Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eek! I Don't Have A Clue

I feel lost in a storm of troopers lol. I have never seen the Star Wars movies and have absolutely no idea about who the characters are or what it's all about.

Please tell me I'm not the only one!

Do you think it would be enjoyable to play if you have no background on SW?

Comments

• Options
    aktexaktex Posts: 367 Member
    me too, when I read the key features, I felt like reading the terms and conditions for something 😂😂😂 But not knowing the plot and the characters will hopefully give me the same feeling my sims must have landing on a strange planet
    tcvoh84l0v7b6kg3g.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,416 Member
    I feel lost in a storm of troopers lol. I have never seen the Star Wars movies and have absolutely no idea about who the characters are or what it's all about.

I guess it would be enjoyable if you like quest type gameplay. You'll learn about the characters as you play.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited August 2020

Oh that's me too :) good to know im not alone... i didn't get a thing in the trailer. The only way it can change my mind is if everything is customizable (the characters, the world...) and if we can skip the story with cheats.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited August 2020
    From what I read it's a game pack set in Star Wars but it doesn't seem (other than faction names and npcs from series) to require knowledge of SW to enjoy. But simply put

Vi Morada: Black girl with colorful hair and wearing red jacket. She's a rebellion spaceship pilot

Rey: The white gir in a white robe like outfitl playing with a lightsaber and robot. She's a jedi in training

Kylo Ren: The masked dude with lightsaber. He is the leader of bad guys obviously

Ohnaka: The spikey lizard man who talks to the trailer's sim player character in the bar(called Cantina) He is a smuggler

Lightsabers are the rave looking swords ppl use. Droids are the robots running around.

The idea of pack is run around gathering reputation with First Order(bad guys) Resistence (good guys) or Scoundrels (smugglers) or you can just run around and buy knick nacks or never use the world and just use build mode.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    telmarina wrote: »

Oh that's me too :) good to know im not alone... i didn't get a thing in the trailer. The only way it can change my mind is if everything is customizable (the characters, the world...) and if we can skip the story with cheats.

I think it will be like the adventures in TS3 World Adventures, where various locals asked you to do different things for them. I think it will be possible to explore much of the world without actually doing the adventure parts.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,552 Member
    aktex wrote: »
    But not knowing the plot and the characters will hopefully give me the same feeling my sims must have landing on a strange planet
    That's a good way to look at it.

And I guess they will probably have an aspiration or two to hand-hold us through the gameplay if desired, like the Strangerville one.
  • Options
    I feel the gameplay be more 'quests to impress then 1 playtrough and your done thing like SV
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I feel the gameplay be more 'quests to impress then 1 playtrough and your done thing like SV

They said you can play for any of the three factions, first order, resistance, or smugglers, so there are at least three different quests.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Thanks for starting this thread. I enjoyed the first 3 Star Wars movies (IV, V, and VI), but quit watching after the first of the prequels. So although I recognize the Storm Troopers and the aliens in the cantina, the rest is new to me. Who knows -- maybe playing with the Sims will get me to watch VII, VIII, and IX.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I don't know anything really about Star Wars....except 30+ years ago my Son's room was decked out in SW (sheets, bedspread, curtains, toys, etc.) That is all he wanted for Birthday or Christmas :D

I am not so sure if it would be enjoyable for me, will wait for the Livestream :)
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

I think I saw the original Star Wars movie when I was a kid. I plan to rewatch it before the pack release, and maybe a couple more if I have time. I'd like to get at least some of the references.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »

They said you can play for any of the three factions, first order, resistance, or smugglers, so there are at least three different quests.

So is the 3 quests meant for the 3 moons or snowballs everyone was trying to guess?
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

So is the 3 quests meant for the 3 moons or snowballs everyone was trying to guess?

Batuu has 3 suns that's the 3 circles on the icon
  • Options
    @WolfNate Thank you :D Yeah, I know nothing about this pack
  • Options
    Click here for info on it I feel ppl not read the 'intro to the pack' post
  • Options
    @WolfNate , thanks for the link! Very interesting :D I thought maybe you could live there, then I saw where it said "Bring It Home"...I guess you can't live there. That's alright, it has captured my attention though. I will keep a close eye on this pack ;)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,941 Member
    Not knowing the Stars War story might be to your advantage. You won't approach it with Stars Wars expectations.
  • Options
    Not knowing the Stars War story might be to your advantage. You won't approach it with Stars Wars expectations.

Yeah, true. I just sit here staring at the computer, reading thru posts/threads .... kinda stumped because I never thought it would be a SW pack :D
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    It is rather odd that this is the first and only pack that literally “speaks a different language.”

The SW jargon was glaring. I barely understood half the game description, so that’s certainly not going to convince me to buy.

