Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why the unnecessary restrictions?

RaevynRaevyn Posts: 428 Member
I think the pack is great and I've had a lot of fun playing it. That said I am a bit disappointed by the LACK of things my Sim can actually do.
I hire the waiter, host, chef and they do all the work, all my Sim really does is greet the customers and occasionally praise/criticise the staff.
Many occasions there has been food ready to be delivered to the customers, or people waiting at the host stand, my Sim could have EASILY taken a few dishes out to the customers, seated some customers or used her high chef skill to help cook at one of the cooking stands. But instead my Sim often stands idle in the corner UNABLE to pick up on some of the slack NOT being done by the workers. On several of my restaurants I have made my Sim a seat in the corner to just 'watch' her own restaurant being operated.

I just wish this game pack had MORE involvement of the OWNER. Or the ability for the owner to owner-operate their own business WITHOUT the need to hire ANYONE. Because right now the only way you can run a restaurant (as far as I know) is through hiring other Sims who are outside the immediately played/active household. I'd like to have an owner operated restaurant ONLY, without the extra wage expenses. This could have so easily been done by the developers since the animations etc have already been scripted. Why can't owner Sims place themselves down as both the chef/host/waiter or any combination of the above. These limitations seem like an unnecessary restriction on a game pack that could have been 'great' but was downgraded to just 'good' for no real reason.

Can any Guru comment on what appears to be very unnecessary restrictions placed upon what could have been a great gamepack?

Comments

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited June 2016
    Omri147 wrote: »
    I agree completely on that. This game pack is fun and all but we always have The Sims 2 Open For Business to compare to, where the owner (and their family members) could fill in on any job in the restaurant themselves.
    Even hiring the sims you want was easier back in the day because you could hire anyone you want directly (besides looking for employees on the phone/computer)

And EA can't really argue that OFB was an EP and this is just a GP cause restaurants was only a part of it's features.

I just wish we had more freedom with this game... The club system and the removal of gender limitations were a step in the right direction, but many features are still lacking...

Agree!

I just would have thought we would have had more freedom without even more restrictions :(

One of this games biggest problems is lack of control the past games did not have and with them continuing to take control is worrying me for any future remakes of packs with the sims 4
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member
    I agree, I wish to have a restaurant that can be run by a family, it's silly that I have to use other person to buy the restaurant and make the family that i wanted work in there.

the retail seems to remain unfixed too. I was kinda hoping that The Customer will actually line up on the cashier (with a working employee behind it) instead of waiting for me to Ring them up, my employee is still useless as he/she (despite their skill level being high and assigned with task.) will only sits in one place or hang out with customer without actually made any change to their blue bar. No Ring Up, No Serving, expecting to get proper work hours and leave whenever. (Are their mood low? Idk, they just leave and say "You've overworked me boss" at random hours, sometime its 5 hours, sometime its 8, sometime is 10. I tried to use static needs but its still the same result.)
  • Options
    ST7_MTNMANST7_MTNMAN Posts: 172 Member
    Well there is a thread where somebody figured out how to play their created sims perhaps that will make your gameplay more exciting!

There was supposed to be a patch for the retail that launched same time as when Dining out released have you tried it since?
  • Options
    ST7_MTNMAN wrote: »
    Well there is a thread where somebody figured out how to play their created sims perhaps that will make your gameplay more exciting!

There was supposed to be a patch for the retail that launched same time as when Dining out released have you tried it since?

The thread you are talking about is HIRING your own Sims which are in a different house hold (i.e. not the active household). I'm talking specifically about Sims in the active household that need to be able to operate their own restaurants, rather then just be 'spectators' to the bad work of 'hired' Sims.
    As for the patch, I'm located in Australia and by the time I bought the game I was playing on the 'latest' patch for the game, so yes, I did try it since and still the same.
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    Another restriction: you can't hire whoever you want. Why does it matter whether a sim lives in a house or not? Sims are sims, and any sim hired to do the job would just do it. But we can only hire sims who don't live in houses.

Actually, even that isn't entirely true, there is a workaround for evicting the sim from their house, hiring them, and then re-housing them. So I see even less reason for the restriction on hiring. They can do the job just as well as any townie can. (Except for the tragic fact that you can't play them ever again or they'll lose their job, due to unexplained restrictions.) I would really really love to know why they think housed sims can't be employees.
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,763 Member
    I too wish my manager sim could intervene when someone needs to be greeted or a table needs to be cleared.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,167 Member
    LiesSim wrote: »
    Everything seemed so promising but here I am, thinking sims 2 did it better (again). :neutral:
    This sentence is true about so many things in The Sims 4... (particulary the retail and restaurant owning systems).
  • Options
    TsteveTsteve Posts: 14 New Member
    OMG I so agree with this! I mainly looked forward to this pack because of the whole aspect of running, operating a restaurant. I was SOOOOO disappointed to find that even if I hire someone who has max cooking skills, that when I hire them, most of the food is burned, or not cooked to the level she should be able to prepare it, and the interactions with owner/staff is so limited. I too experienced patrons coming in, standing around and the only thing the owner could do was welcome them to the restaurant, instead of showing them to a seat. I also notice that there are times when food is delivered, and the patrons hop right out of the chair and not even eat it. I don't want to be a complainer, but there are a lot of things that could've been tweaked to make this very enjoyable. I am all for the hassel of trying to get your restaurant off the ground but at least allow us to hire cooks who have cooking ability. I placed one of the non playable characters in the game, leveled up their cooking skill, and moved them out of the neighborhood, hired them, and they CAN'T COOK! WTH?????
  • Options
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Everything seemed so promising but here I am, thinking sims 2 did it better (again). :neutral:
    This sentence is true about so many things in The Sims 4... (particulary the retail and restaurant owning systems).
    This game had the potential to be a GREAT game pack. But all these limitations and restrictions ruined that (for now anyway) so for now its just a 'good' to 'alright' game pack for the experience your Sims get when they dine out. Other than that it seems the owning a restaurant aspect was very rushed. As for the Sims 4 as a whole, I feel this explains it all "wasted potential". The Sims 4 had the potential to be the best Sims game yet, but there were SO many missed opportunities and limitations/restrictions the game has been stripped of the basic essence of a Sims game, which really is a shame.
  • Options
    jenneferejennefere Posts: 43 Member

