Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Being Negative Can Ruin This Game..

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,003 Member
    I went into Sims4 with an open mindset. I had finally decided to look into the game prior to its release, once I learned it was no longer going to be an online game. I heard all that had gone wrong when they tried a version of Sims online years before, and decided, no it just wasn't for me. So, after reading the threads about this new iteration, I found myself getting very excited about it and what it had to offer. I went ahead and paid FULL price for the base game, getting the Limited Edition, over the Collector's, paid it up front, too. Then just days to release, it was announced toddlers weren't going to be in the game after all. They had been yanked (as it was said at the time) because they weren't complete and EA didn't wish to release them in that state. At this moment a crisis arose for me. Should I cancel my preorder? I really tossed it back and forth in my mind. Chatted with my grown daughter about it and then made the decision to give it a try. But, I did so with the caveat if the game didn't wow me, I wouldn't spend another dime, nay not a red cent more on this iteration.

I was quite pleased with what I saw. The CAS was dramatically improved. The build mode had a bit of a learning curve for me, but now I love it. I liked the look of the game, top to bottom. (I had also spent some of the count-down to release playing Sims2: Ultimate Collection, so I was used to loading screens again.) Mostly the Sims, themselves, convinced me it was worth sticking with it. They were LIVELY again, in a way they never were in Sims3. Now, are they superior to the Sims (in behavior) to those little pixels in Sims2. Not quite, but they are much closer than the ones in Sims3. I liked them so much I decided to purchase everything offered to date.

However, despite my previous enjoyment of this game, I'm finding myself at odds with it suddenly. Mostly, because I've committed myself to completing my Legacy Challenge game, that I'm also blogging about, and well, as it sometimes happens in Legacies, it's gotten boring. There's just not that much interesting going on. My goodness, my Heir-Apparent is now three days off of being a teen — he becomes the 'official' heir once he's a YA. But, I only chiseled off one day between two gaming sessions.

I'm anxious, agitated and need a release—Sims2 got me through some very rough patches in my life. Sims4 isn't cutting it. Once again, I'm grieving over the loss of a dear, dear pet dog, but the game just isn't capturing my attention enough to ease my mind. So, I've done myself a little favor this past week. I've played a bit of Sims2 and then Sims3, twice this week. Before I switched to either of these games, I did spend a little time in Sims4, as noted above. But my goodness, I'm almost to Gen. 7 out of the required 10. So close, but yet so far. I'd let myself play a different game save, but I know I'll lose myself to that family and may never get back to my Legacy Challenge. :open_mouth:

So while I do agree, keeping an open mind can be helpful, there comes a time when you just have to realize it's the game, it's not you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2016
    I went into Sims4 with an open mindset. I had finally decided to look into the game prior to its release, once I learned it was no longer going to be an online game. I heard all that had gone wrong when they tried a version of Sims online years before, and decided, no it just wasn't for me. So, after reading the threads about this new iteration, I found myself getting very excited about it and what it had to offer. I went ahead and paid FULL price for the base game, getting the Limited Edition, over the Collector's, paid it up front, too. Then just days to release, it was announced toddlers weren't going to be in the game after all. They had been yanked (as it was said at the time) because they weren't complete and EA didn't wish to release them in that state. At this moment a crisis arose for me. Should I cancel my preorder? I really tossed it back and forth in my mind. Chatted with my grown daughter about it and then made the decision to give it a try. But, I did so with the caveat if the game didn't wow me, I wouldn't spend another dime, nay not a red cent more on this iteration.

I was quite pleased with what I saw. The CAS was dramatically improved. The build mode had a bit of a learning curve for me, but now I love it. I liked the look of the game, top to bottom. (I had also spent some of the count-down to release playing Sims2: Ultimate Collection, so I was used to loading screens again.) Mostly the Sims, themselves, convinced me it was worth sticking with it. They were LIVELY again, in a way they never were in Sims3. Now, are they superior to the Sims (in behavior) to those little pixels in Sims2. Not quite, but they are much closer than the ones in Sims3. I liked them so much I decided to purchase everything offered to date.

