Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How can I make my pets get along?

My sims just adopted two kittens and I had in my head that they'd be the best of friends, but they don't seem to like each other much, they keep hissing at each other. I swear I saw an option to make a pet be nice to another but I don't see it... is there any way to try and make them get along more? (via gameplay mechanics, not cheats or mods!)

Comments

• Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I believe there is an interaction 'Be friendly to ...' It may not be there for kittens and puppies though (may be there only for grown cats and dogs) or the owner may need a higher relationship before it comes up.
  • Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    I believe there is an interaction 'Be friendly to ...' It may not be there for kittens and puppies though (may be there only for grown cats and dogs) or the owner may need a higher relationship before it comes up.

Hmm okay, ta, will keep an eye out for it when they age up :)
  • Options

My kittens have aged now, do you know how high their relationship with the owner has to be by any chance? It's currently good friends, does it have to be even higher than that? :/
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    samemie wrote: »

My kittens have aged now, do you know how high their relationship with the owner has to be by any chance? It's currently good friends, does it have to be even higher than that? :/

I think only friends should be enough. I've seen the option come up then
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    I checked in one of my saves that my sims have 6 pets - it is apparently a trait related interaction only because it only comes up on the dog that has the friendly trait so the dogs would have to have the friendly trait for that interaction to come up. You could try using cheats to change their traits.
    Are they actually fighting a lot or just not having much to do with each other? Even in the house with 6 pets - the pets don't have much interaction with each other positive or negative - they all just kind of do there own thing - so that is pretty normal. They don't seem to play with each other much like they did in Sims 2 pets :(
  • Options
    TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member
    Okay, I am so glad that someone brought this up - because I am curious about it as well!

I have this cat named Star. She's the first pet in my current favorite save. She's the "Queen of the House." One of the Sims in this house has a perfect relationship with her.

39340209192_cefa9a49ee.jpg

She has not gotten along with ANY of these cats that I have tried to add to the house. Star doesn't have the Friendly Trait & neither do any of these cats. She got into many fights with these two cats. I just felt so bad, and I put them up for adoption. Star was in the house first, so I didn't think it would be fair to put her up for adoption. *I'm such a bad pet owner*

39369959641_c312c56fd6.jpg
    39340215652_5cc469a1d1.jpg

I haven't seen the "be nice to" option come up for any of these cats. I recently added this cat to the house. He and Star have gotten into one fight. Since then, they sniff each other and then they go about their business. Since they have only gotten into one scuffle, I kept him in the house. And the fact that he's SO cute didn't hurt. ;)

38492347355_71f3aa9b45.jpg
    Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi
  • Options
    @TheSimsBoi13

Cats would be the same - would need the friendly trait. So many fights seems odd though - was playing a house with 6 pets and only one has the friendly trait and I do not remember much fighting. And actually it is a animal rescue house so only one cat and one dog are their permanent pets - the other ones they adopt, get well, clean up, train up, and then I use manage worlds to give them to other sims households - even with new cats and dogs coming in all the time I do not remember much fighting. Some will fight with cats/dogs outside the house when they are roaming around and I imagine any with an aggressive trait might fight - though I think they mainly harass sims and not other pets. Maybe try catnip for cats or maybe there is a treat that helps - not sure about that - I mainly use the wellness treat so do not remember what all the treats are or do.

You are not a bad pet owner - likely just personality clashes! I have cats in real life and some like each other and some don't - even after years of living together - some of my cats will still fight every once in a while - I just stomp my foot on the floor and that startles them and they stop or I separate them for a while until they cool down!

There is something strange in the game in general that I have seen others write on the forums about and have seen in the game myself - like a mean greeting - it looks like two sims doing the teen 'act tough' interaction to each other when they meet (there is also a kiss-kiss one now) - maybe that is somehow causing more fighting?

