Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2023
    That supermarket reminds me of TS2's grocery stores I have seen by other players. Especially a modded bread rack I've had in my game for years. Just something about the objects and the layout etc. I wonder if taking food samples will reduce hunger? If not, I don't like clicking on things that don't mean anything to the Sim. I wonder if someone can ask them if taking a food sample will reduce hunger. That must be something practiced in other areas of the country because if you take a food sample here you are going to get charged. lol

I wonder (they didn't show it) if taking one if the character will eat it in the store or does it just go to inventory or no inventory? See, I think about what developers do with the time a character has. If it's just busy animations or looking busy at work, then I really don't like if it's not useful like reducing hunger etc. Just my two cents. And really the only complaint I would have with this game thus far if it's just 'busy work'.

ETA: Brushing hair, not necessary if it's not mussed. I have to see the messy hair style to believe it was necessary. Will it raise hygiene? If not then no point, especially if not mussed. Make it real Rod.

ETA: Though I love TS2 I have complaints about it, too. Such as customers on a community lot just browsing and never buying anything. The only person buying was our Sim. See, that's what I call 'busy work'. Yes, it looks immersive, but no one ever bought anything other than food at a restaurant if those places weren't owned.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    That supermarket reminds me of TS2's grocery stores I have seen by other players. Especially a modded bread rack I've had in my game for years. Just something about the objects and the layout etc. I wonder if taking food samples will reduce hunger? If not, I don't like clicking on things that don't mean anything to the Sim. I wonder if someone can ask them if taking a food sample will reduce hunger. That must be something practiced in other areas of the country because if you take a food sample here you are going to get charged. lol

I wonder (they didn't show it) if taking one if the character will eat it in the store or does it just go to inventory or no inventory? See, I think about what developers do with the time a character has. If it's just busy animations or looking busy at work, then I really don't like if it's not useful like reducing hunger etc. Just my two cents. And really the only complaint I would have with this game thus far if it's just 'busy work'.

ETA: Brushing hair, not necessary if it's not mussed. I have to see the messy hair style to believe it was necessary. Will it raise hygiene? If not then no point, especially if not mussed. Make it real Rod.

ETA: Though I love TS2 I have complaints about it, too. Such as customers on a community lot just browsing and never buying anything. The only person buying was our Sim. See, that's what I call 'busy work'. Yes, it looks immersive, but no one ever bought anything other than food at a restaurant if those places weren't owned.

TS2 customers most definitely bought stuff, didn't just browse. I have an issue with the ones in TS4 that just form a group and talk and rarely buy anything and when they do so it takes forever.
    Regarding the food samples, they are usually just bite size so I don't think they would fulfill hunger enough to make it noticeable. But who knows, it might keep your character from dying of starvation. I have to say I love the look of the grocery store, wish we got something similar in TS4. Now if we need to buy groceries we need to go several different places, would be nice to have a one stop in person grocery shopping location.
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I'm curious what the "Take a sample" function is for too. Only few places in American Grocery stores offer samples, and that's usually for sales tactics. I wonder if it's to take one of the offered items into your cart to buy the item. If it's so, they could have worded it better.

I'm also wondering if it will be like playing with a Simple living lot trait, i.e. that you have to buy ingredients, or grow them because I know gardening will be in the base game, before you can cook. If so, I hope they have meals with specific ingredients they require, instead of a total groceries number as Sims 2 had. If they do this, I imagine eventually they will put out a farming pack dlc of some kind that lets you produce eggs and meat from animals. Though I imagine they will do it like the sims, where you trade the animal for meat, instead of butchering it.

I am also questioning whether we will be able to own community lots in the base game. In the Sims that has always been a dlc feature. I hope at least that they are thinking of it in how they format things so it goes smoothly. And I hope we have an ability to own any type of lot/business in the game and not just a certain type of retail type lot. I see becoming a Monopoly type town leader challenges starting because of this.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Sarah26Cat wrote: »
    I am also questioning whether we will be able to own community lots in the base game. In the Sims that has always been a dlc feature. I hope at least that they are thinking of it in how they format things so it goes smoothly. And I hope we have an ability to own any type of lot/business in the game and not just a certain type of retail type lot. I see becoming a Monopoly type town leader challenges starting because of this.

