Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is your favorite Occult and why?

Hey everyone. I'm curious what is your favorite occult type and why. Do you enjoy playing with occults, or is it just not your style of play? Do you wish some occults were available with other expansions, or maybe as downloadable without purchase of the expansion they come with?

I only have Generations, Late Night, Seasons, University Life, and Island Paradise. Of those, I'd have to rank their occults from best to worst like this:

PlantSims
Aliens
Mermaids
Vampires
Imaginary Friends

I think Lazy Game Reviews (LGR) said it best in his reviews: Supernatural creatures and things are nice for a diversion from the main game, but they don't really hold a place in a normal game trying to emulate life. I'm like LGR in that respect, where I'll take the realism over the supernatural. That said, I do really enjoy from time to time making obscure households. Maybe I want evil aliens with a desire to rule the free world. Or, maybe I want to make three Mermaid sisters that play on the mythology of Mermaids; one sister is flirty and evil, seeking to lure in lost sailors and eat their souls; one is really interested in thingamabobs and wants to collect treasures and marry a man; and I don't remember what I made the third one like - I think she was a lifeguard. Or, my current University game, I made Esther Atkins my wife and maxed out her science skill, writing out a story where she became a PlantSim and grew our first child, another PlantSim, before curing herself and having a real child. The family is competing against the Langraabs and Altos for dominance of Sunset Valley with their knowledge of age reversal and gardening prowess.

They are fun diversions. I like PlantSims for their hunger, bladder, and water needs being significantly different. Aliens have cool transmutation abilities and things they can do to other sims. Mermaids can be interesting to play in IP, but I hate that they never use boats and take 900 years to get from point A to point B. Vampires I never really cared about, and Imaginary Friends seem cool - love their doll design - but they are kind of annoying and I can't get rid of them.

I think I'd like to play as Simbots and Plumbots, as they are like Servo from the first game and seem neat. Witches seem like they have the most use in Supernatural, but none of those occults really appealed to me, personally. I hear the werewolves are disappointing. It'd be nice to get them without the full expansions though. Into the Future doesn't seem worth it, to me, even though the custom bots are a really cool idea. And I'm always back and forth on Ambitions, even though people regard it highly. It probably will be the next EP I buy though, if I buy any more.

Comments

• Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Supernatural is my favorite FAVORITE expansion. It's hard for me to choose between witches and fairies, though. I like the abilities both have, but fairies live FOREVER. It's really easy to skill up a fairy completely and then have nothing left to do :D Witches are fun and live a normal amount of time. I wasn't really disappointed with Werewolves. They're hilarious to me.

I recently started playing with a lot of supernatural type sims I have never played before in my story/contest thread in the banner in my signature. I had never played a Genie, Alien, or Plant Sim and now I have all 3. I really like them as well and don't know why I never tried playing them before.

To get rid of the imaginary friend, just take it from their inventory, set it on the ground, make sure you have testing cheats enabled, shift click and then click object, then delete. When I first got Generations, I played an imaginary friend all the way through to becoming a human but it was kinda, "Meh." for me, so now I just get rid of them.

When I first got Island Paradise, I played mermaids A LOT. I have the same issue, though. It takes 4 million years to get from here to there. They are fun in Sunlit Tides.

Vampires, meh. I don't want my sims to catch on fire :D

I really didn't think I would like Into The Future so I held out for the longest time on getting that ep. I got it over the holidays and it is slowly becoming my favorite. It might just be the newness of it, I don't know, but I like a lot of things that came with it. It was a pleasant surprise. I *just* ventured into bot building, though. Like, I literally just started one yesterday :D Not sure how it will turn out.

Most of the time, I play as a witch or a fairy. I can't remember the last time I played a full game as a human.
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Most of my saves tend to be “realistic,” but I still enjoy all the occult types in sci-fi/fantasy saves.

When I’m playing a full-on supernatural game, I tend to have all the various occult types in the world since they each have something interesting about them that I enjoy. I also really like having hybrids! (modded) Hard to pick a favorite occult type since it all depends on the story I’m telling myself, but I think I’d choose witches since I like the abilities and spell animations. I usually have them skill up in alchemy as well, and I like using the magic items from the Store to flesh them out even more.

I’ve kind of gone back and forth in regard to Imaginary Friends, but like StephSeb mentioned, you can delete them in the manner she related. I eventually picked up a mod instead so I can buy them if I want them and sell them if I don’t.