However, despite my previous enjoyment of this game, I'm finding myself at odds with it suddenly. Mostly, because I've committed myself to completing my Legacy Challenge game, that I'm also blogging about, and well, as it sometimes happens in Legacies, it's gotten boring. There's just not that much interesting going on. My goodness, my Heir-Apparent is now three days off of being a teen — he becomes the 'official' heir once he's a YA. But, I only chiseled off one day between two gaming sessions.

I'm anxious, agitated and need a release—Sims2 got me through some very rough patches in my life. Sims4 isn't cutting it. Once again, I'm grieving over the loss of a dear, dear pet dog, but the game just isn't capturing my attention enough to ease my mind. So, I've done myself a little favor this past week. I've played a bit of Sims2 and then Sims3, twice this week. Before I switched to either of these games, I did spend a little time in Sims4, as noted above. But my goodness, I'm almost to Gen. 7 out of the required 10. So close, but yet so far. I'd let myself play a different game save, but I know I'll lose myself to that family and may never get back to my Legacy Challenge. :open_mouth:

So while I do agree, keeping an open mind can be helpful, there comes a time when you just have to realize it's the game, it's not you.
    Great post and I'm so sorry about your dog. I lost my dog two years ago. I hope that you are able to find a new furry friend when the time is right. Hang in there with that. That is so true and what I realized too. There is only so much open-mindedness and thinking of potential that can come about before realizing it just isn't worth waiting for anymore. I forgot where I heard it from, but someone said if a game doesn't capture you in the first five minutes, then it will end up being a disappointment. I think that was true with me too. I've never gotten bored while playing the Sims 1 and 2 so really shows if a game will be fun towards someone or not especially over time. Time is a good factor in determining how replayable a game can be or not. It varies from Simmer to Simmer with time. The Sims 3 I remember I entered into the game disappointed and it wasn't until the Sims 4 was released I really started getting into the Sims 3. So opinions can change either way with time. The Sims 3 is extremely pretty with my new computer. I think it is neat I'm still discovering new things in the older iterations, so it is like a continuous learning process going on. I think it is good when games teach good lessons and how to problem solve.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Paneth48Paneth48 Posts: 134 Member
    The only part that REALLY bothers me is the color pallets. Why dosent everything at least come in the basic color pallet? Like Red, Blue, Green, Black, White? At least then I could do some theme building on colors I like. Instead if I'm trying to match items to my home, I'm having to pick up the worst item to match it or there isnt anything at all. Thats really the only thing that bothers me about Sims 4.
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    @GalacticGal I'm sorry to hear about your dog :'(
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    This thread needs to be moved, just like the other one was.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I'm sure a positive thread in feedback would go over real well. :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 397 Member
    edited August 2016
    I gotta laugh. When the Sims first came out in 2000 I liked the look of it so I bought it and played it. Then I bought Hot Date when it came out. Had a lot of fun. I didn't think about it at all. Where did this goofy idea come from anyway? Being positive will make a game more fun? Sounds like one of the things that a lame motivational speaker drones on about at an extremely boring corporate retreat. This isn't a life decision you know. This isn't like deciding on a major career move. I didn't light incense and meditate for hours to elevate my mood before I played the Sims. I sat down. I installed the game. I played for hours. I had fun. Same with Sims 2. Same with Sims 3. That's it. A game is either fun or it's not. I repeat, a game is either fun or it's not. (ps. I wonder how long it will take for them to delete this one...lol)
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,360 Member
    I love the game but I have to agree with those who say a positive attitude can only go so far. We are two years in and if you're not having fun yet then you probably never will.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Attitude and willing to try new things can make a difference in whether or not you like something, though there are limits. Before saying you hate a certain vegetable, try it cooked several different ways, and with different sauces and condiments. My parents always made me take one bite of everything on my plate, and as a result, I learned to like things I otherwise wouldn't. And sometimes things can be well-enough disguised that you don't know in advance you don't like them, and sometimes find that you do. Still, not everyone likes, say, veggie burgers, no matter which sauces or condiments are put on it.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    MoxitopMoxitop Posts: 6 New Member
    Sorry, don't wanna derail the thread but gotta ask, why is this thread still not in the feedback like all the others .....?
  • Options
    Moxitop wrote: »
    Sorry, don't wanna derail the thread but gotta ask, why is this thread still not in the feedback like all the others .....?