It's been confirmed that you can own any of the community lots:
    • Choose employees
    • Set their job roles/titles
    • Pick their uniforms/work outfits
    • Decide their hours
    • Set their pay
    • Decide the menu for restaurants
    • Set the work "tasks" for the jobs

And I don't think you have to actually be on the lot for it to function.

Now what's not been confirmed is if you can own multiple community lots/businesses at the same time.

• Options
    Yes, it's been confirmed that you can do all that, but what hasn't been confirmed is whether a Sim can own the lot. As far as I know, anyway. Life by you seems to have a lot of controls for the town, letting a player design things, but can a character buy up the businesses in town?
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member

• Choose employees
    • Decide their hours
    • Set their pay

Now what's not been confirmed is if you can own multiple community lots/businesses at the same time.

It's pretty amazing that we're getting the basics of Open For Business in the LBY base game. That plus many other typical expansion pack content.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Life by You is giving me all the store display items I wanted in Sims 4 that I could not get in an expansion all about retail in its base game. :*

Can't wait to see their clothing stores seeing how good the gym equipment selection is and grocery store object selection is. I swear what's next a bar with a pool table Sims 4 could never.

yessss i’m also curious to see how that boutique hotel looks/it’s functions that was mentioned in the live stream. seems like quite a few nice commercial lots are in the base game 😄
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    wait they said base game gets restaurants in LBY? faints that’s one of my fave commercial lots to play on!
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

TS2 customers most definitely bought stuff, didn't just browse. I have an issue with the ones in TS4 that just form a group and talk and rarely buy anything and when they do so it takes forever.
    Regarding the food samples, they are usually just bite size so I don't think they would fulfill hunger enough to make it noticeable. But who knows, it might keep your character from dying of starvation. I have to say I love the look of the grocery store, wish we got something similar in TS4. Now if we need to buy groceries we need to go several different places, would be nice to have a one stop in person grocery shopping location.

No, only on your Sims' owned lots. Any other lots that were stores Sims do not buy anything, no jewelry, clothes, groceries, DVDs, magazines, flowers etc. And as far as I can remember, maybe it changed later, TS4 Sims don't actually have the outfits they buy in Get To Work in inventory if you play that townie. Yes, we can make them change their clothes when they buy an outfit in TS4 from the mannequins but if they come into a store in TS4 we own (our Sim) they don't actually have/keep that stuff< that I can recall. Just busy work animations.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

• Choose employees
    • Decide their hours
    • Set their pay

It's pretty amazing that we're getting the basics of Open For Business in the LBY base game. That plus many other typical expansion pack content.

I don't think it's actually been confirmed that you can own these lots yet. Someone can point me to a tweet if I'm wrong, but It has been confirmed you can choose the employees, but that might just be from a town view, town controls perspective. The other items on this list I hadn't heard yet, but they may be town controls as well. With stuff like this, it's best to read it conservatively. Understand this, I am excited for this game. I feel we will get a lot out of it even without paying for DLC, but getting your hopes up too high can be just as disastrous. Retail has always been an expansion pack in the Sims, and unless I get confirmation directly that it will be base game here, It's safest to assume that it will be an expansion here too. I haven't even heard that there will be restaurants in the game yet, though there are a lot of lot types in the lists they've shown online.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

No, only on your Sims' owned lots. Any other lots that were stores Sims do not buy anything, no jewelry, clothes, groceries, DVDs, magazines, flowers etc. And as far as I can remember, maybe it changed later, TS4 Sims don't actually have the outfits they buy in Get To Work in inventory if you play that townie. Yes, we can make them change their clothes when they buy an outfit in TS4 from the mannequins but if they come into a store in TS4 we own (our Sim) they don't actually have/keep that stuff< that I can recall. Just busy work animations.

Yes, TS4 townies don't keep in their inventories anything they buy in the stores. I loved it in TS2 when I got back to another household to see what else they had bought when I wasn't playing them.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Just watched the video and the one on the food mart. Am very impressed by both of them. LBY could wind up eating EA's lunch if they keep going the way they are.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited May 2023

@Cinebar is right. See this for the details regarding OFB. These rules are relevant due to Sims 2's hop-in and hop-out style of playable families where you can rejoin families right where you left them.

