Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The future of the Sims 4 interview with Rachel Franklin!

Comments

• Options
    islarosexivislarosexiv Posts: 454 Member
    edited September 2015
    PawsNyuu wrote: »
    I'm hoping she's referring back to why toddlers weren't included in the first place (based on statistics/telemetry they've gathered from The Sims 3 is my guess). Just a tactic to avoid answering the question and leaving us guessing. But in a previous interview she said they were "exploring" the possibility of toddlers. This new answer seems like a step back from that, even.

:(

Their latest official player survey included a Generations pack proposal. I'm guessing the random assortment of players that received them either didn't want toddlers/expanded family play, or they haven't analyzed the feedback yet. They should just send them out to everyone that opts-in.
    Gallery: Islaroses
    Build Showcase: Islaroses
    Simblr: islarosesims.tumblr.com
    Sims Mobile: NJUTWNP

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Hagfisher wrote: »
    I don't think Rachel is being dumb or foolish, I just think she's ignorant to the heart and spirit of the Sims games. She's not seeing it, and she's a good person, but she just isn't seeing it.

Rachel is using "economic tools" in a way that she gets short-sighted responses. Paying attention to playstyles through telemetry? That won't tell you what people want; looking at the forums will.
    Which also makes her dumb. As a person in such a position, she should know better but obviously she is incompetent.

There's ignorant and then there's dumb. She's not seeing it, and is ignorant.

Calling someone dumb is just dumb.
    With her ignorance she is putting the whole franchise at stake, which is dumb. Not seeing that being ignorant equals being dumb is ignorant.

It's not "dumb", her ignorance is just that. Ignorance.

Her associates are foolish for not voicing their opinions and listening to fans. She's foolish because she's ignorant and choosing to listen to economic "money making" strategies and not looking at the forums and the firestorm we're all in. And EA is just cruel for leaving all of the fans like this.

This whole thing is just bad. They're taking the easy way out and making a poorly produced game and, although they may see the opinions that we post, they choose to ignore it. Selectively paying attention to what they like. Which is foolish.

Rachel's not dumb, because she can talk. Dumb means mute. And she seems quite capable of talking. And dancing.
    Pardon me for not knowing the right definition of "dumb". English is not my native language. I thought it's the same as the german word "dumm". Someone can be "dumm" but very talkative. But what is this? Leo translates "dumb" to "dumm". So, are you kidding me?
    Anyway, does it really matter if you call it ignorant and I call it dumb? That just distracts from the real issues here. So please stop it.

Sometimes mixing European and U.S forums leads to some misunderstanding around common uses of different words and the way they are used in different countries.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    AmiRijo wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    This forum is not the only place that the sims games are discussed. I have a feeling we are a very small group that comes on here to express an opinion. In the sims 2 and the sims 3 I did not want to play toddlers, the potty training and the teaching to walk was too boring for me. I would cheat my way through them and then they were children. There could be more of us that did that, and that could be why Rachel said what she said about where they get their data. None of us have the figures of how many people actually want toddlers or open world or anything else. We are judging here, which never makes for a good discussion. Now, I will most likely get "slammed" here by some of you, but really, our opinions count, but are we the majority and if some of us want so many different things are we not taking away from the majority who want the same things that we want? Keep saying what you want or need to play the game, but, "slamming" others will not get it for you.
    Well it's easy to take a look over the fence. The internet is also open for you. Go to other Sims forums and you will find that we are NOT the minority - but nice try to talk us down though. However, you were not successful with this attempt.
    You know what I really can't understand? It's the fact that still are people around who even defend this extraordinary dumb business strategy of EA/Maxis.

