The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Henford-on-Bagley is a new ridiculously small world again

Comments

• Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 388 Member
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    It's often not enough lots for me either, I don't like removing the premade families so if this world have let's say three community lots, and three premade families, that leaves us with six lots to use for whatever we want. Play with two active households and now you only have four lots, if you want some more community lots then you end up only having one empty lot left...

Yep, that's usually my issue as well, i don't like removing or even moving premades and still sometimes I feel that they hog the best locations. And I also like to have couple community lots, if for nothing else then for the calendar events (like free drink or free food ones).
    Also here's what I've seen for more details:

Devon Bumpkin did the pub and a farmhouse on a 64x64 lot (just 1 of these, confirmed on twitter).

Thomas TV did 3, two starter homes, one other. He said all were unoccupied, not sure if last one is a house or community lot though. I can't find it now but I thought I saw that two were 30x20 and one was 50x40, though that info has disappeared now.

Goodbye orchard dream. If there are already 3 unoccupied lots I doubt that the 64x64 will be as well.

If the 64x64 is occupied I'm moving the family to another lot. They can have a slightly smaller lot, I need that large one lol. There will be spare lots to move them to so I'm not too bothered about it. Though I don't care about moving premades around, I mostly keep them in the same worlds (with some exceptions), but to make room for extra community lots and my sims they often have to relocate.
  • Options
    SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    I guess I'm the only Simmer for whom [world] size doesn't matter. :D
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I quite like the idea of placing a bookshelf. In my mind it's a small village without a full sized library. Maybe place a little reading nook with a couple of comfy chairs in a cafe. Or maybe a community center for exercise classes and other activities.

I definitely plan to add a library if there isn't one already. Nothing big or modern, but more like an antique book store. I'm thinking along the lines of Aleister's Elixirs and Sundries from The Sims 3: Supernatural.

As for exercise, I'm considering a yoga/wellness retreat. I think I'll take inspiration from the log cabins in Granite Falls.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    chuckjaymoorechuckjaymoore Posts: 60 Member
    I like that The Sims team is once again working with EA Game Changers to build the official lots for another pack. EA builds may not be the most pleasing for many Simmers, but EA can come up with a good name for the lots they build on. Many EA Game Changers are very good at building, but unable to come up with a creative lot name when uploading the build to the Gallery. Combine EA's creative lot naming skill with Game Changers that can build [very well] and we get a really nice world. Snowy Escape is a really good world for that reason. The Game Changers can do a better job at EA's restrictions than the in-house builders (Simgurus) that EA hired.
    Gallery ID: 1mooresimmer
    YouTube channel: youtube.com/@1mooresimmer/
    TikTok: tiktok.com/@1mooresimmer
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I was hoping for 14-15; 10 would have been unworkable. I think I can get by with 12, but as usual, the devil is in the details.

As I posted elsewhere, I am currently thinking 4 regular residential, one haunted residential (I'm now thinking about moving the Crumplebottoms in there if they are playable, perhaps with a young adopted niece or nephew), one rental lot. The rental lot I'm thinking I will put in the 64x64 farmhouse and I'll make it an agritourism center, where families can bring their kids to learn about farming. All of the above I can, and probably will, put in premade homes, at least if they're any good. I like to remodel extensively, but I'm not great at making the shells of buildings with the fundamental architectural details. So the premades are usually a good jumping-off point for me, and as much as people are raving about the builders involved, that sounds promising.

That leaves me with six to play around with. I expect I'll leave but remodel the pub. Then I'll need a restaurant or takeaway (retail) shop for the local cuisine. I'm curious as to whether the lot they show for the competitions is a selectable lot, or just one of those open community spaces that many of the neighborhoods have; if it's the latter, that gives us a bit more wiggle room. I was thinking a community garden, but given the amount of gardening overall in the community, that might be unnecessary. Instead, I might just make a generic community center that has all the hobby/activity objects that seem essential or appropriate. I definitely want a bookshop, I just have to decide based on what I have to work with whether I want to combine it with a bakery or make them separate. I would love to have a library, but I can live without it if there's a bookshop. I'm toying with the idea now of making a museum but in the style of a historic church, so that I could have weddings there, but also satisfy the museum whim when sims roll it. And having visited a few historic churches when I was in England and Scotland, it seems appropriate. A vet clinic wasn't really on my radar, but several people have mentioned it, and it does seem fitting. Has anyone ever tried using vet equipment in a home? I just thought of maybe having a retired vet who still keeps the basic equipment in her barn at home, and people could just visit her. when their pets are sick.