(1) On unowned community lots, all townies and currently inactive playable sims that you see have no real exchange of money or goods
    (2) when Townies or inactive playable sims buy objects on owned community lots and home businesses, they have an unlimited budget but only keep last 3 items in their inventory to prevent them from infinitely expanding
    (3) for playable sims, there is an added protection of no more than 20% of family funds can be spent on buying objects, again on owned community lots
    (4) When you take a playable sim to an owned community lot of a different playable Sim, the owner Sims doesn't actually gain any money or have reduced inventory of goods from their perspective when you go back to play them. So even if your active playable sims, townies, or other inactive playable shoppers get real goods that cost them money and go into their inventory, the lot resets again when you rejoin the playable sim who owns the lot. This effectively clones the items sold, with one copy remaining in the inventories of sims that bought them (still subject to the 3 item rule), and the other copy remaining unsold at the store when you load the business again from the perspective of the owner.

These rules govern the actual transfer of money and goods. On all lots, sims will still "appear" to buy and purchase objects including browsing, holding a shopping bag, and checking out.

bd48t23vu4oc.png

1x7fdd9vyxxe.png

Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    edited May 2023
    Okay. I'm officially excited. I haven't been keeping up, and didn't know that the mysterious Paradox life sim game had been finally been announced. It looks like the best of Sims 2 meets the best of Sims 3. That's the game I always wanted.

Edit: Oh, and the release date is soon. Just checked Steam: Sep 12, 2023 for the early access version. I'm in.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Yes, it's been confirmed that you can do all that, but what hasn't been confirmed is whether a Sim can own the lot. As far as I know, anyway. Life by you seems to have a lot of controls for the town, letting a player design things, but can a character buy up the businesses in town?

The way I see it if they can that is definitely a plus for me. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    I'm super excited about how we can assign anyone in town to work in that grocery store! As someone who always played the whole town not legacy but rotational and the entire neighborhood households, I feel Rod Humble has his thumb on the pulse of TS2 and TS3 players. B)

A very long time ago I asked Maxis to please add to TS2 a list of all the Sims in my neighborhoods. It was sometimes difficult to remember especially when I had like a hundred homes in a hood. lol Thank You, Rod Humble! adding a way (list) of all the characters/humans in the world! That is so special to me, YAY! We can check on them, change anything we want about them, give them a different job from that list, change anything!

I didn't realize this game has been in development for four years. One of the developers stated he joined the team four years ago. No wonder there are so many tools and customization. I'm literally amazed at what all will be in the early access release this fall. It's like Paradox looked at Maxis and decided no we will put all those packs in the base. I mean just look at the gym equipment we had to buy extra with Maxis. :o

But today I'm excited about assigning 'townies' to any job duty on any community lot or to any house on the fly. Finding any human in the world from that list and editing whatever I want to edit, and thank you Paradox Create a Style is back!!! and omg Cars, no one has to wait nine years to drive a car again. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I'm super excited about how we can assign anyone in town to work in that grocery store! As someone who always played the whole town not legacy but rotational and the entire neighborhood households, I feel Rod Humble has his thumb on the pulse of TS2 and TS3 players. B)

A very long time ago I asked Maxis to please add to TS2 a list of all the Sims in my neighborhoods. It was sometimes difficult to remember especially when I had like a hundred homes in a hood. lol Thank You, Rod Humble! adding a way (list) of all the characters/humans in the world! That is so special to me, YAY! We can check on them, change anything we want about them, give them a different job from that list, change anything!

I didn't realize this game has been in development for four years. One of the developers stated he joined the team four years ago. No wonder there are so many tools and customization. I'm literally amazed at what all will be in the early access release this fall. It's like Paradox looked at Maxis and decided no we will put all those packs in the base. I mean just look at the gym equipment we had to buy extra with Maxis. :o

But today I'm excited about assigning 'townies' to any job duty on any community lot or to any house on the fly. Finding any human in the world from that list and editing whatever I want to edit, and thank you Paradox Create a Style is back!!! and omg Cars, no one has to wait nine years to drive a car again. :D

That's exactly the way I felt. And, in one of the videos from the dev team, Humble said that you can actually "drive" the car yourself in over the shoulder perspective, if you wish.