I think the difference in the two threads is that the OP in this thread is genuinely trying to offer a suggestion on how simmers might try to enjoy the game. Whether it works or not it would fall under the heading of gameplay tips and thus belongs in GD. This forum is after all focused on helping people get the most enjoyment from their games.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @JulianaJujuba Good reply :smile:

Once again I have been seeing a lot of talk comparing how much content TS3 had within two years compared to TS4 and I know it is not fair to compare the two games but TS4 is just about to hit the 2 year mark next Friday so some Simmers will be reviewing the situation over the past two years.

How much better are things now compared to two years ago?

While also, how well will things pan out in the next two years?

One EP a year would mean at the most, TS4 could have up to 6 EPs and a number of smaller GPs and a few SPs.

No Store and only a select number of patched in freebies.

In the final year of TS4's life span would will still be able to compare it to TS3? Which game would have come out as the better one?

If TS4 wants to over take TS3 as the 'most innovative Simming experience yet then it needs to get it's boots on and throw out more content, and by that, content that players actually want.

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited August 2016

Once again I have been seeing a lot of talk comparing how much content TS3 had within two years compared to TS4 and I know it is not fair to compare the two games but TS4 is just about to hit the 2 year mark next Friday so some Simmers will be reviewing the situation over the past two years.

One EP a year would mean at the most, TS4 could have up to 6 EPs and a number of smaller GPs and a few SPs.

In the final year of TS4's life span would will still be able to compare it to TS3? Which game would have come out as the better one?

If TS4 wants to over take TS3 as the 'most innovative Simming experience yet then it needs to get it's boots on and throw out more content, and by that, content that players actually want.

Everyone has their 'Well, if it hasn't become what I want....' mark. In some instances said mark moves. In others it doesn't. You're best off not comparing, though I know in the end, for some, that's impossible not to do.

Unless we're psychic there's no way of knowing how things will be in two years time.

You don't know that there will only be one EP a year. They've said not to expect a release schedule, so my suggestion is not to. They've said their live service, such as it is, is something they're still tinkering with. Eventually, one assumes, they'll find a happy medium.

Stuff packs = Store (or as near to as it doesn't matter). If they carry on as they are, we'll end up with more 'freebies' than TS3 by the end of the game's life cycle. Assuming things like game length and the like.

Again, best not to compare.

I don't think they want it to or us to. I believe they want us to view it as a game in it's own right. I've never actually seen anybody describe TS3 as the 'most innovative Simming experience yet', barring yourself? They have this mysterious vision, which they'll stick to, whether it's liked or agreed with or not. Some content that simmers want will be released. By and large, though it will become a game in it's own right, without the content that simmers want. They've always tended to follow their own vision, otherwise TS3 would've ended up TS2 with an open world and TS4 would be a mix between TS3 and TS2. There's no way they can please everyone.

Eventually each of us will have to decide whether it's worth sticking with, no matter what yard stick we use to measure.

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    From what I've seen...the people that "dislike" TS4 won't even give the game a chance because of the missing content, and that's their own prerogative. No change in mindset will probably ever change that.
    Plus it's easier for the people that dislike TS3 to try it because it's way cheaper and easier to afford compared to TS4.

Edit: But I do agree, a change of mindset can make the game a better experience.

I have owned all series in the sims including all the sims 4
    However it's not the lack of content why I dislike this game and more about

Lack of control and tools in this game
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    edited August 2016

I want to be fair Sims 4 has improved since the launch but possibly to a point that Sims 4 may not get beyond. Unless the devs can show they can take Sims 4 to the next level by adding editors, more variation of colors and not just the basic or primary color group and creation tools. I believe Sims 4 cannot satisfy most customers who want more than a pretty game, items and emotions and lets not forget a game that just runs, for a game to be really successful it has to do more than just run for that is only one part of game making. :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options

I think the difference in the two threads is that the OP in this thread is genuinely trying to offer a suggestion on how simmers might try to enjoy the game. Whether it works or not it would fall under the heading of gameplay tips and thus belongs in GD. This forum is after all focused on helping people get the most enjoyment from their games.

