Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    I also wonder if there will be a DLC model (i wouldn't mind it if it is only a few). The most recent news update mentions that University wont be in BG because that's an entire topic to develop on it's own (which I'm totally fine with, I think that makes sense,) and wonder if they'd plan on adding a YA life stage along with a Uni DLC.

The different kinds of transportation looks so fun! Finally scooters and skateboards! Okay sorry for so many posts in a row, i'm just a bit excited and am just getting up to date on news, so I'm posting all at once lol.

That makes me curious about elementary school and high school.
    Since there are no rabbit holes, are they actually going to make a functioning school?
    They do have EA's High School Years as an example. but I wonder what their spin on it will be.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I also wonder if there will be a DLC model (i wouldn't mind it if it is only a few). The most recent news update mentions that University wont be in BG because that's an entire topic to develop on it's own (which I'm totally fine with, I think that makes sense,) and wonder if they'd plan on adding a YA life stage along with a Uni DLC.

The different kinds of transportation looks so fun! Finally scooters and skateboards! Okay sorry for so many posts in a row, i'm just a bit excited and am just getting up to date on news, so I'm posting all at once lol.

Since there are no rabbit holes, are they actually going to make a functioning school?
    They do have EA's High School Years as an example. but I wonder what their spin on it will be.

There's a new blog post that sort of answer the question regarding schools

What will be the unique elements to each life stage? Is school a thing for kids/teens?
    We are still adding lots of content to the game between now and Early Access and will continue to add content throughout the Early Access process. This includes adding a lot more life stage specific content! Find some specific elements to each life stage below.

Interactions
    Right now we are working on making sure interactions are age appropriate to the life stage’s capabilities. The types of interactions a child versus an adult or elder will differ. Our system lets us select for which life stages or combination of life stages an interaction appears.

For example: Only teens and older will be able to cook the full range of recipes (we want to make sure they’re careful around sharp objects and open flames!).

Conversations
    There will be conversation options and content related specifically to each life stage. Getting unique life stage content was very important to us in developing conversations, and age specific content will be expanded throughout Early Access to add more variety and specific cases.

For example: The way kids speak is age appropriate and unique to a kid’s interests. There are also conversations related specifically to child and parent-guardian relationships in the game.

School vs Jobs
    Only adults can go to work and perform jobs/careers. There are plans for a children’s school to be added eventually and will likely follow a similar gameplay system to jobs, not be a rabbit hole.

University gameplay is not currently planned for the base game as it's a deep topic with a lot of design implications for the game. We want to make sure we have a solution for this specific case.

Transportation
    There are age appropriate transportation options for children, teens, and adults onwards. This includes tricycles, bikes and skateboards for kids to get around, with cars unlocking at an older age.

Dating and relationships
    Dating will unlock specifically between teens at the teen life stage and specifically between adults at the adult life stage. The options and tone of dating differs from teenage sweethearts to adult dating, marriage and romantic relationships. This includes custom conversation options and content for those life stages.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/life-by-you/blog/life-update-life-stages
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Tricycles, bikes and skateboards for kids not to mention cars and scooters all base game content it took 2 expansions in Sims 4 just to give adults and then children bikes :#

So glad to see they are working on active school going to open up so much for children and teens rabbit holes should not exist the LBY team gets it.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2023

There's a new blog post that sort of answer the question regarding schools

What will be the unique elements to each life stage? Is school a thing for kids/teens?
    We are still adding lots of content to the game between now and Early Access and will continue to add content throughout the Early Access process. This includes adding a lot more life stage specific content! Find some specific elements to each life stage below.

Interactions
    Right now we are working on making sure interactions are age appropriate to the life stage’s capabilities. The types of interactions a child versus an adult or elder will differ. Our system lets us select for which life stages or combination of life stages an interaction appears.

For example: Only teens and older will be able to cook the full range of recipes (we want to make sure they’re careful around sharp objects and open flames!).

Conversations
    There will be conversation options and content related specifically to each life stage. Getting unique life stage content was very important to us in developing conversations, and age specific content will be expanded throughout Early Access to add more variety and specific cases.

For example: The way kids speak is age appropriate and unique to a kid’s interests. There are also conversations related specifically to child and parent-guardian relationships in the game.

School vs Jobs
    Only adults can go to work and perform jobs/careers. There are plans for a children’s school to be added eventually and will likely follow a similar gameplay system to jobs, not be a rabbit hole.

University gameplay is not currently planned for the base game as it's a deep topic with a lot of design implications for the game. We want to make sure we have a solution for this specific case.

