The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4: Alternate Vacation Suggestions?

NOTE: I am NOT looking for expansion/game/stuff pack or future content proposals. This is for gameplay suggestions with existing content.

I want to take my Sims on an overnight vacation somewhere, and I've done Outdoor Retreat and that's all fine and good, but I'd like to take them somewhere else. Is there a way to have them spend the night somewhere else? (I would think any community lot with a bed might be able to work as a mock hotel or something if I can also lock doors?)

Has anyone tried this before with any success? Or somehow mimicked a vacation like getaway? I'd love any suggestions! It can be an existing lot that would be in the base-game or if there's something on the gallery, that's fine too. I have every Expansion, Stuff, and Game Pack (except Toddlers Stuff, but I don't think that'd be relevant for this.)

In this particular case, I'm looking for a romantic getaway for my Sim who is a vet with her boyfriend.
Again, not looking for expansion pack suggestions. Just looking for current-content gameplay ideas.

Comments

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I turned that big lot on the water in Newcrest into a B&B. The property is so large that it has a whole bunch of other facilities as well.
  • Options
    Fellow_SimmerFellow_Simmer Posts: 46 Member
    Hey Silentspy,

I really like the challenge you are looking for :). I would suggest try sleeping at the park (no door locking option though :/ ), or go to a neighbor, and try to sleep there for the night. If you are looking for something different, perhaps something from the gallery, search up guest house, or small wood house, and you should get plenty of results. If you do not like them, you can check out my profile, I do have a guest/family house. Of course you can try sleeping at the nightclub or any other public facility that may be open 24/7. Let me know how it goes!

Simmer
    I <3 the community! It's great to see so many people out here
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited January 2018
    I've been meaning to put a really nice old fashioned resort "hotel" lot (think The Stanely Hotel in Colorado aka the hotel that inspired the Overlook in The Shining) on the big 64x64 lot on Windenburg Island. Then I want to take the rest of the lots on the island and add in other destination style lots (like a spa or maybe a lighthouse type restaurant if I can find one on the gallery) between those, the bluffs and the quaintness of the rest of mainland Windeburg (which I'm also redoing to add in more things to do there) I think it will make an excellent destination area. I might even try to make the hotel haunted so that between it and being able to possibly catch sight of Emily on the bluffs it can be a fun Cryptid type destination spot as well. I have lots of ideas I just haven't had the time or desire to do so too busy playing my new Legacy family lol.

Any of the other areas can be tailored like that (I also have a crashed UFO area in Oasis Springs that I'm working on putting together) but I think Windeburg and Oasis Springs are the best for it since they're the most "different" to the other available worlds.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    It's certainly doable. I built a pirate-themed tavern in BB - basically, a bar with bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs. And in Windenburg I built an inn - in this case a restaurant with accommodation upstairs. Both work well. Basically, as long as you put in all the necessary amenities, your sims will be happy to stay there as long as you want. I've never even bothered with door-locking, although you could.
  • Options
    PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    If you need ideas on what to build, try looking on YouTube for hotel speedbuilds, or something of the sort. I see videos for different ones all the time. I'm sure searching a hotel or inn hashtag on the Gallery would give you some ones, too. If you want it to be romantic, you could always redecorate a room to be a "honeymoon" suite.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Also if you set it to a General lot it doesn't spawn visitors... well they might walk around it but they don't go in. I set up home away from home places now and then for my sims this way.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Can they not take a tent with them and pitch it somewhere - like in a park, etc?
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    When my two sims got married, they rented an apartment in San Myshuno for their honeymoon and took in the sights.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    There are also quite a few really nice lots on the Gallery that are encapsulations of a certain vacation type areas. Usually they are large, 50x50 or larger, and have titles like Little New York, Little Venice, etc, etc. I will switch those in and out of my game, just to tour them, stay there if they have a bed, etc. I put in the buffet table if they don't have one, or I just add stuff to make it a restaurant with bedrooms. You can't lock community lots anymore, but you can go into Build Mode and take out the door temporarily if Sims are coming into your sleeping room. I haven't had much trouble with that unless there is something in there that attracts them, like a TV, stereo, computer, etc.

Another fun thing is to DL or build a Spa with bedrooms. There is a lot of stuff to do if you have that pack and like those activities.
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I like taking my sims to the bluffs in Windenberg. I find the island is pretty private so they don't get disturbed when they are on a date, etc. I just edit the lot slightly to make sure their basic needs can be met while they're there
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,185 Member
    I happen to have a miniature Venice uploaded to the gallery.it's classed as a retail lot, but that can be changed to a different lot type.
    I also have a small wild west town, if you want something less romantic but more historical.
    There are lots of similar theme lots/mini cities to be found on the gallery. Do make sure your computer can handle it - these lots tend to be big with loads of items and will often cause lag on low-end machines (at least my old laptop could barely handle it).
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    ghilieghilie Posts: 243 Member
    Maybe the museum in Brindleton Bay? There's a living area up on the third floor and a graveyard to explore.
    nZLbne1.jpg

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    I turned that big lot on the water in Newcrest into a B&B. The property is so large that it has a whole bunch of other facilities as well.
    FKM100 wrote: »
    It's certainly doable. I built a pirate-themed tavern in BB - basically, a bar with bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs. And in Windenburg I built an inn - in this case a restaurant with accommodation upstairs. Both work well. Basically, as long as you put in all the necessary amenities, your sims will be happy to stay there as long as you want. I've never even bothered with door-locking, although you could.

Could ya'll please share how to find your creations?
    When my two sims got married, they rented an apartment in San Myshuno for their honeymoon and took in the sights.

Our sims can rent an apt when they already have a house? How do you do that?
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited January 2018
    You can set a lot as general, no one else should show up if that's your concern. I have a hotel set as a restaurant with rooms above it, so you could try that. Or I guess it could be set as a spa too, I'm sure there's some great ones on the gallery. :):)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I've built several "hotels" that are restaurants with rooms upstairs and different amenities such as a spa or gym or swimming pool or bowling alley. Sims will come to eat in the restaurant and use the amenities but only your sims will stay overnight.

There are all in the gallery: #dannydanbo
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited January 2018
    @edandy10 has a baseball park resort on the gallery it might just fit the bill. It has a spa an apartment a wedding place etc.

here is a screen shot https://imgur.com/a/h2ATM