Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else just delete schools?

I like playing the kids from time to time, but they're never home. Does anyone else just delete the schools, as I'm thinking I should do?

Comments

• Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Do you mean delete the school with no replacement? Or delete the school and homeschool the kids (mod needed)?

I play in mostly rabbithole-less worlds and educate my children and teens a bit differently. This method does require mods in order to work and a bit of strategic planning, but it works for my playstyle.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I don't have that mod, but the game plays smoothly now so I don't want to wreck it. I just turned the school into an indoor fair for the vampires, so they can enjoy the year-round festivities without fear of the sun.
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    There's always boarding school. I think if you delete the schools in the game the kids will all get in trouble and removed from the household.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    texanskytexansky Posts: 1,347 Member

@HillyBeth
    If the town has no school for the children to go to, they will not get into trouble or get removed from the household. The only downfall is that they will not age up well, so you will not be able to choose their fourth trait when they age up to teen, or their fifth trait when they become young adults.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    edited July 2022
    I find sims-kids are a lot like real kids; sometimes they can be a royal pain-in-the-bohunkus…
    Screenshot-144.jpg
    "Oh...I see you met Felix" River said; a twinkle of merriment in her eyes.

"Felix?"Allan asked confused. "You named the monster, Felix?"

"He's not a bad monster, he just likes to hang out under the bed." she winked at her son.

Creator: Boy, that kid's going to need therapy.

"So you know he's there, Mommy?"

"Yup...he protects Mommy and Daddy from all the bad monsters. So you see, he's a good monster..."

Sending the little buggers to school, gets them out of your hair.
    Screenshot-149.jpg
    And keeps you from wanting to do stuff to them that would result in them getting taken away by Social Services. 😁 (like putting up walls around them or lefting them swim to exhaustion. 😈😁 Or oh, let’s say…losing them in the snow…🤣

My two RL oldest graduated and they’re fine. @Featherbelle and I raised ‘em well. 😁 Our youngest heads to high school next year.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    Hmm, I've never tried that method before. Usually I just placed another school. Now that I think of it tho. I wonder if this method might improve game performance? Considering how game would lag when theres 50 odd kids all trying to get into the school at once.... This idea might bear further research.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Sometimes I delete them, especially when I am trying to make certain settings. (Castaway for example.) I don't mind school in 3 so much, but part of that is you can rid yourself of the obligation by deleting one building.

Looking at you, 4.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    texansky wrote: »
    @HillyBeth
    If the town has no school for the children to go to, they will not get into trouble or get removed from the household. The only downfall is that they will not age up well, so you will not be able to choose their fourth trait when they age up to teen, or their fifth trait when they become young adults.

Perfectly fine if aging is off. But, yeah, 4 is annoying. I grabbed the mod that let's kids not have to go to school as I want my teen character in the story.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited July 2022
    I have deleted schools from every game I have ever played, from the very beginning and have never had my kids removed or be bad. My kids do not go to school because I want to play with them. I let them learn skills. I have never had any problems and only fun with them. My kids or game has never, never, never had any ill effects. I will continue not to send my kids to school in every game I play. I have been playing from sims 1 over 12 yrs and not one has ever gone to school. Have fun with your kids, I do. One reason I do not like Sims 4, as I cannot delete schools. and I do not or have ever used any mods.
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »
    I have deleted schools from every game I have ever played, from the very beginning and have never had my kids removed or be bad. My kids do not go to school because I want to play with them. I let them learn skills. I have never had any problems and only fun with them. My kids or game has never, never, never had any ill effects. I will continue not to send my kids to school in every game I play. I have been playing from sims 1 over 12 yrs and not one has ever gone to school. Have fun with your kids, I do. One reason I do not like Sims 4, and I do not or have ever used any mods.

No offense to EA, but don't get Sims 4 if you don't have it yet. It's not all that it's cracked up to be.
  • Options
    One of the things I like about the Sims 3 is that there is always a way around things whether your game has mods or not. If your sim is given a bad trait and you use mods, just change it to what you want. If you don't use mods, just save up those lifetime reward points and purchase the reward which allows you to change the trait.

Personally, I like being in control of my Sim kids' education. I like watching them study from the actual books I have assigned to them. I also love watching them practice and build real skills which they will use for the rest of their sim life. And I especially love watching them build real friendships with other Sims.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    edited July 2022
    The other option is that if you have a computer in the house, you can homeschool them with the initial trip to city hall to register them for home-schooling or register them directly from home via the cellphone or via the computer. That way they age up properly without “failing grades”. Just remember to stay on top of their schoolwork they have to complete from home. Home-schooling is the only way to get around the “failing grades” of skipping school without mods. Home-schooling option, I believe came with the Generations EP.

And coupled with mods like the “kids can” series, you can get the kids can read skills books and do other things and get headstarts on their originally T/YA/A/E only objects like pianos and instruments. Plenty of things to do without them going to school.

But the requirement for good grades to advance favorably necessitates a workaround and the only one I can see is home-schooling especially if you don’t want to use mods.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    @Nikkei_Simmer What does it mean for your sim child to advance favorably and what can a sim child do that goes to school, to one that does not. what is the advantage.
  • Options

Oh I did send my sim to college a few times, I will say it was a lot of fun, perhaps I will do it again sometime.
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »
    @Nikkei_Simmer What does it mean for your sim child to advance favorably and what can a sim child do that goes to school, to one that does not. what is the advantage.

