Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patches are making the game less stable, not better

ยซ1
I am really frustrated. I actually love the Sims 4, but after the past two patches (today's and the previous demon baby fix), the game has become unstable for me. It has crashed for the first time, and there is now a noticeable stutter about every 30 seconds to 1 minute with the sim's animation. The screen just freezes for a moment. For example, if the sim is walking or dancing, it just stutters for a second. It didn't do this prior to the demon baby patch. The new patch did not resolve it. Now, with the latest patch, when I exit the game, it becomes unresponsive and I have to kill the task in task manager. Prior to the patches, the game ran flawlessly. Not a single crash, no stuttering, no unresponsiveness.

The Sims 3 became a mess with each patch and expansion (I never could play Into The Future for more than a few minutes, on a brand new gaming system because of all the crashes),and now the Sims 4 is following the same path.

FYI, my specs:

Intel Core i7
Windows 8.1
Nvidia 770M 2 gb
16 gb ram

Comments

• Options
    Angeleyeswi69Angeleyeswi69 Posts: 104 Member
    Being as the sims 4 is such a new game its going to take a long while before all the bugs are fixed. Far as the sims 3 goes I had that happening in that game all the time on my laptop, however I had all the expansions and stuff packs installed on my desktop and never had that lag or freezing of sims, though it did crash a few times it wasn't that often. I haven't played the game yet since the newest patch today, but I am going to try it out and see if I have any problems there, seems some do and some don't.
  • Options
    CristianoCristiano Posts: 138 Member
    Even though the game is specifically set to use the nvidia card, this is what is in the config:

Number: 0
    Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Name (database): 4th Gen Intel(R) Core processor graphics - Mobile Haswell GT2 [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
    Vendor: Intel
    Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0416, Board: 10e81462, Chipset: 0006
    Driver: nvumdshim.dll, Version: 9.18.13.4052, GUID: D7B78E66-4756-11CF-0678-E530BBC2C435
    Driver version: 4052
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Texture memory: 2977MB
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1
    Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz

However, nothing changed between the patches, and I don't think it is actually using that card, as it is running with everything maxed, and the only issue is that weird freeze that was introduced with the demon baby patches (others have reported it in different threads).
  • Options
    The power indicator on my laptop changes color from orange to white when the Intel card is being used, and it stays orange with the Sims 4 and every other game.
  • Options
    TwoToesTwoToes Posts: 4 New Member
    I just added this update (2nd one) to my laptop. My Sims4 game was working fine. Had no problems at all. Now the game won't even start up. I keep getting a message that I need to update the game. Then later, I get another message saying my game is "Up to Date" and "I'm ready to go". When I click on the play game button nothing happens. I restarted my computer3 times thinking that might help. That did nothing to clear up the problem. I suggest to others to not download this update until they fix the update. Knowing them, they probably fixed it so you can't even play the game unless you get the update or made it to start up automaticly when you click on the game icon. So your stuck. Now we need an update to fix the update. Crazy! Do they test their updates before putting them out? This suck! :-/

I have the game on my desktop that I can play when I get home, but now I'm afraid to turn it on for fear that I won't be able to play my game do to an automatic start-up of this update.
  • Options
    123w4123w4 Posts: 42 Member
    hmmmm the game works for mee so sorry ( i have an radon HD 6410D)
  • Options
    SimsProductionsSimsProductions Posts: 432 Member
    My game is a bit laggy too after the most recent patch. It completely disappears when I activate the free camera mode though... weird.
  • Options

My instinct tells me that this is the root of many of the problems.

I'm just not able to wrap my head around it right now, I need more information.

About your freezing, have you tried going offline? I think the tray being bloated (mine is up to 400 files now) and Origin constantly scanning for any gallery updates is causing some stuttering. Try going offline in Origin and see if that fixes it.

I have tried going offline, it made no difference - and again, this only started with the demon baby patch. Before that, the game was flawless for me.

• Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    I had little to no real issues until after the patch today. I didn't experience demon baby or anything. I did have some items sticking to sims (mops, spoons, etc), but not much else. After today's patch I have the same laggyness/stuttering. It's really frustrating. Hopefully there will be another patch. Doesn't look like too many other people are experiencing this though.
  • Options
    temptinggalltemptinggall Posts: 21 New Member
    I had the same thing spoon actually sticking to my sim, and this icon for learning new skills stuck for my sim's kid, disappeared when she was back home though.
    And also watch out when visiting lots with your kid, when there's a fire sim will not able go to home for like 24 hours or something like that, till the fire ends. Sim was just looking for some frogs and stuff in the other hood she doesn't go inside lot, who would go strait into a fire? She barely survived :D I'm curious if it's a glitch or not.
  • Options
    HarrietEllisHarrietEllis Posts: 6 New Member
    edited September 2014
    Same exact problem as me. I sometimes get half a second freezes also out of the blue, which can sometimes happen in create a sim, and you drag and freeze halfway through doing it, and it'll go the max (for example, the nose) size, and you can't undo the change. Only started experience these issues after the patch. Also the game has started unsaving stuff, so when I restart my computer, it'll reroll my save back to a previous one, even though the saved file is inside the Sims 4 folder. I don't know what's going on...

First few days of getting the Sims 4, everything ran so flawlessly it was amazing. Now it feels like it's infested with bugs and glitches.
  • Options
    WallinWallin Posts: 2,243 Member
    Bump. I'm having the same issue. The game ran fine to start with, but now when I play, I get pauses so frequently. They last maybe 5 seconds and seem to happen every 3 to 5 minutes. It's really frustrating. It happens all the time, even when I launch the game and go straight into Create-A-Sim mode so that there's nothing even going on play-wise. I don't have any CC, either.
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    Same issue with stuttering for me since this latest patch.
  • Options
    mamabear2fourmamabear2four Posts: 12 New Member
    New patch?