Defending? Telling me to post elsewhere? Why is that OK? Not OK, I have a right to post here as well as you do. You seem to think that if I do not have the same opinion as you I should be dismissed.
    I don't think they were tell you to post elsewhere. You mentioned you had been to other places where this game was discussed and your opinion is that we are a small number of upset people. I think they are saying if you visit twitter, reddit, facebook, Tumblr... people are complaning there too.

just maybe not as nicely as i put it

The whole point was that this forum is basically a minority of simmers. I know of a bunch of people who do not even come on here, they used to but now all that happens is bashing and negativity so they do not even bother anymore. YES the forum is not the only place that there is complaints, but we seem to have so many different complaints that we take away from each other, complaining about each other complaining.
  • Options
    ArubianaCalienteArubianaCaliente Posts: 448 Member
    edited September 2015
    I just tweeted Paradox as well. It seems EA needs some healthy competition to get the lead out.
    PandaORose wrote: »
    I'm going to tweet Paradox right now. I don't know about you guys but I'm fed up, tired, and disgusted. It's like they think they can get away with anything and everything because they're the only ones producing this type of game. I don't trust them-I never trust greed and lies in the first place. How many lies are you willing to accept before reaching your breaking point? How much money are you willing to give them in hopes of this game turning around? This form of abuse has got to end. You guys pray, hope, dance, whatever for competition to happen, and support Simmythesim on modthesims, please.

Please check out my Youtube channel, thanks! https://youtube.com/user/RubySimsFatale
  • Options
    AmiRijoAmiRijo Posts: 677 Member
    AmiRijo wrote: »
    This forum is not the only place that the sims games are discussed. I have a feeling we are a very small group that comes on here to express an opinion. In the sims 2 and the sims 3 I did not want to play toddlers, the potty training and the teaching to walk was too boring for me. I would cheat my way through them and then they were children. There could be more of us that did that, and that could be why Rachel said what she said about where they get their data. None of us have the figures of how many people actually want toddlers or open world or anything else. We are judging here, which never makes for a good discussion. Now, I will most likely get "slammed" here by some of you, but really, our opinions count, but are we the majority and if some of us want so many different things are we not taking away from the majority who want the same things that we want? Keep saying what you want or need to play the game, but, "slamming" others will not get it for you.
    Well it's easy to take a look over the fence. The internet is also open for you. Go to other Sims forums and you will find that we are NOT the minority - but nice try to talk us down though. However, you were not successful with this attempt.
    You know what I really can't understand? It's the fact that still are people around who even defend this extraordinary dumb business strategy of EA/Maxis.

Defending? Telling me to post elsewhere? Why is that OK? Not OK, I have a right to post here as well as you do. You seem to think that if I do not have the same opinion as you I should be dismissed.
    I don't think they were tell you to post elsewhere. You mentioned you had been to other places where this game was discussed and your opinion is that we are a small number of upset people. I think they are saying if you visit twitter, reddit, facebook, Tumblr... people are complaning there too.

just maybe not as nicely as i put it

The whole point was that this forum is basically a minority of simmers. I know of a bunch of people who do not even come on here, they used to but now all that happens is bashing and negativity so they do not even bother anymore. YES the forum is not the only place that there is complaints, but we seem to have so many different complaints that we take away from each other, complaining about each other complaining.

o.o I got what you were saying, I was just explaining that they aren't telling you to get out of here.
    Origin ID: AmiRijo
    I signed http://www.sims2.net/pledge/
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    PawsNyuu wrote: »
    I'm hoping she's referring back to why toddlers weren't included in the first place (based on statistics/telemetry they've gathered from The Sims 3 is my guess). Just a tactic to avoid answering the question and leaving us guessing. But in a previous interview she said they were "exploring" the possibility of toddlers. This new answer seems like a step back from that, even.

:(

Their latest official player survey included a Generations pack proposal. I'm guessing the random assortment of players that received them either didn't want toddlers/expanded family play, or they haven't analyzed the feedback yet. They should just send them out to everyone that opts-in.

I saw a copy of the survey which really made me shake my head. Post-apocalyptic sims? Superhero sims? These games are already out there and done well. Yes, sandboxes are great. Yes, those are great themes. But what is a post-apocalyptic sims world going to add? 20 lots of ruins attached to the rest of the world where all is dandy? 50 or so build mode items and some clothing to make them look ragged? Thanks, I'll stick with a different post-apocalyptic sandbox.