Which is exactly why I'm heading back to Sims 2 for gameplay again. I am hoping either we get a game update where some restrictions are lifted, or a mod comes out.

• Options
    TsteveTsteve Posts: 14 New Member
    I too am considering uninstalling and going back to TS2 I have been for awhile actually. I just have to wrap my head around the CAS limitations lol and how all of the sims looks like stick figures LOL.... I kinda like the idea of being able to create my character from head to toe, but I think for the gameplay aspect I can look past that luxury. I had such high hopes for T24! But it makes me wonder do they actually PLAY these games, see the bugs, or do they just create the games and put them out, and tackle the bugs when they get an enflux of complaints.... If I were a hire up at Maxis, I would hire a PLAYER, train them, and at least be able to get that aspect from the players viewpoint.... I don't know if that makes sense
  • Options
    simplysims25simplysims25 Posts: 243 Member
    With each new pack that comes out -I'm happy I decided to ditch this game after GTW.

I noticed the talent EA/Maxis once had for Sims 2 & 3 are gone. Not sure if it's cost cutting, time restraints or a combination -but Sims 4 should surpass the earlier versions of the game, not lag behind them.

Sorry so many are disappointed -but it really can't be a surprise. From the original launch, this game is only half-complete.
  • Options
    qpmommaqpmomma Posts: 135 Member
    I agree. I work in management IRL and even though we have staff I am ALWAYS helping them when I see something that needs to be done. I don't just stand around. It would be awesome to have that ability in game too.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited June 2016
    Not surprising...from what I saw in the stream initially management didn't look fun. I love the aspect of building, designing, and setting uniforms and menus, but being the actual manager looked like walking around and talking, as if there isn't enough talking in this game. Don't care about no active careers but still don't like we can't hire family (like sims currently in your household). Seems to have a lot of the same issues as retail as well, which I though we're getting fixed? And of course still sims randomly walking around at times and group conversations galore. Don't have it yet so all these opinions might change but this what I've seen posted around, even if not everyone is having the same bugs/issues

I'll still probably get it (on sale) for the decor and such and taking my sims to eat at restaurants, but staff looks too broken and management too boring for me to even try owning one. To think of how awesome that first trailer was, I thought I'd be blown away :/

:*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,663 Member
    I haven't tried out the managing part yet, but being able to occasionally help out, at least with carrying food out, would be great.

I wonder if there are routing issues when you try to do something that your staff is doing. I noticed that when customers finished their meals, both waitresses would head over to pick up the empty plates. One waitress would get there first and the other one would reset since the plate was taken already. I wonder if that would be a problem if you attempt to do your staff's job?
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »
    Is the engine really that limiting?
    I dunno, it seems to me that they would only need to listen to one single person that knows the community and the fans for them to get it right. Just get one person in from the beginning of the development that knows his/her stuff. I really care about the game and the developers, I wish they learn something and get better.
    I don't believe that the engine would be THAT limiting, because after all, if a random hired townie can do it, why can't player controlled Sims do the exact same stuff? I think most people here are big fans of the game and by this stage I think many people would have thought that it's pretty hard to ruin a restaurant themed game pack, yet here we are...again.
    I wonder if there are routing issues when you try to do something that your staff is doing. I noticed that when customers finished their meals, both waitresses would head over to pick up the empty plates. One waitress would get there first and the other one would reset since the plate was taken already. I wonder if that would be a problem if you attempt to do your staff's job?
    Possibly, however, I think this potentially could be overcame IF the owner was able to self-register as a working staff member, and had their own waitress/host station. Although I do think the routing issue(?) would most likely not be the reason, in many scenarios in my game in a similar situation instead of one waitress getting reset, waitress 1 would take the plate and waitress 2 would just stand idle at the table until another job triggered.
  • Options
    RetinaStormRetinaStorm Posts: 185 Member
    This addon should have been part of 'get to work' and not a new expansion just another way of milking people for their money tbh. Now dont get me wrong if its something i want i will pay for it but get to work is a job xpac and running a restaurant is still a job so to me it should not have been sold as a seperate pack.

And i and it seems many others were expecting/wanting to be able to run and work at our restaurant but it seems we just have to sit and look pretty instead of actually doing something so it takes away our game play.

I want a xpac as something i can actually do something with i dont want to have to sit stare at my monitor and not to have to to anything if i wanted to do that id stare at the net instead