I find Simbots and Plumbots to be fun to have around, although if you’re mostly just interested in ITF for the Plumbots, I’d wait for a good sale. I mostly got it for the objects. I have to say I really liked Ambitions myself; there’s a lot of great content in that one and I think I’ve had an inventor Sim in every save since I got that EP. Besides inventing Simbots and various gadgets, it sometimes can be fun to just run around town and blow stuff up! :lol:
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited January 2016
    Ghosts..Always ghosts. <3

Ghosts love me.

Screenshot-591_zpsc7an1k2i.jpg

Screenshot-50_zpsbrerxd7p.jpg

You could tell this one wanted me bad.Cannot resist my charm

Screenshot-542_zpsuy7xv7nd.jpg

And this one.

Screenshot-530_zpslpuq7ara.jpg

lol_zpslbfwzgd3.gif

Note to self: Stop hanging out at cemetaries to find dates.Try the local library. :D
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Fairies and mermaids. Mermaids because of:

Ariel-Wallpaper-disney-princess-6243826-1024-768.jpg

And fairies because:

1280x720-Yvg.jpg
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I still need to install SN but I'm waiting for a replacement computer... such a long wait -_-

I don't know, since I never got a chance to really play before everything crashed and burned lol But what I can say is I hate mermaids. They are so NEEDY! U had my sim try for baby with a mermaid because I thought a mermaid baby would be cool, they are adorable but when they hit adulthood they are too needy, going to have his daughter dry out so her scales disappear <.<
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited January 2016
    Truthfully the reason for ghosts is they can be given a second chance at life and make for great stories.Some of which are very beautifuly done premades.The challenge is you need to make abrosia plus befriend the ghost and find them too.

Here are 2 I recommend to you guys,sadly they fly under the radar and people tend to ignore them.

Sunset Valley:By all means revive Lolita Goth a great premade sim really pretty with freckles and good genetics.Her personality is great too.

Bridgeport: Lotta Greaves is just one awesome looking sim.The cool part is she can pull off several looks.She not only makes an amazing vampire and with her amazing looks plus pale skin pulls off the Rococo look with stuff from the sims 3 store Palace of Versailles set.

EDIT lotta Greaves also makes for the coolest looking female pirate with the Barnacle Bay stuff.

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    908Billy908Billy Posts: 23 Member
    > @CravenLestat said:
    > Truthfully the reason for ghosts is they can be given a second chance at life and make for great stories.Some of which are very beautifuly done premades.The challenge is you need to make abrosia plus befriend the ghost and find them too.
    >
    > Here are 2 I recommend to you guys,sadly they fly under the radar and people tend to ignore them.
    >
    > Sunset Valley:By all means revive Lolita Goth a great premade sim really pretty with freckles and good genetics.Her personality is great too.
    >
    > Bridgeport: Lotta Greaves is just one awesome looking sim.The cool part is she can pull off several looks.She not only makes an amazing vampire and with her amazing looks plus pale skin pulls off the Rococo look with stuff from the sims 3 store Palace of Versailles set.
    >
    > EDIT lotta Greaves also makes for the coolest looking female pirate with the Barnacle Bay stuff.

You worry me dude, checking out the undead freckles....haha, just kidding. But I agree, ghosts are cool, and the fact that the type of death alters the ghost type. I once repaired a dishwasher with an alien Sim, but forgot that he was soaked from the rain outside, and he electrocuted to death. I altered that save to quest for Ambrosia and get the dad back. The mom alien just gave birth the day before the dad died. So, it was fun to change all I was intending to do into this "save dad" mission, who was only available in ghost form after dark at first.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited January 2016
    Fairies and witches. Fairies are just so cute and I love their wings. Having playable fairies for the first time in a the series was cool too.

And witches are just awesome because there's so much you can do with them. They really are powerful in terms of Sims supernaturals. And there's something neat about the way that they can just blend in with normal sims.
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member

Witches! And vampires!
    Though I normally play witches, I love playing vampires with the Vampire Kill Mod so that the sims they feed from die xD
    Though last time I did it, one of my pregnant sims didn't die ....because it killed her baby instead :(

My least favorite is fairies and werewolves. Only have played them once each and i was so bored out of my mind...
    and werewolves always ended up looking ugly :/
    Thankfully, I disabled both from my game ^-^
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Myself, I like me some werewolves and vampires. They sure do turn out pretty ;)

