Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How has your game playing changed since the transgender/cross dressing update?

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Opening all CAS assets up to all Sims regardless of gender is something I've asked for for a long time, and I was very happy to see it implemented in the game. I've been able to make a much more accurate Sim of my genderqueer spouse, who is male-assigned and prefers feminine clothing and hair. (I'm trans myself, but my own Simself didn't change much.) I also created a trans female Sim, and had her go through a gender transition during gameplay. She married a genderqueer Sim, and their niece (niecephew? there aren't good gender-neutral words for this) is genderqueer as well. I took a lot of screenshots and will probably upload a story eventually...

just out of curiosity, I seem to have run into a snag, how do you change someone's gender options during gameplay. I thought it would be easy enough using the cheat, but I can't seem to manage it with pre-existing sims.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    @liliaeth Click on a mirror and select "Change Sim." :smile:
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    edited August 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    agender

I know that this is mostly the wrong place for it as it is off topic, but maybe you guys could help me wrap my head around it, even though I doubt that this is possible.

What is agender?

The way that I see it, I am a girl. I like being a girl. If I felt like I should be a boy I could transition and be transgender. If I wanted to occasionally cross dress, I could be a cross dresser. If I felt no attraction to absolutely anyone I would be plum.
    The way that I see it, there's no such thing as a clear cut thing of what boys should do, or girls should do, as in this century everyone can do everything. I can be a short haired girl that likes video games and it does not change my gender. If you're a long haired boy that likes ballet, that still does not change your gender. Your hobbies and appearance does not change your gender.

Humans are bi-gendered species. So when someone says that they don't have a gender, I can't wrap my head around it, because surely, you identify as something. So that is the point I do not get.

It is true that your hobbies and clothing/hair preferences do not determine your gender. But you seem to be confusing gender, sex, and sexual orientation. Gender is an internal sense of self that is independent of body parts but can also be influenced by cultural norms. Humans normally are assigned one of two sexes, male or female, at birth, but there are also inter.sex people. And who you are attracted to is a separate issue entirely from who you are.

I could say a lot more (I blog and give talks on these subjects) but this is indeed off-topic for this forum. I'd post a link to my blog but I don't think that's allowed here.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    My play style hasn't changed too much since the patch, except for the occasional short hair on a female or long for a male.
    When the patch first came out, I picked a randomly generated family and basically made them all trans, just to experiment.
    In my game, I like to throw parties and light flirty incense, so all guests get flirty and hopefully get a romantic relation with someone, then I go in the household and get those sims married and make them have children.
    I was disappointed with my trans family, because I wanted the male son, who identified as a female, to have a boyfriend. But he autonomously had feelings for another female sim. The same thing happened with his sister, who I had identifying as a male. She fell for a male sim....
    I still get the bug where siblings and cousins have the romantic bar, but ive never once had a sim flirt or get a romantic bar autonomously with the same sex, which makes me sad, and is why I don't use this patch very much.
    I like to let my sims choose who they wana be with, I know I could just make a trans or gay sim if I wanted, but I don't want to pick a sim randomly... I want my sim to "tell" me, if you will....
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I mean nothing's really changed how I play. The update just broadens more possibilities.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Not interested in it at all. I could say more, but I will keep those thoughts to myself.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,989 Member
    Even thought I don't use it much, I'm very happy we have it. More options is always appreciated.

The only thing I did, was have Gunther Goth's formal outfit a little black dress. Anyway, he wears it all the time! Whenever I see him, he's in the dress. Which makes me laugh, because all other sims wear there everyday outfits. But not Gunther. Always the dress! Come to think of it, maybe I should get him more female clothes.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,169 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    Even thought I don't use it much, I'm very happy we have it. More options is always appreciated.

The only thing I did, was have Gunther Goth's formal outfit a little black dress. Anyway, he wears it all the time! Whenever I see him, he's in the dress. Which makes me laugh, because all other sims wear there everyday outfits. But not Gunther. Always the dress! Come to think of it, maybe I should get him more female clothes.

I'd love to see a pic. :#
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    It hasn't but I love having the option
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited August 2016
    It's given me some wonderful new options for stories and Sim creations.
    I play very open-mindedly, perhaps with a bias for q ueer stories.
  • Options
    LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    I've been a bit inactive on Sims 4 as of late, but overall it has had no impact on my game play. I don't use default hairs on my sims, and other than being able to better represent tomboy girls I have virtually no interest in the update at all.
    My world and it's characters were already set up before this update and everything it could have offered that might interest me I found elsewhere long ago.
    So, really nothing has changed much other than I was able to make a more accurate tomboy sim.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options
    Paneth48Paneth48 Posts: 134 Member
    Same as it was before though I did toy with it for a while. Its not something that I use or pertains to me but I'm glad others now get a chance to express themselves the way they want in the game =)
  • Options
    amandajoy27amandajoy27 Posts: 167 Member
    Hasn't changed it at all..not into that stuff to me it was a wasted update especially when there is so much other issues that needed to be addressed!!
    8yz411.jpg

Add me on Origin ID: Amanda3024
  • Options
    MissMaddy1021MissMaddy1021 Posts: 83 Member
    I've never really made same sex or trans sims, nothing against them, but I haven't really made any yet. I really like using the male hair on my females, and likewise with some of the shorter female hair on my dudes. :)
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Hasn't changed it at all..not into that stuff to me it was a wasted update especially when there is so much other issues that needed to be addressed!!

