The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Being Negative Can Ruin This Game..

Comments

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member

I'm going back to the original OP's statement. I do believe attitude plays a big part in enjoyment of anything.
    I too tried 3 again later .. still couldn't play it long (seems like I logged about 14 hours in so far total), but it just doesn't grab me.. however I don't dislike it the way I use too. Some of the quirky stuff made me smile. Either way my new attitude and cultivated openness to it didn't keep me playing it.
    I do understand where the OP is coming from though. I have found that if I'm in a bad space in general nothing much is going to appeal to me. That's when I load up the first person shooter games and have at it...
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »

Wait...what deviance got patched out? They barely put any in to begin with; how can they take any out?

I think part of the change in where threads are going is that the honeymoon is over, so to speak. SimGuruDrake said that she took over the job and came into the forums with the intent of giving everyone the opportunity to express their dislikes, frustrations, etc. so she could understand better where people are coming from and hopefully be able to persuade some of the unhappy players into a better relationship with Maxis and the game again. So she wasn't using a firm, limited-chances method of managing the community. We've apparently hit the turning point where she/Maxis feels they've let that go on for long enough and now they're going to control how, where and what type of communication gets expressed on the forums. I'm fairly sure they still want to hear the criticisms and requests but are just planning on putting those conversations in feedback and ideas, etc., rather than leaving them in the general forum section.
    Alien rates, death rates, house fires, just to name a few. There actually is a fire mod to set the chance of fires to a pre-patch rate. There have been mods to basically undo things patches have done ironically. True, the Sims 4 isn't the best game for deviance style. Why I would recommend the first Sims game.

Yeah does seem like she is trying her best to clean up forums a bit. I'm so glad about there being a separate speculation section now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ebuchala wrote: »

I just pulled the comment I wanted to respond to on this. I've seen people make comments like this before and can't agree with it. I don't believe there is a game in existence that doesn't require the player to make themselves "fit" the game. I just don't think it's possible. Games will always have boundaries and parameters they have to stay within. Many of them try to make it so you can choose various methods for achieving things but I don't believe it's feasible at this point in time to create a game that doesn't require the player to adjust to the boundaries of the game. The Sims is probably as close as you'll get to something like that because it's a simulation game that leaves most of the storybuilding and gameplay up to the player, but every version of the Sims has also had parameters and boundaries you had to remain within. It's just inherent in game design, computer and design limitations, and budgets.

With that said, I don't really agree with the OP, either. I agree that being negative can result in missing positives but most of the people I've seen criticize this game who weren't flat-out trolls simply trying to make trouble had specific issues with the game that caused the negative response to it.
    Oh no worries and true there is no perfect game. Just with the other Sims games, I didn't feel like I had to change myself to fit a game. I don't know why it is different for the Sims 4 but there are several play styles that just aren't possible to do in this iteration. With the Sims 3 it was rotational play style, but with the Sims 4 it is even more play styles that are alienated. Like for me, building, story telling, rotational, family, and deviance. If anything when people mentioned toddlers, it is just a face or front of play style alienation which I think SimGuruDrake is aware of that toddlers aren't the only issue of why players feel alienated. It is much more than that. I do think the Sims 4 has stricter design limitations which you can see with neighborhood design, relationship culling, culling, etc. Why I think life stages have to be limited too because I don't think the Sims 4 can handle more than four in the limited UI design. Even 8 Sims in the UI design look funky. Sims 4 does show its limits and with time I think Simmers are aware of those. I do agree with you those games have to fit within certain parameters set by the producers and ESRB rating system. Weird how ESRB rating system is getting stricter with the life simulation genre though, while MMOs and action games rated teen get away with more. But probably not much Maxis can do about with legal stuff and all. I mean looks how large the pixelation is for this iteration. XD I am glad certain things are allowed though like mess around in bed. Reminds me of the play in bed text that was in the Sims 1. :) There are just some areas in which romance works, but other areas in which it has been toned down a lot. Thank goodness for GT woohoo interactions.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,973 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I'm going back to the original OP's statement. I do believe attitude plays a big part in enjoyment of anything.
    I too tried 3 again later .. still couldn't play it long (seems like I logged about 14 hours in so far total), but it just doesn't grab me.. however I don't dislike it the way I use too. Some of the quirky stuff made me smile. Either way my new attitude and cultivated openness to it didn't keep me playing it.
    I do understand where the OP is coming from though. I have found that if I'm in a bad space in general nothing much is going to appeal to me. That's when I load up the first person shooter games and have at it...
    Attitude plays role in the enjoyment of an game as well as attitude plays a part in not enjoying the game. If person truly looking for an certain something to get out of the game and it is not present they will not enjoy the game so a positive attitude does not always work.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    What's really turning me off from TS4 is the lack of new gameplay features. I tend to play the game more when EPs and GPs are released. And I had a positive attitude going into this.