Elexender Winderholm
    50paax.jpg

Khris Gladystone
    303cx9x.jpg

Both were made before I had all of my fancy HD skins and face overlay makeups...can only imagine how they'd look if I bothered to make either of them over.
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Witches! No hesitation ever! :)
    A Wiccan Wedding
    thegreywitches-7-041.jpg

Granny Grey initiating future warlord Rowan
    thegreywitches-28-60.jpg

Shasta Grey losing her powers
    thegreywitches-49-29.jpg

Taïga Grey exhausting herself trying to get the hay scattered by magic
    thegreywitches-part02-04-171.jpg

I've only played fairies to try them out when Supernatural was released, but I quickly got bored. Same thing with the Mermaids and Plantsims. They look good but doesn't attract my style of game play! I'm more into traditional vampires and one of my main characters in my blog is a werewolf. But I don't have him run after balls and shed fur all over the place. :s The animations are funny but they don't exactly fit into my story... :#

Werewolf Derek saving Taïga
    thegreywitches-part02-09-23.jpg
    thegreywitches-part02-09-27.jpg

Aliens are cool, but a bit scary with their devices and tests...
    thegreywitches-38-83.jpg
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    I like human occult. I love to see human sims' beautiful spinning on skate link. But as the 2nd generation, I love witch kids because the teen witches finish the homework in 1 sec.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Plumbots
    Ghosts
    Aliens
    Mummies
    Zombies (TS2)
    Bigfoot
    Vampires (TS2)
    Werewolves
    Witches(TS2)
    Pantsims (TS2)
    Mermaids
    Fairies
    Unicorns
    Imaginary Friends

I do not like Vampires in TS3 nor Plantsims nor Witches nor Zombies and fairies in TS3 are super annoying though I liked the concept and hope to see them in the future.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Half my town is vampires, well not really but it seems like it, I have a family of 7 that are all vampires and a few singletons that are vampires. I have a big number of witches and a few fairies in town, the rest are just measly humans. I've always loved witches and when I first got into supernatural I created witches left and right, one of my witches Julia got very high up with her spells and I had a great time having her cast love spells on unsuspecting Sims, she also constantly wished to turn Sims into frogs, I had fun with that for awhile too, every Sim that annoyed me was turned into a frog.

Vampires are cool because starting as kids they can max out a skill in mere hours, I loved having vampire kids that were level 10 in painting and logic, it was a nice big leap in skilling them up (sometimes after they hit teen I would get the potent cure elixir and change them back into human.....or witch or fairy), kinda cheating but oh well.

Fairies are great if you want an awesome garden, I have Jamie as my main fairy he isn't really into gardening. When I had my main house of 3 I had Connor Frio as a vampire, Jared was a fairy and my CAS girl Julia was a witch, that was a great house and Jared was very much into gardening, it was really nice to see him go out and tend the crops without my input at all. Just a note, fairy/vampire couples are usually highly sucessful, they seem to adore each other even if they have very few traits in common.

I never had a Plant Sim, I need to read more about them, but I have university so eventually I will have a Sim try to create one. I created one werewolf but he hasn't been played with for awhile. I like ghosts and have my Sims go up to the graveyard and make friends with them all the time. I did kill off Connor's girlfriend one time but made the error to not have them break up before I offed her so I had him put the headstone in the backyard so she would visit. After they first few times she would show up I had them break up then had a change of heart because they really were a cute couple so they started flirting and smooching again, I didn't even know Sims could do that with a ghost, it was really cool to have them back together again. I eventually moved on and forgot about her.

Human Sims are okay, but I like supernatural ones better. I really want to explore Aliens, had my first iname alien a few weeks back but moved to a new house and forgot about them, I did see her attending school a few times, while watching my current houses kids.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I love my supernaturals and usually have one or two in my family. I am currently playing a human family and one of the males was abducted and did get impregnated so....we have a little alien baby in the family now.

My fav's Witches and Fairies, I can't put one on top of the other.
    Plant Sims. love those blown kisses!!!
    Aliens
    Vampires
    I don't usually play any of the other species but will have them immigrate to town so I can start family clans and use them in stories as friends or enemies.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    My absolute favourites are the genies (Showtime), followed by the witches (Supernatural). But I love the rest as well, they all have something special to them I like in this game. So I'm not with LGR there, but I have a feeling he plays the game differently than I do anyway; not so much as a tool to guide your imagination. For me the diciding line between 'realism' and 'supernatural' is quite thin. There is as much realism in an occult life as there is in normal human life, when you decide it is reality. Occult sims will meet the same problems in their lives as normal sims, they'll just handle it differently sometimes (which challenges your imagination). And sometimes the same.

