Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE: New Statement on Modding Rules

OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
edited August 2022 in General Mods Discussion
EA_Cade wrote: »
Hey all,

The Sims 4 Mod Policy has been updated today which clarifies the following point:

Note, The Sims recognizes that creating Mods takes time and resources. To recoup these development costs, Mod developers may:
  • Offer an early access incentive for a reasonable amount of time. After a reasonable early access period, all users must be able to access the Mods in full for free regardless of whether they donate.
  • Run passive advertisements and requests for donations so long as they are limited to the Mod website or distribution site, and do not appear within the Mod itself.

Early Access will still be allowed after all!

Original Post:
This has been all over the sims community on twitter but I couldn't find a thread for it on the forums so I wanted to make a thread here to discuss it. Yesterday EA made a statement saying that Sims 4 custom content creators/modders would no longer be allowed to use early access for mods.

For reference, previously the rules were that modders could upload their mods to Patreon with 3 weeks of early access to players who pay to subscribe to their accounts. This has been widely used by modders as a way of funding their work, and allowing them to have more time to work on mods which add new content or fix existing content.

For example Carl who runs Carl's Guides has used the money he makes from Patreon early access to allow him to work full time on his mods which adds content such as fixing Dine Out and adding burglars to the game, and he's said this has only been possible because of early access.

Opinions?
Post edited by Onverser on

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,737 Member
    edited August 2022
    It sounds to me that a lot of mod/cc creators will make less mods and cc now?

Without being able to get any financial support they will only be able to make enough mods that their financial situation allows. Occasional donations is not financially sustainable so they are not going to be able to put as much work into making these mods and cc.

This sounds bad for everyone.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I think they should not back track. It was previously the policy that modders could charge for early access for two or three weeks. While EA should go after the perma paywall creators, some creators make their living with early access. The players will lose out if this policy is enforced. Hopefully EA will reconsider. I know I wouldn't buy High School Years at all if there weren't mods available to fix certain issues.
  • Options
    TashiTashi Posts: 46 Member
    I will not play Sims 4 at all if Mccc and UI ext. are no longer updated due to EA ruining everything for the creators.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I never minded waiting the two or three weeks and even supported a couple of creators because I love their work. I will continue to support them even without the benefits of early access. I saw some creators who took advantage of simmers and had $20 paywalls and they never unlocked their content. It stinks that a few people ruined it for everyone.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    The whole situation has left me feeling pretty glum. At least one creator has retired from modding, and that's just one I happened to stumble across, no telling how many more are going to do the same. If modders start quitting and not updating their mods, I'm never going to update or buy another pack again. I won't stop playing, but EA won't get any more of my money.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    Everyone in the creator community that wants to get paid for what they make could go to work for TSR or similar websites. A lot of really great creators have never charged for their content. I usually download from them.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Bad apples spoil the bunch. Clearly, that's what happened here. Sucks for the creators who were doing their jobs and making their content free after a few weeks, but there are many who didn't and who are doubling down.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    This stinks. Who's going to play Sims 4 on PC with less to no mods? EA is killing Sims now.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, unfortunately this is likely due to people exploiting/abusing/ignoring the 2 weeks rule (plus the whole doxxing scandals by like a specific creator or two). I was for the 2 weeks until free for all deal as it allowed mod makers to be compensated for their work. It's unfortunate.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    This stinks. Who's going to play Sims 4 on PC with less to no mods? EA is killing Sims now.

Dramatic much? There are many, many modders who don't perma paywall their mods.
  • Options
    TashiTashi Posts: 46 Member

Dramatic much? There are many, many modders who don't perma paywall their mods.

