Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

10 Big Myths About Video Games

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,937 Member
    Here's a myth I have

Are Soraka's Hooves real?
    Soraka_Poses.png

MEW IS UNDER THE TRUCK
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I just wanted to thank @SimGuruMeatball is being awesome answering some questions today. :) This is the type of communication I missed seeing on forums.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimGuruMeatballSimGuruMeatball Posts: 314 Member
    Haiden wrote: »
    Saying things are to hard or to expensive is a weak excuse. A game like sims 4 is nowhere half as complex as a new gen non linear huge RPG, yet Red make changes from fan feedback and are eager to please.

Heh. After working 20 years in the industry on all kind of games and platforms, I can tell you that The Sims is easily one of the most complex and difficult games to develop. Regarding "too hard or too expensive", that is mostly a matter of scope. Anything is possible and doable, as long as time and resources allows it. Sadly, there are always restrictions you have to take into account.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    oh MYYY Guru's presence:))))) * faints* - not sarcastically said.. literally can't believe it;))) Big thanks @SimGuruMeatball for being here:)) can you tell us.. will toddlers be added to the game or not.. so all bad blood, rumors, speculations will be calmed down?, no mention you could make 50%of players peacefully satisfied or totally depressed, but at least peace will come to the forums;)))
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited October 2015
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I would love to see a- "10 Misconceptions Game Devs have of *Their Fan Base" ;)

It was what I expected- It's too hard, too much time, too expensive. *slap myself for being a sad gamer again today*

That would be an entertaining read. lol

I liked the article, though. Perspective is important, and whether you agree, disagree, or agree and disagree simultaneously, I think it's important to know where the other person is coming from.
    I truly hope that was posted just as a "funny ha,ha" and not another zinger meant to paint complaining fans as unreasonable or ridiculous.

We were told a year ago that things didn't make it into the game due to "time constraints." That the base was going to be a "solid foundation, capable of fulfilling your greatest desires." Players aren't unreasonable or ridiculous when they want to know what's up.

I don't think this is what he meant at all. The article was published on October 21st... if it had been published way back in July that would be different, but this is too fresh of an article for it to be something like that. Civil servants in my family share very similar write ups on their social media in regards to their jobs... especially the nurses in my family. Dang, wouldn't want to be the patient that got snotty with them. >.< rofl Anyway, back on track, I don't think that was his intent by any stretch. He shared it because was something that highlighted an aspect of his life, just as we share things with one another that do the same.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited October 2015
    Haiden wrote: »
    Saying things are to hard or to expensive is a weak excuse. A game like sims 4 is nowhere half as complex as a new gen non linear huge RPG, yet Red make changes from fan feedback and are eager to please.

Heh. After working 20 years in the industry on all kind of games and platforms, I can tell you that The Sims is easily one of the most complex and difficult games to develop. Regarding "too hard or too expensive", that is mostly a matter of scope. Anything is possible and doable, as long as time and resources allows it. Sadly, there are always restrictions you have to take into account.

@SimGuruMeatball So, while you're here, my Sims 4 Christmas list from Santa includes toddlers and an excessive amount of Supernaturals. Everyone knows wicked witches only eat tots, so they're kind of important for me to get in my game before Supernaturals! :wink:: (World domination is also a priority!) I know this is a lot to fit in with only 2 months left before December 25th, but I have faith in thee!

::Hugs:: hahahaha
    P.S. (Make sure the toddlers bite!)
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I would love to see a- "10 Misconceptions Game Devs have of *Their Fan Base" ;)

It was what I expected- It's too hard, too much time, too expensive. *slap myself for being a sad gamer again today*

I'd like to see that list of misconceptions too.

Misconception: DLC Is Evil -

Elizabeth Zelle can waffle on about how DLC is important as much as she likes, or how it doesn't take away from core games, but when the core game is stripped to the barest bones that is possible to get away with, DLC is exactly what she states it isn't - a way for companies to sucker as much money from people as they can, by reselling them features from the core games.

If games are completely fleshed out, well rounded, full of content and polished then I don't think anyone disagrees that DLC is a bad thing. I certainly don't. It's a terrific way to add to a game. Note the key word "add" not "replace stripped out features for cash."

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    DatRandomSimmerDatRandomSimmer Posts: 59 Member
    > @Ponder the Sim said:
    > In the additional tweets:
    >
    > "All developers stand by their work forever: we grow, change, have regrets, new insights. Actual last word is on our deathbeds."
    >
    > I think a lot of people forget this and hold developers to things the said years ago.

very true till the deathbed i mean "game over"
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited October 2015
    Very interesting and insightful considering I want the video game developer patch for my career :)
    Post edited by Zeldaboy180 on
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,053 Member
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    There was a thread about this already earlier :)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I was hoping someone had made the one for "Game Developers misconception of their Fan Base"
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I was hoping someone had made the one for "Game Developers misconception of their Fan Base"
    Me too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Merged these two topics together :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Didn't see the other thread hmm... Oh well thanks for merging ^_^
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited October 2015
    I wonder why this has been moved to the off topic chat section. This is about Sims 4. The name "The Sims 4" wasn't mentioned explicitly but this sure is about the misconceptions regarding this game and the customer relationship.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    @Cyron43, I'm glad you posted something, because I never look at the Off Topic Chat, and I would have missed this interesting article.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    @Cyron43, I'm glad you posted something, because I never look at the Off Topic Chat, and I would have missed this interesting article.
    Thank you. :)
    I am also here for the very first time. It's just due to the fact that the link from before the merge led me here.
    This space is for rent.