The reason genies are my favourites, is because offspring looks like any normal sim (when they're not running that is), they just have these powers. Powers that are very handy when playing the game, I even miss them when I play other life states or humans. The same goes for witches, but I like how genies know everything without having to learn and their ability to create every meal there is and to ensorcel townies (which enables you to control them for four simhours). And I absolutely love the animations that come with the powers (both genies and witches).

Like I said I also like the other lifes states, but there's more I'd like to see improved for them. The vampires and the werewolves should be more dangerous imo, the fairies should be able to really fly, the plantsims should be able to have non cloned offspring, the imaginary friends shouldn't look so creepy and the mermaids shouldn't have scaled legs and overflow your entire world.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    To be honest, I didn't already played a lot of occults, or not...Fully. I'm mostly like: 'Oh, she's a witch, but using that alchemy stuff...? Not now" so I didn't discover most of the things yet. I played with werewolves for a while but it was the same again: they were werewolves, that's everything.
    At the moment I play with humans but I really want to play with occults again, and this time, they will be real occults. They will not just have wings or can transformate to a hairball or can make apples of air.

By the way, @JoAnne65 there's a mdo for the mermaid thing:
    http://modthesims.info/d/506912
  • Options
    AomiAomi Posts: 58 Member
    I think out of the whole batch it comes down to Aliens, Plumbots, Genies, Imaginary Friends and Plantsims ! But mostly the Aliens and Plumbots ! But when I think about it, I think Plumbots the most.. because in TS3, through legit means, Plumbots can become 'unofficial' parents like if they harvest a plantsim or they clone themselves with the research thing "DNA" and such. then said plumbots can go into the future and their future relatives exist , normal sims but completely plumbot and sometimes these kinds of plumbot shenanigans can break the game. lolol.
  • Options
    908Billy908Billy Posts: 23 Member
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > My absolute favourites are the genies (Showtime), followed by the witches (Supernatural). But I love the rest as well, they all have something special to them I like in this game. So I'm not with LGR there, but I have a feeling he plays the game differently than I do anyway; not so much as a tool to guide your imagination. For me the diciding line between 'realism' and 'supernatural' is quite thin. There is as much realism in an occult life as there is in normal human life, when you decide it is reality. Occult sims will meet the same problems in their lives as normal sims, they'll just handle it differently sometimes (which challenges your imagination). And sometimes the same.
    >
    > The reason genies are my favourites, is because offspring looks like any normal sim (when they're not running that is), they just have these powers. Powers that are very handy when playing the game, I even miss them when I play other life states or humans. The same goes for witches, but I like how genies know everything without having to learn and their ability to create every meal there is and to ensorcel townies (which enables you to control them for four simhours). And I absolutely love the animations that come with the powers (both genies and witches).
    >
    > Like I said I also like the other lifes states, but there's more I'd like to see improved for them. The vampires and the werewolves should be more dangerous imo, the fairies should be able to really fly, the plantsims should be able to have non cloned offspring, the imaginary friends shouldn't look so creepy and the mermaids shouldn't have scaled legs and overflow your entire world.

I didn't know that genies allowed you to control townies - that's awesome. That could make using generations potions for pranks much easier. I just see nothing of interest besides that in Showtime though. And, I do agree some of the life states need more to them. PlantSims should be the perfect gardeners, better than Super Green Thumbs. It's weird that they didn't do that. It'd be cool if they could revive all plants, even the dead ones that green thumbs can't revive. I just get some weird satisfaction of having them burrow underground before their carpool comes, or before class, and it's the equivalent of sleeping in a shower. It's very easy to maintain full needs with them, and I just like the animation of burrowing in the ground. It's completely absurd, but that's what makes it fun. I can say the same for aliens when they go into their trances in random chairs. I really enjoy when aliens absorb rocks too.

