Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Henford-on-Bagley is a new ridiculously small world again

14567810...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,696 Member
    I think 12 lots is perfect for a rural world. If we got 16 lots, there would still be complainers asking for larger world. It's not likely they will add enough lots to have all kinds of lot categories in the same world. Different categories came with different packs, and not everyone needs (or wants) to place all category options in their world. Many simmers probably don't even have all those options because they lack some packs. I find it natural that not all my worlds do offer an identical set of community lots. Some residents will need to travel to another world to use a gym, or a library, or a retail store. I guess those wishing many lots per world would lower their expectations if we rather get a way to combine several categories on the same lot. It feels weird that say there can't be a restaurant and a bar in the same building. Or a retail store and a bakery. Or that the museum can't have a café.

Even if we play just one lot (and load hood) at the time, I'm pretty sure the game needs to load all sims in the entire game. Adding 24 new lots with a world could mean adding 24x8 = 192 new sims. Even if we add only 1 sim per new lot, there might be tech mechanisms preparing slots and data strings for all 8. Which would force the game to handle lots of additional info.

Any way, I would personally prefer 24 new lots to come with two different worlds, rather than all in one world (unless it was a new city etc). I wish they will give us world kits some day, and then that one world is bigger than the norm. Or that we are given the opportunity to add more lots to existing worlds (or at least future kit worlds).
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited August 2021
    For me EA/Maxis stuck in the past with 2014 systems or knowledge when technology has advanced and we are in 2021 now with powerful CPUs as well as powerful GPUs (if you can get the latest). Even though EA/Maxis moved Sims 4 to 64 bit it did not mean Sims 4 would jump into 2021and maybe Sims 4 path has already been written from beginning to end so if any changes are to be made it would have to come in the next version if it does come to light. EA/Maxis is not going to expand on neighborhoods or lots creation because they have an tight fist on it as it now part of their profit making machine that is included in their packs and there has not been an free neighborhood since 2015. The only thing they doing with Sims 4 is throwing Kits, fluff and stuff at it.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,753 Member
    I think 12 lots is perfect for a rural world. If we got 16 lots, there would still be complainers asking for larger world. It's not likely they will add enough lots to have all kinds of lot categories in the same world. Different categories came with different packs, and not everyone needs (or wants) to place all category options in their world. Many simmers probably don't even have all those options because they lack some packs. I find it natural that not all my worlds do offer an identical set of community lots. Some residents will need to travel to another world to use a gym, or a library, or a retail store. I guess those wishing many lots per world would lower their expectations if we rather get a way to combine several categories on the same lot. It feels weird that say there can't be a restaurant and a bar in the same building. Or a retail store and a bakery. Or that the museum can't have a café.

Even if we play just one lot (and load hood) at the time, I'm pretty sure the game needs to load all sims in the entire game. Adding 24 new lots with a world could mean adding 24x8 = 192 new sims. Even if we add only 1 sim per new lot, there might be tech mechanisms preparing slots and data strings for all 8. Which would force the game to handle lots of additional info.

Any way, I would personally prefer 24 new lots to come with two different worlds, rather than all in one world (unless it was a new city etc). I wish they will give us world kits some day, and then that one world is bigger than the norm. Or that we are given the opportunity to add more lots to existing worlds (or at least future kit worlds).

12 would suit me just fine, as long as they aren't already occupied by Sims that need to be part of this neighborhood. I just want enough spaced to place the two families (that will become three, eventually) in this world. Or that some of the components of the EP, (like others have) will be applicable in the other neighborhoods, so that if there isn't room for my Sims, they can grow their crops and when it comes time, they can take their giant pumpkins, et al, to the County Fair, as it were.