I wouldn't call it wasted. While I agree TS4 has a lot of issues to be fixed, it made more players feel included in the game play. Then again that's the way TS4 plays. Some players like the play and others have a real problem finding theirs.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    itsugitsug Posts: 1,613 Member
    edited August 2016
    imhappy wrote: »

Funny that you use Gunther for this, while I give his son some nice skirts and blouses. :)
    (Alexander is still a kid, so no mesh issues there. :) )
    Admin and on Support team of MC CmD @ Discord - https://discord.gg/Jcc8uRW
    MC CmD is available at https://deaderpool-mccc.com/
  • Options
    DuncarinDuncarin Posts: 362 Member
    Trans people are born in the wrong body and i doubt many trans would describe themselves as happy with that situation. Keeping that in mind it seems that the solution would be to create the sim in the body they wish to be in.

Giving them the wrong one just seems cruel to me.
  • Options
    Queen_RoognaQueen_Roogna Posts: 69 Member
    I like it :D a friend actually asked me to make her sim, and now it's easier to do so with the patch haha
    qQQFk.jpg
    r8dKk.jpg
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    I loved the update. I use it to give my female Sims male hairstyles, and sometimes the other way 'round as well.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited August 2016
    I've used this in so many ways to make normal trangendered sims or more a.sexual types .. then I've used it to just give new looks to my sims .. the guys stuff on the girls is usually pretty good looking.
    Then I've used it pretty deviantly to impregnate all the male and female townies with my aliens ..they were all redressed and super remade up also.. it was funny.
    There are many ways to use these options I just consider them new tools for game play and storytelling at this point.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    Duncarin wrote: »
    Trans people are born in the wrong body and i doubt many trans would describe themselves as happy with that situation. Keeping that in mind it seems that the solution would be to create the sim in the body they wish to be in.

Giving them the wrong one just seems cruel to me.

Without getting too far off-topic: Speaking as a trans person, the "born in the wrong body" narrative only applies to some of us. The trans community is quite diverse, and many trans people do not feel this way about their bodies.

In any case, I'm glad that the game now offers many combinations of "masculine" and "feminine" bodies, hairstyles, clothing, voices, etc. to suit the storytelling needs of the player, whether they consider their characters to be trans or not.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,206 Member
    I haven't used it yet (waiting on my oldest child to age up into a teen), but I like having the option. I think I'm going to have her be with a trans-person but I haven't decided yet on if I want the sim to be biologically male or female, though I'm leaning toward male because I want them to be able to have children.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »
    I haven't used it yet (waiting on my oldest child to age up into a teen), but I like having the option. I think I'm going to have her be with a trans-person but I haven't decided yet on if I want the sim to be biologically male or female, though I'm leaning toward male because I want them to be able to have children.

There's a separate setting for can be pregnant/can impregnate, so you don't have to rely on the biological sex setting.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    @mirta000 You know you don't have to use the features, right?

the fallout that happened in the forums after update, how EA doesn't EVER want to touch more conservative features, how they only did this as an advertisement ploy to SJWs and how you couldn't comment on a single little piece of the patch without being called names was enough to make me not want to touch the game anymore.

To clarify I was looking forward to some clothing and haircuts being made unisex, however I felt uncomfortable with same sex pregnancies, but was completely shut down by moderators and forum goers alike, despite keeping my messages as respectful as I could.

"sjws"....really?
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    doedear wrote: »
    @mirta000 You know you don't have to use the features, right?

the fallout that happened in the forums after update, how EA doesn't EVER want to touch more conservative features, how they only did this as an advertisement ploy to SJWs and how you couldn't comment on a single little piece of the patch without being called names was enough to make me not want to touch the game anymore.

To clarify I was looking forward to some clothing and haircuts being made unisex, however I felt uncomfortable with same sex pregnancies, but was completely shut down by moderators and forum goers alike, despite keeping my messages as respectful as I could.

"sjws"....really?

Yeah, I know. As a member of a group often discriminated against, I find it pretty offensive. "Social justice warrior (SJW)" - derogatory term for people who are in defense of victims of discrimination (usually women, people of color, LGBTs).

And they use it a lot. So does Alex Jones. I ignore him, too.