That is not drama. There are many modders who don't perma paywall but do early access who are going to lose their livelihood and have to stop modding. And I am one who will quit buying ea products if I can't have Mcc or UI ext. due to jerks ruining the modders making money.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,107 Member
    It seems like over on the Broken mods thread several modders are already on their way out.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I do wonder if they'll actually enforce it though, I don't think they ever enforced the old rules it was just to try and put people off of permanent paywalling
  • Options
    NikkiXoLynnNikkiXoLynn Posts: 1 New Member
    This is not a statement. Why does no one know what a statement is? This is an EA chat rep who has no qualifications to make a “statement” and can not be relied on to give this info. If we listen to chat reps y’all need to start deleting all your mods because when I asked the same question my rep said if we continue using mods we’ll be banned. Guess that’s also a “statement”
  • Options
    IllicitBellaBooIllicitBellaBoo Posts: 5 New Member
    > @NikkiXoLynn said:
    > This is not a statement. Why does no one know what a statement is? This is an EA chat rep who has no qualifications to make a “statement” and can not be relied on to give this info. If we listen to chat reps y’all need to start deleting all your mods because when I asked the same question my rep said if we continue using mods we’ll be banned. Guess that’s also a “statement”

yet if look at the post it has been editted by EA_Cade without the removal or changes made to the statement. That seems pretty clear to me right there.
  • Options
    > @mitchiebanjo said:
    > Everyone in the creator community that wants to get paid for what they make could go to work for TSR or similar websites. A lot of really great creators have never charged for their content. I usually download from them.

they arent paid to work for TSR lol ... its simply a hosting site and gallery
  • Options
    PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    edited August 2022
    EA have definitely gone about this in a half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 way. The article (in EA Help) was posted on 21 July and the only official reference they've made to it (as far as I could find) was in a tweet (on 30 July) about having issues in game with mods.

They need to be much more up front with everyone and spell out what is and isn't allowed.
  • Options
    That, or... a push for Sims 5...?
  • Options
    TorieTorie Posts: 87 Member
    Actually it seems the Sims is the only game where necessity of material gain is so rampant. Surely there were always donation bottoms and stuff like this everywhere, but this early access and paywalling (and harassing, doxing, sharing personal information, faking legal documents etc.) is getting out of hand.
    So in my opinion EA was right to get rid of all this madness and I hope they enforce it, as their update on early access seems to not really be interesting to some peeps who think they are above the rules, bc they decided to make something that is supposed to be a hobby into their fulltime job without being employed by EA who owns the whole Sims thing.
  • Options
    Here's my thing. If they go after modders, who actually seem to work their butts off to fix things, they will stop modding. They saved TS4 from being boring to the point where nobody would play it. It's a heavy loss imo.
  • Options
    baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    edited August 2022
    this has been going on for years they have finally completely cracked down on modders who lock things behind paywalls

early access just caught in the crossfire seems to many people don't make them free or keep them locked in a paywall for too long or make too much money out of it that it's far beyond 'financial support'

lots of people made a lot of money out of the sims over the years with donations/paysites and patreon - no matter how hard they work on them it belongs to EA/Maxis and they can pull the plug at any time.

Just look at something like the whicked whims patreon page they have 9537 patreons lowest amount is $1.50 it then goes up to $6.50 then $13AUD that's a lot of money for 'support'.. MC command mod also has 5000 patreons with the lowest tier being $4.50AUD that's over $20,000 a month.. it's likely the same for other mods that use patreon

if they can't do early access they just have to run ads or find other ways to keep going

the brutal honestly is mods is a hobby not a full time job (and a well paying one for some creators)
    Post edited by baddazoner on
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,675 Member
    As I understand this, modders can still collect donations to recoup their time and expense doing development. So, if you were willing to pay for early access to a mod, are you now willing to donate that same amount to support the development of that same mod?

I am.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,018 Member
    edited August 2022
    uh I don't use mods or cc in ts4 so this doesn't particularily change anything to me

I've always found that its strange the way people have started making modding a whole career for themselves with these paywalls n stuff
    cause well remember the times when it was just a little hobby thing you worked on for fun and then shared so others could have fun too

also if people really want to support creators they still can do so via donations
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    GitaGita Posts: 108 Member
    I think that good creators and moderators will still get support. It's nice to have a hobby and people reward your hard work with a donation, but it's not a job. You can't rely on it and it's not fair to blame EA for changing their rules. I don't know any other game where you can ask money for mods.
  • Options
    > @luciusstorm said:
    > As I understand this, modders can still collect donations to recoup their time and expense doing development. So, if you were willing to pay for early access to a mod, are you now willing to donate that same amount to support the development of that same mod?
    >
    > I am.

Issue is they are still putting up paywalls calling early access fees donations and nobody is getting a straight answer if the old early access is still allowed or not.