At any rate, I'm busy building new houses on smaller lots, just in case. It's not easy. All I have is a picture of the front exterior and trying to divvy up the inside can be problematic. I've done the ground floor, so far. But when I woke up this morning, I had another thought on just how I should be doing it … and here she goes again! LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GirafHuntr wrote: »
    @GalacticGal What he said is where they have their largest lotS, plural, so I took that to mean that out in the countryside there is more space. I don't think it's where the market is or anything, as that would be in the town. Whether it's occupied by a premade family or not is a different question but you can always evict them.

Thank you. I misread it, obviously. New glasses not withstanding. Oi. I do worry about evicting Sims in a new pack until I know if they're crucial to the gameplay, you know? I guess we'll see what we shall see.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 388 Member
    DevonBumpkin said he built the 64x64 and it is a farmhouse. May or may not be occupied, but at least it sounds like a residential lot rather than anything else.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited June 2021
    Hey, it could always be worse! Don't forget about 'Magnolia Promenade' from 'Get To Work'... :s Now, THAT was awful! That "world" could've had so much potential, but we only got FOUR lots... :| Also, it literally just looks like an add-on to 'Willow Creek', which makes it even worse!
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    Hey, it could always be worse! Don't forget about 'Magnolia Promenade' from 'Get To Work'... :s Now, THAT was awful! That "world" could've had so much potential, but we only got FOUR lots... :| Also, it literally just looks like an add-on to 'Willow Creek', which makes it even worse!

True, but let's not forget GTW also added a neighborhood for the scientist career, as well as another for the doctor and detective careers. Then there's also Sixam, which you can visit through gameplay. In total, there are four neighborhoods in that EP. Which, if you're not counting the lots, is still more than this. And let's not forget GTW was a pack that focused on gameplay. It added three new active careers, a retail system and an occult lifestate, which I think is not too shabby, considering it was just the first EP. And well, seasons didn't add a world at all, but it's one of the most popular EP's out there.

That said, EP's don't necessarily need worlds, but if they're the focus of the pack, it doesn't make sense to have them be so small.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,444 Member

Magnolia Promenade at least looks like an add-on to Willow Creek and even Newcrest and it helps to create some cohesive looking greater neighbourhood area. I made all lots in Magnolia promenade into community venues. The problem is with smaller worlds that have no similar counterpart, like Forgotten Hollow. It's too small to be a full neighbourhood with venues and houses, it's small enough to be a village, but it has a big central park like big neighbourhoods, and makes you wonder where's the rest of the town. I love the look of Forgotten Hollow but would have liked it to be bigger so we could fit at least 4-5 community lots in there and another 4-7 residential houses besides Vlad's mansion.
  • Options

I never really know what to do with Magnolia Promenade, myself. Every now and again, I'll put an eatery there. Well, shoppers do have to eat, right?
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2021

True, that was awful. But if I remember correctly, they had tried to add those 4 neighborhoods to Willow Creek but had trouble getting it work properly. So they had no choice but to put them in a separate world. That's what we were told at the time, anyway.

So, Magnolia Promenade looks like an add-on to Willow Creek because it was supposed to be.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2021
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Naus wrote: »
    From a technical point of view, it doesn't make sense to limit the size of worlds since "worlds" as such do not exist in the game. Worlds are just a collection of smaller maps with 3 or 4 lots each and a lot of set-dressing. The only place where worlds exist is in the 2D image used for the GUI.

So from a technical point of view, it shouldn't affect performance AT ALL to have 3 neighborhoods with 4 lots each or to have 6 neighborhoods with 4 lots each, since only one of those neighborhoods and only one lot in that neighborhood would be loaded at any given time.
    Thank you, this is what I was asking about earlier in the thread because I really don't understand how the size of a world affects performance when we are only loading up one lot with surrounding area at a time.

EA's explanation on this doesn't sit right with me.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the game has to keep track of all these lots and be prepared for you to jump to any of them at any given time. There's more to the game than what happens in live mode.