Transportation
    There are age appropriate transportation options for children, teens, and adults onwards. This includes tricycles, bikes and skateboards for kids to get around, with cars unlocking at an older age.

Dating and relationships
    Dating will unlock specifically between teens at the teen life stage and specifically between adults at the adult life stage. The options and tone of dating differs from teenage sweethearts to adult dating, marriage and romantic relationships. This includes custom conversation options and content for those life stages.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/life-by-you/blog/life-update-life-stages

Thanks for posting the spoiler! This is so interesting. Not only do I hope they make everything to do with conversations age related as it states but also depending on relationships. It was always icky for me to see a total stranger at a community lot speak to my Sim kid about woohoo (seen in the speech bubbles) and or my Sim(at home) to tell Grandpa a dirty joke. (In TS2) Edit to add: I had one Sim who was always running around wanting to tell anybody a dirty joke. I hope those type of things are based upon relationships and or some sort of backlash if you do that to a total stranger. lol

Seems like this game will have many deeper levels (I hope) than The Sims and not just all willy-nilly.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    It would be easier to compare the two if we had a little more info on Project Rene. My decision to preorder Life By You was an easy one to make. I have no desire to start over with a bare bones base game then wait for months or even years for packs/DLC to flesh it out. LBY has made no mention about weather and that is a concern for me. I need to go back and watch the announcement video again because I think I might have missed some things. I did not know our pixel people would have no voices for instance. And I hope the art team can work on making the pixel folk look less shiny. They remind me a bit of how the Sims looked in Sims3. Their faces are always in the dark and are hard to see.

I have no intention of walking away from Sms4. It has just become complete in my opinion. The addition of infants and Growing Together has helped the game immensely, and I am enjoying all the new features. But that doesn't mean I won't like LBY because it isn't just like the Sims4. I do hope some of the fun and goofiness that made us chuckle will find a way into LBY. Funny things other than Sims becoming fixated on dancing every five minutes or leaving twenty half empty water glasses all over the place would be refreshing.

The fact LBY won't be a rerun of what we have come to expect of the Sims franchise appeals to me on several levels. I want an open world that isn't filled with fake backdrops and rabbit holes, I want transportation choices, I want to have the ability to create my own neighborhoods, I want more customization choices in CAS and B/B mode. Sims4 was released in September of 2014. Almost 9 years later we do not have cars in the game, the worlds are getting smaller and smaller, CAW will never happen, and I'm ready for a life simulation game that is less 'Barbie' and more complex.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,402 Member
    edited April 2023
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    It would be easier to compare the two if we had a little more info on Project Rene. My decision to preorder Life By You was an easy one to make. I have no desire to start over with a bare bones base game then wait for months or even years for packs/DLC to flesh it out. LBY has made no mention about weather and that is a concern for me. I need to go back and watch the announcement video again because I think I might have missed some things. I did not know our pixel people would have no voices for instance. And I hope the art team can work on making the pixel folk look less shiny. They remind me a bit of how the Sims looked in Sims3. Their faces are always in the dark and are hard to see.

I have no intention of walking away from Sms4. It has just become complete in my opinion. The addition of infants and Growing Together has helped the game immensely, and I am enjoying all the new features. But that doesn't mean I won't like LBY because it isn't just like the Sims4. I do hope some of the fun and goofiness that made us chuckle will find a way into LBY. Funny things other than Sims becoming fixated on dancing every five minutes or leaving twenty half empty water glasses all over the place would be refreshing.

The fact LBY won't be a rerun of what we have come to expect of the Sims franchise appeals to me on several levels. I want an open world that isn't filled with fake backdrops and rabbit holes, I want transportation choices, I want to have the ability to create my own neighborhoods, I want more customization choices in CAS and B/B mode. Sims4 was released in September of 2014. Almost 9 years later we do not have cars in the game, the worlds are getting smaller and smaller, CAW will never happen, and I'm ready for a life simulation game that is less 'Barbie' and more complex.

Yes, it "feels" prime for a new update on Rene. No holding breaths, please.

I did see a recent playtest for what looked like Rene, so the only thing I can add is that possibly the Sims Team is doing a second playtest on a different feature from the apartment customization of the first playtest.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    I've been spending a lot of time watching reaction videos of LBY on YouTube the past couple of days, and I can honestly say my initial concerns about the game are becoming less concerning as I gather more information. And there is a lot of information out there about LBY to wade through. While watching other players' reactions to the announcement and info update about LBY I saw so many others who feel the same as I do. I couldn't quite attach a logical reason to why I was kind of ignoring all the positive vibes I was getting from the announcement video and began to pick apart every little thing that challenged my 20-years-old mindset of what I believed I wanted in a life simulation game. And for someone who has been fairly vocal about the state of Sims4 and how I feel about it, why was I downplaying the stuff I am excited about that is in LBY and not in Sims4? I think it was about a sense of loyalty because the Sims franchise has played such a big part in my life. In almost all of the videos I watched; the host would often apologize for comparing Sims4 to LBY. But that is a difficult thing not to do when the differences are so glaringly obvious.