Nope. Still belongs in feedback.
  • Options

Well, bottom line EA/Maxis wants to promote the positivity. Their forums, their rules.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2016

Well, bottom line EA/Maxis wants to promote the positivity. Their forums, their rules.
    I find both threads equal but I do see a general bias shown and hijacking going on with the other thread with the intent of getting it closed as usual. I noticed not everyone can handle negativity, shows why the Sims 4 was designed to be too politically correct which has been an interesting social experiment shown in both threads. But it is interesting to see how the Sims 4 was designed to be a game to be political correct and why dark humor isn't a thing anymore.

I do agree with you on this point and sums up both threads nicely,
    "I love the game but I have to agree with those who say a positive attitude can only go so far. We are two years in and if you're not having fun yet then you probably never will."

Pretty much there is no changing someone's mind about the game or forcing them to like a game. Driving that negativity that someone is wrong with countless labels just will cause further negativity everywhere including fan sites. So like if someone is truly positive, they need to be positive towards other players and accept that deviant Simmers exist too, so their definition of good isn't the same as a so called "positive" player.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited August 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    This. The simulation aspect of the game is not there. In simulations, everything matters. Not just the character you are playing, but also the characters in the background, the world, the influences, the timing. This game had tremendous potential, but that was squandered straight away. I don't understand why the team doesn't understand what they are doing wrong. (and please don't get huffy if you like the game, this is obviously not directed at you)

I couldn't agree with you more. Nothing really matters that happens "in the background" in TS4. There's no rumors, no stories. The NPCs have jobs, sometimes, that's about all the character they have, really. What you see when you go out doesn't really happen, it's just a bunch of animations to make their neighborhoods feel somewhat real by filling them up with sims (to the point that you've constantly got this ridiculous stream of passers-by out in front of your door - day in, day out - for no discernible reason at all). But if you look at the relationship panels, you quickly notice that all these interactions you're seeing aren't happening. It's somehow really narcissistic if you think about it. The entire world shows up & leaves at your sim's command - because your sim is present - so they can be talked to mostly, but their actions / moods / presence is really kind of meaningless background noise that serves no other purpose than to make your sim's town seem alive. Nothing that breaks my immersion more than thinking "oh but x knows this sim, I always see them at the gym when I play this other sim ... ah, no, apparently they've never met each other". It's so .. annoying. TS3 was a very good idea, even if the execution of it wasn't brilliant. But there's something to open world, to being able to follow other sims around town and seeing what they're up to (hoping your sims don't burn each other alive at home while you're out spying), to seeing your neighbors get visitors, turn off their lights, or just talk to each other outside. And to knowing that these interactions kind of do really happen. Or to be notified when someone dies in town, because your sims somehow got to know them (not even always while I was actively watching them). I could go on forever. TS4 should've taken this "open world" and turned it into something less laggy, something more people would've enjoyed & that's better suited to rotational play.

Because like you said: like this, it doesn't feel like a simulation at all, because nothing really seems to matter. Or well, at least I can only agree. :)

• Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    ..snip...With any game you shouldn't have to change yourself to fit a game, that's just wrong and a very narrow minded way to approach a game. ..snip...

I just pulled the comment I wanted to respond to on this. I've seen people make comments like this before and can't agree with it. I don't believe there is a game in existence that doesn't require the player to make themselves "fit" the game. I just don't think it's possible. Games will always have boundaries and parameters they have to stay within. Many of them try to make it so you can choose various methods for achieving things but I don't believe it's feasible at this point in time to create a game that doesn't require the player to adjust to the boundaries of the game. The Sims is probably as close as you'll get to something like that because it's a simulation game that leaves most of the storybuilding and gameplay up to the player, but every version of the Sims has also had parameters and boundaries you had to remain within. It's just inherent in game design, computer and design limitations, and budgets.

With that said, I don't really agree with the OP, either. I agree that being negative can result in missing positives but most of the people I've seen criticize this game who weren't flat-out trolls simply trying to make trouble had specific issues with the game that caused the negative response to it.