I don't know. There were a couple of packs they're considering that scream "sims" to me, but those two? I'm not even sure why they're even on the table.

If they do the generations one and the LPs look interesting, I'll pick it up when it's in the bargain bin.
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    EA can't seem to own up to their mistakes. Other companies do. When Rachel dodged the question, I found it maddening.

In an interview with Todd Howard, he owns up to mistakes in other games.

Bold is interviewer.
    I wanted to talk about the VATS system in Fallout 3. People loved it, but they also needed to rely on it, because the baseline first-person shooting was...

It was mehh...

It was a little... I'm being diplomatic here.

It was a little... I think we're on the same page.

Have you made changes to it?

We started out with Fallout 4 knowing that, look, we can't apologise for being a role-playing game. We have to build a first-person shooter, and it needs to be a really, really good one. We spent a lot of time on that.

But you also see in it compliments towards the game. People who are in charge of a game will compliment their game. Some own up to mistakes and make changes. Others don't.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2015
    Say it with a gif.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    It just tells us they don't really care, we can ask until the end of the Sims 4 lifetime and i think nothing really change about how its now, yeah they will add more content and maybe something really fun too, but well if there is no real communication i doubt they will get that much better.
    So I at least found peace and I will let them handle it for me, i just won't buy anything Sims 4 related cause i have no reason, the features so far is not needed for me so i won't buy anything more.
    Because no time for playing a Game that just dosen't make it for me and i don't see any real "potential" like with the other Sims before, but at least i have tried to give my Feedback and played their first EP and GP too.

The Sims 4 is what it is they decide what will be added in the future, if they think they can run this way and make enough profit out of it thats how it is.
    I believe EA wouldn't let someone handle their Money Cash Cow if it wouldn't make a profit and well thats all about making profit.
    They got their Feedback, not only via their customers also from the Reviews from the media, its a Good Game and maybe it is but its just not that amazing or great like the Sims did before.
    There aren't really new features in it, they delievered at least for me a stable Game.
    But well and thats all about, the Gameplay is not that fun what it used to be and we should just hope we will see something better in the future or other Life Simulation Games that can compete with the previous Sims Games.
    They have enough Sales to run this way for now, this is the Sims 4 nothing special anymore only a solid Game, that is perfected for the Teens and those that like social/task driven Gameplay in Games, that have enough money to spend into Gamepacks/Stuffpacks and Expansion because you now get Gameplay from every GP/SP or EP, so buy the Hot Tub if you need it and stuff DLC...
    So thats why i don't expect much anymore in this Sims Iteration, it won't change much because they have most of their feedback what they need and it seems it runs for them.
    And well thats all i can think about now, thats why i lost interest in the Sims 4 i just wanted to post this at least right now.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    AmaraRena wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    RF: It’s been a contentious issue. But my feeling is that with the open world it’s harder to feel as connected with the town and your sims.
    :s:s:s

Marketing Spin--Like broken up, segmented, fractured, and off camera, is so much better.
    I feel more connected to a town that is open, accessible, and visible.

Ugh, and the telemetry comment...
    Did they collect that kind of information in TS3 too? Maybe that's why we got annoying features like a Celebrity status social virus, wonderful full moon game play ruined by zombie spawns, horses roaming city streets, and tons of other things that had simmers running off to find mods to stop it. Maybe simmers are doing certain things in the game as a reaction to something the game lacks. I loved the mood cycles. I turned it off because I hated zombie spawns. Just because I turn a feature off, or don't play a particular way, doesn't mean I don't like it. It usually means there is something about it that ruins the experience.

I don't play families at the moment and I have aging off because I want to save my current sims (which I adore) for the time when we get a Generations EP and hopefully toddlers and pre-teens. If a lot of other simmers are doing that then telemetry could come to the conclusion that a Generations EP isn't needed--The opposite of what I actually want. I am currently playing social Young Adults and telemetry would think I love only partying YAs. :p
    YES, THIS! The fact I disabled supernaturals in the game, the celebrity system AND the moon cycle is caused by just one thing: it's bugged. Because I love those features as such. But they are unplayable. If I could disable mermaids I would, because they spawn the streets of my town and I want them to be rare and in the water. But I love mermaids.