So, my mind is reeling from the idea we can make in game modifications to just about any object and interaction in the game. Rotational players can put a household in a stasis state while playing other households. A player can choose to play another human without going through Manage Households and two loading screens. Height sliders. Although, the devs need to work on some of the physical interactions to smooth out the differences so kissing and hugging look more realistic. Right now, the taller human is seen kissing the shorter human on the forehead rather than on their lips. It was kind of cute, but I don't think that is what the devs were going for. The humans in LBY are calmer when they interact with others. There's less shuffling around and hand waving, and they actually look at one another while talking. I saw a closeup in one video that gave me a better idea of what the humans look like. And I have to say I really like the hairstyles and how they were created. Very close to the type of CC hairs I use now. At the moment babies and toddlers will not be in the Early Release. The teams are still working on getting those two life stages right before adding them in and they probably won't be ready until the base game is released. If and when I miss infants and toddlers, I can always play Sims4.

RL has not been easy these past few weeks. And that probably had something to do with my mixed feelings about LBY. We were planning to move into a rental while our new place is being built. But the current renters are in the middle of a serious health crisis involving one of their children and simply don't have the time and resources to move. So, hubby decided we should just move our motorhome to the new property and live on site until it's move in ready. My brain almost exploded when he 'decided' this was the best and most sensible solution to everyone's problems. My life has been turned upside down for months now, and I am so tired of it. But here we are, sitting in the middle of 3 acres and living in our motorhome. So, I can honestly say having something new and exciting to think about is a great distraction. It is very interesting to read about Project Rene then watch videos about LBY. I am hoping for a new update on Project Rene to come out soon. I wonder if EA/Maxis will make the effort to be a bit more forthcoming with new updates now that LBY has set an early release date. Probably not. They're still holding on to the idea that no news creates interest. But in reality, no news creates distrust and a ton of speculation that gets us nowhere.

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    How will aging work, is it gradual or in stages?

Right now aging follows the progression of in-game time and each human will have a birthday every year and go up 1 year in age.

Where can I find more information about time/aging (if there is more info avaliable already, that is)?
    Everything else about LBY sounds so good, but I still have trouble wrapping my head around the idea that I leave a family on a wednesday, play a couple of others and then, when I return to my original family, it is monday there and maybe the next season already. It's not a deal breaker, just a sour note.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    How will aging work, is it gradual or in stages?

Right now aging follows the progression of in-game time and each human will have a birthday every year and go up 1 year in age.

Where can I find more information about time/aging (if there is more info avaliable already, that is)?
    Everything else about LBY sounds so good, but I still have trouble wrapping my head around the idea that I leave a family on a wednesday, play a couple of others and then, when I return to my original family, it is monday there and maybe the next season already. It's not a deal breaker, just a sour note.

At normal speed, one second of real life equals a minute of the game time. So 24 minutes of real life is a day in-game. It takes 365 game days, 365*24 minutes = 146 hours of real life, for the humans to age up 1 year.

So assuming you play a human from birth to death at age 80 in normal speed without any time skips, that's 146 hours*80 = 11,680 real-life hours!
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    @simmerorigin Thanks for taking the time to do the math. Numbers generally don't lie and knowing how many Real Life hours we will be investing in each human is helpful. The more days I have with my humans the better I like having an open world to explore, and the ability to mod the game to suit my play style. Then when we add in the fact that there is a real calendar year with months and yearly birthdays, perhaps with other anniversaries as well, we get a better sense of the passage of time while playing. I have tried to create my own version of a year in Sims4 using the in-game calendar set at 28 days while playing through each season three times before moving on to the next. It works fairly well but is not an ideal solution. I have always played with aging off because I am a rotational player and play more families than single Sims. And I am a little controlling about the babies, toddlers, kids and teens having the skills for their age groups maxed out before I age them up.

The only questions I have about aging and rotational play are how many households we will be able to place on pause, meaning that household will be in stasis in our absence and how that will affect the passing of time in the world as a whole. From what I have read and seen about LBY, that has not been addressed yet. It is a feature that is quite important to me as a rotational player, so I am hoping I find more information on that soon.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

The more I see the more am excited.I can't wait preorder this game.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Too be honest if LYU offers me what Sims 4 has not offered me, I will go with LBY as Sims 4 just did not hit the spot and it all felt the same. Sure, they made some improvements but still not enough to win me over. I have not played Sims 4 for a long, long time.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options

So assuming you play a human from birth to death at age 80 in normal speed without any time skips, that's 146 hours*80 = 11,680 real-life hours!

