Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changing sims hair color

When you change a sim's hair color, does it change their genetics?

Comments

• Options
    Carpbeat24Carpbeat24 Posts: 987 Member
    I don't believe so, no. I'm really quite happy about this because in 3, this did occur, which I found a bit annoying.
    F8wHsKZ.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2016
    MeganRose wrote: »

Yes. TS4's genetics don't save the natural hair color unlike in TS2's genetics.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    You can always switch back to natural colour for the birth (or whenever the genetics get determined) and switch back after.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    You can always switch back to natural colour for the birth (or whenever the genetics get determined) and switch back after.

For conception or birth? I've never been sure when genetics kick in... (Birth would be more convenient for sure!)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2016
    EmmaVane wrote: »

For conception or birth? I've never been sure when genetics kick in... (Birth would be more convenient for sure!)

I don't think it's determined at conception (except for gender/number according to mods like Preg Scan) because pregnant sims uploaded to the gallery/saved to library often give birth to different looking babies in different saves. Even babies only have limited visible genetics, so most may happen on age-up.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited July 2016
    Genetics used to be confirmed at conception, but now there are ways to influence the gender of the child, aren't there? So I'm not sure when exactly genetics are set.

I think TS2 had the better system for remembering genetics no matter what. The one that annoys me the most is that Sims with grey hair pass on a random hair colour to their children...
  • Options
    MicemSimsMicemSims Posts: 463 Member
    MeganRose wrote: »

I believe if you change the hair colour when using the cas.fulleditmode chat it will change the genetics but if you enter Create-a-Sim without the cheat it won't change the genetics.
  • Options
    KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,085 Member
    From my experience, it does seem to change their natural hair color much like it did in The Sims 3. I really miss the genetics system from the Sims 2, it was much better.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    s33man wrote: »
    I don't believe so, no. I'm really quite happy about this because in 3, this did occur, which I found a bit annoying.

@s33man I believe that in TS3 using the stylist rather than CAS just adds hair dye and doesn't change genetics (but that doesn't take the probability of random mutation into account, which if I remember well is 10%). @igazor Am I right ?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    @s33man I believe that in TS3 using the stylist rather than CAS just adds hair dye and doesn't change genetics (but that doesn't take the probability of random mutation into account, which if I remember well is 10%). @igazor Am I right ?
    In TS3, I was under the impression that hair color was determined at birth based on the parents' hair color at that time, no matter how it came to be that way, with a 15% chance of random mutation. The random part can be modded out, the blending can be done better with mods also, but I don't believe there is any mechanism to store original vs. dyed hair color.

Oh, except for when a sim falls victim to a pranked shower that sprays them with silly looking dye and then just washes right out. The good old Generations EP. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Oh, too bad there isn't such a thing :/
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    From my experience, it does seem to change their natural hair color much like it did in The Sims 3. I really miss the genetics system from the Sims 2, it was much better.

I agree. It was more realistic, and produced a great deal of diverse-looking Sims, while still retaining the genetics of the immediate and extended family. It's fun to play around and see a weird nose of a great grandfather be passed down to a new child.

TS3 had the worst of genetics in my personal experience, but TS2 holds number one still.