We have not had a new Expansion pack released or announced in nearly 10 months. 10 FREAKING MONTHS. I understand that it takes time for these things to be made, but we were getting them every three or four (sometimes even two) months back in TS3 days, and 85% of the time you could tell that the team put a ton of effort into it. Those EPs that were released for the TS3 would take months to fully explore.

At this rate, we are only going to get one expansion pack per year.

The EPs we had for The Sims 4 so far have been the same quality as TS3 ones, and those took 1/2 of the time. I don't know if the engine is harder to manage, but whatever it is it's certainly a problem.

I don't think the team realizes how much potential this game has. If they would stop focusing on Stuff Packs every month and use that time to implement EPs, this game could be even better than TS3. The two EPs we've had so far have been amazing in quality, but there's only two.

We've only had a handful of stuff packs to keep us occupied (Don't get me wrong, these stuff packs are decent, but they were not enough to occupy my interest for ten entire months) this year. And The Dine Out game pack, which was great, but it would only take 1-2 weeks to fully play it out.

TL;DR - TS4's own enemy is it's Stuff Packs.
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    edited August 2016
    What's really turning me off from TS4 is the lack of new gameplay features. I tend to play the game more when EPs and GPs are released. And I had a positive attitude going into this.

We have not had a new Expansion pack released or announced in nearly 10 months. 10 FREAKING MONTHS. I understand that it takes time for these things to be made, but we were getting them every three or four (sometimes even two) months back in TS3 days, and 85% of the time you could tell that the team put a ton of effort into it. Those EPs that were released for the TS3 would take months to fully explore.

At this rate, we are only going to get one expansion pack per year.

The EPs we had for The Sims 4 so far have been the same quality as TS3 ones, and those took 1/2 of the time. I don't know if the engine is harder to manage, but whatever it is it's certainly a problem.

I don't think the team realizes how much potential this game has. If they would stop focusing on Stuff Packs every month and use that time to implement EPs, this game could be even better than TS3. The two EPs we've had so far have been amazing in quality, but there's only two.

We've only had a handful of stuff packs to keep us occupied (Don't get me wrong, these stuff packs are decent, but they were not enough to occupy my interest for ten entire months) this year. And The Dine Out game pack, which was great, but it would only take 1-2 weeks to fully play it out.

TL;DR - TS4's own enemy is it's Stuff Packs.

Well stated! That's what I have been saying in random posts throughout the forum. I don't think the sims 4 is bad, but there is not much to do -- work, socialize, sleep, eat...repeat...repeat...repeat...

We need some diversified activities and some more traits! And the traits should give the sims more personality depth and be less about certain triggers that make them tense.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    jaxie086 wrote: »

I'm kind of shocked by this idea that now even the sims team have made other simmers think that the reason the sims 4 is unappealing is entirely the simmers fault. That the simmer needs to adjust their viewpoint. That the simmer just can't see their "vision." So the simmer thinks "well, the sims team says this game is great so let me try to adjust my viewpoint again and again and convince myself that this game is well made." NOPE.
    It's called gaslighting. Ironically I'm actually watching quite a few shows lately involving psychology like Stranger Things and Granite Flats. But yes not much different from what was done with SimCity 2013 and look how well it worked out. Game and studio was shut down. Why I refuse to let them to do the same thing to the Sims. They can shame customers all they want for not liking their products but the golden award won't be far behind if they want to keep pushing blame on customers further. If a game fails or succeeds, they are responsible for it just like any other publicly traded company out there. We will see with time if the vision is the most important than the customer again. I have no idea who is responsible for this and honestly it doesn't matter, but as a company they need to show that they have changed not just repeat past mistakes.

From the SimCity fiasco:
    "So, could we have built a subset offline mode? Yes. But we rejected that idea because it didn't fit with our vision. We did not focus on the "single city in isolation" that we have delivered in past SimCities. We recognize that there are fans – people who love the original SimCity – who want that. But we're also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality. The SimCity we delivered captures the magic of its heritage but catches up with ever-improving technology."

Instead of providing options for both styles, they only accepted the views of customers that shared their vision while alienating the rest.
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Confirmation bias is a thing.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    From what I've seen...the people that "dislike" TS4 won't even give the game a chance because of the missing content, and that's their own prerogative. No change in mindset will probably ever change that.
    Plus it's easier for the people that dislike TS3 to try it because it's way cheaper and easier to afford compared to TS4.

Edit: But I do agree, a change of mindset can make the game a better experience.

LOL that's funny. Pretty sure I've played over 30 hours of it, trying to like it and getting into it. With no luck.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Confirmation bias is a thing.