It’s obvious they really want to market this game to a very specific niche, otherwise they would’ve used more relatable descriptions for those that don’t “get it” and let the visuals speak for themselves for those that are super invested in SW canon details.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,552 Member
    It is rather odd that this is the first and only pack that literally “speaks a different language.”

The SW jargon was glaring. I barely understood half the game description, so that’s certainly not going to convince me to buy.

It’s obvious they really want to market this game to a very specific niche, otherwise they would’ve used more relatable descriptions for those that don’t “get it” and let the visuals speak for themselves for those that are super invested in SW canon details.

Haha I guess maybe they just thought that everyone these days would have at least watched a few of the Star Wars movies. I guess I probably watched the very first original one when I was a kid, I just can't really remember it.

But, like @simgirl1010 said, it might be better to go into it without expectations. Because, knowing how half-soaked EA does stuff, if I was a major Star Wars fan I'd probably be disappointed with it.
  • Options

Haha I guess maybe they just thought that everyone these days would have at least watched a few of the Star Wars movies. I guess I probably watched the very first original one when I was a kid, I just can't really remember it.

But, like @simgirl1010 said, it might be better to go into it without expectations. Because, knowing how half-soaked EA does stuff, if I was a major Star Wars fan I'd probably be disappointed with it.

Same haha I’ve seen the original ones and maybe a couple of the ones that had Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman but I haven’t seen any of the new ones 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    They did it I think because as Iron Seagull pointed out in one of his reaction videos yesterday, the Star Wars fan base is enormous and stretches at least 2 full generations. The first three movies IV A New Hope, V Empire Strikes Back, and VI Return Of The Jedi were massive block busters when I was a kid. I saw each at least 8-10 times, first in theaters then on VHS over and over again. Then in his teens my son discovered it through the new prequel movies, which admittedly I haven’t seen all of and he is a huge fan himself now too having seen all ten movies multiple times himself. I am sure we aren’t the only family for whom this holds true either. So from a marketing standpoint it’s a pretty ingenious way to bring some new eyes to the game, and maybe spark the interest of some fans who got bored and moved on. So despite it being a controversial pack in the community right now, it could end up a big seller and generate additional sales for the base game.
  • Options
    They did it I think because as Iron Seagull pointed out in one of his reaction videos yesterday, the Star Wars fan base is enormous and stretches at least 2 full generations. The first three movies IV A New Hope, V Empire Strikes Back, and VI Return Of The Jedi were massive block busters when I was a kid. I saw each at least 8-10 times, first in theaters then on VHS over and over again. Then in his teens my son discovered it through the new prequel movies, which admittedly I haven’t seen all of and he is a huge fan himself now too having seen all ten movies multiple times himself. I am sure we aren’t the only family for whom this holds true either. So from a marketing standpoint it’s a pretty ingenious way to bring some new eyes to the game, and maybe spark the interest of some fans who got bored and moved on. So despite it being a controversial pack in the community right now, it could end up a big seller and generate additional sales for the base game.

🤷🏽‍♀️ Maybe if they used words more people understand they’d be able to hook in some folks that are on the fence or indifferent. Literally the first pack that uses such polarizing wth know-it-or-don’t feature descriptions.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Personally, no. When I was small (already playing the Sims 1) I was forced to watch the first movie by an overenthusiastic parent. I did not connect with it and never developed a bond with the IP. In later years, I have even been to Disney rather recently and seen Batu. I was there for Disney, not SW, and that part of the park as well as the rides did not hold my attention.

I liken it to an inside joke you are excluded from. You know there are references and Easter eggs for fans that will make them enjoy this, but you could never be privy to that enjoyment because you do not have the same knowledge and connection.

What's worse about the pack for me is I do not see new gameplay here. It has a bunch of reused things in a vacation world. I made a more comprehensive list elsewhere, but JA relics (artifacts), GF real life celebrities (iconic characters), GF sword fights (lightsabers), DU robotics (droids), and base game rockets/space adventures (spacecrafts). All in a SW painted vacation world. For a GP, it feels really light on gameplay to me.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    For me it will. I have seen the first few Star Wars movies but .. um it was when they came out, maybe the first one again at some point also but it's been so, so long. I do love sci-fi though but more of a Trekkie and Stargate fan and lots of movies .. that lean towards the sci-fi horror genre.
    I know I can use the sci-fi elements, build/buy and CAS. But I am feeling kind of left out since I'm not a fan of Star Wars admittedly.
    I plan on rewatching the movies .. the old ones as I'm not sure I'll enjoy the newer stuff. I've also played the Star Wars Old Republic games with friends so I'm aware of some of the story from that angle too.
    I am looking forward to sending in a sim and aligning with a group and just actually playing out the stories as presented. I've never done that before as my (fan-girl) stories always get in the way when I get a new pack and bend it to my will.
    egTcBMc.png