With aging off, nothing. With it on, if you do well in school, you get to pick your character's traits, else a random one will be chosen.
  • Options
    @Gamer_34567544 Well I am not sure what game you are playing, but like I said my sims have never gone to school, my schools are deleted the very first day I play a new world, or any world. I do not play with aging off. My teen sims in the game I am now playing with no school, my teen has 4 traits and my adults who has never gone to school has 5, I will say that sometimes I do change the traits to my liking for that sim. Perhaps if you have a school in your town and you do not send them this would happen.
    I have been playing sim form the very begging and have deleted all schools in every town I play in, it is the first thing I do. when I first started someone said these things to me, like remove your kid, won't have 4 traits, etc. some say you need mods, I have never had any mods, not any mods in all my games that I have ever played. Not sure why some have all these problems. But I will assure you that you can delete schools and your sims child will be fine
    When I first started to play the sims years ago and deleted the school, someone said I can't do that or they will take away your child, I did not want that to happen, so I put a child in that I did not want to play to see what would happen and nothing did happen. so, I have been playing like that forever. And still will. My teen in my game today is fine. He is learning Marshel Arts and he never went to school, has 4 traits. Have fun with your sims no matter how you play. It is a great game. I have been playing form the 1st sims out and have never stopped. I love the Sims
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Evalen It's not about whether the child receives a trait, it's about whether you get to choose the trait. In the same way you're prompted to pick a third trait for a toddler that learned all three skills (walk/talk/potty), you can choose a trait for a child or teen sim that has an A in school. But with schools present, you don't get to choose if the grade is B or below; the game just assigns one for you.

With your kids never going to school, do you get to choose the fourth and fifth traits for your sims, or does the game choose for you? I've never played without schools, so I don't know. But that's what other people are assuming: that you can't choose the trait if your child and teen sims never attend school, since they'll therefore never achieve an A grade.
  • Options
    I can choose my own traits in every age group. The no school does not affect my sims at all. As far a traits go I can even change them any time I wish. But when my sims age up the bottom box is always empty, and I pick another trait for them
  • Options
    my schools are deleted the very first day I play a new world, or any world.

I believe this may be the answer to the confusion. As we all know, a new game begins on Sunday morning. School doesn't happen until the next day for the kids and the homework system doesn't become active until 2:00pm for teens and 3:00pm for children on that day.

It's possible Evalen doesn't have the 'school problem' others have because she shuts the system down (by deleting the school) before it is scheduled to begin. Since her children never attended the school, they never received the homework booklet to which the trait system is tied. In theory, this should make them exempt from needing the grade requirement and allow Evalen to choose their traits when they age up.

@Evalen - Out of curiosity, what does the school/career tab for your child/teen sims say? Does it mention there being no school?
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'm playing in a world without schools at the moment. The school tab says this:
    bpVBQmS.jpg
    I am not allowed to choose traits on aging up a sim.
    Also, I'm not aware of any situation that lets you switch existing traits in normal play, except by using the brain enhancement machine that came with UL.
    That you can use cheats (or mods) to change traits anytime you want is, of course, clear.

However, I'm still playing with a modded game and didn't try this with a vanilla game, so take that with a grain of salt.
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • Options
    This is very interesting. From what I know of the game, there are alternative systems in place for doing most things, I guess for less restrictive gameplay. This is what I found on the Sims Wikia on the topic of schools:

The Sims Wiki
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/School

If the school has been deleted then children and teens will stop going to school. This is the only way to not go to school, and is only possible in Windows and macOS as consoles do not have the ability. Also, if the player is controlling one ghost teen or child, they might not be signed up for a school. However, if the school is deleted then children and teens appear to be forced age up badly because they haven't been to school, but if an adult with a high enough logic skill tutors them, their grade can go up, and allow them to age up well without having to go to school.

Logic Skill Challenges:
    Teacher Extraordinaire
    Teacher Extraordinaires have spent at least 20 hours tutoring children and students. Because of this, they are much more effective when tutoring others.

Skill Professor
    Skill Professors have spent at least 30 hours tutoring other Sims in skills. Because of this, they are much more effective when teaching skills to others.

Logic Level Benefits:
    Level 5 - Tutor Children - Allows the Sim to tutor children to increase the child's grades. Increases the Logic skill of both Sims if they have learned it.

Level 10 - Tutor Sims for Skills - Allows the Sim to teach other Sims skills they know.
  • Options

mw1525
    To be honest I don't think I have ever had a school tab, looking at your picture, I don't remember ever seeing that, but I will check and see. My sims are teen so I will look and see if it is there. I don't think so as I do not have a school in my world. I will be right back.
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    Yeah, have a look. The issue here may be that that sim already saw a school in a different world (they moved). Also, I just remembered that this world is set to eternal summer, and summer is vacation time, so...
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I have been deleting all schools in my saves ever since i found out you could do that lol.
  • Options

@mw1525 Sorry that it took me so log, but we had a very bad storm in my town and my lights, internet and phone shot for and I just got it back today. So I checked my teens school tab, and this is what it said There are currently no schools in this town.