The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims cannot directly drown sims

I'm not the only person who's had the idea to create a evil, seductive siren that drowns sailors(or sims in this case). But unfortunately Sims cannot directly drown sims, all they seem to be able to do is drain their motives and harass them for a number of hours hoping the will tire and drown! Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quite disappointed actually :(
Are you disappointed too? Let us know in the poll below!

Sims cannot directly drown sims 174 votes

Yes totally disappointed
69%
CK213KamioicmnfrshJeanBluefairy286Kita5399Icewolfalan650111MadstarletEIisabettaColorist40overonSleepycatDSLAlrynnDglbr1969StrangerthanelanorbretonGoldenBuffyUmbralFlowerHipposandLasers 121 votes
No not really a feature I would use
30%
Akl500PBreeSashaGalacticGalmaggidestoAlexairudolphaPlayerSinger2010Mi9shaoscarWritin_RegSimburiantegteg87SimQueenie9BeardedgeekCherryrose_xsimgirl1010JestTruAjaGioalanmichael1Vulorideeman190 53 votes

Comments

• Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Yes totally disappointed
    Yeah, it's kinda disappointing, but I think there is a chance that they will drown, not sure since I haven't tried it out yet.

I'm mostly disappointed that there wasn't an animation where the mermaid would pull down the sim. Kinda morbid perhaps, but still!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I thought there was a mermaid power that allowed them to summon a dark force that pulled another sim under, and had a chance of drowning them.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,044 Member
    Yes totally disappointed
    They can't even drown them indirectly it seems. Since they made a thing out of it, I'm kinda angry at the gurus right now. Don't tell people mermaid's can kill sims if it's not true, like 🐸🐸🐸🐸?
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    RaevynRaevyn Posts: 428 Member
    Yes totally disappointed
    Aine wrote: »
    They can't even drown them indirectly it seems. Since they made a thing out of it, I'm kinda angry at the gurus right now. Don't tell people mermaid's can kill sims if it's not true, like plum?

Totally agree. They teased like you could & you cannot. A lot of people are upset about it. I hope the gurus are reading these posts & update the game to let sims do it.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,138 Member
    I'd love it but also I am sure sims team would never add that especially for sims 4 as that is direct murder sim to sim
    I am hoping modder to pick on that instead it might take some time though
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Yes totally disappointed
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I'd love it but also I am sure sims team would never add that especially for sims 4 as that is direct murder sim to sim

Yes I agree. It's a shame that people have to mod for certain aspects of the game (especially since mods can cause serious bugs).
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    No not really a feature I would use
    What a bloodthirsty lot you are lol
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,968 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes totally disappointed
    I extra created a siren for that.

Right. But what about Vampires? Directly they "can't" kill Sims, but if you repeat some actions, the Sim finally dies.
    Should be same with mermaids.

Has anyone tried to drown a Sim several times in a row? This might kill him in the end? (low energy for swimming).
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    Busufu wrote: »
    I extra created a siren for that.

Right. But what about Vampires? Directly they "can't" kill Sims, but if you repeat some actions, the Sim finally dies.
    Should be same with mermaids.

Has anyone tried to drown a Sim several times in a row? This might kill him in the end? (low energy for swimming).

What action can Vampires do repeatedly that'd lead to a Sim's death?
    The game seems to cancel stuff like Mesmerize or Irresistible Slumber if the target's Needs are too low.
    And you can't do stuff like Deprive Needs if a Sim's needs are too low. (So no spamming Deprive Hunger to instantly starve a Sim)

Though Vampires do get the deadliest thing, Influence Emotions (well, not right now since it's bugged).
    No need to spam that, just get it to rank 3 and choose Anger or Embarrassment and you can make Sims drop like flies.

I guess the closest thing would be to deprive a Sim's Energy and then "Swim With..." and make them swim far out before they become too Uncomfortable to enter to water.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,211 Member
    My siren sisters will still have that backstory and a few ghosts haunting their shipwreck. 80% of playing The Sims is playing pretend anyway, and their ability to at least pull swimming sims underwater will be enough for me to keep up the illusion.
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Yes totally disappointed
    I wonder where that rumor originally came from. There are so many people who created deadly, evil mermaids and they all seem to realize now that you can't really drown other Sims. It's quite upsetting.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,596 Member
    edited June 2019
    Sims have never really been able to do harm to another directly that would result in killing so I'm not surprised. It's always been pretty indirectly. Still doesn't make mermaids any less dangerous because you can't just drown them right then and there. Had did it to a couple of unsuspecting sims swimming out into the ocean and their motives tank being all in the red. I haven't had any of them make it back successfully to land yet.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    This, I presume, is the case because it would raise the game rating. It can't be added without also drowning the game's market.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    This, I presume, is the case because it would raise the game rating. It can't be added without also drowning the game's market.