In the longer run, I'm also interested in seeing what Paradox does in terms of (possibly) integrating parts of this game with the also in-development Skylines 2.
  • Options
    SimSpock wrote: »
    In the longer run, I'm also interested in seeing what Paradox does in terms of (possibly) integrating parts of this game with the also in-development Skylines 2.

It could be possible, but keep in mind that these games are developed by 2 different studios. Paradox Interactive is just the publisher.

Cities: Skylines 2
    Developer: Colossal Order

Life by You
    Developer: Paradox Tectonic

Sort of like how Electronic Arts is the Publisher of the Sims (and many other games), but the Sims is developed by Maxis.
  • Options
    SimSpock wrote: »

It could be possible, but keep in mind that these games are developed by 2 different studios. Paradox Interactive is just the publisher.

Cities: Skylines 2
    Developer: Colossal Order

Life by You
    Developer: Paradox Tectonic

Sort of like how Electronic Arts is the Publisher of the Sims (and many other games), but the Sims is developed by Maxis.

Thanks! I didn't realize that.
  • Options

Oh, thank you for the link! I was just thinking yesterday how I wished one of these games would allow players' characters to order restaurant meals, not just pizza! Sometimes I get so tired of making my Sims cook. It's like Paradox is reading people's minds. :dizzy:
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

Oh, thank you for the link! I was just thinking yesterday how I wished one of these games would allow players' characters to order restaurant meals, not just pizza! Sometimes I get so tired of making my Sims cook. It's like Paradox is reading people's minds. :dizzy:

I am so glad were getting restaurants part of the base game
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I am so glad were getting restaurants part of the base game

Oh yes, This is great to hear!
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I don't think it's actually been confirmed that you can own these lots yet. Someone can point me to a tweet if I'm wrong, but It has been confirmed you can choose the employees, but that might just be from a town view, town controls perspective. The other items on this list I hadn't heard yet, but they may be town controls as well. With stuff like this, it's best to read it conservatively. Understand this, I am excited for this game. I feel we will get a lot out of it even without paying for DLC, but getting your hopes up too high can be just as disastrous. Retail has always been an expansion pack in the Sims, and unless I get confirmation directly that it will be base game here, It's safest to assume that it will be an expansion here too. I haven't even heard that there will be restaurants in the game yet, though there are a lot of lot types in the lists they've shown online.

This was from an interview, I took that to mean that your character could either get a job or own a business.
    Players can get a job in the world or even start and build their own businesses. The world operates like a real one would, with starting hours and closing hours for your jobs, salary ranges you can set to pay the employees you hire for your store, and more. It even operates down to the delivery driver bringing items you ordered in an online shop operating in the game world (or even maybe your own online store). Heck, you can even take over the delivery driver should you choose and live out their life. This is life by you, of course.
    https://www.mmorpg.com/interviews/gdc-2023-life-by-you-is-an-ambitious-life-sim-that-aims-to-give-players-ultimate-freedom-in-the-game-world-2000127590?utm_content=buffer8019c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer

Restaurants have been confirmed as being in the game in a tweet from yesterday when answering FAQs regarding the grocery shopping video, they stated:
    You can purchase full meals directly from restaurants or cook yourself.

They've also stated that anything an NPC can do (which I would assume also includes owning other businesses), a played character can do. And, vice versa.
    Anything a non-player character can do, you can as well. Additionally, the idea is that anything a player can do, the NPCs can also do. Humble mentions that as a result, they effectively have created a world where all the NPCs are people, like the players, because they are all operating exactly the same way.
    https://www.mmorpg.com/interviews/gdc-2023-life-by-you-is-an-ambitious-life-sim-that-aims-to-give-players-ultimate-freedom-in-the-game-world-2000127590?utm_content=buffer8019c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer

And some of the planned careers that have been confirmed are, but maybe not all of them at Early Access:
    • Hotel Management
    • Apparel
    • Office Jobs
    • Banking
    • Night Club Ownership
    • Car Dealerships
    • Creative Writing
    The developers aren’t certain how many careers will be available at Early Access, but in our conversation they noted hotel management, apparel, office jobs, banking, night club ownership, car dealerships, and creative writing.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/134780/life-by-you-preview-gdc-2023

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top