The four residential lots + one haunted residential would give me five households to work with, which is not a lot, but... aside from the other townies that will probably be spawned, I usually like to move out most of the premades. Maybe it happens eventually, but I've never had a premade culled, even when they are homeless, in all my years of playing, maybe because I usually edit them a smidge in CAS. I'm guessing that like the Sulani premades, they will come with that hidden trait that indicates that they belong to that world, which means they will end up roaming around the community lots anyway. So I think that should be sufficient to make the world feel alive. I generally don't love the premades enough to want to actually play them, but I like them enough to want to sort of keep them around as local color.
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I said this in another discussion, but it still stands.
    Forgotten Hollow has 5 and Magnolia Promenade has 4. I personally don't think 12 is that bad, and it fits, to me, the theme of the world, a small English Country village.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,164 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »

Nope. I have over 60 empty lots so not worried about running out of space.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    For this specific world, I'm fine with the amount of lots. Normally, I like worlds with more lots. I really liked how Evergreen Harbor added different types like apartments and rowhouses that the player could customize. For this pack, I think the way that they did it is great. I also liked the GC lots in Snowy Escape so I will probably like these.

I won't be adding a gym to this village but I can see that someone else might. Random villages and small towns sometimes have random businesses. As someone else said, the lot sizes will matter for this one for having workable farms and open space like you find in countrysides.

Del Sol Valley was too small for the type of pack that it was, it seemed to be narrowly focused on rags to riches for one player - start in the starter neighborhood and end up in the famous one. If you wanted to add more complexity or just play an LA neighborhood, there wasn't a lot. They also should have added an LA beachy neighborhood.

For this one, if the outdoor world is pretty detailed, I'll probably be happy. I'll need to see the actual map and set up. I do think it is a good point to make that some of us like to have empty lots so we don't have to tear anything down to build or add downloads. I used to like adding the bonus lots that came with some of the packs or I would customize. For example, I now have an actual functioning hotel in Sulani that I built on my own in an empty lot.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,217 Member
    I'm OK with a themed world having relatively few empty lots if the lots they actually built on are well-done. I'm not a builder, so good premade lots are a must.

That said, if they made a kit that was basically just another Newcrest—15 empty lots to do with however we please—I'd have my wallet out faster than you can say "that'll be five dollars, please."

I think that is me as well. Definitely not a builder. This one being a village I am fine with just the pub.
    But for the others As its loading screens to another "world" or just a lot then its easy for my sims to just travel elsewhere for library or gym etc But I wouldn't ever turn down a world with more lots. That would be silly. :D
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »

Nope. I have over 60 empty lots so not worried about running out of space.

How many worlds do you have?
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    As long as world's are bigger than Del Sol Valley, I'm fine. That was the only world that felt ridiculously small to me. A small village makes sense to be less than 16 lots, a huge metropolis with movie stars and community lots...not so much.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2021

@elanorbreton I think what @SimGuruLyndsay said about the small worlds is very unfair to people who want a full base game and full expansions. She says "We want to balance things so we have space to do more things down the line". That is kind of already assuming that people will buy the base game and add a lot of DLC to it.
    So only players who buy DLC are benefiting from the small worlds because they can have more worlds that come with different packs but if you are not a player who wants to buy a lot of DLC you are stuck with small worlds and also a limited amount of worlds.

Holding things back in the base game, especially fundamental things like lots and worlds, means you are delivering only an incomplete experience because you are assuming people are happy to pay for much DLC down the line.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I would love larger worlds, but I think 12 lots will be fine for me with this being more of a farming village. I grew up in a small town area and if you go through "downtown" and blink your eyes you will miss it. LOL There is an even smaller town nearby which was a farming community and the community buildings are a post office, library, church, town hall, general store, and an elementary school. The area is very rural and woodsy. I tend to use Newcrest for my downtown area, filling it with community lots because there is very little room for them in the towns we have. My sims usually go on their days off to have their fun and social time. I am also planning to have a supernatural game save and think this world will fit well with the ruins and woodsy environment. I expect to really enjoy farming and communing with nature for both my mortals and supernatural sims!
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited June 2021
    In the village I lived in there was a school, corner shop and two pubs, one at each end of the village. The village up the road had a library, church, doctors office. small grocery store and two pubs. For anything else you took the bus to the 'massive' town which had everything. It was roughly the size of a township here in Michigan lol. If you were feeling ReALLY adventurous you took a day trip to the city. But beware in winter, as half an inch of snow would halt all the buses and you couldn't get home from the town or the city. On more than one occasion one of my children ended up spending the night at a teachers house due to weather halting public transport.