It's rated T for teen, though? Having murderous sirens would fit well within the rating, especially since the violence would be non-graphic.

But, still, just like there's a mod that immediately kills sims if a vampire drinks too deeply, there will likely be a mod for this. If people really want this feature, they can have it.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,422 Member
    Yes totally disappointed
    I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I'm not sure if the Sims could add murder and keep their teen rating. It's a good thing I love mods.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Yes totally disappointed

Then they shouldn’t have allowed the game changers to share said information. It’s that simple.

That aside, unless it was some sort of graphic depiction of drowning I think they could get away with it especially if there’s some sort of occult magic in the mix as well. I think some people forget some of the ways you can kill sims in this game. Like one more fantasy depiction of death would raise this game rating. Lol this game is rated T for Teen, not E or E10+. This isn’t supposed to be a children’s game, which you would think it is by some of the comments from players and developers. They could get a lot edgier without “drowning” the games market. I doubt parents are going over these packs with a fine-tooth comb, and the T rating sure isn’t stopping them from letting their kids play it already.

There’s an established market for this game and it’s never been overly concerned with pleasing helicopter parents who buy T rated games for their children. Are they having that much of an issue getting teens-adults to play this game that they have to pander to children??? Weird
  • Options
    AkilAkil Posts: 254 Member
    Yes totally disappointed
    How though? Apex Legends, an EA battle royal game, is also Teen rated. In particular for Blood and Violence. I don't see how a sim being pulled under water and drowning even compares.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited June 2019
    I don't think its really the rating even
    its just they don't want direct sim murders
    i don't recall them ever being a thing in sims
    like up to now emotional deaths are probably closest it gets to being ''direct''
    ...or woohooing your grandpa bae too much
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Yes totally disappointed
    like up to now emotional deaths are probably closest it gets to being ''direct''

I agree. Many other games have much much more Direct violence & have the same rating. See above post.
  • Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes totally disappointed
    So in a game where you can die by starvation, immolation, hypothermia among other more creative ways of dying, where elders can literally [Removed - CM], where going into a murder spree is the first thing new players do when they first play a Sims game, and it's somehow crossing a line to have a totally unrealistic death by mythological creature...right. I'm sorry but that ship has sailed, devs are cutting features based on god knows what reason, people complain all the time about lack of depth in the series, it's poor decisions all around. I hope they reconsider and listen to the feedback.
    Post edited by EA_Joz on
  • Options
    TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Sims have never really been able to do harm to another directly that would result in killing so I'm not surprised. It's always been pretty indirectly. Still doesn't make mermaids any less dangerous because you can't just drown them right then and there. Had did it to a couple of unsuspecting sims swimming out into the ocean and their motives tank being all in the red. I haven't had any of them make it back successfully to land yet.

I mean...this. Never, in the Sims nearly 20 year run, has a Sim ever been able to directly kill another Sim without mods being involved.
  • Options
    IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member

I mean...this. Never, in the Sims nearly 20 year run, has a Sim ever been able to directly kill another Sim without mods being involved.

A Sim giving an Elder a Death Flower scented Flower Arrangement.
    Murder by aging. And it's pretty direct, as far as that kind of stuff goes.
  • Options
    TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Okay other than that, what else? Because I can’t think of a Sim ever able to kill another Sim like what users want mentioned above.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Yes totally disappointed
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Okay other than that, what else? Because I can’t think of a Sim ever able to kill another Sim like what users want mentioned above.

A sim feeding a whole party of other sims poor quality pufferfish sashimi
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Yes totally disappointed
    I am personally not asking for any random sims to be able to drown another sim. I am dissapointed that EVIL MERMAIDS can't do it. It could have been something like you have to do the interaction twice, like how it works with the cowplant or woohoo with an elder.
    Once is a warning, two is deadly.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.