This is terrible. Not only are they torturing us with bugs in this game, now it appears they hold those bugs against us? Those are your bugs guys, not ours.

SO MUCH THIS. I loved the IDEA of zombies. I did NOT love them eating my darned plants! I wanted to have to START the zombie apocalypse, not just have the darn things popping up every full moon as a matter of course. The plants thing was bad enough but...they appear on the full moon? NOOO!

I HATE having Aliens in most of my games and it annoys the sweet bejesus out of me that I can't TURN THEM OFF. And hey guess what? EA learned NOTHING and made it so you can't turn them off in TS4 either!

Mermaids everywhere? For the love of Plumbob, WHY???

And Papparazzi...that you can't even retaliate against. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????

And yet...it seems the TS4 team knows absolutely nothing about TS3 and is heckbent on making all the same mistakes AND adding a bunch of new ones! WT-seriousF????

This. I bought GTW and don't play it because of aliens. They sold me on the OFB-esque, and the active careers which all lend themselves to realism. Then they force aliens in my game. And what irks me the most is that of all the supernatural types aliens and plantsims were the ONLY supernatural states that I could tolerate, but it had to be for specific story lines (like my scientist sims who were abducted--and that is all) What possessed them to make aliens townies this go around?!
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I can tell you how they can find out how we play by not buying their products plain and simple. Unless you want them to keep putting out the same garbage.
  • Options
    blaznfalcnblaznfalcn Posts: 731 Member
    Krish_ wrote: »
    *claps for Rachel*

We can always count on Rachel Franklin to lighten the mood <3

She should apply at Second City for her next job, you know, with her being so comical and extremely amusing! :p
    "Laziness is a state of mind, not necessarily a lack of action"
    ZY6USJj.gif
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I just tweeted Paradox as well. It seems EA needs some healthy competition to get the lead out.
    What's their twitter account? I want to send them a tweet as well.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    blaznfalcn wrote: »
    Krish_ wrote: »
    *claps for Rachel*

We can always count on Rachel Franklin to lighten the mood <3

She should apply at Second City for her next job, you know, with her being so comical and extremely amusing! :p

i'm waiting for comcast to pluck her up from ea's little field of daisies to head their customer service department.
  • Options
    islarosexivislarosexiv Posts: 454 Member
    mookie1981 wrote: »
    How is not having an open world is making you feel closer to the town? It makes me feel disconnected because I have to go through a loading screen to get connected to my neighbor that is not connection. Maybe she needs to go dance some more and get a new vision.

Not defending the statement, but I think they're referring to the closed world effect of having the lots your sim visits be more populated.

In open world, sims could be anywhere doing just about anything (it was kind of fun to observe) - and you could check on a lot, wander around (walking, jogging, biking, driving, etc.), and do whatever without a loading screen. That meant that there wasn't a concentrated population anywhere unless it was orchestrated by the player, or you had a world that was filled to the brim to create a better population density (which is what I did, because empty nightclubs/venues suck).

With the closed world, the game populates the active lot with unplayed sims/inactive households, to give it a feeling of being densely populated and active. If that makes sense? For instance, if you're on your home lot, unplayed sims are set to jog/walk through the neighborhood, possibly visit you if you have built relationships, etc. If you're at a club, the game generates sims to populate that particular neighborhood, both walking on the street, and visiting the venue. So, if you have only 5 households populated in the game, you're still going to actually see people near your active lot, which makes it seem more "alive".

I like both styles - although I prefer open - and the only reason I don't mind the current neighborhood/closed-world system is because my computer doesn't take a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 when I load the game, and I don't have 5-20 minute loading times... and fewer crashes (although, that could just be because the TS3 client was unstable for me in general). I don't have those issues in TS4, which is ultimately why I play it over TS3, despite TS3 having so much more to offer.
    Gallery: Islaroses
    Build Showcase: Islaroses
    Simblr: islarosesims.tumblr.com
    Sims Mobile: NJUTWNP