Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifespan - Normal is too short, Long is WAY too long

...See above...
I was playing around with settings this morning and discovered that from YA to A you have 20 days. That's too short for me. BUT if you switch to Long Lifespan, you have 70 days. That is way too long.

So right now I can't decide! I keep changing back and forth between Normal and Long.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    does seem a little extreme, maybe 40 days?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Yeah, 35 to 40 days seems good to me.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    I hope they bring back the option for us to change the length of individual life stages.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I agree.

We need the sliders back for the lifespans.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    ooppii1ooppii1 Posts: 90 Member
    I usually play with 35 - 40 days for young adult and adult stage, so.. That's quite annoying
  • Options
    MonkeeGoddessMonkeeGoddess Posts: 315 Member
    It's been fine for me so far because I'm just testing out game features but I hope they include a chance for us to adjust individual life spans like before. Long is really long!
    The desert is calling.
    The emptiness of space.
    The hunger of a lion
    Is written on your face.
    A maniac's new love song.
    Destruction is his game.
    I need a new direction,
    Cause I have lost my way.

• Options
    mwadmanmwadman Posts: 104 Member
    I guess we could always set it to long and when we feel like it is time for them to advance to the next life stage force them to age up. I feel like there should be a happy medium there as well.
  • Options
    MrLevodevoMrLevodevo Posts: 46 Member
    I completely agree. We need the sliders back. I'm playing with the "long" setting for now so I have ample time for promotions and whatnot, but eventually it's going to get annoying to not have a "medium" option.
    2v3kopz.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I actually like even longer as I played Epic aging in Sims 3 so I wish this was a wee bit longer myself.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    I play rotationally so I turned off aging. However, setting unplayed to auto age on long sounds like a perfect way to keep them from aging too quickly. I can age my own sims when ready.

My rotation is big and I intend to fill all houses with played sims, so I can't have townies aging too rapidly ;)

But I too want fully customizable lifespans (set the duration for each stage of life however suits your style) back. That sounds like a perfect addition to a "Generations Style" EP which includes toddlers and preteens in it ;)
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    blam987blam987 Posts: 462 Member
    I totally agree ughhh 35-40 days is good for me for young adults, 20 is too short and 80! DEAR LORD HAVE MERCY! That's tooo toooo long ugh i really hope they give us the ability to change that again like in sims 3.
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    ashley247ashley247 Posts: 74 Member
    I hope they add a lifespan slider like in Sims 3, or a mod comes out that allows adjustment of the lifespan. I think normal is too short and feels rushed to complete everything I want to do with my Sims. But the long lifespan seems too long. I always played my Sims 3 families with a lifespan setting that was between normal and long.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2014
    If I remember correctly my own custom lifespan in 3 was:
    Baby: 3 days.
    Toddler: 5 days.
    Child: 10 days.
    YA: 20
    Adult: 40
    Elder: Whatever the game decides.
  • Options
    xale90xale90 Posts: 209 Member
    edited September 2014
    I prefer long instead of normal but I don't do any of those options anymore.

I just set 'Auto age sim (played sims)' to 'No' and 'Auto age (unplayed sims)' = Unchecked.

Then I can chose whenever I want the sim to age up with the cake :)
    Bjork-animated-fix3sec_zpse5f5950f.gif ModernMansionDesign_zps90f720d8.gif Modern-House-Design_zpsf4076eb9.gif GJmTYrF.gif nfh_zps4d3443dd.png
    Click on each image to see the house
  • Options
    MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    Totally agree! Normal is way too short and long is just too long, and id also like to make individual stages different lenghts.. id like teen to be a bit shorter on long and Adult to be longer than Young Adult..
    I know I could do this manually, but that kind of takes a lot of the fun out of it for me, personally.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    I believe there is a mod for automatic lifespan changes.

But since you can age anyone on a birthday cake, no matter if a sim is in your household or is just random NPC, I really don't think this is such a big issue.
    I'd be happier if EA is concentrated on fixing actual gamebreaking bugs and not a feature that is not essential. Especially since this can be set with mods.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I just use the youth potions.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    52 days for children to age up is wayyyyyy too long - I wish we could pick the span per type of person like in TS3
  • Options
    52 days for children to age up is wayyyyyy too long - I wish we could pick the span per type of person like in TS3
    That came in a patch, though. In the base game, it was the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    ...See above...
    I was playing around with settings this morning and discovered that from YA to A you have 20 days. That's too short for me. BUT if you switch to Long Lifespan, you have 70 days. That is way too long.

So right now I can't decide! I keep changing back and forth between Normal and Long.

I actually think Long Lifespan is just fine. I like having plenty of time to get things done. Normal Lifespan, alright probably could use a small boost. Maybe to 40 as someone else said. But I think Long is perfect as is.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options

They patched something to make it worse - jesh
  • Options

What??
  • Options

What??

You said "That came in a patch, though. In the base game, it was the same."

So, they took something we wanted, the ability to pick the age span for each type of person and took it away in a patch.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

What??

You said "That came in a patch, though. In the base game, it was the same."

So, they took something we wanted, the ability to pick the age span for each type of person and took it away in a patch.
    No! Reverse that! I meant in the base game, you couldn't pick the age span for each type of person, just as you can't in Sims 4! They patched in that feature!