I agree that supernaturals can be just as fun, or even more fun, than a regular human sim. I guess it's just the ridiculousness of it when the whole town starts becoming some odd creature that can be a bit much. But, having the option to create one and control it among regular sims is a refreshing way of playing.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    908Billy wrote: »
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > My absolute favourites are the genies (Showtime), followed by the witches (Supernatural). But I love the rest as well, they all have something special to them I like in this game. So I'm not with LGR there, but I have a feeling he plays the game differently than I do anyway; not so much as a tool to guide your imagination. For me the diciding line between 'realism' and 'supernatural' is quite thin. There is as much realism in an occult life as there is in normal human life, when you decide it is reality. Occult sims will meet the same problems in their lives as normal sims, they'll just handle it differently sometimes (which challenges your imagination). And sometimes the same.
    >
    > The reason genies are my favourites, is because offspring looks like any normal sim (when they're not running that is), they just have these powers. Powers that are very handy when playing the game, I even miss them when I play other life states or humans. The same goes for witches, but I like how genies know everything without having to learn and their ability to create every meal there is and to ensorcel townies (which enables you to control them for four simhours). And I absolutely love the animations that come with the powers (both genies and witches).
    >
    > Like I said I also like the other lifes states, but there's more I'd like to see improved for them. The vampires and the werewolves should be more dangerous imo, the fairies should be able to really fly, the plantsims should be able to have non cloned offspring, the imaginary friends shouldn't look so creepy and the mermaids shouldn't have scaled legs and overflow your entire world.

I didn't know that genies allowed you to control townies - that's awesome. That could make using generations potions for pranks much easier. I just see nothing of interest besides that in Showtime though. And, I do agree some of the life states need more to them. PlantSims should be the perfect gardeners, better than Super Green Thumbs. It's weird that they didn't do that. It'd be cool if they could revive all plants, even the dead ones that green thumbs can't revive. I just get some weird satisfaction of having them burrow underground before their carpool comes, or before class, and it's the equivalent of sleeping in a shower. It's very easy to maintain full needs with them, and I just like the animation of burrowing in the ground. It's completely absurd, but that's what makes it fun. I can say the same for aliens when they go into their trances in random chairs. I really enjoy when aliens absorb rocks too.

I agree that supernaturals can be just as fun, or even more fun, than a regular human sim. I guess it's just the ridiculousness of it when the whole town starts becoming some odd creature that can be a bit much. But, having the option to create one and control it among regular sims is a refreshing way of playing.
    Yes, me too, I have all occults disabled now in my game. The only supernaturals are the ones I put in there myself. The mermaids are an unfortunate exception. And I agree about what you say about the plantsims. I only played them quite recently for the first time because I didn't think they were that interesting btw, but I was wrong, they are fun.

Saul_742_zpsau0nfji0.png

Saul_777_zpshui118ji.png

Saul_833_zpsmerp3gf1.png

Saul_847_zps4e1fegpo.png

Saul_857_zpssvjbx5b3.png

Happy together ^.^
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ProximProxim Posts: 189 Member
    I actually quite like vampires, they have both strengths and flaws and it makes them different than others and slightly more challenging to play. Time to time they are a welcomed change against normal human Sims I play most of the time with.

I just pretend that vampire sunscreens or vampire Sims sparkling in the sunlight have never existed.
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Plumbots.

Loved roaming OL outskirts to finds parts & building them, followed by Mermaids.

Isla is special for me & my last played map for TS3.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    My favourite supernaturals are
    Genies
    Aliens
    Vampires
    In that order :smiley:

My least favourite is the witches just because of the work you have to do in order for them to make the potions etc. I don't feel like its worth the time getting the ingredients and I don't find that kind of gameplay fun, but I know others love them ^^ Imaginary friends were really cute in the beginning, still are, but sometimes I wish I could turn the generation/ creation of them off.

The reason I have genies as my favourite is because they have so many abilities, like the instant perfect food, clean the whole house at once or "travel" in that awesome cloud looking way. They are great for when exploring in World Adventures as they move faster than normal sims and then of course the food thing. Aliens for the same reason, them having the most abilities, they can summon meteors, don't need to sleep and are plain awesome etc XD

I feel like genies and aliens add the most gameplay as a sim on their own, that's why I like them as well. To be fair witches has gameplay assets too but without the objects for them they aren't really that special. Aliens and genies are awesome just on their own :smile:

I really like the colour combinations of the offspring when mixing the different supernaturals, with the blue and greenish. Add a vampire to the mix and you are golden ;D
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    HaskorentaroHaskorentaro Posts: 250 Member
    Aliens

Witches

Genie would of been one of my fave but force skintone like vampires make be avoid it
    tumblr_n5aovvMXfM1rwvdy0o1_500.gif
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    You do realize you can change skintone in CAS? I have genie's of all shades, sizes and some crazy traits added to some that make game interesting when I allow them autonomy. :)