That explains why I can't get into my game to play.

Fix it. Now.
  • Options
    FIX MY ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ GAME!!!
  • Options
    ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ...NOT PLUM!!!
  • Options
    Nice...

I hope it's not too late to get a refund...I'm done.
  • Options
    It's too late. ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ me.
  • Options
    Hasta La Vista Sims.

I'm going back to WoW
  • Options
    RuehlRuehl Posts: 16 New Member
    edited September 2014
    After this 2nd patch I will get a notice saying "The Sims 4 has stopped working" after only a few minutes of playing (literally, not even 5 minutes after starting the game up).

It then shuts down and exits out of the game.

Didn't have any problems whatsoever before this 2nd patch. UGH! Very annoyed and frustrated at this point... and not really sure what to do... :\

Edit: I guess I spoke too soon... I went ahead and deleted the cache & tray folders then restarted my computer... seems to be working fine now.

The only problem I'm really experiencing now is that the sims themselves will freeze for up to 25 minutes (sim time). The clock will then reset back to the time where the sims had froze and they will continue where they had left off. For example: At 2:40 pm Tiffany King begins making dinner. While she is prepping the food the game freezes at 2:45 pm. The clock keeps ticking although nothing is happening until say around 3:00 pm. Tiffany will then resume cooking and the clock turns back to 2:45 when it had first froze. I hope I explained this well enough... This happens to me about every half hour (real time).

Does anyone else experience this?
    Post edited by Ruehl on
  • Options
    MeracosMeracos Posts: 7 New Member
    edited September 2014
    Experience after todays patch:

Game stutters for extended periods:
    My observations seem to indicate that the source of the problem was the "Origin" DRM service. I went into settings and turned off the online check. For a time this seem to stabilize the game back to it's fluidity I have been accustomed to. As long as the Gallery was not active the game ran smooth. However other odd behavior ensued.

Crash to desktop:
    After todays patch the game ran for about 12 minutes then crashed to desktop. It occurred during a long stuttering pause, then the game dropped out. After un-checking the online option as indicated above, the game did not crash anymore.

An NPC family disappeared:
    The family did not expire from old age. (There was a young couple and one child.) about 1 week of game time passed after I turned off the online mode. several hours in real time. Afterwards I saved and closed to refresh and too look upon the towns people as they progressed. In the edit household selection screen, I noticed the family was missing. Yet the family name and funds remained. when I tried to move them the window stated that there was no family. However, when I tried to move another family into the house it asked if I wanted to evict or move in with the ghost family that didn't exist. In the end I simply deleted the broken NPC household and plunked a new one in their place.

So the stuttering problem seems to be with the DRM connection. If you turn off the online check the game runs smooth again.
    The patch itself caused a glitch that made an NPC household disappear (the avatars were gone) yet the funds and the household remained active on the map. The household remained, but the characters within were gone.

A gamers opinion:

This is yet another reason why I don't have other DRM dependent games. Only the Sims. I usually buy all my games from Steam. over 85 titles. I have only "ONE" EA / Origin game. Like everyone else I am forced to wait for a patch for a so called "Released game" When many of the Steam titles I have are early access and far more stable than this yet again EA / DRM fiasco.

I vowed never to buy an EA game. Assumption and hope that times were better made me look at the Sims 4. That error shall not be repeated in the future with any of their other titles, current or future.

You would think that Maxis made enough money in the past with their previous titles to drop EA as their publisher and seek an alternate option or remain independent. I can only surmise that Maxis has a long term contract with EA that prevents them from doing so.

Truly a shame that single player games like this require an online connection that simply serves to adversely impact the playability of the games they run on.

There are certain things one can count on. EA / origin messing up the intended vision of the development team is not only expected, it is consistent.

I will try the Sims 4 again in the future. But I am not optimistic in it's successful delivery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Is it after the same patch that everyone noticed the change? There was a day one (9/2 patch, which I assume is not the culprit.) Then there was a 9/5 one and a 9/9 one.

For me, it seemed to be the 9/5 patch although I didn't notice a change until 9/8.

The first time I opened my game, I had it open for 68 hrs without a crash. Since then, I have had dozens of crashes. I can't go more than 1.5 hrs without a crash, and sometimes it's only a couple of minutes.
  • Options
    > @HarrietEllis said:
    > Also the game has started unsaving stuff, so when I restart my computer, it'll reroll my save back to a previous one, even though the saved file is inside the Sims 4 folder. I don't know what's going on...
    >
    for the unsaving problems you should check the forum it happened to few people or more including me . There is a way to get back you save if you lost it. Check "saved game gone?! :(" I cannot yet put links in my comments :)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I though this all crashing and glitching was because my computer is to weak for this game, but now I know it happened to a lot of people with even better computers than mine. I think the biggest mistake of mine was to buy it right away, instead of patiently waiting for it to be more stable, because it gave me more frustration and disappointment then happiness of playing. This games supposed to be accessible to younger players as well, but I cannot see this possible, since people somehow need more knowledge in computers running and so on to play it. I cannot imagine 14 years old kiddo to work around all this problems with the game
  • Options
    WallinWallin Posts: 2,243 Member
    The Gallery has always been the slowest thing about the game for me, and last night while I was trying to upload Sims it keep pausing even more and longer than usual.

I was wondering if the online stuff had anything to do with it, so I disabled some but not everything since I was still trying to upload. I will have to give that a try and see if that fixed my stuttering issue as well.
  • Options
    turning offline helped me with game being more stable, but still if I need to upload something I have to deal with that pausing, and kicking out of the game