The game doesn't keep track of anything happening in other neighborhoods. It loads the lots in the current neighborhood, but whatever's happening in San Myshuno has no impact on your game if you're currently playing in Willow Creek. Performance wise, having one more neighborhood shouldn't matter. I mean, technically, nothing is even happening in San Myshuno when you aren't there. And also, if everything was stored in memory, there wouldn't be loading screens. As soon as you change lots, that's when the game loads the data it needs, and flushes everything it doesn't need anymore.

I didn't say it keeps track of what's happening in other neighborhoods. I'm talking about the programming/code side of things. Which I don't know the details of because I'm not a programmer. But total number of lots in the whole game does have an impact.

I like to look at it like this: I have a mod that lets me hold a party on any lot. So the lot picker sometimes takes a while to load. Same with my mods that add holiday traditions, icons, etc. Everything loads slower. So I imagine that the larger that list of lots grows, there's some threat to performance that EA's trying to limit.
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    From a technical point of view, it doesn't make sense to limit the size of worlds since "worlds" as such do not exist in the game. Worlds are just a collection of smaller maps with 3 or 4 lots each and a lot of set-dressing. The only place where worlds exist is in the 2D image used for the GUI.

So from a technical point of view, it shouldn't affect performance AT ALL to have 3 neighborhoods with 4 lots each or to have 6 neighborhoods with 4 lots each, since only one of those neighborhoods and only one lot in that neighborhood would be loaded at any given time.
    Thank you, this is what I was asking about earlier in the thread because I really don't understand how the size of a world affects performance when we are only loading up one lot with surrounding area at a time.

EA's explanation on this doesn't sit right with me.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the game has to keep track of all these lots and be prepared for you to jump to any of them at any given time. There's more to the game than what happens in live mode.

The game doesn't keep track of anything happening in other neighborhoods. It loads the lots in the current neighborhood, but whatever's happening in San Myshuno has no impact on your game if you're currently playing in Willow Creek. Performance wise, having one more neighborhood shouldn't matter. I mean, technically, nothing is even happening in San Myshuno when you aren't there. And also, if everything was stored in memory, there wouldn't be loading screens. As soon as you change lots, that's when the game loads the data it needs, and flushes everything it doesn't need anymore.

I didn't say it keeps track of what's happening in other neighborhoods. I'm talking about the programming/code side of things. Which I don't know the details of because I'm not a programmer. But total number of lots in the whole game does have an impact.

I like to look at it like this: I have a mod that lets me hold a party on any lot. So the lot picker sometimes takes a while to load. Same with my mods that add holiday traditions, icons, etc. Everything loads slower. So I imagine that the larger that list of lots grows, there's some threat to performance that EA's trying to limit.

I see what you mean, but the fact that you have to use a mod for that should tell you enough. There's optimizations in place to make sure you don't have to load too much. Things like culling help with that, too.

And I've used that mod, too, the loading is only a problem when the game is trying to load a list. The only time I can think of when the game needs to load a list of lots is when you're planning an event. I don't think that is the kind of performance they would be worried about.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

we got 3 work lots and a hidden lot to
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    RickycanajaRickycanaja Posts: 6 New Member
    I can't build a working restaurant in Henford-on-Bagley I create it and, then, when I want to visit it with my sim, the game tells me that "the meeting is incomplete" then I go back to "build" mode and not nothing is missing !!! I've tried a lot in every neighborhood within Henford-on-Bagley, the restaurants never work. I have all the packs, expansions, games, kits, I have it all, it's the first time I can't build a restaurant in a world. Can anyone help me please?
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    I can't build a working restaurant in Henford-on-Bagley I create it and, then, when I want to visit it with my sim, the game tells me that "the meeting is incomplete" then I go back to "build" mode and not nothing is missing !!! I've tried a lot in every neighborhood within Henford-on-Bagley, the restaurants never work. I have all the packs, expansions, games, kits, I have it all, it's the first time I can't build a restaurant in a world. Can anyone help me please?