So I'm ok with the number of lots providing the ones outside of the main village area are mostly bigger than 30x20. I'm more bothered that Devon built the giant 64x64 lot. Because he's one of my favourite builders and I'm going to hate demolishing it!
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    It's a small village. O.o I think it works.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    One of the simsgurus posted a video from 2017 with Lindsey explaining why the worlds are small. Perhaps the moderators of this forum should pin an explanation about why the worlds are the size they are and the interconnection of each pack to create a larger world blah blah blah - then we won't yearn for a large world. Perhaps an overall Sims 4 map showing how each pack's world fits in. An official one from the Sims team would help us simmers - you know.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Can someone name a world that currently has 12 lots so I can have some kinda comparison?
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    edited June 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Can someone name a world that currently has 12 lots so I can have some kinda comparison?

Edit: Scrap that. I remembered it wrong.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,045 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    StrangerVille had 12, though one of them was the special, un-editable laboratory.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    troshalom wrote: »
    One of the simsgurus posted a video from 2017 with Lindsey explaining why the worlds are small. Perhaps the moderators of this forum should pin an explanation about why the worlds are the size they are and the interconnection of each pack to create a larger world blah blah blah - then we won't yearn for a large world. Perhaps an overall Sims 4 map showing how each pack's world fits in. An official one from the Sims team would help us simmers - you know.

@troshalom Like I already mention, not everyone wants to buy 10 packs to have enough space. It makes sense for people who buy DLC but for everyone else it feels like the team is assuming we are happy to buy DLC to have more space in a sandbox life simulator with no ability to create own lots or worlds. To me that's not a customer-friendly point of view.

Yes, they have mentioned why they do things like that but it doesn't mean everyone think it's okay.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    We need a Newcrest type area in each biome.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @SimmerGeorge I'm not negating what you said. I totally loved that the worlds I created in SimCity 4 I could play in the Sims 2. And I loved the worlds simmers created in the Sims 3 and that you could place your own lots in both of those games.

I would absolutely love user created worlds and the ability to create my own lots. Because EA has made the decision not to allow that in TS4 it would make sense for them to put a message pinned to the top of the forum that that is not going to happen and all future worlds released in packs are going to be small. Not saying it would stop all the griping, but at least folks will know why the decision was made.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    troshalom wrote: »
    I would absolutely love user created worlds and the ability to create my own lots. Because EA has made the decision not to allow that in TS4 it would make sense for them to put a message pinned to the top of the forum that that is not going to happen and all future worlds released in packs are going to be small. Not saying it would stop all the griping, but at least folks will know why the decision was made.

@troshalom I think the outrage would be too big. The community only lives in hope, hope one day we'll get cars, hope one day we'll get worlds. if they make a statement that creating worlds will never happen people are gonna be mad again.
    But you are right, I know what you mean now. And I mean they have already stated it in that interview that this is how they will do worlds in this game. People are still somehow confused or haven't heard it.

Maybe a new Twitter post would be better. Imagine what it would look like if they forever had a message pinned on the first page of the forums (sorry, bigger worlds ain't happening).
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,548 Member
    Better than Glimmerbrook. 5 lots, plus 1 community lot in the magical realm.
    Henford may turn out to be a place for all my magic sims because Glimmerbrook is so small.
    Also because Henford feels like a tight knit community, which would lend itself well to a bunch of unique sims.

I don't know if it actually does feel like a tight community, but that seems to be what they are selling here.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,164 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    How many worlds do you have?

@calaprfy I have all of them.

My empty lots total 103.
    SM and EH include apartments.
    asFpe6f.png
    All of my destination worlds are full.