Erpe wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    4. The conflict in this forum is also about power. Many simmers seem to think that they can force EA to give them what they want just by continuing to write the same criticism forever. Other simmers don't like this because they fear that EA instead will stop making the game. So we have power fights between those two groups.
    Yeah was keeping the political part out of the discussion, but yes it is a matter of pride and power. Those that like the Sims 4 also don't want the Sims 4 to change and want to force Gurus to continue to make features that they personally like instead of some so-called "negative" features that they may not like such as the tragic clown and klepto patches that were made. In the end, all Simmers want a game that they personally like whether the like the current state of the Sims 4 or not. I actually read a comment by a Sims 4 player that outright said, "I don't care if you ever like the Sims 4 just as long as I still like it." It's a two way street of demand of power, not just "one side" is doing it. Why the whole sides debates are futile at best and will never produce positive results but dissensus. Dissensus: difference of opinion. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dissensus
    I am not even sure that like he game because they usually don't give reasons. So how could they see simplified babies, omission of toddlers, simplified teens and simplified terrain as "improvements"? They usually just claim that they like the game. So apparently they have just decided that they want to like TS4 and that they want EA to continue making expansions for TS4 ;)

I think you possibly don't read a lot of comments from people who like the game since I consistently see people make comments about why they like the game, with some specifics and details. And, no, they don't usually use the blatantly passive-aggressive negative comments about their play styles that you posted a couple of comments down, either. Maybe if you actually read through some of the more positive threads and comments from people who like the game instead of just skimming over them and making assumptions, you'd get a better picture of why people enjoy the game. Or not--whatever works for you.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options

I find both threads equal but I do see a general bias shown and hijacking going on with the other thread with the intent of getting it closed as usual. I noticed not everyone can handle negativity, shows why the Sims 4 was designed to be too politically correct which has been an interesting social experiment shown in both threads. But it is interesting to see how the Sims 4 was designed to be a game to be political correct and why dark humor isn't a thing anymore.

I do agree with you on this point and sums up both threads nicely,
    "I love the game but I have to agree with those who say a positive attitude can only go so far. We are two years in and if you're not having fun yet then you probably never will."

Pretty much there is no changing someone's mind about the game or forcing them to like a game. Driving that negativity that someone is wrong with countless labels just will cause further negativity everywhere including fan sites. So like if someone is truly positive, they need to be positive towards other players and accept that deviant Simmers exist too, so their definition of good isn't the same as a so called "positive" player.

Yep other thread got closed. Just like how deviance got culled away from the Sims 4 via patches.

Wait...what deviance got patched out? They barely put any in to begin with; how can they take any out?

I think part of the change in where threads are going is that the honeymoon is over, so to speak. SimGuruDrake said that she took over the job and came into the forums with the intent of giving everyone the opportunity to express their dislikes, frustrations, etc. so she could understand better where people are coming from and hopefully be able to persuade some of the unhappy players into a better relationship with Maxis and the game again. So she wasn't using a firm, limited-chances method of managing the community. We've apparently hit the turning point where she/Maxis feels they've let that go on for long enough and now they're going to control how, where and what type of communication gets expressed on the forums. I'm fairly sure they still want to hear the criticisms and requests but are just planning on putting those conversations in feedback and ideas, etc., rather than leaving them in the general forum section.
  • Options
    MoxitopMoxitop Posts: 6 New Member

That's just pathetic, how can anyone take this forum even serious if they are going to swipe everything under the rug that doesn't please them. Oh well .... have fun with your general thread that should be in the feedback thread.....

And sorry again OP for semi-derailing your thread, this just bugged me way to much to stay silent.
  • Options

That's just pathetic, how can anyone take this forum even serious if they are going to swipe everything under the rug that doesn't please them. Oh well .... have fun with your general thread that should be in the feedback thread.....

And sorry again OP for semi-derailing your thread, this just bugged me way to much to stay silent.

They allowed every kind of feedback to stay in the general forums for 2 years, other than threads that just degenerated into bashing and generally being ugly. They're now going to behave like most other forums, I guess and limit the volume of negativity on the main forums. You can take it as seriously or not seriously as you like, I guess. Several of the gurus have stated that they read the feedback and idea sections quite regularly. Not sure why people seem to think their comments won't be seen there.
  • Options

Well it's good to know they don't care about fairness and bias.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top