Thanks for the breakdown!

I always played my Sims games with aging off because I hated how fast everything went, so with it taking that long I might actually keep aging on for this game.

Plus, I love that they have a birthday every year! How fun! I wonder if married couples will have anniversary years.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hi actually I just been waiting until some new Life Simulator gets released. Its been years now and honestly Sims should get competition to really put something new to their game. Anyway it still bothers me that I don't have any kind of car gameplay in the Sims 4 yet.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    @Paigeisin5 So sorry to hear of your housing difficulties and the unexpectedly lengthy transition. If only having a new house was so simple as going into build mode and having no time pass in real life, and poof! your house is there suddenly
  • Options
    @mightysprite Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. I probably came off as a bit of a brat when so many other people are dealing with being homeless and living wherever they can find shelter. I sounded selfish and self-absorbed in that post. Our motorhome is huge and has every amenity one would find in a house, and we have used it to travel all over the country in comfort. What I have been feeling is based in the fact we have left the place where I finished raising my kids and all the memories that go along with that when I should be looking forward to building new memories in a new home hubby and I designed together. And it's funny you mentioned how easy that would be if we lived as Sims. Hubby actually used Build Mode in the Sims4 to plot out different house plans while we were deciding which house to build. He is a structural engineer and can envision what a structure will look like just by looking at the building plans, but I don't have that ability. So, he used Build Mode to help me out. Along the way we made some adjustments and finally settled on a home that will be everything we both want. And today he and our contractor are placing markers for where the foundation will be. The foundation crew will be here tomorrow to start building the forms. Once the weather here calms down and we start to see warmer nights, they'll be able to pour concrete slabs where hubby's greenhouse will eventually be built along with the slab where our barn will be.

Real Life is a process and as humans we often forget it can get messy and frustrating. As someone who deals with anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD, little things like a disruption in my routine can trigger a multitude of emotions that can be overwhelming sometimes. Fortunately, I have found a group that meets once a week just a couple of miles from where we live. I attended my first group session with that group last night and they are an awesome group of people. If we were still living up in the foothills, I wouldn't have met them or received the support I need right now. Today I see progress being made on our property and I have a fresh outlook on my life. I have a lot to be thankful for and for a few months I forgot how blessed I am. It's time for me to step up and be stronger so my husband doesn't feel as if he is doing all of this alone. And if anyone in this community is dealing with the same issues I do, I pray for you to find a way to overcome those issues and live a happy life.

Now let's put all of that in the past and continue to be excited about the information we are getting about Project Rene, Paralives and LBY. How many of you have preordered LBY? I preordered it yesterday. That's how excited I am about it. I thought about waiting for more info then thought about how much I love what little I have seen so far then decided to take a leap of faith and just do it. LBY's Early Access is just 132 days away, but Sims5/Project Rene won't be finished for a long time, and I am a little bored with Sims4 right now. I tried to play earlier today but wasn't able to stay interested in playing for very long. That will probably change in the near future once I stop comparing the differences between Sims4 and LBY. The idea of having choices in what type of games I play has always been at the top of my wants list so abandoning Sims4 now seems premature and in direct contrast to my usual routine.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    I think the most exciting feature for me so far is individual money management. Can't wait to hear more about how that works. I'm thinking allowances for kids and teens, having to save to make purchases. And the game keeps track of it all.
  • Options
    I think the most exciting feature for me so far is individual money management. Can't wait to hear more about how that works. I'm thinking allowances for kids and teens, having to save to make purchases. And the game keeps track of it all.

That's a really great idea! Never thought about that. I like how it said there's a "trade" system. I'm wondering what else we could do with that.
  • Options
    I've been wanting individual bank accounts/money management forever!
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

Me too.
    I had a sim computer mod in TS2 that allowed sims to have their own individual accounts.
    I really enjoyed. Also sims had to pay for their clothes instead of get them for free. A sims wardrobe depended on how they managed or mismanaged their money.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Me too.
    I had a sim computer mod in TS2 that allowed sims to have their own individual accounts.
    I really enjoyed. Also sims had to pay for their clothes instead of get them for free. A sims wardrobe depended on how they managed or mismanaged their money.

Monique's Hacked Computer!
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    edited May 2023
    I'm wondering, if you leave your house, will the agents left at home take care of their needs?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top