Your cats are so cute - the one looks like the Pink Panther! So sorry you had to put them for adoption :(
  • Options
    AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited December 2017
    Two of my cats get along great. They were play fightinga few hours ago ^_^
  • Options
    I checked in one of my saves that my sims have 6 pets - it is apparently a trait related interaction only because it only comes up on the dog that has the friendly trait so the dogs would have to have the friendly trait for that interaction to come up. You could try using cheats to change their traits.
    Are they actually fighting a lot or just not having much to do with each other? Even in the house with 6 pets - the pets don't have much interaction with each other positive or negative - they all just kind of do there own thing - so that is pretty normal. They don't seem to play with each other much like they did in Sims 2 pets :(

Huh, that's interesting and that might be it. I think one of the cats is friendly, but I'd have to check that and it might just be that I was clicking on the wrong one, ie the one who isn't friendly. As kittens they seemed to fight, they'd hiss at each other a lot and their thought bubbles made me think they didn't like each other. I'll have a look and see if the friendly one has the "be nice to" option. I was just hoping to breed them, that's the only reason I was bothered by it. Thanks for the advice, hope you're right :)
  • Options
    After making my sim companions with the friendly cat, there's still no "be nice to" option :( She can encourage them to breed but a) I assume if they don't like each other they won't and b) I was hoping they'd just breed on their own for story purposes.
  • Options
    Sorry about the misinformation about cats - I had checked to see if cats also had the friendly trait in CAS, and they do, so I assumed they would have the "Be friendly to ..." interaction also but I just did another test play with a dog and cat - both with the friendly trait - and only the dog has that interaction. Not sure why cats do not have it - may be an oversight - not sure. They may still breed - do not really think they are that fussy about who they do so with! Not sure though - I have not played with breeding at all - have just read that pets often get pregnant when roaming around.
  • Options
    Sorry about the misinformation about cats - I had checked to see if cats also had the friendly trait in CAS, and they do, so I assumed they would have the "Be friendly to ..." interaction also but I just did another test play with a dog and cat - both with the friendly trait - and only the dog has that interaction. Not sure why cats do not have it - may be an oversight - not sure. They may still breed - do not really think they are that fussy about who they do so with! Not sure though - I have not played with breeding at all - have just read that pets often get pregnant when roaming around.

Ah okay. Thanks for the update. Shame there isn't an option like that for cats... will see how it plays out. :)
  • Options
    delimariverdelimariver Posts: 10 New Member
    I'm trying to get my cat to breed with another cat outside the household. Whenever I try, they always hiss at each other. Any ideas on how to get them to like each other?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I'm trying to get my cat to breed with another cat outside the household. Whenever I try, they always hiss at each other. Any ideas on how to get them to like each other?

@delimariver To be honest it's been months since I asked this question and I still don't really know the answer. Sometimes my pets just get along, and sometimes they just don't. However, I did have two cats who seemed to dislike each other autonomously breed before so if you're asking because you're hoping to breed them then I don't think it makes much of a difference anyway, maybe just keep trying? Sorry I can't help more!
  • Options
    alyssad9918alyssad9918 Posts: 34 Member
    > @delimariver said:
    > I'm trying to get my cat to breed with another cat outside the household. Whenever I try, they always hiss at each other. Any ideas on how to get them to like each other?

I'm having the same exact issue! I haven't found the answer anywhere though :/
    giphy.gif
    origin ID: alyssad9918
  • Options
    elizaturrillelizaturrill Posts: 5 New Member
    Did anyone ever find a solution to this?? I've been trying to cat my cat to breed for a while and every cat she meets it has the red x and they hiss. I haven't ever had the "be nice to" option pop up.
  • Options
    elizaturrillelizaturrill Posts: 5 New Member
    Update: ok I got it to work! What I did was just add a neighborhood cat to my family my typing in testingcheats true then shift clicking on the cat and clicking "add to family" then when I tried to get my cat to breed with them it worked first try! Then you can shift click and remove from family.
  • Options
    Kenz51Kenz51 Posts: 1 New Member
    I> @elizaturrill said:
    > Update: ok I got it to work! What I did was just add a neighborhood cat to my family my typing in testingcheats true then shift clicking on the cat and clicking "add to family" then when I tried to get my cat to breed with them it worked first try! Then you can shift click and remove from family.

I have been having this same issue and was able to resolve it through doing this! Thank you :)
  • Options
    darkroomxdaisydarkroomxdaisy Posts: 52 Member
    Following for help! I had 2 adult dogs (male and female), 90% of the time they're great with each other, mated and had puppies.. But then every once in awhile the male would start a fight the female, my sim would need to intervene and tell the male not to start fights, then the male would promptly run away afterwards. (Even though our relationship value was as high as could be and best friends) It got incredibly annoying!