3 trait gains/replacements, your sim won't have more self-discovery moments.

Fortunately, as the game gives an option to decline a trait gain/replacement, declining it won't count towards the three self-discovery moment limit.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I have really enjoyed this feature, though have not accepted every suggestion. The suggestions have been based on what the sim is currently doing and in some cases I didn't really see much continuity or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I've been suggested squeamish, neat (two different sims), loyal, active, lazy, gloomy and a switch from gloomy to cheerful. I have made my decisions based on how I feel about the sim in whole scale.

Is a parent of two newborns taking a lot of naps and watching TV for fun lazy? I think not! Is a gloomy sim who got engaged and had two babies suddendly cheerful or just in another phase of life? After consideration I decided not to accept, but it could have made a permanent change. Is a workaholic sim who enjoys swimming active? Yeah, why not.