I managed to build a restaurant on the site near the waterfall. First I went as a customer then I bought it. Both times it worked as it should. Maybe try placing an existing restaurant on a site first and see if that works. : )
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,145 Member
    Personally, I think Forgotten Hollow & Glimmerbrook are ridiculously too small worlds. Henford has 12 lots which is so much better than 5 lots.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Good to learn that Windenburg offers an expansive world. As a late adopter of TS4, there have always been packs, expansions, etc. for me to choose among, gradually, selecting those that specifically appeal to how I want to play. Get Together has not yet made it to the top of my list, although it is rising - mostly for Build/Buy, though cafés also have some appeal (DJing and nightclubs really do not).

More lots to play with is another big draw.

I am loving the environment of Henford on Bagley, and not finding it as tight as feared, but I can always use more space. Some day, I might actually make a dedicated Newcrest that's fully built, but currently use its empty spaces as build slots, save to Library, and add those builds to the world they were intended for if they work out (which they don't always).
  • Options
    ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited August 2021
    I was thinking the same thing. I was watching the map and thinking about all the space there is for more lots. It would be awesome if the town had a small area with houses, and anoher where you can place some shops, retails... etc.

I wanted to open a bakery, but I don't want to destroy any of the residences there, besides, I don't really like the surrounding area for a bakery, I'd prefer some lot more integrated to the town just like the area where's the bar.

They should have swtiched the residential area to the part of the town behind the little bridge, where you can see the houses but you can't pass by. That would have been really cute. Imaging sims comming back home from the groceries and pass that little bridge on bike. Then, they could have left some space in the center of the town to place at least one empty lot.

I was imaging something like this

84c5fbfbb86a891c6c59b5ee0ca8a80b784dc52d.jpg

Post edited by Elisdream on
  • Options
    RickycanajaRickycanaja Posts: 6 New Member
    > @lori171957 said:
    > I managed to build a restaurant on the site near the waterfall. First I went as a customer then I bought it. Both times it worked as it should. Maybe try placing an existing restaurant on a site first and see if that works. : )

i will try to do the same, thank you
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    I actually like the fact that it's a little village. I think it fits quite nicely with the pack.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,996 Member
    I think the world that upset me the most was Del sol valley. It just seemed wrong to have such a small world that was inspired LA

I feel the same. Del Sol Valley definitely should have some beach lots, a few more downtown lots and either some middle class lots (mid century type), or a few more lower end lots with varying types of houses. It’s one of the cities that should have been the largest in my opinion.

I wouldn’t mind another city that approximates or fits in with Del Sol Valley, like a city with a place for theme parks ( we make ourselves ) and beaches. But, having a larger world for Del Sol Valley is something that should have really happened.
  • Options
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I think the world that upset me the most was Del sol valley. It just seemed wrong to have such a small world that was inspired LA

I feel the same. Del Sol Valley definitely should have some beach lots, a few more downtown lots and either some middle class lots (mid century type), or a few more lower end lots with varying types of houses. It’s one of the cities that should have been the largest in my opinion.

I wouldn’t mind another city that approximates or fits in with Del Sol Valley, like a city with a place for theme parks ( we make ourselves ) and beaches. But, having a larger world for Del Sol Valley is something that should have really happened.

Considering that it's designed to be reminiscent of Los Angeles (City of Lost Angels) which is huge, it is a disappointment. There is no room to spread my Sims out. Most of the neighborhoods get filled up, whether or not I turn off fill empty lots! What is up with that. I have a Sim born in game that grows up, where am I to place them? It's silly and sad they couldn't think of this up front when designing the game. On the whole I'm pleased with Sims4, but like all the other Sim games in the franchise, it has its limitations, too.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Personally, I think Forgotten Hollow & Glimmerbrook are ridiculously too small worlds. Henford has 12 lots which is so much better than 5 lots.

same, those are the only worlds that are ridiculously small in my eyes, especially FH since their is no other world even remotely like it it shouldve been bigger imho.

HoB is just the right size for me.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat