Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why the unnecessary restrictions?

Comments

• Options
    SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited June 2016
    100% agree with this, Bob Pancakes is so bored running his restaurant, I tried having him tend bar and people don't even order drinks from there, whhhhhhy can't we have them help out with delivering food and seating guests?!
    Post edited by SkewedReality04 on
  • Options
    RaevynRaevyn Posts: 428 Member
    This addon should have been part of 'get to work' and not a new expansion just another way of milking people for their money tbh. Now dont get me wrong if its something i want i will pay for it but get to work is a job xpac and running a restaurant is still a job so to me it should not have been sold as a seperate pack.
    Hmm, I'm not sure if Dine out should have been a part of 'get to work'. The main reason for this is because 'get to work' actually implies working, this pack is ANYTHING but working. More like 'observing' or just 'managing' not really 'working' or even a 'job'.
    100% agree with this, Bob Pancakes is so bored tuning his restaurant, I tried having him tend bar and people don't even order drinks from there, whhhhhhy can't we have them help out with delivering food and seating guests?!
    A question we are all here waiting for the SimGuru's to comment on. Anyone feel free to tag some SimGuru's in this so they can see and respond to our questions/concerns.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,552 Member
    XElladoraX wrote: »
    A question we are all here waiting for the SimGuru's to comment on. Anyone feel free to tag some SimGuru's in this so they can see and respond to our questions/concerns.
    Maybe @SimGuruNinja ?
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited June 2016
    This addon should have been part of 'get to work' and not a new expansion just another way of milking people for their money tbh. Now dont get me wrong if its something i want i will pay for it but get to work is a job xpac and running a restaurant is still a job so to me it should not have been sold as a seperate pack.
    Hmm, I'm not sure if Dine out should have been a part of 'get to work'. The main reason for this is because 'get to work' actually implies working, this pack is ANYTHING but working. More like 'observing' or just 'managing' not really 'working' or even a 'job'.
    100% agree with this, Bob Pancakes is so bored tuning his restaurant, I tried having him tend bar and people don't even order drinks from there, whhhhhhy can't we have them help out with delivering food and seating guests?!

I would guess that the three team members who presented the live play are the ones who should be tagged or Tweeted.

I just checked.

@SimGuruNinja @SimGuruHolms @SimGuruMegs
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    GentleSimmer1990GentleSimmer1990 Posts: 125 Member
    Hi everybody!

Coming from Sims 2 I think it's the best restaurant experience we've had in this series ^^. The focus just shifted on the management side of the game, instead of watching our sims being stuck in an animation loop for hours. However, it would have been neat if we could assign our household members to chef, host and waiter role, that's true but I am glad they set their priorities right and invested their time to make the core experience better by fixing the musical chairs game xD.
  • Options
    Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm gonna take a guess and say the reason why our managers can't intervene with the tasks of the restaurant is because it'd get really buggy if they did.

From what I've observed while playing is that restaurants run in a very script-oriented manner:
    Guests walk in,
    Host greets/seats,
    Order is put out (like in the case of player visits),
    Waiter walks over to take order,
    Waiter gives order to Chef,
    Chef cooks food & sets on platform,
    Waiter takes dish from platform and delivers to table.

Any time this sequence is not going on, waiter must clean, host stands at podium, and chef fiddles around with the stove.

From a programming perspective, this is all sequential and if anything interrupts the sequence, it can mess up. Example: Waiters seem to have a higher priority to clean dishes than to serve food. This is why when they're carrying a meal, halfway through they might decide to clean a table instead and they set the meal down and it disappears forever, ruining the sequence for that group of customers.

Asking for direct player interaction with the order of events may cause more bugs than are already present.
  • Options
    ReginalBooBellaReginalBooBella Posts: 24 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

Coming from Sims 2 I think it's the best restaurant experience we've had in this series ^^. The focus just shifted on the management side of the game, instead of watching our sims being stuck in an animation loop for hours. However, it would have been neat if we could assign our household members to chef, host and waiter role, that's true but I am glad they set their priorities right and invested their time to make the core experience better by fixing the musical chairs game xD.

It's still not fixed though. Sims get up, stare into space and then sit back down. The only reason why they can't sit in another chair is because the game prevents them from doing it, but they still get up.

This was even seen in the live stream about 30 mins in, RIGHT when they were talking about how they got rid of the glitch. A ginger Sim is seen doing the glitch and they just casually moved the camera away, ignoring it.

Additionally, taking up each role was more than just animation loops. If you think about it, the whole game is an animation loop, and managing a restaurant is very much like one. But taking up each role in TS2 allowed for more control, freedom, and gameplay, as I could grow my Sims with their restaurant, and improve their cooking and charisma skills, allowing better results.

My whole point is they didn't set their "priorities straight" at all. If we have to resort to scrapping features of a 2006 expansion to UNSUCCESSFULLY fix a bug in a "solid foundation", then that's just sad.

Your comments always give me LIFE 🐸🐸🐸🐸!! Slay mama!
  • Options
    The focus just shifted on the management side of the game, instead of watching our sims being stuck in an animation loop for hours.
    No offence is meant by this at all. But instead of watching our Sims being on a 'animation loop for hours' now we are watching them stand idle in the corner and watching the hired staff fail at their job and our star ratings fall? Because this is clearly a better 'shift' of focus, LOL.
    Sim2Spore wrote: »
    From a programming perspective, this is all sequential and if anything interrupts the sequence, it can mess up. Example: Waiters seem to have a higher priority to clean dishes than to serve food. This is why when they're carrying a meal, halfway through they might decide to clean a table instead and they set the meal down and it disappears forever, ruining the sequence for that group of customers.
    As a counter to this, numerous times my waiter staff have gone to clear a table of dishes (or going around to all of the tables to clear) and many times I have interrupted this sequence by MANUALLY grabbing dishes and moving them to the waiter stand. I've yet to run into any bugs doing so, in fact the waiter just either a. continues on, b. moves on to serving seated customers. I don't understand how me physically doing that and interrupting the waiters sequence doesnt mess up the game, but my Sim manually doing it would.
  • Options
    As a counter to this, numerous times my waiter staff have gone to clear a table of dishes (or going around to all of the tables to clear) and many times I have interrupted this sequence by MANUALLY grabbing dishes and moving them to the waiter stand. I've yet to run into any bugs doing so, in fact the waiter just either a. continues on, b. moves on to serving seated customers. I don't understand how me physically doing that and interrupting the waiters sequence doesnt mess up the game, but my Sim manually doing it would.

The cleaning that waiters do doesn't seem to involve the flow of events of the restaurant. It's just something they do when they're not delivering food or taking orders. Because sometimes they also put dirty dishes on the floor to go take care of something else.

If you clean up the messes before they get the chance to "think" about cleaning, then they won't clean because there's nothing to clean.
  • Options
    Sim2Spore wrote: »

If you clean up the messes before they get the chance to "think" about cleaning, then they won't clean because there's nothing to clean.
    I totally get where you are coming from but I dont understand how having my Sim interrupt the hired staff would be an issue? In any event, why isn't the option to host/waiter/chef available for owner-operated restaurants then? No staff would be in the way to interrupt then, therefore it wouldn't be 'buggy'.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hi Sk8rblaze!

Yes, occasionally the 'bug' still appears in my game but in a reasonable frequency. Most of the time everything works just fine.

If you compare the role of manager with the chef then you will understand what I meant with animation loop :P . The manager is very flexible while the chef is literally stuck behind the stove. And as Sims2Spore described correctly, it's disproportionate complicated to code these jobs without causing potential problems like bugs or other unnecessary things. The problem is that Sims 4 is very complex, it allows more flexibility than Sims 2 during socializing and multi-tasking friendly gameplay but it also adds many hurdles for developers. It's all about setting your priorities right!

I hope you believe me when I say that I wished Dine Out would give us more freedom with the roles. However, at the same time I can see why it is not as easy to accomplish as you would expect and why Maxis decided to shift the focus. IMO they invested their resource 'time' very efficiently. Means: We have a very good customer based experience and we can play as a manager which is fun and somewhat 'deep' in gameplay features. I am very satisfied with this dlc, in fact it's better than Outdoor Retreat or Spa Day, to be honest.

I want to adress this to XElladoraX: I am sorry that you have to idle since I don't do this in my game ^^. I talk to my guests, with my staff, sometimes, when the restaurant is not busy, I return to my office room and work on some skills. There is always stuff to do in my game :P . What I've done the last time is I had a club gathering in my restaurant, it was great fun!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I totally get where you are coming from but I dont understand how having my Sim interrupt the hired staff would be an issue? In any event, why isn't the option to host/waiter/chef available for owner-operated restaurants then? No staff would be in the way to interrupt then, therefore it wouldn't be 'buggy'.

That's essentially the same thing as turning your own sims into temporary drones to do the exact same thing as NPCs, but in the foreground instead of the background.

From a post a few days back about restaurant roles:
    463e8f2e3f.png

• Options
    Hi Sk8rblaze!

Yes, occasionally the 'bug' still appears in my game but in a reasonable frequency. Most of the time everything works just fine.

If you compare the role of manager with the chef then you will understand what I meant with animation loop :P . The manager is very flexible while the chef is literally stuck behind the stove. And as Sims2Spore described correctly, it's disproportionate complicated to code these jobs without causing potential problems like bugs or other unnecessary things. The problem is that Sims 4 is very complex, it allows more flexibility than Sims 2 during socializing and multi-tasking friendly gameplay but it also adds many hurdles for developers. It's all about setting your priorities right!

I hope you believe me when I say that I wished Dine Out would give us more freedom with the roles. However, at the same time I can see why it is not as easy to accomplish as you would expect and why Maxis decided to shift the focus. IMO they invested their resource 'time' very efficiently. Means: We have a very good customer based experience and we can play as a manager which is fun and somewhat 'deep' in gameplay features. I am very satisfied with this dlc, in fact it's better than Outdoor Retreat or Spa Day, to be honest.

I'm sorry but I just can not fathom the exchange of multi-tasking for better game play. I just don't see a game with much depth when the main points are socializing and multi tasking.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Hi PHOEBESMOM601!

This is very unfortunate to hear :(, I am sorry. But to me multi-tasking means better gameplay! It brings flexibility and makes the action, how sims do stuff, seem more real.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    DeadFishy wrote: »
    I too wish my manager sim could intervene when someone needs to be greeted or a table needs to be cleared.

You actually can greet new customers but can't clear tables. I agree that they made unnecessary restrictions especially with who you can hire.
  • Options
    Hi XElladoraX!

You see, this iteration of Sims has had socializing in its center of gameplay. It's obviously a very important feature in Sims 4, something what makes the game special to me and to many other simmers. Some people don't like it, I understand but many do. Multi-tasking is the best feature - next to clubs introduced by Get Together dlc - I've seen in this series so far. I remember back then when Sims 1 was still new people were already asking for this.

My point is that it is enhancing the game experience by giving the player flexibility and adding a very natural game flow. However, at the same time it adds some development hurdles, I won't call them limitations, though. This is nothing new, if you advance a game, things become more complicated to develop.

Let's keep the focus on Dine Out. I've said this already several times and it's true: I like the 'going out to a restaurant' experience provided by Sims 4 better than in Sims 2, and not only a little bit but by far. Multi-tasking amongst other things is mainly the reason for this.
  • Options
    Hi PHOEBESMOM601!
    But to me multi-tasking means better gameplay! It brings flexibility and makes the action, how sims do stuff, seem more real.
    Sorry to say but multi-tasking means nothing if it limits the possibilities of numerous things. In one breath you say multi-tasking means better game play as it makes stuff "seem more real". What's more real than being a chef? More real then seating a customer? More real then taking orders?
    I think I'd honestly give up the ability to have my Sims watch TV and eat, if that means I can have my Sims being a chef, actively having careers and ringing up customers, taking orders etc, because to me actively participating Sims is MORE important than watching TV while eating. The developers think multi-tasking means better game play, but I think at this stage many people are seeing it as more limits and restrictions upon a very timid foundation.
    you should know that we're building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come," he said.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/26/5847212/the-sims-4-no-pools-toddlers-outrage

Is this quote referring to the incredibly strong foundation that doesn't allow our own Sims to owner-operate their own restaurant? The very foundation that means Sims serving customers would equal bugs and glitches? I think giving the most value to players would be listening to the feedback players have been giving since day one.

No that is a pre-release quote from a Sims blog explaining why some things wouldn't be in the base game. My posting that was in response to the Guru saying if they had done what many of us wanted it would have opened the door for a ton of bugs. So on one had Maxis is saying that they were building a strong foundation to fulfill all our dreams and on the other hand are now saying that fulling our dreams would create a ton of bugs.......so which is it?

And about multi tasking.....having a Sim eat and watch TV at the same time is a poor substitute for more substantial play.
  • Options
    Hi XElladoraX!

You see, this iteration of Sims has had socializing in its center of gameplay. It's obviously a very important feature in Sims 4, something what makes the game special to me and to many other simmers. Some people don't like it, I understand but many do. Multi-tasking is the best feature - next to clubs introduced by Get Together
    dlc - I've seen in this series so far. I remember back then when Sims 1 was still new people were already asking for this.

My point is that it is enhancing the game experience by giving the player flexibility and adding a very natural game flow. However, at the same time it adds some development hurdles, I won't call them limitations, though. This is nothing new, if you advance a game, things become more complicated to develop.

Let's keep the focus on Dine Out. I've said this already several times and it's true: I like the 'going out to a restaurant' experience provided by Sims 4 better than in Sims 2, and not only a little bit but by far. Multi-tasking amongst other things is mainly the reason for this.

That part just reinforces my and others opinions that TS4 has left so many play styles in the dust by the side of the road.
  • Options
    So on one had Maxis is saying that they were building a strong foundation to fulfill all our dreams and on the other hand are now saying that fulling our dreams would create a ton of bugs.......so which is it?

And about multi tasking.....having a Sim eat and watch TV at the same time is a poor substitute for more substantial play.
    I agree, more substantial game play could have been included if multi-tasking was left out. As for the strong foundation, maybe it is a strong foundation to fulfil our dreams that's IF the developers would handle the bugs.
    you should know that we're building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come," he said.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/26/5847212/the-sims-4-no-pools-toddlers-outrage

Maybe this strong foundation that the developer is talking about is 'CAPABLE' of fulfilling our desires, but that in no way means it WILL. Yes, the foundation IS CAPABLE of doing so, BUT doing so is too buggy and has too many issues, therefore while it is capable of doing it, the developers aren't. That's basically what I took from the quote and now the YEAR (and a bit) that has followed.
  • Options
    Hi PHOEBESMOM601!

Maybe it did. I don't know. What I know is that Sims 4 right now, actually since the release of Get Together, managed to become my main Sims game I play. Sims 3 had no chance against Sims 2, I mean, objectively I still think that Sims 3 can be called a good game, personally I just didn't like to play it. :P