Yep, that's pretty much what this thread is revolving around. Definition for anyone who's interested.

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as
    noun
    noun: confirmation bias

the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited August 2016
    There is nothing wrong with being negative on the game. It won't ruin the game. Sure you want everybody to be positive about a game you like. It not going to happen. Everybody got opinions rather you like it or not. If everybody was same would the world be positive? Constructive criticism helps game developers know what their audience wants. No game is going to get 100% positive review.
    If everybody was same in the world. The world would be a boring world. If everything looked the same why would anybody want to travel out of their country. If you're Simguru telling your players that shame on you. You shouldn't be doing that. You should makes great games and not blame the player for your failure.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Makes me giggle thinking that forcing someone to like the Sims 4 is like forcing someone to like Justin Bieber, it just isn't going to happen. Either people like something or they don't.

Then again not everyone like the Katy Perry pack either and that was considered the worst pack to date. XD Yet there are some that did. Just shows people have different tastes.
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    Sims 3 is by far my favorite .but I have also played 2 and 4.i have played 4 since release off and on.i don't like it as much but I do think it might get better with time .the problem with sims 4,if you look at it for what it is missing and not for what it has then you will never be happy .

Because the missing content may not come for a while and most likely won't be as you remember it.though I wish we had toddlers ,seasons ,generations ,ect from its predecessors I also respect what we have already .the beauty of freedom is you can choose which one you play .sims 1,2,3 or 4 .you aren't stuck to one,given that your computer can run all of them.

Many do not live in sims 4's moment .they are always looking for the next juicy content as soon as content is released .im happy cc exists cause for some it adds much more .

I do not hate sims 4 .i simply hope it has a bright future and when it's time is done it will give way to sims 5
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    edited August 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Sims 3 is by far my favorite .but I have also played 2 and 4.i have played 4 since release off and on.i don't like it as much but I do think it might get better with time .the problem with sims 4,if you look at it for what it is missing and not for what it has then you will never be happy .

Because the missing content may not come for a while and most likely won't be as you remember it.though I wish we had toddlers ,seasons ,generations ,ect from its predecessors I also respect what we have already .the beauty of freedom is you can choose which one you play .sims 1,2,3 or 4 .you aren't stuck to one,given that your computer can run all of them.

Many do not live in sims 4's moment .they are always looking for the next juicy content as soon as content is released .im happy cc exists cause for some it adds much more .

I do not hate sims 4 .i simply hope it has a bright future and when it's time is done it will give way to sims 5

This is very wrong for most people. And even the guru's and CEO of the company have been heard saying that people that don't like TS4 don't like it because all the EPs aren't there. WRONG!

Most people don't like it because it is a shallow game with very little that appeals to players of the previous games. You know, actual simulations happing in the neighborhood, heck even in the house you are playing. There is no substance to the game, no entertainment, nothing to build upon. If I wanted to play make believe, I certainly wouldn't have spent $60 to do it. The previous games provided longevity. You could start a new game every time OR you could play the same neighborhood for years. Not with this game. The simple fact that relationships reset and culling happens...well, how many days will I actually get out of it?

That's true also .its not all about the missing content .the game does have some major flaws such as the ones you pointed out and for a lot of people it kills the game.

I myself rarely play cause the sims lack personality .or rather the way I perceived personality isn't there.everything is too happy .ive seen others complain about it too and it's like they traded personality for emotions .

However,some people don't mind it and enjoy the game anyway.i just hope they might change how personality works but for now we have what we have .
    Post edited by MemoriiValentine on
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 397 Member
    I'm trying to get my head around this idea. This idea that just thinking positive is the key. Let me get this straight. Like Sims 4 = positive. Don't like Sims 4 = negative. Hmmmm. So the idea is that if someone thinks positive a pc game that isn't fun will somehow suddenly become fun. I didn't buy Sims 4 because I thought it was just like Sims 3. I knew it was different. I knew it had loading screens. I was actually excited over the idea of playing a new Sims game (as were most simmers I think). I played Sims 4 for oh, about 200 hours. In a very positive manner too. Found myself getting bored after playing for an hour. Play for an hour. Shut it down. Play for an hour. Shut it down. Why? Because it wasn't exactly like Sims 3? Nope. Because the game play is so shallow that it cannot hold my interest for more than an hour. Am I some young guy with a short attention span? Nope. So if I think positive, that's all it takes to turn Sims 4 into a comprehensive, entertaining, life simulation game? Really?
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    inmyeye wrote: »
    I'm trying to get my head around this idea. This idea that just thinking positive is the key. Let me get this straight. Like Sims 4 = positive. Don't like Sims 4 = negative. Hmmmm. So the idea is that if someone thinks positive a pc game that isn't fun will somehow suddenly become fun. I didn't buy Sims 4 because I thought it was just like Sims 3. I knew it was different. I knew it had loading screens. I was actually excited over the idea of playing a new Sims game (as were most simmers I think). I played Sims 4 for oh, about 200 hours. In a very positive manner too. Found myself getting bored after playing for an hour. Play for an hour. Shut it down. Play for an hour. Shut it down. Why? Because it wasn't exactly like Sims 3? Nope. Because the game play is so shallow that it cannot hold my interest for more than an hour. Am I some young guy with a short attention span? Nope. So if I think positive, that's all it takes to turn Sims 4 into a comprehensive, entertaining, life simulation game? Really?

