Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Wolf Den -- Reading Circle for New Stories -- FULL

Comments

• Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    @DreamsInPixels Hmmmm... Depending on her personality and level of education, my tips would be to purposefully misspell a few words (If she's writing something), or to make it so that some of the words don't make sense to her, or something like that. Whenever I'm writing somebody else's perspective, I try to think just like they would. For example, with these next few chapters of Scarlet Teardrops, I have to put myself into the mindset of a blood-thirsty, evil vampire with a somewhat tragic backstory. *Refuses to say anything else so as not to spoil anything...*

That makes sense. It's been 17 years since I've been 7 so it may be a little bit before I find my footing with how to write as this character lol.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    edited July 2016
    @DreamsInPixels For me, it's been 10 years. XD

EDIT: 11 years at the end of next month. :)
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • Options
    noxximsnoxxims Posts: 134 Member
    @DreamsInPixels I would say just keep in mind that a child would most likely be more innocent and less understanding of complex social cues. For example, if someone was trying to be mean to them they might not realize it straight away. Children are generally more selfish in that they don't understand others as well as adults.
    8aec0358-095a-4e29-a083-d49ed056a897_zps3awx8cce.jpg
  • Options
    TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited July 2016
    I chose The Humble Legacy because it seems to be the one that is farthest along so far. :)

awww, thank you ;u;
    i have no idea who i wanna vote for just yet, i've been so busy recently and i'm working on a build so i haven't even had an opportunity to go and re-read to narrow it down in my mind lol

updated:
    i voted for ineffable, since it seems furthest along as well (:
  • Options
    @DreamsInPixels Hmmmm... Depending on her personality and level of education, my tips would be to purposefully misspell a few words (If she's writing something), or to make it so that some of the words don't make sense to her, or something like that. Whenever I'm writing somebody else's perspective, I try to think just like they would. For example, with these next few chapters of Scarlet Teardrops, I have to put myself into the mindset of a blood-thirsty, evil vampire with a somewhat tragic backstory. *Refuses to say anything else so as not to spoil anything...*

That makes sense. It's been 17 years since I've been 7 so it may be a little bit before I find my footing with how to write as this character lol.

as a side note; when i wrote a small short story about a year ago through the perspective as a child i always found it was really important to remember that children are initially selfish creatures! they get easily distracted by toys and stuff, they value their emotions a little more than older people, and it might take them longer to understand certain things, like being genuinely disliked or a divorce between parents, for example! (:
  • Options
    SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    Oh, also, @DreamsInPixels, children are often lied to or given very vague answers, even about simple things, and are often gullible about those sorts of things. Also, they tend to ask a lot of questions.
    "Where did mommy go?" "Mommy had to go away for a long time."
    "You better be good, or Santa Clause won't come!" *gasp!*
    "Daddy, where do babies come from?" "A giant stork carries them and brings them to the house."
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. With all of your insight, and my mom...I think I feel more confident in how to write this POV. Hopefully you'll get a sense of her personality and how her mother raised her.
  • Options
    Trying to get A Rose for Bella further along but life is totally cramping my writing groove right now. In my head the plot is going to get really interested but it feels like all of these early chapters are such a build up and it's starting to make me worry that people might be getting bored of it?

Has anyone else had an experience with wanting to rush to the exciting stuff in the story? How do you pace yourself?
  • Options
    noxxims wrote: »
    Trying to get A Rose for Bella further along but life is totally cramping my writing groove right now. In my head the plot is going to get really interested but it feels like all of these early chapters are such a build up and it's starting to make me worry that people might be getting bored of it?

Has anyone else had an experience with wanting to rush to the exciting stuff in the story? How do you pace yourself?

OH GOD! I have this problem all the time. I just push through it, because the build up is just as important as the "exciting stuff". It gives your readers a chance to figure out what this could all be leading to. How it all ties together, and what the end result will be.

I am not bored with your build up, because of the reasons I listed. I'm still trying to figure out where it's going...usually by now I'd have some kind of theory, but I have none and it's driving me crazy in a good way lol.
  • Options
    StephKillahBStephKillahB Posts: 84 Member
    Sorry I haven't been super active on here today. I want to warn that it's probably not going to get much better in the upcoming weeks, as my husband and I will be moving into our new home by the end of the month! :) We're excited but it's going to be a lot of stress in the meantime.

I'll try to keep up with everything. I hope no one has posted any new chapters that I've missed?
    L6ASt4L.jpg

Please check out my TS4 story: 'Ineffable'
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    mine updates really, really frequently hahaha but it's not too hard to catch up with! (:

@noxxims
    i hate to be "that person" but i actually really dislike build up in short stories or stories i follow online :ssometimes it helps to hear it from another perspective? not sure if this helped at all hahaha
    in my humble legacy, and even in my side story "the estate" i just kinda hope that the story in general is what keeps people hooked and not so much the "build up" because i'm definitely just not a "build up" kind of writer hahahah

if build up is super important to you and your story, however, i agree with Pixels to just kinda push through and be kinda evil laughing cause you're like, "heheheh i know what's gonna happen and yooooou don't" :)

if it helps anyone so far, i've been enjoying each story and don't think that the build up is boring hahaha
  • Options
    SubtleSimmingSubtleSimming Posts: 196 Member
    @noxxims I completely understand! I'm having that very problem in my story, I feel like I have to fully explain all of my backstories and such! But if it makes you feel any better, I don't think your story is boring or dragging out at all!!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Hey everyone, chapter 3 of my story was posted. Just thought I'd say something :)
    Post edited by UmbralFlower on
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice all! Different readers have different preferences so even though these first few chapters have been build up they are still enjoyable independently.

But the plot thickens soon! And I feel like a lot is going to happen in a very short period of time so I'm enjoying the calmness for now.

Chapter 4 will be out later today!
  • Options
    moonswirlsmoonswirls Posts: 2,350 Member
    Whew, I've been lurk reading and honestly, i've -really- been enjoying all your stories.

And I just loaded up my own queue to post for the next 4 days! :D
  • Options
    Whew, I've been lurk reading and honestly, i've -really- been enjoying all your stories.

And I just loaded up my own queue to post for the next 4 days! :D

Go vote! for monthly activity thing. I forgot to tell you about it on skype lol.
  • Options
    @DreamsInPixels Victoria is so cute! o:)
    L6ASt4L.jpg

• Options
    @DreamsInPixels Victoria is so cute! o:)

She definitely is. I can't wait to get her out of those plain clothes and into adorable outfits that fit her personality.
  • Options
    @BabyDollAnne love the first update of the day. Poor Alec...that's all I can say.
  • Options
    @BabyDollAnne love the first update of the day. Poor Alec...that's all I can say.

You gunna feel super sorry for Alec soon boo <3 and I already voted in that thing, i've been lurking while i'm getting my story running hehe x
  • Options
    @BabyDollAnne Could you link me to your story? For some reason I don't know where to find it!
    L6ASt4L.jpg

• Options
    @BabyDollAnne Could you link me to your story? For some reason I don't know where to find it!

Here you go poppet! Its in chronological order, just keep scrolling! :D
  • Options
    @BabyDollAnne Hmm. I wish I could follow you but the follow button is missing. :/
    L6ASt4L.jpg

• Options
    Finally got chapter 4 out!
  • Options
    @BabyDollAnne Hmm. I wish I could follow you but the follow button is missing. :/

Huh. Thats strange! Will have to do a little nip and tuck on the blog it seems.