Wow I usually just ignore these comments but I couldn't resist. READ THE TOPIC I'm sick of repeating myself. I stated multiple times that it doesn't work for everyone and that it could help. Plus I meant more of a clean slate than anything but I did say that it won't work for everyone since it can at times be way more than an attitude that ruins a game.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    @GalacticGal, I know what you mean. Sims 2 got me through the loss of my grandmother. Sorry about your loss.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Scobre wrote: »
    jaxie086 wrote: »

I'm kind of shocked by this idea that now even the sims team have made other simmers think that the reason the sims 4 is unappealing is entirely the simmers fault. That the simmer needs to adjust their viewpoint. That the simmer just can't see their "vision." So the simmer thinks "well, the sims team says this game is great so let me try to adjust my viewpoint again and again and convince myself that this game is well made." NOPE.
    It's called gaslighting. Ironically I'm actually watching quite a few shows lately involving psychology like Stranger Things and Granite Flats. But yes not much different from what was done with SimCity 2013 and look how well it worked out. Game and studio was shut down. Why I refuse to let them to do the same thing to the Sims. They can shame customers all they want for not liking their products but the golden award won't be far behind if they want to keep pushing blame on customers further. If a game fails or succeeds, they are responsible for it just like any other publicly traded company out there. We will see with time if the vision is the most important than the customer again. I have no idea who is responsible for this and honestly it doesn't matter, but as a company they need to show that they have changed not just repeat past mistakes.

From the SimCity fiasco:
    "So, could we have built a subset offline mode? Yes. But we rejected that idea because it didn't fit with our vision. We did not focus on the "single city in isolation" that we have delivered in past SimCities. We recognize that there are fans – people who love the original SimCity – who want that. But we're also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality. The SimCity we delivered captures the magic of its heritage but catches up with ever-improving technology."

Instead of providing options for both styles, they only accepted the views of customers that shared their vision while alienating the rest.

Wow! Just remove SimCity and replace it with Sims4, and it's the save dribble they are recycling. smh It's a sad shame really. To completely ignore a whole fan base simply because you think your poop doesn't stink, and you only want to recognize those who will praise and kiss your bum.

Could you imagine the previous games if they hadn't listened to all their fans and took into account what they said and requested?
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options

But this is going in with the assumption that the majority of long time players who aren't enjoying Sims 4 have come in with the notion of "Well, it doesn't have this and that, so I'm not going to like it." This is farthest from the truth. Anyone who has been playing since the start, or even came in with Sims 3, knows that a base game is just that, the base. It's not going to have all the other stuff that comes along with EPs and SPs. But a base game is to have a solid foundation which it can build off of. And it shouldn't feel so sparse, so bare, that the player can't find any enjoyment.

I went into the Sims 4 knowing that it was just a base game and I was sorely disappointed with what it offered. Even with the additions, they have made the game better, but it's lacking it's most major feature. And that's actual game play and being a life simulator.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    inmyeye wrote: »

Wow I usually just ignore these comments but I couldn't resist. READ THE TOPIC I'm sick of repeating myself. I stated multiple times that it doesn't work for everyone and that it could help. Plus I meant more of a clean slate than anything but I did say that it won't work for everyone since it can at times be way more than an attitude that ruins a game.

I understand your intention behind it, and it's true: if you approach something with the mindset that it will just be disappointing, it probably will be. It just sounds off to a lot of people, simply because it's The Sims - meaning that most people did approach it with an open mindset, just like a lot of people preordered the game despite the lack of toddlers or pools. They were in it for the sims games themselves, they were willing to put up with what's missing and to enjoy the game instead. If two years in, they still don't, it just sounds weird to tell them to try and change their attitude. Because they probably didn't start out with the one they have now. Also .. but this may just be me, attitude can generally sound negative :D Anyway, doesn't mean your intentions were bad, I don't think they were. And again, your point of view generally makes sense, just not to someone who's tried it and is still very, very disappointed .. :/
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,391 Member
    @SimStaffBethelle, Please, for the love of God, MOVE THIS THREAD TO FEEDBACK!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top